Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2013, 10:23 AM   #1
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default SSD swap for dummies - help me, CP!

So, the scenario is that my existing SSD is fit to bursting. It's about two years old, Corsair Force Series 3 SataIII 60 GB. I had it, along with the whole desktop, assembled by Memory Express in January of 2012. To clarify, only my System drive, Windows, and associated programs I've installed is on the SSD. All of my media, documents, email folders, etc. are stored either on external hard drives or on my traditional hard drive.

In talking to Memory Express just now, they said they could install the new SSD and either clone the existing drive back onto it with an extended partition, or restore Windows onto the new drive from a system image backup. They would examine the system when I drop it off and decide on the best way forward from there.

Turnaround time for their tech department is 10-12 days.

Now, please bear in mind I *am not* savvy when it comes to assembling PCs or swapping hardware. The most I've ever done is taken the hard drive from old desktop and slaved it to my new one so I could move all my old data over. This was about 7-8 years ago.

How hard do you think it is for a person to swap out their existing SSD themselves? How long do you think it might take? What kind of steps or precautions are necessary? What kind of caveats do I need to be aware of if I intend to simply buy a new SSD and install it mysef?
TurnedTheCorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 10:41 AM   #2
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Image/partition is pretty damn simple, and the drive installation is equally easy.

Check out any youtube video for drive installation (shove it in, secure it, hook it into a SATA port, preferably the Blue one because that's SATAIII, but even the SATAII ports will still be fast).

Make sure you have an extra SATA cable.

Open windows, enable the drive in the Disk Manager (lots of websites go through how to do this depending on your windows version).

Run an app like XXClone for free and do a one-click clone.

Restart your PC, go into your BIOS by pressing either Delete, F1 or F2 during initial boot (depends on your motherboard, I usually just hammer all three alternating if I'm not familiar with the PC), and goto the Boot options, and select your new SSD as the primary boot drive.

Go back into Disk Manager and format your old SSD.

Done!

The easiest thing though is just say ####it and format everythign but your storage drive, and reinstall windows on the new drive. Or alternately, keep your Primary SSD as your windows drive, and just use the new one as fast storage (not a bad option TBH). Then all you need to do is follow the first 3 steps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.

Last edited by PsYcNeT; 11-22-2013 at 10:49 AM.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 10:45 AM   #3
Stealth22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Last year, I swapped my OCZ SSD, which was blue-screening up the ass, for an Intel. I had the IPR from Memory Express, but they refused to believe that the SSD was the problem. I had taken my system to them TWICE for the BSOD's. Eventually, I bit the bullet, and just bought the Intel 520 when it came on sale.

Lo and behold, the Intel works fine. When I did it though, I did a clean install of Windows on the SSD, I didn't bother doing a clone.

You can swap an SSD in a matter of 15 minutes, and that's if you're doing it slowly. With a USB 3.0 dock, you can clone the drive in less than half an hour as well, depending on the size.

If you're not savvy with this sort of stuff, it's better to have a friend help you out. Mem Ex can do it for you obviously, but 10 to 12 days is an insane amount of time to wait for something like this.

Again though, I'd recommend a clean, brand new install. That way, you know nothing will go wrong if you have any corrupt system files or the like.

Are they charging you anything to do this?

EDIT: Another thing I want to re-iterate. I only trust Intel for SSD's, in terms of reliability. The other brands may have improved in the last little while. The Intel drives used to cost a lot (like triple the price), but in the last year, the pricing has come down a lot.

So if you're getting an SSD, I would ONLY buy Intel, and ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS buy the IPR warranty. If the drive does croak, then Memory Express WILL replace it. That being said, it's unlikely that the Intel drives will go bad. But if you happen to get a bad apple or something, then you're covered. IMO, it's worth the cost of the IPR to have that safety net, even if the drive never goes bad.

Last edited by Stealth22; 11-22-2013 at 10:51 AM.
Stealth22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 11:15 AM   #4
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I do have the OEM Windows 7 SP1 disc, so I supposed I could just do a clean install of Windows and then just download the other extra programs I use. Would this cause problems with the info on my traditional HDD?

Psycenet, why would I need an extra SATA cable? Wouldn't I just disconnect the existing SSD from one and connect the new SSD to the same cable? I'm pretty sure the existing connection is SATA III.
Old 11-22-2013, 11:18 AM   #5
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Stealth, the 10-12 day is due to existing backlog. Once they got to the actual work, labor charge is $50/hour with min. 1 hour billing, additional time billable in 1/2 hour increments.
Old 11-22-2013, 11:29 AM   #6
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well the extra SATA is assuming you want to keep your 60 GB on the PC, as most computers have about 8 SATA ins (though usually only 2-4 SATAIII).

