Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2024, 10:41 AM   #21
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah123 View Post
Have to give kudos to anyone who manages to work out everyday. I have setup a rower, treadmill and free weights in the basement and even then I have a hard time getting three workouts a week. Would love to hear how you make that work
I tie it to something I want to do. I am rewatching old TV series that I like, for instance...so I treadmill/exercise while it's on. I want to watch an episode for that day, I 'have' to exercise to do it. A few weeks of that, and it just 'clicks'.

~
A couple years ago, both my parents and my in-laws ran into some health problems. I got to see first-hand how being overweight complicated every single thing my in-laws went through, compared to my parents. It made me realize that it was time to stop eating like I was 18 (I'm looking very closely at 50...) and start taking better care of myself. Especially as I had a few health problems of my own.

It's not been easy. It really feels that if I just LOOK at some food, I put on weight. I've not been able to shake my love of wings, either. But I deal a lot with portion control, which seemed to be the main problem I had.

Over the last 2 years, I've lost 23lb. It's a slow, steady process, and I'm getting better at it and now weigh less than I did even 15 years ago (when I first started 'getting in control' of my weight).

It's a never-ending process, but I finally feel like I'm on the right side of it.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2024, 10:58 AM   #22
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow, your story is terrifying!! Best of luck to you in your journey, you'll achieve it, just stick to it and get back to it even after you slip up (which you will).

I'm not an expert so all I can do is share what I do. For background, I'm in my early 40s, single, smoke (12 a day) and drink quite a bit (varies as my career requires me to take clients out for expensive dinner with lots of drinks, which is at least once a week). I do weights 4-5 times a week (no set schedule, I listen to my body and when it needs rest, I give it rest which may be for 1 day or 2 straight days, at most). I do actual walks (45-120 min) 3-4 times weekly at a very high pace (breathing is heavier than when casually walking) in the winters and 7 days a week when it's not crazy cold outside, going 2 times daily on Saturdays and Sundays.

My father is diabetic, and ever since his diagnosis 20 years ago, I've made a point to watch my diet and sugar intake levels, which to date, has worked since I just had my annual physical with full bloodwork and ECG, etc and all levels for everything (except Vitamin D and iron) are solid. I'm always worried about the diabetes indicators given my father.

Because of this I really do watch my diet, but even when I say that, it's nothing crazy. I exercise discipline (relatively) when I have control. I don't monitor calories, I just do a few things. Never add sugar myself to anything unless it comes in a sauce (but also rarely consume that stuff, except on odd occasions like condiments, etc). I keep rice/noodle intake down to 6-7 meals a week (I'm Chinese, I need my rice and noodles!) in the winters when I crave carbs way more and 3-4 meals a week when it's warmer. I cook dinners anywhere from 4-7 of the 7 nights a week depending on my plans (work and personal). I eat all proteins and switch them around depending on what I want. Fish, pork, beef, chicken, other seafood, I eat it all and believe in taking it all in. I eat fish on average twice a week for dinner when I cook. Eat a ton of veggies for my dinners too. Not a fan of salads, so I roast them or pan-fry depending on the meal. Not eating salads also helps with not consuming the terrible salad dressings which are no good for you.

But important to point out as well is that when I go out, I enjoy myself. I don't watch what I eat. I'll get that poutine while at the Jays game, and I'll have way too many beers while I'm there too. I just don't go to every game, so I figure it's okay. Even when I cook at home, I'll make a nice rib steak with the fat on. I'll make a crackling pork belly and eat it. I just don't overdo the "bad stuff", but I'm not going to eliminate it completely.

As I mentioned earlier, I did just come back from my physical and cholesterol levels, blood pressure, etc. all were very good. Everyone's body is different, but what I'm doing seems to be okay for my body. My doc does harp on my drinking and smoking though (as he should!).

Edit - re-read my post and felt I should add. Cooking for myself has been really key. And when I cook, it's all whole foods, nothing processed and none of those bottled, prepared sauces for flavouring. I use spices, salt, pepper, herbs. Olive oil and avocado oil. When I make Chinese, I use soy sauce, oyster sauce, Chinese cooking wine. I just feel that cooking for yourself can also be bad if you're re-heating frozen ready-made foods, or adding a ton of bottled sauces to your dishes. I avoid that stuff.

Last edited by activeStick; 02-22-2024 at 11:03 AM.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2024, 11:03 AM   #23
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I'm down about 80lbs since 2021.

