Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2020, 10:22 PM   #3241
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WacoKid View Post
I like srixon z-stars. Or Pro-Vs. On reasonably receptive greens they’ll talk to you.
Srixon soft feel is another ball I like.
Old 08-18-2020, 06:05 AM   #3242
sl888
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
Let’s talk about balls.

I want to hear opinions on prov1 vs Taylor made TP5 vs Bridgestone vs Kirkland etc.

I can’t kick my Prov1 habit. They just feel amazing....when I hit my irons pure there is no better sound and feeling and ball flight than pasting a 5 iron dead straight into outer space.

Played Bridgestone but don’t get the same feel. Same with the Kirkland knock offs. TP5 is a great ball but when I hit a pure Prov it’s still different than a pure TP5....no idea why.

All in my head or what?

As a mid handicapper is there really a difference?
I agree as well, the feel is different.
Have you tried Vice? They've updated their lineup for 2020. I played their old versions and had durability issues but performance is similar to Pro V1. Would like to try the new ones.

sl888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 07:34 AM   #3243
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WacoKid View Post
Thanks for asking. My clubs are so old (about 15 years on average) I had to go to the garage for a look.

Driver - Cleveland Launcher 9.5 degrees, stiff shaft (remember their old gold shafts, it’s over 15 years old)
3 wood - Mizuno, stiff shaft
Taylor Made Rescue hybrid - 19 degrees, stiff shaft (over 15 years old)
Irons - Mizuno MP33 blades
Wedges - Cleveland (various vintages)
Putter - Scotty C Futura Phantom mallet (made 2005-2007)

My clubs on the coast are pretty close to duplicates except the driver is 10 degrees, the three wood is Titleist and the irons are MP32s (they play pretty much the same as the 33s)

Like I said, other than regular grip changes and replacing wedges as they wear, I don’t change clubs often.

And those Scotty C Futura Phantoms (with fat grips) are gems. You don’t them see much at all these days.

Oh, and I really don’t understand all this new adjustable technology. Unless a golfer wants to groove a defective swing, I guess.

How about you?
Wow, I use to play a similar set up. Had a Cleveland sponsorship back in the day so got a set of Clevelands a year for a few years. Loved the Launcher until the Titleist 983 series came out. Then made me realize that you should play the best club from any manufacturer. So I tend to move clubs in and out of the bag as the ebbs and flows of the game changes. Right now I have two different setups that I rely upon.

Driver is consistent. Taylormade R1, set to 10 degrees and neutral weighting. Custom steel shaft, stiff and a half. Stiff and a half achieved by tipping the shafts out and relying on the lower kick point. Same setup for all clubs with the exception of the wedges.

Putter is consistent 2005 Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2.5.

Set #1 - 2013 Cleveland 588 MB, 3-PW. 2004 Cleveland 588 Beryllium wedges (52, 56, 60).

Set #2 - 2006 Mizuno MP32 2-PW. Mizuno TPX black wedges (52, 56, 60).

I supplement each set with a Ping Rapture 3 wood or a Ping G10 utility (15, 21, or 24 depending on need). It all depends what I think the course is most likely to need.

My favorite set of irons is the MP32. Just wonderful to play with exceptional feel. I have three sets of them, although one is a collector set from Japan that I have hit only once. I keep a set in my office, just in case a sudden round beckons.

I'm still a big Cleveland guy as well. I have a couple other sets of 588s from the 80s that are just fun to go out and play with. As hard to hit as the Hogan Apex and just as tiny to setup with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
Let’s talk about balls.

I want to hear opinions on prov1 vs Taylor made TP5 vs Bridgestone vs Kirkland etc.

I can’t kick my Prov1 habit. They just feel amazing....when I hit my irons pure there is no better sound and feeling and ball flight than pasting a 5 iron dead straight into outer space.

Played Bridgestone but don’t get the same feel. Same with the Kirkland knock offs. TP5 is a great ball but when I hit a pure Prov it’s still different than a pure TP5....no idea why.

All in my head or what?

As a mid handicapper is there really a difference?
Balls are a really cool topic and where "fitting" really helps. You should get on a launch monitor and see what your swing speed is and what type of spin you are creating with your clubs. This will help select the best ball for your game.

