Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2017, 02:25 PM   #41
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It's almost exactly the ####ing same including the d-bag move of cutting across lanes at the last second.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 03:33 PM   #42
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

If that's a dbag move then my entire view on driving must be wrong. Maybe we need to get that posted in the GMG thread and let the masses judge GWE for his driving. (figured I'd post it myself. We shall let the masses judge.)

He moved over well before that lane ended. Not even close to right before. And when he didn't do anything close to cut across two lanes. His moves from the right to middle, then middle to left were both safe given the traffic, speed and conditions. At no point did he gun it then move over aggressively nor did it appear that he slammed on his brakes as soon as he moved over creating a dangerous situation for those behind him.

The only thing in the entire video that is perhaps even the slightest bit unsafe is that he moves from the right to the middle lane at the exact spot that cars coming from Bow Trail and 10th ave would be merging. If one of those cars needs to get off at memorial they may attempt to change lanes quickly. But even that's not even close to being wrong, I just wouldn't recommend it.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 11-03-2017 at 03:38 PM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 03:50 PM   #43
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Here's why that move is bad. People are trying to merge left to right to take Memorial east, not easy given the amount of road available. People that drive in the far right lane with full intentions of continuing on Crowchild complicate the process and frankly create dangerous situations. Many take the right lane and merge at the last second to beat traffic, or what in reality turns out to be only a few cars. Often other cars have to stop quickly because of some jackass signaling and force merging left. And because of the late merging other cars will do a risky move to left lane to get around the merge choke point.

That is one of the highest accident locations in the City because of this. Now maybe GreatWhite doesn't normally do that, but it looks like the pattern of someone that does it par for the course.

To be clear that stretch of road is very poorly designed but selfish drivers make it worse.
Old 11-03-2017, 04:10 PM   #44
GreatWhiteEbola
First Line Centre

Exp:

The only selfish driver IMO was the Santa Fe driver, not allowing me to merge and speeding up to match my speed. I was indicating my intentions and as per usual the Santa Fe driver quickly closed the gap, and because of the Santa Fe's previous slow speed there was several cars behind them, further making a merge at that point more difficult. What I did in that situation was the safest possible way to go about it when you factor in the uncontrollable decisions of the drivers around me.

I am hyper aware of where I can make maneuvers. I noticed the white van in the left lane coming up to the merge point well in advance and indicated my intentions in advance. I completed my lane change safely and before the white van could legally change lanes. The white van had more than enough room to make their lane change in front of the Jetta driving 30% slower than the speed limit.

As I see it, there's nothing wrong with that road other than people who can't navigate traffic effectively. In this video at no time did I cut anyone off or compromise the safety of others. Because history has created an opinion in your mind, it is not an effective way to determine future actions without knowing all the details.

I contemplated editing the video down, but thought to myself there's no way someone would be pedantic enough to criticize that lane change...

Last edited by GreatWhiteEbola; 11-03-2017 at 04:16 PM.
GreatWhiteEbola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 04:12 PM   #45
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

You should have already been in the left lane before you approached the bridge.
Old 11-03-2017, 04:14 PM   #46
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't stress out - you did literally nothing wrong. Road wasn't busy, speed was reasonable, sufficient room in each lane change. A+ grade from AMA driving school.

Do SJW's extend their reach to traffic now too? Don't dare offend anyone on the road!
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2017, 04:21 PM   #47
GreatWhiteEbola
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
You should have already been in the left lane before you approached the bridge.
Wow... all the way from Glenmore? Would that have been satisfactory?

The Following User Says Thank You to GreatWhiteEbola For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2017, 04:23 PM   #48
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
To be clear that stretch of road is very poorly designed but selfish drivers make it worse.
This is the whole flaw here. Not the drivers but how that stretch manages merging traffic. But that's why left merge is being eliminated.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 04:26 PM   #49
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWhiteEbola View Post
Wow... all the way from Glenmore? Would that have been satisfactory?
How about be sensible and get into the left lane when it is much easier, and safer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
Do SJW's extend their reach to traffic now too? Don't dare offend anyone on the road!
People are SJW's now when pointing out questionable driving? Give your head a good shake.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
Don't stress out - you did literally nothing wrong.
Wrong, that exact move has caused many accidents I've seen it myself.