I don't really have a target weight in mind, more just general health and lifestyle goals.. stuff like "buy clothes at a normal store" or "be able to go to a concert or fly on a plane and be comfortable in the seat" or "go shopping at the mall or Costco without my back killing me". Or the fact that you don't see many old people my size (because they're all dead?).

I've lost with diets in the past but as everyone says unless it's lifestyle changes you'll just gain it back, and I did and more.

I finally decided I needed some additional help and I enrolled in the bariatric program in Calgary. Even without surgery I lost weight due to food tracking (everyone should do this at some point just to understand, but it vastly improves chances of success when trying to manage weight), support from dieticians, doctors, nurses, mental health support, etc. But my loss from that plateaued at 25-30lbs. So ultimately I did decide to have the gastric bypass surgery.

Which I did this past October, and I've lost 50 lbs since then. Right after the surgery you lose a lot since you're on a liquid diet and struggling to get protein and calories, but once I started to eat "normally" I've been very consistent in losing. Over about 15 weeks I've lost 30lbs, so averaging about 2lbs a week, and the graph is pretty much a straight line minus day to day fluctuations.

For me the surgery acted like a giant reset button. Suddenly things like hunger, cravings, portion control, everything fell into manageability. Making good choices is so much easier. It isn't a silver bullet, you still have to put in the work. The surgery is just a tool and only works as well as you use it. The years I spent tracking food and learning to eat better are paying dividends now as I know how to meet my food goals.

So far my only regret is I didn't do it sooner. My dietician now bugs me about thinking too much about calories and carbs and stuff when all he wants me to do is track my macros and make good choices.

So to do a similar format to the OP:

Start Date: Q1 2021
Start Weight: Big
Current Weight: Big - 80lbs
Goal Weight: If I could lose another 60lbs I'd be super happy

Tools:
Apple Watch
MyFitnessPal / Chronometer
Evernote to track exercise routine

Strategy:
Learn to eat healthier by preparing my own foods, understanding what's in the food I eat
Bariatric surgery
Strength training dumbbells/isometric at home

Macro diet goals:
Minimum 100g protein
Minimum 30g fibre
Carbs and fat let them fall where they may but make good choices most of the time, avoid long term upward trends

Activity goals:
30-40 minutes of strength training every other day
Maybe buy a bike in the spring
or maybe join a sport?

Long term goals
Get stronger
Keep the weight off long term once hitting equilibrium
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2024, 11:06 AM   #24
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Wow, your story is terrifying!! Best of luck to you in your journey, you'll achieve it, just stick to it and get back to it even after you slip up (which you will).

I'm not an expert so all I can do is share what I do. For background, I'm in my early 40s, single, smoke (12 a day) and drink quite a bit (varies as my career requires me to take clients out for expensive dinner with lots of drinks, which is at least once a week). I do weights 4-5 times a week (no set schedule, I listen to my body and when it needs rest, I give it rest which may be for 1 day or 2 straight days, at most). I do actual walks (45-120 min) 3-4 times weekly at a very high pace (breathing is heavier than when casually walking) in the winters and 7 days a week when it's not crazy cold outside, going 2 times daily on Saturdays and Sundays.

My father is diabetic, and ever since his diagnosis 20 years ago, I've made a point to watch my diet and sugar intake levels, which to date, has worked since I just had my annual physical with full bloodwork and ECG, etc and all levels for everything (except Vitamin D and iron) are solid. I'm always worried about the diabetes indicators given my father.

Because of this I really do watch my diet, but even when I say that, it's nothing crazy. I exercise discipline (relatively) when I have control. I don't monitor calories, I just do a few things. Never add sugar myself to anything unless it comes in a sauce (but also rarely consume that stuff, except on odd occasions like condiments, etc). I keep rice/noodle intake down to 6-7 meals a week (I'm Chinese, I need my rice and noodles!) in the winters when I crave carbs way more and 3-4 meals a week when it's warmer. I cook dinners anywhere from 4-7 of the 7 nights a week depending on my plans (work and personal). I eat all proteins and switch them around depending on what I want. Fish, pork, beef, chicken, other seafood, I eat it all and believe in taking it all in. I eat fish on average twice a week for dinner when I cook. Eat a ton of veggies for my dinners too. Not a fan of salads, so I roast them or pan-fry depending on the meal. Not eating salads also helps with not consuming the terrible salad dressings which are no good for you.

But important to point out as well is that when I go out, I enjoy myself. I don't watch what I eat. I'll get that poutine while at the Jays game, and I'll have way too many beers while I'm there too. I just don't go to every game, so I figure it's okay. Even when I cook at home, I'll make a nice rib steak with the fat on. I'll make a crackling pork belly and eat it. I just don't overdo the "bad stuff", but I'm not going to eliminate it completely.

As I mentioned earlier, I did just come back from my physical and cholesterol levels, blood pressure, etc. all were very good. Everyone's body is different, but what I'm doing seems to be okay for my body. My doc does harp on my drinking and smoking though (as he should!).
Can't agree more!
When I indulge, and I definitely do, the only thing that disappoints me is if the food is no good. I love indulging and am happy to blow my daily calorie budget by 1000 or more, as long as it's delicious. Thanks for sharing!
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2024, 11:08 AM   #25
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Asparagus? Damn, note to self to not eat that anymore, it's a low tier veggie anyways...

As for me, I started on fitness in January 2023 (14 months ago) and really got in to it. I was 33 years old then, 242 lbs and not healthy at al. Sedentary job, didn't care about diet. I changed up my diet significantly and started exercising 1 hour day / 5 days a week. I've lost over 70 lbs, down to and holding at a steady 170 lbs now. I largely do cardio as I'm not too worried about muscles / strength, just want to be thin and fast. My typical routine is 5-7 mins stretching, 5-7 mins ab workouts (situps and crunches), 5-7 mins dumbbells, 40 mins cardio. My legs are getting big just from all the running / biking.

It's been a lot of work but I enjoy it now. My goal for 2024 is to do 1000km on my treadmill! So far I'm on pace for it.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 11:11 AM   #26
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another thing I do regularly is, when there's an option (escalator vs stairs), I take the stairs. But again, like my other lifestyle choices, nothing extreme. If I'm in a mall, I'll take the escalator. I'm not going to out of my way to find the stairs and do that! But if the stairs option is next to the escalator? Yeah, I'll do the stairs.

I also work in an office environment. I get up regularly and walk. But this is because I smoke lol, but still, I'm getting steps and moving!
Old 02-22-2024, 11:13 AM   #27
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah123 View Post
Have to give kudos to anyone who manages to work out everyday. I have setup a rower, treadmill and free weights in the basement and even then I have a hard time getting three workouts a week. Would love to hear how you make that work
I bought wife a VR headset for Christmas. We had always tried working out together, never successfully. She has fallen in love with Supernatural. She does about 90 minutes a day now. When she goes down to play, I join her in a workout. I also find it amusing to watch her VR, it is a workout buddy which helps, and I don't need to listen to her 'nagging' (to correct my form) every 5 minutes, so it's win/win all round.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 11:16 AM   #28
photon

Exp:

I find it much easier to stick with strength training since resting is built into the plan! It's probably bad that I don't have any specific cardio yet (just walk more than I used to) but being on the elliptical is just so mind numbing where X sets of X reps with rests in between just seems so much easier to convince myself to do.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2024, 11:21 AM   #29
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
I find it much easier to stick with strength training since resting is built into the plan! It's probably bad that I don't have any specific cardio yet (just walk more than I used to) but being on the elliptical is just so mind numbing where X sets of X reps with rests in between just seems so much easier to convince myself to do.
Try walking! Seriously! I HATE running. Don't do it. But in the summers, I walk anywhere from 10k - 25k steps daily and it keeps me slim and seems to be good for my heart and overall health. And walking outside is super fun depending on where you walk. Friends have told me that walking at a fast pace is better than running in some cases (this is what I've heard don't beat the messenger!).

Last edited by activeStick; 02-22-2024 at 11:39 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2024, 11:26 AM   #30
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I love walks. I can't go to the gym, the problem is boredom. Working out drives me nuts, I need activities. Especially this year since the outdoor ice has been so poor most of the time, walking is what's saved me
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 11:30 AM   #31
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

My foggy memory tells me you burn roughly as many calories walking 5km as you do running 5km

But their isn't the cardiovascular component

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 11:32 AM   #32
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
For background, I'm in my early 40s, single, smoke (12 a day) and drink quite a bit (varies as my career requires me to take clients out for expensive dinner with lots of drinks, which is at least once a week).
Quote:
Try walking! Seriously! I HATE running. Don't do it. But in the summers, I walk anywhere from 10k - 25k daily and it keeps me slim and seems to be good for my heart and overall health. And walking outside is super fun depending on where you walk. Friends have told me that walking at a fast pace is better than running in some cases (this is what I've heard don't beat the messenger!).
Honestly man, if you're concerned about your heart and overall health, just look at these two things and adjust down to no smoking and no (or very little) drinking. Going for a long walk or taking the stairs or eating a salad is a negligible health benefit when you're literally poisoning yourself all the time.
Old 02-22-2024, 11:35 AM   #33
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
My foggy memory tells me you burn roughly as many calories walking 5km as you do running 5km

But their isn't the cardiovascular component
Not on flat ground. Walking at a pretty good incline will burn the same calories as running on flat ground, though.
Old 02-22-2024, 11:38 AM   #34
photon

Exp:

80lbs ago walking really wasn't much of an option. I could maybe go 5-10 minutes before the back pain became unbearable.

