Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 08-12-2020, 08:45 AM   #1021
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looch City View Post
Has been any juicy rumours about how McDavid feels about the situation? Or does he no longer have any feelings left after spending so much time being no good?

A major shakeup would be truly inevitable if McDavid speaks up. I'd maybe even gain a bit of respect for him.
That's the biggest reason I don't respect McDavid for much aside from his talent. He lets the media speak for him.

Not uncommon for young players and I'm sure he'll find his voice at some point
Old 08-12-2020, 08:46 AM   #1022
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looch City View Post
Has been any juicy rumours about how McDavid feels about the situation? Or does he no longer have any feelings left after spending so much time being no good?

A major shakeup would be truly inevitable if McDavid speaks up. I'd maybe even gain a bit of respect for him.
You can read between the lines from Holland's comments.

He said he spoke with McDavid just hours after the game. He made no comments about how McDavid felt, but he did say some of the players were still emotional because the exit interviews were same day not next day. Then he said he would be talking with McDavid again in a few days when he isn't as emotional.

All that, and the way Holland presented it, seemed very much to me like McDavid was not at all a happy camper.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2020, 08:49 AM   #1023
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

If I am a young goalie on the rise, or a veteran goalie trying to rebound somewhere, would I want to sign in Edmonton? I mean, maybe I would because there are only so many teams with open spots, but I would think long and hard about it. How many goalies were good, went to Edmonton, nearly died (well, at least in regards to their careers), and then went on to other organizations and had to SLOWLY rebuild in another organization?

Calgary has a few of those as well - but none of them were really proven goalies, or were at the very tail-end of their careers anyway. I argue that Ramo was indeed becoming a very good starter until his injury hit. Rittich has improved since arriving in Calgary. Talbot seems to be resurrecting his career.

Is there a single goalie - young or old - that hasn't completely imploded in Edmonton? I think with Tippett, things will probably be a bit better in that regard since he is an actually strong 2-way systems coach. However, that's a gamble. Goalies become noticeably worse the longer they play in Edmonton, and then they become noticeably better after a season or two away from Edmonton. Pretty risky proposition if I am a goalie trying to save my career, or trying to prove that I can be a #1. I may want to bide my time as a backup for another season or two in the hopes that another position on another team opens up. I would at least think about it.

I think everyone knows by now that either way, Edmonton sucks. With McDavid or without McDavid, Edmonton sucks. With Tippett, with Hitchcock and with McLellan - the Oilers suck. Lowe is right - they are still paying for their cups they won from the 80's, but it must be because of the deal they struck with the devil. "You guys will be a dynasty in the 80's, but then you will be the worst team in all of professional sports for as long as you play out of Edmonton".
Old 08-12-2020, 08:51 AM   #1024
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

5 years of McDavid's career, and 4 of them were spent with no playoffs.

Drasaitl has been there the whole time, but has the team gotten ANY better in those 5 years? Seriously, what have they done?

Even when you read comments from fans, the most popular argument is to put the Draisaitl line back together, with Yamamoto and RNH. And even Oiler fans present it as the DRY line as the top line, and McDavid with 2 plugs as the second line.

So think about that: after FIVE YEARS with McDavid in the lineup to build around, the best current plan is to have McDavid on the second line with 2 plugs.

He has every right to be fed up.
Old 08-12-2020, 08:59 AM   #1025
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSquatch View Post
That's just it - the talk on the Oiler fan board is "Trade this guy and this guy and get a #1 goalie and a stud defenseman" and that's just not reality. They are in a cap crunch, and they don't have assets other teams are going to want. Nobody is looking to trade a top-pairing defenseman for Kassian. I think that fanbase is just out of touch with what a regular team looks like, being so used to a couple of elite players and a pile of trash with them.

So I think it's a long, difficult journey for the Oil, still suffering under bad contracts (Neal, Kassian, Koskinen), stuck with fool's gold for defense in Larson, Klefbom and Nurse (and Bear is maybe an up and comer but he looked over his head to me against Chicago), and lacking legit prospects on the farm to boot? Good luck Holland.
When the Oilers were saying Bear should be in the Calder mix it was embarrassing for them. A nice bottom pair D that has top 4 upside sure but this is not a future top pairing stud. Yamamoto is another one who I think grossly overachieved last year. I could see him struggling next year and not be the top line forward he was playing like in the second half. Nurse and Kassian both became whipping boys this play in round and both have raises coming their way and new deals for next year.

Oiler fans praise the work that Holland has done but it isn’t even a year and many of those deals look questionable today.

Anthanasaiou acquired for 2x 2nd rounders and likely is gone this summer
Mike Green 4th rounder for nothing
Nurse 5.6M deal that takes him to UFA
Kassian 4 years at 3.2 that was basically negotiated at the height of the Tkachuk feud.
Lucic for Neal. 6.5M hits the Oilers cap for this deal and it cost them a 3rd. Lucic has been a force for Calgary in their 5 games in the bubble.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2020, 09:08 AM   #1026
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post

He said he spoke with McDavid just hours after the game. He made no comments about how McDavid felt, but he did say some of the players were still emotional because the exit interviews were same day not next day. Then he said he would be talking with McDavid again in a few days when he isn't as emotional.

All that, and the way Holland presented it, seemed very much to me like McDavid was not at all a happy camper.
I have no doubt in my mind that when the Oilers won the draft, McDavid's camp told the oilers they better get serious or he won't report. They went out and hired Chiarelli to appease the McSavior.

After a few miserable seasons, Bobby Orr probably phones Katz and goes Connor wants a new GM. Lo and behold, Holland and his $5MM AAV show up.

If Connor is still not happy, maybe he phones Katz and wants a trade instead of a new GM this time.
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2020, 09:26 AM   #1027
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

And just as security was at the doors hinting that Ken and Connor get out so they could turn out the lights and lock up, McDavid tapped Holland on the shoulder and said “Let’s go”.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2020, 09:35 AM   #1028
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
If I am a young goalie on the rise, or a veteran goalie trying to rebound somewhere, would I want to sign in Edmonton? I mean, maybe I would because there are only so many teams with open spots, but I would think long and hard about it. How many goalies were good, went to Edmonton, nearly died (well, at least in regards to their careers), and then went on to other organizations and had to SLOWLY rebuild in another organization?

Calgary has a few of those as well - but none of them were really proven goalies, or were at the very tail-end of their careers anyway. I argue that Ramo was indeed becoming a very good starter until his injury hit. Rittich has improved since arriving in Calgary. Talbot seems to be resurrecting his career.

Is there a single goalie - young or old - that hasn't completely imploded in Edmonton? I think with Tippett, things will probably be a bit better in that regard since he is an actually strong 2-way systems coach. However, that's a gamble. Goalies become noticeably worse the longer they play in Edmonton, and then they become noticeably better after a season or two away from Edmonton. Pretty risky proposition if I am a goalie trying to save my career, or trying to prove that I can be a #1. I may want to bide my time as a backup for another season or two in the hopes that another position on another team opens up. I would at least think about it.

I think everyone knows by now that either way, Edmonton sucks. With McDavid or without McDavid, Edmonton sucks. With Tippett, with Hitchcock and with McLellan - the Oilers suck. Lowe is right - they are still paying for their cups they won from the 80's, but it must be because of the deal they struck with the devil. "You guys will be a dynasty in the 80's, but then you will be the worst team in all of professional sports for as long as you play out of Edmonton".
I also believe that Tippett is a strong systems guy but what can you do when:
A) systems limit creativity by reducing risk;
B) reducing creativity means less points and individual trophy bonuses;
C) McDavid and Draisaitl‘s highest values are attained by points and compensation for points and awards;
D) if the “big 2” stop scoring, who will?;
E) systems take time and therefore losses and neither Tippett nor Holland can wait;
F) literally what more motivation or time could Tippett and the oilers want or need than a 5 game series at home against a 12th placed team in a play in round after a 4.5 month layoff;
G) it’s becoming apparent that the status quo has to change and yet McDavid has not.
H) tippy toes are needed so that neither of the “big 2” ask for a trade;
I) “because 80s oilers” scored a lot of goals.

I just don’t see oilers changing or turning anything around without blowing it up.