I think you want to break it down into what you can compress to get the most out of the ball. The more layers to the ball, the greater the swing speed required to make them perform. Most players have a slower swing speed, so they should be in three piece ball (Pro-V, ERC, Q-Star, and Kirkland Sig3 are the best IMO). Those with higher swing speeds can go to a four piece (Pro-Vx, Kirkland KSig Original, Truvis, Chromesoft) or five piece ball (TP5). You really have to have some swing speed to compress the four and five piece balls to get the most out of them.

To me, the most important thing is the cover. I want a ball that is going to react when I hit the green, so a soft cover is a must. To find that cover I take two balls out of a sleeve and rub them against each other. If they bite against each other, that is indicative of a nice soft cover which will really bite the club and the green. They generate the most spin as well, so if you have a shot bias you may take that into consideration. They can also be a bear to play in the wind. More wind, less spin is desirable. Also take temperature into consideration. Cooler temperatures mean you want a softer ball. So keep a sleeve or two of those in your bag too.

Personally I use the Kirkland KSig Original and Pro-V1x as my go to balls. When it gets colder or windy out I go to the Pro-V. When its frosty, I pull out the Flying Lady (no joke) and play those. They are a really great ball when it is really cold out and when your buddies are dropping distance with their Pro-Vs you'll be hitting that little pick nugget well past them. Just like your clubs, there is the right ball for the right conditions.

Hope this is helpful.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2020, 03:47 PM   #3244
Rutuu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Wow, I use to play a similar set up. Had a Cleveland sponsorship back in the day so got a set of Clevelands a year for a few years. Loved the Launcher until the Titleist 983 series came out. Then made me realize that you should play the best club from any manufacturer. So I tend to move clubs in and out of the bag as the ebbs and flows of the game changes. Right now I have two different setups that I rely upon.

Driver is consistent. Taylormade R1, set to 10 degrees and neutral weighting. Custom steel shaft, stiff and a half. Stiff and a half achieved by tipping the shafts out and relying on the lower kick point. Same setup for all clubs with the exception of the wedges.

Putter is consistent 2005 Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2.5.

Set #1 - 2013 Cleveland 588 MB, 3-PW. 2004 Cleveland 588 Beryllium wedges (52, 56, 60).

Set #2 - 2006 Mizuno MP32 2-PW. Mizuno TPX black wedges (52, 56, 60).

I supplement each set with a Ping Rapture 3 wood or a Ping G10 utility (15, 21, or 24 depending on need). It all depends what I think the course is most likely to need.

My favorite set of irons is the MP32. Just wonderful to play with exceptional feel. I have three sets of them, although one is a collector set from Japan that I have hit only once. I keep a set in my office, just in case a sudden round beckons.

I'm still a big Cleveland guy as well. I have a couple other sets of 588s from the 80s that are just fun to go out and play with. As hard to hit as the Hogan Apex and just as tiny to setup with.

Balls are a really cool topic and where "fitting" really helps. You should get on a launch monitor and see what your swing speed is and what type of spin you are creating with your clubs. This will help select the best ball for your game.

I think you want to break it down into what you can compress to get the most out of the ball. The more layers to the ball, the greater the swing speed required to make them perform. Most players have a slower swing speed, so they should be in three piece ball (Pro-V, ERC, Q-Star, and Kirkland Sig3 are the best IMO). Those with higher swing speeds can go to a four piece (Pro-Vx, Kirkland KSig Original, Truvis, Chromesoft) or five piece ball (TP5). You really have to have some swing speed to compress the four and five piece balls to get the most out of them.

To me, the most important thing is the cover. I want a ball that is going to react when I hit the green, so a soft cover is a must. To find that cover I take two balls out of a sleeve and rub them against each other. If they bite against each other, that is indicative of a nice soft cover which will really bite the club and the green. They generate the most spin as well, so if you have a shot bias you may take that into consideration. They can also be a bear to play in the wind. More wind, less spin is desirable. Also take temperature into consideration. Cooler temperatures mean you want a softer ball. So keep a sleeve or two of those in your bag too.

Personally I use the Kirkland KSig Original and Pro-V1x as my go to balls. When it gets colder or windy out I go to the Pro-V. When its frosty, I pull out the Flying Lady (no joke) and play those. They are a really great ball when it is really cold out and when your buddies are dropping distance with their Pro-Vs you'll be hitting that little pick nugget well past them. Just like your clubs, there is the right ball for the right conditions.

