Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2024, 11:54 AM   #6361
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Toronto is historically a fantastic market for both WWE and AEW. I will say running Dynamite at Coca-Cola Coliseum is a much better venue than to do it at Scotiabank Arena, which is where Forbidden Door (and the Collision tapings) were done last year. (and it was fantastic, one of the best PPV events I've ever attended and I've been to many WWE/WCW/AEW/NJPW shows in the past).

I'm pumped to go tonight, they absolutely nailed the main event match for this crowd. Edge and Christian are going to bring it tonight.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2024, 02:09 PM   #6362
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

AEW needs to stick to these arena smaller than 8-10k for their weekly shows.

The crowd is just dead feeling when they are in these 16-20k venues with half of the arena blocked off.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 03:40 PM   #6363
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know it's nitpicking, but why does Edge/Copeland get a rematch when he's 0-2? I wish they did a better job establishing that. Obviously it's a match everyone wants, and Copeland will likely finally win tonight... just (more) poor booking to get to an eventual conclusion of the rivalry.

Edit: sorry 1-2. I forgot he won, then lost the title immediately in the same night.

Last edited by trackercowe; 03-20-2024 at 03:44 PM.
trackercowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 03:57 PM   #6364
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackercowe View Post
I know it's nitpicking, but why does Edge/Copeland get a rematch when he's 0-2? I wish they did a better job establishing that. Obviously it's a match everyone wants, and Copeland will likely finally win tonight... just (more) poor booking to get to an eventual conclusion of the rivalry.

Edit: sorry 1-2. I forgot he won, then lost the title immediately in the same night.
I kinda hope they find a way to keep the belt on Christian tonight.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 04:19 PM   #6365
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

I don't want Christian to lose it to an old Edge. I get that these two wanted this program. I get that these two have earned the right to call this shot.

I wish it didn't have a title involved. I don't think it needs it. I wish that the title going on to someone else is what set us down this path.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 04:23 PM   #6366
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
I don't want Christian to lose it to an old Edge. I get that these two wanted this program. I get that these two have earned the right to call this shot.

I wish it didn't have a title involved. I don't think it needs it. I wish that the title going on to someone else is what set us down this path.
Agreed.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 04:46 PM   #6367
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Agreed.
They should give Wardlow the title. Give him a proper run with the title until Cole returns. I wonder how they'll build him back up after being choked out by Joe last week.
Old 03-20-2024, 04:47 PM   #6368
king_amonte
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

AEW looks like it’s sold about 1,000 for dynamite in Calgary so far. Yikes!! Also have heard rumours that Collision the Saturday after will be in Lethbridge.
Lets Retire #10....not Roberts.....Amonte
king_amonte is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to king_amonte For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2024, 04:52 PM   #6369
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by king_amonte View Post
AEW looks like it’s sold about 1,000 for dynamite in Calgary so far. Yikes!! Also have heard rumours that Collision the Saturday after will be in Lethbridge.
There's still lots of time, it's only March. I know I'll buy my ticket sometime between now and July, I'm sure lots of other people will buy closer to the date as well.

Doing a Collision in Lethbridge is pretty cool too! That would be unexpected.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2024, 06:27 PM   #6370
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Too big of an arena combined with their past of dropping ticket prices means no reason to buy early.

I'll probably wait until the week of to make a decision
Old 03-20-2024, 08:04 PM   #6371
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Classic AEW overbooking. My wife even said "too many things in the ring". She doesn't watch wrestling, but questioned me for watching the main event.

Did the lights just go out... or was that the feed?
Old 03-20-2024, 10:02 PM   #6372
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Just came back from Dynamite. One of the best cards I've seen live. Copeland/Christian was amazing with a hot crowd, Toni Storms match was fun, and Don Callis had NUCLEAR heat lol. Plus, Rampage was right afterwards and the Hart/Blue vs. Statlander/Willow match slapped. Some big spots, blood, and lots of ECW chants haha. Statlander is insane.

One thing worth noting was on Copeland's wrestling tights. He actually had a Calgary Hitmen logo on the side mixed in with the Maple Leafs logos. Very cool!

