Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2022, 07:57 PM   #4421
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Awesome to see Kenny back. Some of the stuff they were saying about him sounded potentially career-ending.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2022, 08:09 AM   #4422
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I kind of wish they had made Page and the Young Bucks team up…then have Kenny return by screwing them.

That feels like it would have been the more natural move after the Bucks didn’t help Kenny in his title defense against Page.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 08:19 AM   #4423
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Didn't get to see Dynamite last night, but happy Omega is back - by far my fave wrestler. I've got his match with Danielsen from last September PVR'ed, and I watch it from time to time. Wrestling was excellent, fans were insanely nuts, one of my fave matches in recent memory.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 10:19 AM   #4424
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
I kind of wish they had made Page and the Young Bucks team up…then have Kenny return by screwing them.

That feels like it would have been the more natural move after the Bucks didn’t help Kenny in his title defense against Page.
They've been really wanting to do Elite vs. Undisputed (Era) Elite for a long time, so it makes sense in that respect.
Old 08-18-2022, 12:04 PM   #4425
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

That promo by cm punk on Moxley was great.

I wonder what they are planning for all out if they are running that next Wednesday, not like AEW to do a dq finish or whatever and run it back

I'm guessing hangman or mjf get involved and we either see them vs punk or possible a three way?
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 12:15 PM   #4426
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post
That promo by cm punk on Moxley was great.

I wonder what they are planning for all out if they are running that next Wednesday, not like AEW to do a dq finish or whatever and run it back

I'm guessing hangman or mjf get involved and we either see them vs punk or possible a three way?
It's also not like AEW to run a triple-threat match for the main title. They've only done it once and it was due to a botch in the #1 contender's match.

I'm guessing maybe a double count out or something.
Old 08-18-2022, 09:45 PM   #4427
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

What's going on between Page and Punk?

https://wrestlingheadlines.com/cm-pu...age-heat-more/

Quote:
AEW World Champion CM Punk reportedly came close to no-showing last night’s House of The Dragon edition of AEW Dynamite from Charleston, WV, and he has reportedly threatened to quit the company.
We noted earlier at this link how Punk reportedly went into business for himself during the opening Dynamite promo where he took shots at “Hangman” Page. It was reported that Punk’s comments came as a surprise, and that there are no plans for a Page vs. Punk rematch at AEW All Out next month. A new report from Fightful Select confirms that the Punk comments were not planned.
It was also noted earlier today how there were some issues between Punk and Page during the build to their match at AEW Double Or Nothing earlier this year, and it’s been said that they did not see eye-to-eye on some promo material that was used in the Dynamite build to that match. This new report notes that the issues were so bad that Punk met with AEW higher-ups about the context of Page’s promo.
A new report from Voices of Wrestling notes that after the meeting in May, Punk reportedly told others that he would never “do the job” or lose to Page.
Regarding last night’s Dynamite, multiple sources within AEW have said that they feel the situation was “unfair” to Page if he wasn’t aware of it ahead of time. One source said, “Even if he was aware of it, what would he have done? Charged to the ring past Tony (Khan)? Interrupted a promo he knew he wasn’t supposed to be a part of? There was no way Hangman could have ‘won’ in that situation.”
Page was backstage during the promo, but there’s no word yet on how he responded, if he responded in any particular way. Sources noted that Page is not a confrontational person, and is generally well-liked among the others on the roster.
There’s a belief among multiple AEW wrestlers that Punk believed Page went into business for himself during the Double Or Nothing build, and that Punk may have seen last night’s Dynamite promo as a “receipt” to Page for what he previously said. It should be noted that this is locker room speculation, and not something Punk has said to anyone directly.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 08:18 AM   #4428
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Punk has always been a prima donna.

Gets so offended if somebody uses something about his past in their promos, but loves to do it to other people.

He’s Shawn Michaels and Bret Hart level petty.
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2022, 09:37 AM   #4429
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I'm expecting there's a reason why AEW reshuffled their talent relations department. Maybe too much of the lunatics running the Asylum. And having EVP that are members of the boys club doesn't help.

Punk is a guy that AEW can't piss off, he's got too much power in terms of his ability to drive the main event.

Old 08-19-2022, 10:08 AM   #4430
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post

Punk is a guy that AEW can't piss off, he's got too much power in terms of his ability to drive the main event.
True, but between Omega/Moxley/Danielson for the main event, is Punk really the crux that holds the company together? Probably not.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 10:50 AM   #4431
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Part of me thinks it's partially a work just like some of the MJF stuff likely was too.

I do think this is building to a Punk heel turn either way, and his promo the other night was very heel in the way it was delivered. And really I think heel Punk actually makes more sense for AEW.

I'm sure there is some real like heat between Punk and Page (my guess would be Punk didn't like when Page brought up Colt Cabana) but it's now being used to further drive a story line.
Old 08-19-2022, 01:21 PM   #4432
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
True, but between Omega/Moxley/Danielson for the main event, is Punk really the crux that holds the company together? Probably not.

Punk is the biggest name of the four you just listed, but isn't the only thing they have going for them.

