Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 07:25 AM   #2941
schteve_d
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Steinberg said that Sportsnet changed plans and has sent extra personnel to San Jose in anticipation of the Oilers firing McLellan
They need to do something to appear to do something of course, but what coach is going to get much more out of this lousy roster? It's all for nothing!
Old 11-20-2018, 07:53 AM   #2942
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

You're the Oilers, you're about to fire your coach, and your replacement options are Wayne Gretzky and Glen Gulutzan - two of the most mediocre coaching minds of the last decade.

I'm sure they'll get a pop if Gretzky goes behind the bench, but it will be short lived. Gretzky's ability to see the game the way he did as a player won't avail him of much because it would be like trying to teach a pack of dogs about the colours of the rainbow.
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2018, 07:56 AM   #2943
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope Mcllelan sticks around for a bit longer. As much as I want to see GG behind the bench, the longer TMac sticks around the better. Prolong the pain as much as possible.
Old 11-20-2018, 08:00 AM   #2944
Racki
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Steinberg said that Sportsnet changed plans and has sent extra personnel to San Jose in anticipation of the Oilers firing McLellan
It sure feel like tonight is D-Day. If the Oilers lose again McLellan is almost certain to be gone. I just hope Gulutzan takes over at least on an intern basis.
Old 11-20-2018, 08:08 AM   #2945
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
I hope Mcllelan sticks around for a bit longer. As much as I want to see GG behind the bench, the longer TMac sticks around the better. Prolong the pain as much as possible.
It doesn't really matter, TMac is not the problem there. GG is not going to make it better. No one is. Having Wobbly Wayne in charge for a bit would be kinda funny though.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2018, 08:09 AM   #2946
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope they win and he gets a stay of execution. Just keep doing enough to be employed but not quite make playoffs.

Also the Sharks losing would be good for us.

Last edited by Hockeyguy15; 11-20-2018 at 08:13 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2018, 08:20 AM   #2947
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
That wink is

That wink....Draisaitl is going to be part of the #metoo movement methinks....

Super creepy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
A great trade for the Oilers? Not on Peter Chiarelli's watch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
You're the Oilers, you're about to fire your coach, and your replacement options are Wayne Gretzky and Glen Gulutzan - two of the most mediocre coaching minds of the last decade.

I'm sure they'll get a pop if Gretzky goes behind the bench, but it will be short lived. Gretzky's ability to see the game the way he did as a player won't avail him of much because it would be like trying to teach a pack of dogs about the colours of the rainbow.
I will laugh and laugh and laugh if they go back to MacTavish though. He is still kicking around...

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 11-20-2018, 08:21 AM   #2948
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if they look at Hartley.
Old 11-20-2018, 08:36 AM   #2949
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think that it will be Gretzky and Gulutzan with craig mactavish coming down to supervise as he did with Todd Nelson.

I’m thinking that they don’t fire McLellan outright; they just move him to a meaningless position like VP playoff planning or senior VP of Oilers player development. He might also get to audition for Katz next big movie on the casting couch. Better get some games won Todd!
Old 11-20-2018, 08:42 AM   #2950
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:

Edmonton continues to find more ways to be No Good. It is the host city of the 2018 Grey Cup Game. Unfortunately, the Eskimos completely missed the playoffs this year (in a league in which only 3 teams miss) and had no chance whatsoever of appearing in the championship game they were hosting.

To add salt to the Eskimos' wounds, their archrivals, the Calgary Stampeders, will come in as the representatives of the West and as the top team overall in the CFL and take over the Eskimos' locker room.

How sweet it will be for the Stamps to come in and take over their hated rivals' locker room as they play in the 2018 championship game. Frankly, I think it would be almost as sweet to win the Grey Cup in Edmonton as it would be to win it at home!
The Following User Says Thank You to Macindoc For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2018, 08:46 AM   #2951
mikeecho
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The best part of the Oilers saga is watching their media ride the emotional roller coaster up and then way down over and over again every year. Those guys take the highs and lows hard.
Old 11-20-2018, 08:47 AM   #2952
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeecho View Post
The best part of the Oilers saga is watching their media ride the emotional roller coaster up and then way down over and over again every year. Those guys take the highs and lows hard.
You'd think they'd know better by now considering the shameful lack of 'highs.'

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 11-20-2018, 08:49 AM   #2953
jschick88
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Totally agree. Start of the season they talk about all the amazing depth they have. Look out, here comes the Oilers. November comes along and it's full on panic mode. Year after year. It's amazing.
Old 11-20-2018, 08:52 AM   #2954
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oilers 3rd straight divisional game, after losing the first 2. The entire hockey community watching as it's the only game in the league on a Tuesday night.

A loss here and you gotta think it's the coach's last game.

I am contemplating cheering for the oilers tonight haha
Old 11-20-2018, 08:58 AM   #2955
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's a win-win evening!

I will be rooting for the Oilers to knock off SJ, because the Sharks are the only team in the division that the Flames need to concern themselves with. Plus, a win keeps the status quo in Edmonton for a while longer. #keepthedreamalive

Conversely, if the Oil lose again, well... never a bad thing!
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2018, 08:58 AM   #2956
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post

Say what you want about McLellan but Gretzky or Gulutzan would be massive downgrades. Sure there would be a short term boost but as you said it will be short lived.
Old 11-20-2018, 09:00 AM   #2957
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The problem is that if they roll off a couple of wins the high for them is akin to other fanbases high of winning a playoff series and that's a tough way to go through the ups and downs of an 82 game season when you are a team as bad as the Oilers.
Old 11-20-2018, 09:01 AM   #2958
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Say what you want about McLellan but Gretzky or Gulutzan would be massive downgrades. Sure there would be a short term boost but as you said it will be short lived.

I think McLellan is a good coach doing the rationale thing - which is to play the crap out of his only decent player. Anyone looking at the roster that concludes this is a coaching issue is fooling themselves.
Old 11-20-2018, 09:02 AM   #2959
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
It's a win-win evening!

I will be rooting for the Oilers to knock off SJ, because the Sharks are the only team in the division that the Flames need to concern themselves with. Plus, a win keeps the status quo in Edmonton for a while longer. #keepthedreamalive

Conversely, if the Oil lose again, well... never a bad thing!
As long as it's not a 3pts OT game, either outcome is acceptable. Personally I'd think I'd rather see an Oiler's win (*shudder*). Keeps SJ at bay, and probably buys TMac a couple more games.
Old 11-20-2018, 09:02 AM   #2960
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
The best thing about putting Gretzky in is that he'd be really hard for them to fire.
Closed Thread