There was a guy dressed up like Bret Hart, he had everything on point including the tights. As he was walking up. The stairs he's like,"IM THE BEST THERE IS BUT I CAN'T SEE #### IN THESE GLASSES CAUSE THEY'RE ####ING CARDBOARD" lol

Tony also came back after Rampage, said Toronto is fantastic and hinted at another PPV coming back to the Six (hell yeah)

Finally got an AEW shirt too!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2024, 11:03 PM   #6373
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
One thing worth noting was on Copeland's wrestling tights. He actually had a Calgary Hitmen logo on the side mixed in with the Maple Leafs logos. Very cool!
He's done this before only it was red instead of blue. And obviously he had "Edge" instead of "Cope".

http://crazytights.ovh/outfit/1281/e...ary-hitmen-red
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 11:14 PM   #6374
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Okada, Take, Swerve, and Ospreay are great. They show up weekly and are the most talented stars on the roster. Okada even got a solid match out of Kingston. Although I don't understand Kingston's title... Did he lose all three?

Jericho is finished. If Tony wants to move him to a manager role that could work, just keep him out of the ring. That match with Hook looked rough, both guys took some hard hits.

Last edited by trackercowe; 03-20-2024 at 11:16 PM.
Old 03-21-2024, 08:49 AM   #6375
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I'm about done with watching Jericho's in-ring stuff. He tries, but the roster is so deep now and there's only so much time per show that I'm not sure he's ring quality anymore for TV. Wouldn't bat an eyelash right now if he wasn't on anymore.
Old 03-21-2024, 08:50 AM   #6376
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

It was crazy to me this morning that it was a banger of a show last night, and none of the following were even present:

Moxley, Omega, MJF, Claudio, Danielson, Adam Cole, Hangman, Roderick Strong, Penta, Britt Baker, Fenix, Malachai Black, Darby Allin, Rush, FTR, Jay White, Mark Briscoe, Miro, Sammy Guevara, Wardlow.

Those are just the most notable. There's still like 30-40 contracted talent after that.

That is nuts. The roster is almost too deep.
Old 03-21-2024, 08:52 AM   #6377
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Yeah I'm about done with watching Jericho's in-ring stuff. He tries, but the roster is so deep now and there's only so much time per show that I'm not sure he's ring quality anymore for TV. Wouldn't bat an eyelash right now if he wasn't on anymore.
Jericho would be so much better and relevant as a Don Callis-type of character. Make him a manager, an authority, a trickster, a snake oil salesman, a wild card, or anything else. His in-ring career is more than done, but his personality and promos can still go. And that's what AEW needs more of - non-wresting characters to move stories along.

He's literally turning into Randy 'The Ram' Robinson.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2024, 09:16 AM   #6378
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
It was crazy to me this morning that it was a banger of a show last night, and none of the following were even present:

Moxley, Omega, MJF, Claudio, Danielson, Adam Cole, Hangman, Roderick Strong, Penta, Britt Baker, Fenix, Malachai Black, Darby Allin, Rush, FTR, Jay White, Mark Briscoe, Miro, Sammy Guevara, Wardlow.

Those are just the most notable. There's still like 30-40 contracted talent after that.

That is nuts. The roster is almost too deep.
The roster is too fat for sure. They need to trim a lot of fat and focus on giving the guys you mention and the other top stars more consistent appearances to build stories and screen time.
Old 03-21-2024, 09:27 AM   #6379
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Tony is like a kid in a candy store, he has so much at his disposal he doesn't know what to do with everything.

If there's one thing I wish AEW would do more like WWE, it's build characters better over the long-term and have consistent booking that works into creative storytelling, not just bipolar booking decisions on who should win/lose/be friends/enemies every week. I will give them props on Christian's booking though, that has been A+.

Look at Jey Uso, WWE turned a vanilla tag-team wrestler into a singles megastar with A+ booking. Same with Gunther, booked as an absolute killer and gives the IC title so much damn credibility.

Also, I've said this before and I'll say it again - reduce the goddamn amount of belts! When everybody is a champion it waters down the credibility of each title and fans care less about them. The Copeland/Christian match would have been just fine last night even without the TNT Title - whatever that belt is supposed to represent. Also, Hook's FTW title - can we just end that please? Dumbest 'title' ever.
The Following User Says Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2024, 09:34 AM   #6380
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Also, I've said this before and I'll say it again - reduce the goddamn amount of belts! When everybody is a champion it waters down the credibility of each title and fans care less about them. The Copeland/Christian match would have been just fine last night even without the TNT Title - whatever that belt is supposed to represent. Also, Hook's FTW title - can we just end that please? Dumbest 'title' ever.
I've always thought the FTW Tile - AEW, ECW or otherwise - should only be defended in a certain type of rare match. If it's Taz's original title, then it should be a Suplex/Knockout match, in which you can only knockout your opponent by suplex. These matches would be rare, but would add a good twist to a title that doesn't need to be constantly used.