The whole thing is silly. The AEW originals are being twats. What's the difference between Punk and Jericho? A couple years? Punk is being overly sensitive, but that's nothing new for Punk. AEW knew what they were getting when they signed up and can't be shocked that this is the case. Coddle him or expect him to walk.

Or we're all getting worked.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 01:25 PM   #4433
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
Punk is the biggest name of the four you just listed, but isn't the only thing they have going for them.
Is he?

I'd argue Danielson is probably the biggest name - Punk was never as big as he was at WM 30.

I still think Danielson is the best wrestler and talent AEW has - and in some ways they are wasting him.

Omega is probably close too - he is the only guy I can think of that made almost a national name for himself while not even wrestling in WWE.

I don't think Punk should even be champion to be honest, and don't think he should have been hot shotted to that spot.

Honestly probably should have went Omega > Page > Jericho (have a narrative that Page can't beat Jericho since he beat him for the inaugural title too) > Kingston > MJF

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 08-19-2022 at 01:35 PM.
Old 08-19-2022, 01:29 PM   #4434
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Quote:
That's my point. He's probably the biggest name with the WWE rub, but the show's main event can be carried by the other three (and I'll add Jericho to that mix as well). Then on top of that, you have growing drawing power in MJF, Darby Allin, Jungle Boy and other original talent. We shouldn't short-sell Omega, Mox, and Danielson.

CM Punk is also getting into his mid-fourties, and has confirmed that said before he isn't long for full time wrestling much longer.

So it begs the question - is AEW going to be fine with CM Punk off the main event? I say yeah, probably.
Old 08-19-2022, 01:31 PM   #4435
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Quote:

Omega is probably close too - he is the only guy I can think of that made almost a national name for himself while not even wrestling in WWE.
He's this generation's Sting.
Old 08-19-2022, 02:00 PM   #4436
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I saw this on a different site but I think it's true "CM Punk thinks he's early 90s Bret Hart, when really he's early 90s Shawn Michaels"

Great talent but huge ego and really I don't think he's helped "build" stars at all.

Kept trying to steal Hangman's buckshot lariat and failed miserably, didn't give Page a rub at all IMO.

I think that Punk might have set back MJF and Kingston more than he helped them...think those guys came out of fueds with Jericho looking better than they did in fueds with Punk.

Personally I've thought Punk has been pretty "meh" in AEW.
Old 08-19-2022, 02:30 PM   #4437
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I saw this on a different site but I think it's true "CM Punk thinks he's early 90s Bret Hart, when really he's early 90s Shawn Michaels"

Great talent but huge ego and really I don't think he's helped "build" stars at all.

Kept trying to steal Hangman's buckshot lariat and failed miserably, didn't give Page a rub at all IMO.

I think that Punk might have set back MJF and Kingston more than he helped them...think those guys came out of fueds with Jericho looking better than they did in fueds with Punk.

Personally I've thought Punk has been pretty "meh" in AEW.
Disagree about the MJF feud, but I also hope they run that back with MJF coming out on top.
Old 08-19-2022, 10:33 PM   #4438
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:

The whole thing is silly. The AEW originals are being twats. What's the difference between Punk and Jericho? A couple years? Punk is being overly sensitive, but that's nothing new for Punk. AEW knew what they were getting when they signed up and can't be shocked that this is the case. Coddle him or expect him to walk.

Or we're all getting worked.
These backstage works rarely do anything for boosting ratings and usually confuse or even piss off fans.

AEW wouldn't be shuffling their talent relations team for a work. We're also seeing guys like Miro and Pillman Junior etc showing some displeasure.

With MJF, we'll see what happens when he comes back, but there's lots of backstage stuff from Meltzer and others that talk about MJF really not talking to AEW officials and Kahn. And when the AEW whole main event in Punk and Danielson goes down you don't keep a guy like MJF on the sideslines.

I really don't like what they're doing with Danielson. I wish Jericho would just stop wrestling, I find the stuff that he's doing to be silly. Moxley to me, is really kind of Meh, but I had really high expectations for them letting him loose creatively when he left WWE, I don't think we ever really saw that.

AEW is way too reliant on gimmicky matches and blood right now, and they're not really doing terrific builds. Its just all over the place when I watch it.

I mean the whole Christian Jungleboy thing has been really dumb.

And that's with Christian being an excellent heel.

Old 08-19-2022, 11:02 PM   #4439
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
We're also seeing guys like Miro and Pillman Junior etc showing some displeasure.
Andrade maybe too.

https://www.wrestlinginc.com/news/20...rrent-booking/
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 11:11 PM   #4440
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I feel like Cole, Danielson, Andrade, Miro, & Malakai could all complain in some way about how they’ve been booked.

Even Blackpool Combat club feels really forced at this point.

I’ve said it in the thread previously but AEW just needs to simplify its product. Fewer blood and spot fests, fewer huge 8 people matches. When they focus on 1on1 and 2on2 matches that build a story the product has been good.

The roster is also just way too bloated https://www.allelitewrestling.com/aew-roster

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 08-19-2022 at 11:44 PM.