Last edited by zamler; 11-03-2017 at 04:29 PM.
Old 11-03-2017, 04:27 PM   #50
GreatWhiteEbola
First Line Centre

Exp:

In the video you can see that traveling 50 km/h presents no issues at the point of lane realignment. That would decrease though if the lane markings were covered in snow or with an increase in speed.

Old 11-03-2017, 04:29 PM   #51
GreatWhiteEbola
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
How about be sensible and get into the left lane when it is much easier, and safer.
Noted and I'll judge myself accordingly. You've been a big help.

Old 11-03-2017, 04:31 PM   #52
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

You can be sarcastic and smug all you want but what you did was not the best practice, you have a much better and safer place to change lanes 500-1000 meters back. And it will not slow you down in any way, notice all the other cars in the lane you merged in to? They were doing it right.
Old 11-03-2017, 04:38 PM   #53
GreatWhiteEbola
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
You can be sarcastic and smug all you want but what you did was not the best practice, you have a much better and safer place to change lanes 500-1000 meters back. And it will not slow you down in any way, notice all the other cars in the lane you merged in to? They were doing it right.
You weren't there and you only see a small portion of what transpired, I tried explaining it to you the best that I could. I tried offering some insight into the topic. I got an A+ from Ducay and that will help me sleep tonight.

Old 11-03-2017, 04:39 PM   #54
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Heh, way to wait in that lane to the very end just before it forces you to turn and then cut across the two lanes to get in front of those two vehicles.

I'm looking at the whole video and it took me reading the comments and seeing the video multiple times later to realize what you are talking about...

I see nothing wrong with what he did, there's plenty of road still left ahead. There's at least 200m still in the exit lane. And for those not familiar with that interchange, most would do exactly what he did since it's a blind turn and no indication the lane exits. People will do that regardless of 'etiquette'

it's a bad section of the highway period, whether he switches lane before the bridge or while on it. Good grief...

Last edited by Firebot; 11-03-2017 at 06:08 PM.
Firebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 04:48 PM   #55
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
As I see it, there's nothing wrong with that road other than people who can't navigate traffic effectively. In this video at no time did I cut anyone off or compromise the safety of others. Because history has created an opinion in your mind, it is not an effective way to determine future actions without knowing all the details.
What's bizarre about this is I've seen the exact same maneuver cause an accident, and have seen the aftermath of same. Plus it is common sense for anyone with a bit of driving experience. But instead of you considering that and thinking, yea maybe I should avoid a merge in a high danger area and merge way back where it is safer, I'll just do it anyway and feel great that I did nothing wrong.

So do you want to be "right" or do you want to reduce your chances of a collision as much as possible. As for that stretch of road there is a lot wrong with it.
Old 11-03-2017, 04:54 PM   #56
GreatWhiteEbola
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
What's bizarre about this is I've seen the exact same maneuver cause an accident, and have seen the aftermath of same. Plus it is common sense for anyone with a bit of driving experience. But instead of you considering that and thinking, yea maybe I should avoid a merge in a high danger area and merge way back where it is safer, I'll just do it anyway and feel great that I did nothing wrong.

So do you want to be "right" or do you want to reduce your chances of a collision as much as possible. As for that stretch of road there is a lot wrong with it.
OK, are you done?

Old 11-03-2017, 04:58 PM   #57
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
OK, are you done?
Yea pretty much.
The Following User Says Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2017, 05:37 PM   #58
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

My personal opinion is that anyone who can't merge all the way right there, regardless of traffic level, can just wait in the left lane until the next left turn which will MAGICALLY take them to the exact same place.

Such a piss-off when someone can't change two lanes smoothly and drags the entirety of northbound Crowchild to a crawl so that they didn't have to drive an extra 300m to make their connection. Grow a brain!
Old 11-03-2017, 06:15 PM   #59
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
OK, are you done?
Maybe the single emoji wasn't enough but to be clear, I was just teasing GWE in jest.

Not speaking for other people but I thought I would add this:

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2017, 06:25 PM   #60
GreatWhiteEbola
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Maybe the single emoji wasn't enough but to be clear, I was just teasing GWE in jest.

Not speaking for other people but I thought I would add this:

I picked up on that.

The Following User Says Thank You to GreatWhiteEbola For This Useful Post:

Tags
construction , crowchild , expressway , spendshi , traffic