Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 03:21 PM   #2881
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know, Darryl said he'd want to coach in Alberta and Calgary is no longer an option. But, please, Darryl, don't go there. You don't need the money that bad and you can't really make any difference at that dump... It will be so hard for a lot of us to stop liking you...
Old 11-19-2018, 03:27 PM   #2882
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Saw this posted after Oilers' loss to Vegas yesterday and LOL'd . It is absolutely a possible scenario!

Quote:
Mcnofool6110 #bringbacktheTeddy
Lets play Oilers GoodBad

The Oilers have fired Todd McLellan
The Oilers have named Craig MacTavish interim head coach
The Oilers have fired Peter Chiarelli
The Oilers have named Kevin Lowe as interim GM

Reckon thats probably plausible
Old 11-19-2018, 03:27 PM   #2883
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Meh. Everyone wanted to see Stewart there. GG moved him off pretty darn quick.

There's plenty to criticize GG about without making stuff up.
Revisionist history much?

No one did. Literally. No one mentioned him and Gaudreau together when he got claimed.

https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=167368

And when his first game linemates was announced? Not quite the everyone wanted him there...

Wes Gilbertson @WesGilbertson
Looks like RW Chris Stewart makes his #Flames debut tonight with a couple decent linemates — guys named Gaudreau and Monahan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan in Exile View Post
Excited to see Stewart play and hope he finds a hot streak. But starting him on the first line? Really? Why not play him with Jankowski? He's lucky to get a shot at being regular 3rd line RW, let alone first line. Why not leave Bennett there a few games? Really don't get it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
nemanja2036 just had a heart attack after reading this!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin22x View Post
heart attack is too much... just developed a twitch in one eye when he sees Stewart playing on the first line.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
This is indefensible coaching.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskal View Post
What the hell... why is he on the top line?

I suppose this is Gulutzan doing a bit of early tinkering since Stewart did say that anyone who gets to play with him gets a lot more space out there. If he falters, I expect him to be switched out back to Bennett.

They do need someone that can crash and bang like Ferly can (when he's on).
Even you...

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoFleury View Post
Jesus Christ just leave Bennett on the top line. Give him some actual time to develop some chemistry and see what happens. Stewart is not a better option in any way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemanja2306 View Post
Actually, neither. I am no longer surprised by dumb, baffling decisions made by this coaching staff.

Guy has like 5 points in his last 40+ games, has been scratched 12 times since January 4th.....of course he goes on the top line. It's typical Gulutzan.

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk
Gulutzan needs to be ridiculed far worse then he's been. And I am so glad he is on the Oilers and may become interim Head Coach. Worst coach ever.

Last edited by Firebot; 11-19-2018 at 03:29 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Firebot For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2018, 03:32 PM   #2884
genetic_phreek
First Line Centre

Exp:
icon57

What a beauty the Oilers media are.

https://edmontonsun.com/sports/hocke...sing-continues

From the article:

The Oilers got off to the starts they wanted against Calgary and Vegas, had a lead at the first intermission in each game and appeared to have things well in control. But the minute something went wrong, they curled up like Matthew Tkachuk and watched the other team push them out of the game.

E= no good * infinity squared
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to genetic_phreek For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2018, 03:36 PM   #2885
ColoradoFlamesFan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
I know, Darryl said he'd want to coach in Alberta and Calgary is no longer an option. But, please, Darryl, don't go there. You don't need the money that bad and you can't really make any difference at that dump... It will be so hard for a lot of us to stop liking you...
Peter will end up hiring Brian and then we can post the picture of Chia saying
“You’re telling me there’s more than one Sutter?”
Old 11-19-2018, 03:36 PM   #2886
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fine, not "everybody" But check the PGT. Lots did.

And you really think GG put him there because he was a RHS, and not because he was a new guy and hoped he'd play with jump?
Old 11-19-2018, 03:40 PM   #2887
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I thought that Rob was better then that, clearly his years of writing about sub par teams in Edmonton has snapped his spirit and clouded his brain.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Old 11-19-2018, 03:47 PM   #2888
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear View Post
When you have a negative value on ice contributor, the savings are all that matter. As has bee posted, the cap savings are significant.
Your definition of significant seems to differ from the rest of us
Old 11-19-2018, 03:49 PM   #2889
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1064310463897501697

This doesn't look like a man who's in any rush to get back into the NHL unless its on his terms.
Old 11-19-2018, 03:56 PM   #2890
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Fine, not "everybody" But check the PGT. Lots did.

And you really think GG put him there because he was a RHS, and not because he was a new guy and hoped he'd play with jump?
He dumped Bennett who had a great game, who needed a bump or jump far more as an important Flame than waiver pickup and UFA Chris Stewart would ever need. Bennett
to the RW on the first line was one of the only time he tried something different because of an injury which had positives and he reverses that move the next game because, Xs and Os.

And this PGT?

https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showth...=stewart+stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay Golden View Post
Yes a sensable HC and coaching staff is the most glaring element missing.
Treliving could pick up any 3rd-4th line player from any team and this clown Gulutzan will feel the need to put them with Johnny and Monahan.
Gulutzan is straight up a bizarre coach.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
I liked the flames taking a flyer on Stewart, I didn't like the move to put him immediately on the top line. This coaching staffs player utilization has been quite ridiculous, so it's not a surprise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Thought the 3rd period was a damn strong period for the Flames. It gave me faith for the team down the stretch...but if Stewart starts the next game on the Monahan or Backlund line...
No one wanted Stewart on the first line, some were ok with it, no one wanted it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Firebot For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2018, 03:57 PM   #2891
Phaneufenstein
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by genetic_phreek View Post
What a beauty the Oilers media are.

https://edmontonsun.com/sports/hocke...sing-continues

From the article:

The Oilers got off to the starts they wanted against Calgary and Vegas, had a lead at the first intermission in each game and appeared to have things well in control. But the minute something went wrong, they curled up like Matthew Tkachuk and watched the other team push them out of the game.

E= no good * infinity squared
From the same article:

Quote:
Adam Larsson says it’s way too early to even talk about a season being in jeopardy, but agrees that losing six out of seven games will put a scare into anyone. He admits the guys in the room are a little rattled, too.

“It seems like when we get down we get down too much,” he said. “The lows seem to be really low right now. If we can just get that out of our game and keep it an even keel we should be good.
The Gully Effect is gaining momentum
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Phaneufenstein For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2018, 04:03 PM   #2892
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

On the Fan this afternoon Elliott Friedman mentioned again about the Oilers and how everyone in the organization is on edge, no one feels safe, and the only one who wouldn't be punted might be Gretzky.

He's mentioned this a few times in the past, so there is probably something to it.

1. We've heard that before, and they do some house cleaning that they sell as whole scale changes, but still, they refuse to gut the management and purge the rotting nepotism and groupthink at its root.

2. If they actually did this and left Gretz in charge in any capacity really... that would be great.

I remember when he was coaching the Coyotes and I heard him say that he always believed going offside was a selfish play. That has always stuck with me and proves how out of touch he is with respect to coaching, development, and player evaluation.

Yeah I guess going offside is selfish when you have elite hockey sense, are thinking 3 plays ahead, and YOU want to be the one to score... however not everyone is like that.

3. Even if they were to initiate an organizational enema, the earliest they can fire their scouts is after the 2019 draft (but they are that stupid to restart a scouting staff in January when anyone competent is already employed).

This essentially means the earliest they can have a scouting staff WITHOUT the 80's OilBoys stank on it is 2020, meaning that it is probably 2-3 years down the line before they have meaningful contributions from players that were drafted... IF they were to actually make stellar picks and develop them properly.

There are a lot of connections here that have to go right for these clowns. The draft is a crapshoot even if you don't select your scouts offspring or local kids.

The owner and the fans have no patience for any of that.

Hopefully, neither does McDavid and after 4 years of having his doors blown off and putting the team on his back to a 17th place finish... he finally asks for a trade.
The Following User Says Thank You to Boreal For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2018, 04:04 PM   #2893
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Meh. Everyone wanted to see Stewart there. GG moved him off pretty darn quick.

There's plenty to criticize GG about without making stuff up.
Everyone? Don’t speak for the rest of us. A lot of us would have been happy keeping Bennett there instead. The idea that a waiver wire pickup would be the best fit on the top line was a moronic idea. GG had a lot of bad ideas in his time here and that was clearly another example.
Old 11-19-2018, 04:06 PM   #2894
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Everyone? Don’t speak for the rest of us. A lot of us would have been happy keeping Bennett there instead. The idea that a waiver wire pickup would be the best fit on the top line was a moronic idea. GG had a lot of bad ideas in his time here and that was clearly another example.
Or a page right of 'How to Hockey' by the Oilers.
Old 11-19-2018, 04:10 PM   #2895
The Boy Wonder
First Line Centre

Exp:

Really made me happy watching the game on saturday and saw GG say something during a stoppage to Bennett who was pushing and shoving with one of the oilers and Bennett and tkachuk both told him to shut the #### up
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to The Boy Wonder For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2018, 04:13 PM   #2896
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy Wonder View Post
Really made me happy watching the game on saturday and saw GG say something during a stoppage to Bennett who was pushing and shoving with one of the oilers and Bennett and tkachuk both told him to shut the #### up
I need to see this footage.
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to jg13 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2018, 04:18 PM   #2897
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy Wonder View Post
I tried finding it to pull the GIF, but wasn't able to see it.

Any idea when it happened? I checked after the slewfoot, the Backlund/McDavid, and the Tkachuk/Kassian incidents.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2018, 04:21 PM   #2898
The Boy Wonder
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
I tried finding it to pull the GIF, but wasn't able to see it.

Any idea when it happened? I checked after the slewfoot, the Backlund/McDavid, and the Tkachuk/Kassian incidents.
i'll go back and look but I was a few beers in. I thought it was third period at some point
Old 11-19-2018, 04:22 PM   #2899
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebot View Post
Revisionist history much?
Meh again. The coach explained why he put him there (and almost every other line). nothing to do with RHS (other than he was, you know a right winger):

https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/stew...ne/c-296422280

Quote:
"That's how it will start but I did tell Stewie today that I am probably going to move him around a little bit. You want to give a guy a heads up before you go into the game and say, 'Hey, I might move you around a little bit. You never know where chemistry comes from but I'm going to start you there.' That's what it is."

I can't believe I had to go back and look, and in fairness it was in the Stewart thread and not the PGT (though you knew that because you quoted me from it). But there were more posters who were supportive than not:

Since1984
Powerplay Quarterback

And worst case scenario? They move him down to the third line and move Bennett back up to the top line. There is no problem with what is being tested out. Why not try and catch lightning in a bottle?

Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

I thought he would get some time on the top line, just didn't think he would start there! Don't disagree with the move. He is going to be jacked for his first game on a new team, and might as well make use of that energy. Hopefully he pots one in.

The thing I like about him is how versatile he is. He is tough, he can score (streaky, but can score), he isn't slow, he can pass and make plays, but he can also play with grinders just as well as he can play with skilled players. I am sure Gulutzan will use him up and down the lineup depending on how he is doing, and how the other lines are doing.

burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Wouldn't hurt to try and get his confidence going early. Hopefully they are all playing a 200ft game so they don't get burned defensively.

Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Some guys have a bump in effort and energy when they start on a new team. I think this is just trying to capitalize on that.

Racki
First Line Centre

I would agree. I'm not a pro Gultuzan guy but I can almost make sense of this if I squint a little. Starting off with a two point night and a scrap sticking up for Johnny gets him settled in and feeling good about himself.

It's a sprint right now and Stewart has shown in the past that he can be a real force for short periods of time if he's feeling good about himself.

Braden
Farm Team Player

I'm all for to give it a try, do I think it will work? Not necessarily. There adding fuel to his fire and I support that. I think this game alone regardless of where he plays will be a good indication of what he we will bring to this team, one way or another.

Iceman90
Powerplay Quarterback

Coach Gulutzen said he will start Stewart on the first line, but plans to move him around the lineup, to see where chemistry comes from.

dino7c
Franchise Player

Let's be real Stewart would probably have 20 too if he was playing with JG and Mony all year. Big, right shot, some skill...why not? And it's not like it's set in stone.

Steveyoto
Backup Goalie

I think it is a good idea to have a big strong winger playing with Johnny. We need to let people know that he is not to be touched.... Well not very hard anyway.

Gundo

Powerplay Quarterback

Seriously though I’m looking forwards to seeing him on the top line as a trial. He’s got some finish and he’s tougher than anyone else has been on this team for a couple years. He can create room for “the bling” and protect the little gaffer as well.

Torchdemall
Powerplay Quarterback

GG could have put him in the press box and some people would be bitching that he’s gonna eat all the popcorn, or have him ride pine and he is taking the best view or JGs favourite spot. Can do no right, heck I say start from the top and then shuffle from there, those two I think are the best place to start but does it really matter that much if he’s gonna move around?

camm13
Backup Goalie

The same people hear freaking out are likely the same ones that did when we brought over Kris Versteeg who was on a PTO was on the first line to start. It's just a test of chemistry for christ sake.

as for me:

a. Is it a demotion? Or just trying line combos?
b. There are a number of potential reasons, whether you agree or not. This move causes less disruption throughout the lineup, puts a guy kinda like Ferland in Ferland's spot, puts a big scary dude alongside the top stars, takes advantage of any "new team/first game" energy that Stewart has and maybe helps him off to a good start after the move.
Old 11-19-2018, 04:23 PM   #2900
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not saying it didn’t happen but that sounds very out of character for Gulutzan.
Closed Thread