But since that doesn't really seem to be an issue now I should maybe try giving more focused walking a try.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2024, 11:42 AM   #35
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Honestly man, if you're concerned about your heart and overall health, just look at these two things and adjust down to no smoking and no (or very little) drinking. Going for a long walk or taking the stairs or eating a salad is a negligible health benefit when you're literally poisoning yourself all the time.
I know. It's my biggest weakness! I just don't want to quit... I'm completely aware how terrible it is haha. *embarassing*
Old 02-22-2024, 11:46 AM   #36
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Not on flat ground. Walking at a pretty good incline will burn the same calories as running on flat ground, though.
roughly, i said roughly.

digging deep into my brain I seem to think you burn roughly 25% more calories from running the same distance as you do from walking the same distance.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 12:07 PM   #37
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

How many calories you burn is really dependent on your heartrate as well. Someone in great shape will see less burn variance running because they typically have less HRV.

When you're less in-shape (or more strength focused rather than cardio), running spikes your heart rate very quickly, and if you manage to eke out 5-10m of it it will burn a ton of calories.

My daily warmup includes 5m at 7 KPH at a 10 degree incline on a treadmill before stretching, and it burns no less than 75-80 calories in that short interval.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 12:09 PM   #38
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
roughly, i said roughly.

digging deep into my brain I seem to think you burn roughly 25% more calories from running the same distance as you do from walking the same distance.
True enough, for me it would be time coming in as a factor too! Much easier to fit a 30-40 min run into my day than a 90 minute walk, lol.
Old 02-22-2024, 01:23 PM   #39
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Cooking and eating at home with higher quality ingredients is very important for a lot of people. People these days eat out WAY too often and the expense and health. Restaurant food a lot of the times, even when considered healthy, uses a lot more salt, sugar, fat, poor quality carbs, poor quality oils and more than you do at home. It does add up over the longer term. Cooking healthy meals at home a lot of times really isn't hard. Just the basic stuff can be mastered very easily with a little bit of research or the odd Youtube video. A roasted chicken with potatoes and veggies literally takes 5-10 minutes of prep and can be done with salt/pepper/oregano/olive oil/lemon and tastes amazing.

Losing weight is great without a doubt, it's something I sometimes have struggled with as well. Eating healthy and being active is more important. Lot's of what the medical community calls TOFI out there. (Thin on the outside & fat on the inside) This means that due to poor quality diet and lifestyle choices, plenty of thin people have issues and inflammation markers for their vital organs like kidneys, heart, liver etc that lead to issues down the road.

One last thing for a lot of us is to try and live our modern lives a little more like we used to and how a lot of people do in poor countries that aren't developed. We don't need every gadget that makes everything easier. Not everything we need these days needs to be delivered. Going out for fresh air, walking, doing some manual labour around the house, cooking, cleaning and more adds a lot of movement to our days and adds up for general health.
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to curves2000 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2024, 01:52 PM   #40
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Well I'm up about 35 in the past 1.5 years. I think just because my lifestyle and schedule have become so busy it's hard to get away, from quick meals and sitting too much. I'm going to make a push to see some improvement going into the summer.

I'm not a big drinker, but I tend to be more of a binge drinkers 4-8 drinks, 2-3 times / month. And I will look to cut back on the quantity rather than the occasion, hopefully get down to 2-3 drinks 2-3 times / month max.

I'm also targeting foods I know I am a sucker for, Dbl Dbl Coffee, Candy, Pepsi, Doughnuts, Fresh Bread, Mars Bars. And I am going to aim for an abstinence model on them at least 6 days / week.

I'm leaving a bottle of salad dressing at work, and picking up a large bag of mixed greens every Sunday for the work fridge. Just making that my default lunch.

And I'm trying to restrict my eating to 9am-9pm. Some might call it intermittent fasting, I'm just cutting out the late night snacking, and the desire to stop for coffee and pastries on the way to work. Instead having maybe some tea and cheese at 9 or 10 in the morning while sitting at my desk.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to #-3 For This Useful Post: