Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 12-30-2018, 04:20 PM   #4921
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
Every guy named Mike (not Mich) begs to differ. First name, last name – no difference in the rules.
See also: Bob, Bill(and variations), Dick (but why), Jack (always incomprehensible to me), Betty, Meg, Ted, etc....
Old 12-30-2018, 04:25 PM   #4922
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Still waiting for the third trade to happen... I’m guessing Spooner for a shiny red paper clip?
Old 12-30-2018, 04:27 PM   #4923
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

With the recent Chia magic to shore up the Oiler blueline, I thought I would do a quick comparison of the top 8 Dmen for the two AB teams:

Calgary: $26.1M
Giordano - Brodie
Hanifin - Hamonic
Valimaki - Andersson
Kylington - Stone

Edmonton: $27.1M
Klefbom - Larsson
Russell - Sekera
Nurse - Petrovic
Manning - Benning

1st pairing - big win for Calgary
2nd pairing - big win for Calgary
3rd pairing - pretty close today, but the rookies will leave them in the dust going forward
4th pairing - lol

Overall, one of the best units in the NHL vs. one of the worst. Yet the Flames' squad costs $1M less. God bless Chia!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2018, 04:28 PM   #4924
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Oilers in Full Tank Mode and it isn't even 2019 yet.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2018, 04:32 PM   #4925
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

McDavid: listen here Mr Chiarelli, Terry Jones says that I should call you out as an opposite Dallas strategy. There is no way that you can make me feel worse about this team.

Chiarelli: hold my beer.
Old 12-30-2018, 04:48 PM   #4926
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

The two trades are really not big deals at all. No big name players. Just minor trades. Yet, the Oilers depth is so low that I think these trades hurt the team considerably.

There goes the career of Hughes.
Old 12-30-2018, 04:52 PM   #4927
Groot
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Remember when the narrative amongst Oilers fans was that Chia had to trade Hall because of locker room dynamics? He wasn't good for team chemistry?

Welcome to Edmonton, Brandon Manning! Try and forget about the time that Draisatl blindsided you for an interference penalty, or when Lucic speared you in the nuts, or when McDavid called you out to the media for being classless. The New Year's party is at McDavid's place this year, come early, he's serving pork shoulder and collard greens.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Groot For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2018, 04:55 PM   #4928
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Wow I go for a nap and Chia makes a bad blueline worse and trades one of his better penalty killing forwards.

How amazing is that?

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Old 12-30-2018, 04:56 PM   #4929
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
With the recent Chia magic to shore up the Oiler blueline, I thought I would do a quick comparison of the top 8 Dmen for the two AB teams:

Calgary: $26.1M
Giordano - Brodie
Hanifin - Hamonic
Valimaki - Andersson
Kylington - Stone

Edmonton: $27.1M
Klefbom - Larsson
Russell - Sekera
Nurse - Petrovic
Manning - Benning

1st pairing - big win for Calgary
2nd pairing - big win for Calgary
3rd pairing - pretty close today, but the rookies will leave them in the dust going forward
4th pairing - lol

Overall, one of the best units in the NHL vs. one of the worst. Yet the Flames' squad costs $1M less. God bless Chia!

Have you seen Nurse play this year, he's hot garbage, and Florida fans were at Petrovic's house helping him pack after the trade while screaming "Start the car"

Old 12-30-2018, 05:00 PM   #4930
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Mark Spector @SportsnetSpec
Told Chiarelli tried to include Ryan Spooner in one of the deals he made Sunday, to no avail.

The Spooner-for-Ryan-Strome deal that seemed regretful at the time is, alas, regretted.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2018, 05:04 PM   #4931
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Maybe the Oilers should bring back Sam Gagner and Andrew Cogliano. I hear they're available.

Old 12-30-2018, 05:07 PM   #4932
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Told Chiarelli tried to include Ryan Spooner in one of the deals he made Sunday, to no avail.

The Spooner-for-Ryan-Strome deal that seemed regretful at the time is, alas, regretted.
Spooner for Rinaldo incoming!
Old 12-30-2018, 05:12 PM   #4933
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Wow I go for a nap and Chia makes a bad blueline worse and trades one of his better penalty killing forwards.

How amazing is that?
Go back to bed.

