Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2021, 09:53 AM   #3081
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Djokovic just knows how to close out sets.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 10:16 AM   #3082
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

I think you can tank sets if you're the favorite. But the underdog has to show that he's still viable. Or else tanking a set will lead to a steamroll.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 10:21 AM   #3083
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

And that's that. Good effort from Matteo, but he needed to be several levels higher to have a real shot.
Old 07-11-2021, 10:21 AM   #3084
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

You get the sense that unless Berretini wins the point with his serve it's over before it starts. Djokovic isn't going to lose a rally at this stage of the match. He won't permit it. And that puts so much pressure on the serve that it can't hold up.

That's the match right there.

Frankly Denis played him better.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 10:28 AM   #3085
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

The thing is Novak didn't even have to play his A game to win either match, he upped his game when he really needed to, but otherwise it was smooth sailing with the B game.
Old 07-11-2021, 10:30 AM   #3086
Izzle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Novak's base level game is just too high. Only Stanimal can challenge it at this point.
Izzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 10:35 AM   #3087
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yet again, the four words that sum up Novak Djokovic as a dominant player: "...Well, that was anticlimactic."
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2021, 10:36 AM   #3088
Izzle
First Line Centre

Exp:

At this point, GOAT debate is over.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Izzle For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2021, 10:38 AM   #3089
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Yet again, the four words that sum up Novak Djokovic as a dominant player: "...Well, that was anticlimactic."
After watching the first set and seeing Novak going up 3-zip in set 2, I went and played tennis with my wife and daughter. My wife asked me "You're going to miss who wins the final?"

I replied, "No I'm not"

/Got back just in time to see the final game.
dash_pinched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 10:38 AM   #3090
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good for Novak he deserved that, he was the best player at Wimbledon no doubt. Is he the greatest Wimbledon player ever, or is it Federer or Sampras? US Open will be fun 20-20-20
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 10:40 AM   #3091
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^^^^I mean Stan is 36 coming off foot surgery, he's not a serious threat to Novak anymore. At this point no one is a serious threat to Novak, except pretty much Novak himself. As long as he is engaged mentally he'll be the favorite for at least the next five majors. New York has been his nemesis if there is a nemesis major for him, so maybe he slips up with the pressure of the calendar slam there. At the same time the crowd will probably hate him more than ever, only ensuring he wins. If they really want to #### with him in New York they should cheer him like he's Roger, might short circuit his brain and cause him to lose.
Old 07-11-2021, 10:40 AM   #3092
Izzle
First Line Centre

Exp:

To think, this match could've ended much earlier lol.
Old 07-11-2021, 10:43 AM   #3093
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Good for Novak. 21 is coming I think.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 10:43 AM   #3094
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's not the only time the locals want to see Italy finishing 2nd best today.
Old 07-11-2021, 10:46 AM   #3095
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

The craziest number Novak could reach now is 400 weeks at #1, he's gonna have a real shot at it too with only 72 weeks to go and it virtually guaranteed he spends the rest of this year as #1.
Old 07-11-2021, 10:48 AM   #3096
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzle View Post
At this point, GOAT debate is over.
... Is it? I guess it depends what you think the mantle describes. In terms of career accomplishments it isn't yet but will be soon, he's going to win at least another Major or two. Maybe even five. In terms of peak? That's very much a debate and always will be. In terms of just a sense of greatness - the feeling that you're watching someone special do something incredible and that you, as a spectator, are experiencing an important moment in sport - he never had much of a chance at being the GOAT in that sense.
Old 07-11-2021, 10:51 AM   #3097
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Novak mentioned 2011 as the turning point of his career and this video details it quite well.

Old 07-11-2021, 11:00 AM   #3098
Izzle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
... Is it? I guess it depends what you think the mantle describes. In terms of career accomplishments it isn't yet but will be soon, he's going to win at least another Major or two. Maybe even five. In terms of peak? That's very much a debate and always will be. In terms of just a sense of greatness - the feeling that you're watching someone special do something incredible and that you, as a spectator, are experiencing an important moment in sport - he never had much of a chance at being the GOAT in that sense.
Ok Rolex lol

Jokes aside... The breadth of his achievements are staggering. Double career grand slams. Roger is missing a second FO. Rafa a second AO. Neither players have a double golden Masters.

There are more but typing on a cell phone is tough.
Old 07-11-2021, 11:02 AM   #3099
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
In both total career accomplishments and absolute peak form, I think Djoker takes it. I’ve just never found him that compelling to watch because it’s like a supercomputer trash human grandmasters with cold unassailable logic.

It’s not the da vinci painting of Roger or the animal fire of Rafa, which is why he’ll never have the same number of fans as those two. But the history books won’t care much about that, it’s the hard numbers that will stand the test of time.
Inglewood Jack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 11:05 AM   #3100
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I mean he's literally two events away from doing something no one in the history of the men's game has done, so what more do you want? I get people really hate Novak, and he's more of a machine than a guy who delivers excitement and flair, but I also think he's easily the most disrespected athlete of our time. I feel like it's pretty special and incredible that he can be treated like trash by the crowd and still make them shut the #### up time and again. His mental strength is maybe the greatest we've ever seen from any athlete.