Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Pick the best prospect from the following
Beck, Jack 39 41.05%
Boltmann, Jake 7 7.37%
Ciona, Lucas 2 2.11%
Duehr, Walker 3 3.16%
Feuk, Lucas 1 1.05%
Kirkland, Justin 1 1.05%
Koumontzis, Demetrios 1 1.05%
Lerby, Carl-Johan 0 0%
Nikolaev, Ilya 16 16.84%
Nodler, Josh 4 4.21%
Philp, Luke 6 6.32%
Poolman, Colton 2 2.11%
Sergeev, Arseni 0 0%
Tuulola, Eetu 3 3.16%
Werner, Adam 6 6.32%
Yelesin, Alxander 4 4.21%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-30-2021, 08:02 AM   #1
Bingo
Owner

Exp:
Default Calgarypuck Prospect Ranking 2021 - Round 26

Welcome to the annual Calgarypuck Prospect Poll!

As per usual ...

1. Rank the prospects as you like. Upside, chances, or trade value
2. I will try and do one a day which should get us to rookie camp range
3. Graduates and/or runoffs will be determined in each case
4. Please don't complain that the polls are going to deep. We go until all the prospects are ranked, so don't vote if you don't want to.

Link to previous years ... Link

2021 Ranking:
1. Coronato, Matthew 44%
2. Zary, Connor 65%
3. Pelletier, Jacob 86%
4. Wolf, Dustin 40%
5. Vladar, Daniel 45%
6. Mackey, Connor 38%
7. Stromgren, William 26%
8. Kuznetsov, Yan 36%
9. Ruzicka, Adam 27%
10. Kinnvall, Johannes 29%
11. Heineman, Emil 38%
12. Francis, Ryan 30%
13. Poirier, Jeremie 46%
14. Phillips, Matthew 38%
15. Pospisil, Martin 34%
16. Pettersen, Emilio Mathias 59%
17. Gawdin, Glen 28%
18. Jordan, Cole (Run Off)
19. Huckins, Cole (Run Off)
20. Parsons, Tyler 28%
21. Whynot, Cameron (Run Off)
22. Kerins, Rory (Run Off)
23. Chechelev, Daniil 26%
24. Zavagorodny, Dmitry 28%
25. Solovyov, Ilya 35%
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 08:25 AM   #2
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Keep in mind the long list of guys selected in the 20+ range that have played

Bouma
Ferland
Kulak
Ortio
Gilmour
Jooris
Mangiapane
Hathaway
Sielof
Rittich
Phillips
Ruzicka
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 09:09 AM   #3
shutout
First Line Centre

Exp:

Pronman lists the Flames prospects group as # 26 in the NHL

https://theathletic.com/2794625/2021...thew-coronato/

His list of Flames prospects

1. Matthew Coronato, RW, Chicago-USHL
2. Connor Zary, C, Kamloops-WHL
3. Jakob Pelletier, LW, Val-d’Or-QMJHL
4. Juuso Valimaki, LHD, Calgary-NHL
5. Adam Rucizka, C, Stockton-AHL
6.#Mathias Emilio Pettersen, C, Stockton-AHL
7. Cameron Whynot, LHD, Halifax-QMJHL
8.#Yan Kuznetsov, LHD, Connecticut-Hockey East#
9.#Dustin Wolf, G, Everett-WHL
10. William Stromgren, LW, MODO-Allsvenskan
11. Jeremie Poirier, LHD, Saint John-QMJHL
12. Martin Pospisil, C, Stockton-AHL
13. Cole Huckins, C, Acadie-Bathurst-QMJHL
14. Ryan Francis, C, Saint John-QMJHL
15. Emil Heineman, LW, Leksands-SHL
16. Rory Kerins, C, Sault Ste. Marie-OHL
Old 08-30-2021, 09:12 AM   #4
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pronman’s article is not prospects it is 23 and younger assets. Tkachuk just graduated from his list last year which is a key reason the team dropped from 12 to 26 this year
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2021, 10:13 AM   #5
NewFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I guess I'm the only one who hopes Eetu has a chance to become NHLer.
NewFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 01:00 PM   #6
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Voted Boltman on his draft position alone. His numbers dont jump off the page, but the NCAA is a good place for late bloomers.

Nikolaev could be voted by the same logic, and rumors about coming to N.A are encouraging.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 01:00 PM   #7
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewFan View Post
I guess I'm the only one who hopes Eetu has a chance to become NHLer.
Everyone hopes it, but few believe it will happen.
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 01:43 PM   #8
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Josh Nodler time. He's No. 20 on my personal list. I think he has a moderate chance to play NHL games. Well-rounded centre and by far the most impressive player on a very underwhelming MSU Spartans team.

TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 02:51 AM   #9
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

This is where my long-shot tier starts (followed by the see ya tier, sponsored by Jim Cummins?).

Toss-up between the two players who were selected five picks apart in Jack Beck and Lucas Ciona, but ultimately settled on Lucas Ciona as I feel he will be badly underrated due to the circumstances he plays in. This is the stage where I shift noticeably from ceiling to probability of playing at all and while Beck has the higher ceiling, Ciona is more likely to play. Both longshots at this stage, though.

Considered
Jack Beck
Lucas Ciona
Ilya Nikolayev
Walker Duehr
Lucas Feuk

Jack Beck
Undersized winger who missed a critical development year. Not much to go on as a result but can't discount the missed year - like with Rory Kerins. Sounds like he can fly around the ice.

Lucas Ciona
Big frame and not afraid to use it to crash and bang and create turnovers in the offensive zone. Skating needs some work obviously but still saw some PK deployment. Will be underrated due to sub-5% shooting impacting boxcars though not saying he doesn't project as a grinder. In his 76-game WHL career, the rebuilding Thunderbirds have broken even with him on the ice but were -23 with him off which may surprise. Organic Flames-guided growth of his own plus his rebuilding team's yearly improvement could see him jump next season. Here's hoping he does.

Ilya Nikolayev
What an odd way to split time: played part of the season on the powerhouse Loko team who led the MHL in both wins and goals for, while also playing part of the season on the lowly Buran squad that finished with the second fewest wins in the VHL. Known as an all-around two-way centre but tough to gauge with those circumstances. Looking forward to seeing him in North America this season. In my opinion his game is better suited to smaller ice.

Walker Duehr
The former teammate of Connor Mackey is an absolute beast of a right-shot power forward who isn't a liability defensively and hits like a battering ram. Players in his mold often get looks in the 4W spots so he could see some NHL time in 2022-23 should he not look out of place in his first season as a pro in the AHL, which is more promising than most players at this point of the exercise.

Lucas Feuk
Likely completely written off by many due to levelling down, Lucas Feuk still holds a glimmer of hope in my eyes. The scrappy shoot-first winger probably doesn't have the defensive game to make it, but he is arguably the most gifted goal scorer left at this point (not that that is saying much) and his "grit" shows well to people who could give him a chance.

Not Considered
Colton Poolman - He will be 26 in December, has no notable strengths, and has a lineup ahead of him at LD. All the best.
Carl-Johan Lerby - Unlikely to return from Europe. Was worth a shot.
Justin Kirkland - By all accounts a good mid-age presence for the farm but that's it.
Alex Yelesin - Unlikely to return from Europe. Was worth a shot.
Eetu Tuulola - I don't think he's ever going to skate well enough to make it.
Luke Philp - Feel-good story but unlikely to make it. Should have a good career in other leagues, though. Derek Ryan is one of the largest outliers of the past 20 years - cheer for them but don't bet on them.
Josh Nodler - Hated this pick at the time. Jim Cummins liked him though. Soft as baby ____.
Demetrios Koumontzis - A wasted pick on this Jim Cummins high school special. Hopefully the winger will finally hit the five-goal mark for the first time in his college career as a senior.
Jake Boltmann - Could very well be Patrick Sieloff in disguise. Another Jim Cummins high school spot. Hopefully he shows some ability to transition the puck and actually gets on the scoresheet this season after getting blanked in all 19+6 games last.
Mitchell Mattson - I swear I'm not a broken record. Jim Cummins fought for this high school standout and the Flames wasted a draft pick on him for some reason. Took the big forward until his third year of college to score a goal and hey he scored two!

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."

Last edited by united; 09-30-2021 at 02:57 AM.
united is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 02:51 AM   #10
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

Here is how the two public models see this round compared to my choice. JFresh/TopDownHockey don't have a projection for Beck due to his missed season so showing the round runner-up instead. Please note that the criteria each model uses for star and NHLer is different! JFresh/TopDownHockey will almost always be lower than Bader's as their thresholds are a much higher standard so adjust accordingly.

Hockey Prospecting
Calgary's own, and fellow Flames fan, Byron Bader runs the excellent site, Hockey Prospecting. You have likely seen his graphics before. At just $25/year his site is a wonderful resource for any fan interested in prospects. You can register here and support Bader's work if you are interested: https://hockeyprospecting.com/register/

Spoiler!

JFresh/TopDownHockey
JFresh and his partner TopDownHockey introduced their NHLe model this year. You will be familiar with the NHL player graphics they produce regularly. At $7/month the subscription is a no-brainer for any hockey fan. You can register here and support their work if you are interested: https://www.patreon.com/jfreshhockey
Spoiler!

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."
united is offline   Reply With Quote