TLDR; e=ng
Old 08-12-2020, 09:36 AM   #1029
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
$10 they go back to Kassian-McDavid-Neal
That line must be one of the best in the league. How many top lines carry a cap hit of 22.2 million dollars (including $750 from Luc trade).

You don’t spend 22.2 million dollars on anything but the best. It’s not like they are paying one good player lots and overplaying two brutal wingers...

Ummmm. Never mind.
Old 08-12-2020, 09:49 AM   #1030
Saqe
First Line Centre

Exp:

Went to read HFOil and had a good laugh. They're apparently getting Pietrangelo in free agency and dumping both Neal and Russell to Detroit for this year's first.

Last edited by Saqe; 08-12-2020 at 09:51 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Saqe For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2020, 10:00 AM   #1031
Yrebmi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I have no doubt in my mind that when the Oilers won the draft, McDavid's camp told the oilers they better get serious or he won't report. They went out and hired Chiarelli to appease the McSavior.

After a few miserable seasons, Bobby Orr probably phones Katz and goes Connor wants a new GM. Lo and behold, Holland and his $5MM AAV show up.

If Connor is still not happy, maybe he phones Katz and wants a trade instead of a new GM this time.
If - and this is pure speculation - Mcaivi did demand a trade in his exit interview.
That would actually explain Spector suddenly releasing a somewhat critical piece on the Oilers captains lack of leadership. An article that though similarly critical of Raisaitl specifically also mentions a great back check. No such praise for Connor.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...vid-draisaitl/

We all know Edmonton media are directed to do hatchet jobs on departing players.

Last edited by Yrebmi; 08-12-2020 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Quoted wrong author.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yrebmi For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2020, 10:20 AM   #1032
Beatle17
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrebmi View Post
If - and this is pure speculation - Mcaivi did demand a trade in his exit interview.
That would actually explain Staples suddenly releasing a somewhat critical piece on the Oilers captains lack of leadership. An article that though similarly critical of Raisaitl specifically also mentions a great back check. No such praise for Connor.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...vid-draisaitl/

We all know Edmonton media are directed to do hatchet jobs on departing players.
That article is pointed but the end is terrible. The Oiler young guys have been criticized by many veterans who have left that they don't listen to advice, and the coaches don't back up the vets. This goes back to Taylor Hall arriving on scene thru McDavid. Vets like Horcoff, Souray, Lucic, Andrew Ference have all said the same thing.
Old 08-12-2020, 10:25 AM   #1033
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1293570338157219843
Old 08-12-2020, 10:32 AM   #1034
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Did he not watch the series?

HOF Defenseman? He could be lucky to be in the League at all in a few years.

On a good team Nurse is a 3rd pairing player.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 08-12-2020, 10:38 AM   #1035
old-fart
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe he literally meant “grow”... like if Nurse grows to be 9’6” and 800lbs with a wingspan of 10’, he could plant himself in front of the net and maybe actually be sort of effective. Maybe.

It must really drive them crazy that Rasmus would be the best defence man they have on their team and he spent most of the year in Calgary on our third pairing.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to old-fart For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2020, 10:43 AM   #1036
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

so i found out last night (after the flames/stars game 1) that texting my buddies that are oiler fans "isn't playoff hockey AWESOME!?!?" isn't very nice
they are just so salty
Old 08-12-2020, 10:50 AM   #1037
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post

Staufer is the true definition of a pom-pom waver. He comes across as unbalanced and bordering on insane at times. This is just another example.

Between him and Staples its truly a fascinating thing to watch.

I don't get it myself. I guess being a sycophant for your hometown hockey team pays off in Edmonton....really no other explanation for "professionals" to be so blatantly obnoxious with their "opinions".
Old 08-12-2020, 10:51 AM   #1038
Vedder
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
In his defense, Kevin Lowe has lowered the bar significantly. Mediocre Oilers dmen have the inside path.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Vedder For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2020, 10:52 AM   #1039
Robo
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bob staufer blaming the goalies for the loss while praising McDavid and draisaitl with 15 points the problem is they were combined +2 how is that even possible
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Robo For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2020, 11:05 AM   #1040
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post

Oiler fans have been ripping Nurse as one of the biggest disappointments on the roster during the play in series.
Closed Thread