Old 12-30-2018, 05:13 PM   #4934
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post

More than 6 hours left in the day... c’mon Chia, you can do it!
Old 12-30-2018, 05:23 PM   #4935
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

This might be my new favourite twitter account

https://twitter.com/user/status/1079455426385793026
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2018, 05:26 PM   #4936
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

So because there has to be method to his madness in terms of these moves. Lets look at this logically

Out

Drake Caggiula - Scored 7 goals for the Oilers this year and was the fifth most productive goal scorer on the Oilers squad. Was regularly used to kill penalties. Made 1.5 million dollars a year. Not much of a player, but was still a every day NHL energy line guy. On top of that he's Connor McHasnofriends best buddy in the whole wide world. Gone

Chris Wideman - a terrible defenseman who had scored a couple of assists in 5 games. was making 1 million bucks a year and was a UFA at the end of the year.

Jason Garrison - a older then dirt slow defenseman who had scored a goal for the Oilers was making 650 k and heading for UFA.

3rd round draft pick that will be close to a second round draft pick if the Oilers finish lower then the Islanders.

Bringing in

Alex Petrovic - A defenseman who had fallen on hard times, statistically had 1 assist this year and a lofty minus 8. Florida fans were over the moon happy with seeing him go. Advanced showed that he wasa danger to himself and others whenever he took the ice. Is making $1.65 and heading to UFA

Brandon Manning - Scored 1 goal and 2 assists this year while pulling in 2.25 million dollars. Considered to be barely a NHL defenseman, claim to fame was trying to do what the rest of us want to do and that's murder Connor McDavid.

Robin Norell a 24 year old bust that Chicago loaned to Europe and he's unlikely to be welcomed back, makes 717k.

So basically Chia reduced what little forward depth he had and dumped a player that could score the occasional goal. Sent out two terrible defenseman that wouldn't be on a decent teams bottom pairing for two defensemen that are terrible and couldn't be on a decent teams bottom pairing. They acquire a 24 year old bust and give up a mid round draft choice which is no big deal to the Oilers because they can't draft very well anyways.

First view

This trade really does make the team slightly worse. I mean the defenseman change from Wideman and Garrison to Manning and Petrovic is reshuffling deck chairs. But they got weaker at forward and gave up a draft picl

Conclusions Sherlock Holmes style.

Clearly Chia believed that he needed to break up the power couple in the dressing rook of Caggiula and McDavid because they were a threat to his continued performance. By making Connor sad he's shown him who the boss is yo. Also he's given Stuaffer and Staples their marching orders to hype Norell as the next big hope for the Oilers.

Clearly with a fractured dressing room he bought in Manning to protect the dressing room from the ravages of McDavid.

Secondary Conclusion

Chia knows he's done so he's self sabotaging so that he can get fired quicker because he wants to binge watch The Walking Dead.

Outlandish Conclusion

Chia is actually a secret agent of the Buffalo Sabres who want revenge over Lowe's attempt to offer sheet Vanek and this slow moving plot has now exploded into the open.

Psychological profile conclusion

Chia who is probably in his last days of every being an NHL GM wanted to hit for the mythical cycle like in baseball. With these trades he's

Made his team worse

Made a bad team more expensive

Further damaged its future.

Probably pissed off his only major star

Its a home run with a home run strut out the door for Chia.

Last edited by CaptainCrunch; 12-30-2018 at 05:29 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2018, 05:28 PM   #4937
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't get me wrong I am really enjoying this but there's also some bizarre twilight zone thing going on here. Even if inside the walls of that organization they think they are getting better it's pretty clear to everyone on the outside they are making bad trades and digging a deeper hole for the organization.
Old 12-30-2018, 05:38 PM   #4938
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2018, 05:43 PM   #4939
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Don't get me wrong I am really enjoying this but there's also some bizarre twilight zone thing going on here. Even if inside the walls of that organization they think they are getting better it's pretty clear to everyone on the outside they are making bad trades and digging a deeper hole for the organization.
The guy working the NHL trade office must've wondered if he was being prank called and then needing to hold back the laughter when he confirms it's real.
Old 12-30-2018, 05:49 PM   #4940
metal_geek
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Is it wrong I wanna see Caggiula score 20 goals, just to watch Oiler fans cry?
The Following User Says Thank You to metal_geek For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread