Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2021, 05:43 PM   #4441
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It’s more like 4%. Multiply elevation in feet by 0.00116 for % increase.

I played on Vancouver island last summer and saw basically no change in my distances so I don’t think it’s that big of a deal for Calgary players.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 12:18 AM   #4442
Rutuu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post

I played on Vancouver island last summer and saw basically no change in my distances so I don’t think it’s that big of a deal for Calgary players.
https://www.titleist.com/teamtitleis...l-aerodynamics

I assume this is where you're getting your figures. Definitely more accurate.

There is a caveat about shorter shots as they have less flight time, so Victoria checks out.

Thank you for the conversion.
Rutuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 11:31 AM   #4443
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Really? Are you a low ball hitter? I lose a full club playing in Victoria and about half a club playing in Phoenix.

When I caddied in the ATB the guy I was looping for was taking off 8% for the elevation and 2% for the temperature. The whole tournament was played in 30C+ heat.
Old 07-10-2021, 11:52 AM   #4444
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Really? Are you a low ball hitter? I lose a full club playing in Victoria and about half a club playing in Phoenix.

When I caddied in the ATB the guy I was looping for was taking off 8% for the elevation and 2% for the temperature. The whole tournament was played in 30C+ heat.
I mean I only played 2 rounds. But I didn’t really notice. I’m a 12 cap though haha so that might play into it.

Wouldn’t the heat increase distance? Less dense air?
Old 07-10-2021, 12:05 PM   #4445
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I mean I only played 2 rounds. But I didn’t really notice. I’m a 12 cap though haha so that might play into it.

Wouldn’t the heat increase distance? Less dense air?
Yes that's what I'm saying 8% off yardages for elevation and 2% off for distance. So 150y shot would play 135y, give or take.
Old 07-10-2021, 08:21 PM   #4446
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Today I played with a young man who cuts and sets the pins on our greens in Nanton. We get to the par 4 -16th hole and he tells me he wants to try and drive the green. He hits the ball pretty far and I thought this should be interesting.

From the blues he drives the ball 330+ yards down the fairway and over a pond in the front of the green with his ball rolling to within 4 feet of the cup. He makes the putt and gets an eagle.

My body hurt just watching him coil up and release as he hit the ball
Old 07-11-2021, 01:07 PM   #4447
bomber317
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So at what point do you say it’s too dangerous to golf in the rain with lighting?

At Confed this morning, started to rain heavy and then we saw some lightening hit nearby. That’s when we called it and ran to the parking lot.

Only has 2 more holes to go but we didn’t feel comfortable finishing the round.
bomber317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 07:02 AM   #4448
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber317 View Post
So at what point do you say it’s too dangerous to golf in the rain with lighting?

At Confed this morning, started to rain heavy and then we saw some lightening hit nearby. That’s when we called it and ran to the parking lot.

Only has 2 more holes to go but we didn’t feel comfortable finishing the round.
I would not golf if you can see lightning.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 09:13 AM   #4449
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

go to 1.20 in the following clip to see how to deal with lightning

Old 07-12-2021, 10:24 AM   #4450
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Haha...we had a scramble down south this weekend and our starting hole was one of the furthest away from the clubhouse. We did not see the lightning at first and played through. Apparently they blew the horn and had a 1 hour delay. We didn't find that out until our 3rd hole in
brocoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 11:14 AM   #4451
bomber317
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocoli View Post
Haha...we had a scramble down south this weekend and our starting hole was one of the furthest away from the clubhouse. We did not see the lightning at first and played through. Apparently they blew the horn and had a 1 hour delay. We didn't find that out until our 3rd hole in
yeah, they didn't blow the horn when we were on.

City course, I'm not sure what their protocols are.
bomber317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 06:46 AM   #4452
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just getting into golf this year after not playing for 4 years (and very casually, maybe a dozen rounds in my life) and I just can't get enough!

My fourth round of the season and I shot a 112, which I'm pretty happy with.

Nailed a 42 yard pitch to save par after losing a ball to the water haha

Can't wait to keep playing and continue to get better!
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to indes For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2021, 07:06 AM   #4453
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

it is kind of nice that the wife is enjoying golfing this year, as it makes it easier to go guilt free - now if only she found fart jokes funny.

we are going to revelstoke at the end of the month and she booked us two tee times.

we held off booking the vacation due to the covid restrictions and now i am hoping that wildfires do not impact things
Old 07-14-2021, 10:39 AM   #4454
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am free of the family for the next week. My regular golf buddies have pretty much stopped golfing so I'm looking for some new playing partners. If anyone has an opening for a single this weekend let me know. I'm free on Saturday morning or Sunday afternoon.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 01:28 PM   #4455
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm old, mid 50s. So feeling like I should take advantage of new tech, I upgraded my 10 year old TM RBZ stiff driver (which I quite liked) to a new TM Sim2 regular shaft driver.

Unfortunately the new driver is giving me problems. I am hitting mostly slice, and not as long and solid as the old driver.

My swing speed has always been on the slow side so probably should not have had a stiff shaft to begin with, and only hit 240 on a good day, but am not getting more than 210 out of the new driver.

Disappointed. Looks like am going back to the old driver and putting the new one up for sale...
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 02:12 PM   #4456
prarieboy
Late Bloomer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
I'm old, mid 50s. So feeling like I should take advantage of new tech, I upgraded my 10 year old TM RBZ stiff driver (which I quite liked) to a new TM Sim2 regular shaft driver.

Unfortunately the new driver is giving me problems. I am hitting mostly slice, and not as long and solid as the old driver.

My swing speed has always been on the slow side so probably should not have had a stiff shaft to begin with, and only hit 240 on a good day, but am not getting more than 210 out of the new driver.

Disappointed. Looks like am going back to the old driver and putting the new one up for sale...
Does it have adjustable loft? Maybe try increasing the loft which closes up the clubface, might help with the slice.
prarieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 02:16 PM   #4457
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Of course the one day this week I have a tee time (tomorrow) its calling for thunderstorms...

https://weather.gc.ca/city/pages/ab-52_metric_e.html
Old 07-14-2021, 03:46 PM   #4458
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by prarieboy View Post
Does it have adjustable loft? Maybe try increasing the loft which closes up the clubface, might help with the slice.
Thanks will try. Old driver was 9, new 10.5 so dialed it down, but will set it back.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 04:40 PM   #4459
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

Any suggestions on a reasonably priced ($200-300) putter? All the guys I usually play with are pushing the Scotty on me, but it's simply too expensive. I have an old Odyssey white hot which I enjoy, but it's showing some wear and the face is definitely no longer white.
Old 07-15-2021, 05:13 PM   #4460
Mayer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkajz44 View Post
Any suggestions on a reasonably priced ($200-300) putter? All the guys I usually play with are pushing the Scotty on me, but it's simply too expensive. I have an old Odyssey white hot which I enjoy, but it's showing some wear and the face is definitely no longer white.
A couple weeks ago I bought a new Cleveland Frontline putter (Elevado model) from Golftown in Shawnessy. I, like you, wanted something new and this felt great. The weight is in the face of the putter rather than the bottom. I'm not sure if that's the difference for me, but I love the solid feel, especially on putts under 15 feet.

They also have several different variations of the Frontline series to fit your putting style.

https://www.golftown.com/en-CA/clubs...=en_CA&start=1

I am beginning to question the moral character of those who cheer for Vancouver.
Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mayer For This Useful Post:

Tags
net5 , punch out , royal boulder , tpc fox hollow