Quote:
Old 11-22-2013, 11:32 AM   #7
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Oh I see. Yeah, I would just be ditching the existing SSD.

So would the Windows install on the new SSD mess up my data on the existing HDD?
Old 11-22-2013, 11:36 AM   #8
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, if you had both drives installed (with an extra 3$ sata cable), you could install the new drive, designate it as the boot drive, install windows on it, and then copy over any useful files from the 60GB, then wipe the 60GB and just install games and whatnot on it afterwards.

Quote:
Old 11-22-2013, 11:43 AM   #9
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I don't want to bother with the 60 GB drive once I have the replacement installed. I don't know how many bays and stuff I have for this. Trying to keep it simple.

What does the Windows clean install on the new SSD do to the data I have on the existing HDD? Anything?

EDIT: To clarify, my PC has an SSD for my system/Windows install. It also has an HDD for data - music, pictures, documents, whatever. And then I have external drives for backups, media, etc.

Last edited by TurnedTheCorner; 11-22-2013 at 12:13 PM.
Old 11-22-2013, 12:47 PM   #10
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

It shouldn't do anything, as long as you designate the SSD as the boot drive first, and don't accidentally format your HDD at the Windows install screen.

Quote:
Old 11-22-2013, 12:50 PM   #11
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I think I'm just going to boot from my system repair disc and restore things from an image back-up. Seems easier with less potential for problems. Thanks for the input and for being a sounding board.
Old 11-22-2013, 04:52 PM   #12
Stealth22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Lol...at $50/hr, you can be guaranteed that they will be billing you for at least 2 if not 3 hours. Anything more than $50 is too much for something like this, and even that is stretching it.

Just install a fresh copy of Windows on the new SSD. It won't interfere with anything on the traditional HDD, as long as its just documents and data.

I use my 2TB HDD to install some larger programs, I don't have everything installed on the SSD, just to save space. If it was me, I would have to reinstall all of those programs, because of registry entries and what not.

You'll be surprised at how easy it is to swap a drive and install Windows. Don't blow $100+ on labour at MX if you don't have to. And you get it right away, don't need to wait almost 2 weeks.
Old 11-22-2013, 07:56 PM   #13
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll do it for a case of Rickards Dark and a pizza. We can consume while you wait and we can do it during a Flames game.

I consistently build computers for my friends and myself.

PM me if interested.
To Be Quite Honest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to To Be Quite Honest For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2013, 11:12 PM   #14
Corona
Draft Pick

TBQH helped me build my last PC and knows his sh*t. I too am looking to swap my HD with an SSD. I'm leaning towards the samsung (and I need ~500GB), any thoughts on the http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX44602?
Corona is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Corona For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2013, 12:01 AM   #15
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

For Samsungs, recommendations I have had for the 840 series are to go for either the EVO or Pro line.
Old 11-23-2013, 12:45 AM   #16
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Yeah, no point in getting the 840 when its faster replacement, the 840 Evo is the same price:

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/964?vs=792

Pricematch with Direct Canada to save a few bucks:

http://www.directcanada.com/products...%20&%20Storage
accord1999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 01:01 AM   #17
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona View Post
TBQH helped me build my last PC and knows his sh*t. I too am looking to swap my HD with an SSD. I'm leaning towards the samsung (and I need ~500GB), any thoughts on the http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX44602?
Next week is Black Friday so don't buy till then. Thanks Corona!
To Be Quite Honest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 06:35 PM   #18
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Really appreciate the offer TBQH -- it reaffirms my belief about how awesome the CP community is. I surprised myself with how easy this was to do. Everything is up and running without a hiccup now.

But dust bunnies. Dust bunnies everywhere.
The Following User Says Thank You to TurnedTheCorner For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2013, 05:46 PM   #19
Stealth22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnedTheCorner View Post
Really appreciate the offer TBQH -- it reaffirms my belief about how awesome the CP community is. I surprised myself with how easy this was to do. Everything is up and running without a hiccup now.

But dust bunnies. Dust bunnies everywhere.
Last time I opened my case, I pulled out the central vac lol
The Following User Says Thank You to Stealth22 For This Useful Post:

Tags
pc assembly , pc hardware , ttcisdum , turbonerd , windows for dummies