Hope this is helpful.
That was really helpful. Especially the part about the ball construction v swing speed. I found a TP5 optic the other day and the feel was quite a bit different off my club face compared to my usual Snell Black.

I actually think a fitting for golf balls makes sense. Is there any data on club head speed or ball speed vs ball construction out there, or a rule of thumb?
Rutuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 04:48 PM   #3245
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Courses can really help pace of play with how they set their tee times. 10 minute intervals seems about right to me, 8 minutes is just to close and it seems those are the courses that are always backed up when I play.

Regarding balls, I spend way too much time looking for ones I lose (example, yesterday I lost 8 off the tee). I should say I am looking for a lost ball a lot, I won’t spend a lot of time actually looking though, just a quick search and then carry on. But I do tend to find a lot of balls which I then end up playing. Anecdotally this year my bag has slowly filled with Taylormade, I seem to be finding way more of them this year.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 05:07 PM   #3246
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Playing Priddis, Raven course, for the first time tomorrow. Haven't played either course at Priddis so excited for the opportunity!
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2020, 05:21 PM   #3247
Rutuu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Courses can really help pace of play with how they set their tee times. 10 minute intervals seems about right to me, 8 minutes is just to close and it seems those are the courses that are always backed up when I play.

Regarding balls, I spend way too much time looking for ones I lose (example, yesterday I lost 8 off the tee). I should say I am looking for a lost ball a lot, I won’t spend a lot of time actually looking though, just a quick search and then carry on. But I do tend to find a lot of balls which I then end up playing. Anecdotally this year my bag has slowly filled with Taylormade, I seem to be finding way more of them this year.
I'm wild off the tee too, and can have 10+ penalty shots a game (its gotten better). I figure I'm just going to spend money on lessons and training aids till I get consistent, then I'll have that swing for life...giving me more time to drink with my friends instead of hitting provisionals / punching out.
Old 08-18-2020, 05:40 PM   #3248
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutuu View Post
That was really helpful. Especially the part about the ball construction v swing speed. I found a TP5 optic the other day and the feel was quite a bit different off my club face compared to my usual Snell Black.

I actually think a fitting for golf balls makes sense. Is there any data on club head speed or ball speed vs ball construction out there, or a rule of thumb?
Here's two sites that break balls out based on their brand and spin rate.

https://golf-info-guide.com/golf-tip...ll-spin-chart/

https://www.golfballplanet.com/blog/spin-comparison/

Here's the thing that is going to bend your mind. Faster club head speed means less spin rate. Slower swing rate generates more spin. You also have to take into consideration launch angle. All of this can be measured on a launch meter, so figuring out which ball to use is easier after you get all this information from that session. So for players with slower swings should want a low spin ball to prevent your miss hits from turning into crazy slices or hooks. Players with high swing speeds can play high spin balls as the energy will keep the ball straighter (watch out for that wind with the high spin ball). Hope this helps.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 06:37 PM   #3249
Rutuu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Here's two sites that break balls out based on their brand and spin rate.

https://golf-info-guide.com/golf-tip...ll-spin-chart/

https://www.golfballplanet.com/blog/spin-comparison/

Here's the thing that is going to bend your mind. Faster club head speed means less spin rate. Slower swing rate generates more spin. You also have to take into consideration launch angle. All of this can be measured on a launch meter, so figuring out which ball to use is easier after you get all this information from that session. So for players with slower swings should want a low spin ball to prevent your miss hits from turning into crazy slices or hooks. Players with high swing speeds can play high spin balls as the energy will keep the ball straighter (watch out for that wind with the high spin ball). Hope this helps.
That actually is a mind blower. I know that the high swing speed guys can hit the power fade, now this makes more sense why the losses are less at higher swing speeds.

Also interesting that I've been learning a 3/4 punch shot for the wind, and one of the aspects is to slow the swing speed as well. I might have to take a look at the ball I play as well as technique.
Old 08-18-2020, 07:09 PM   #3250
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Playing Priddis, Raven course, for the first time tomorrow. Haven't played either course at Priddis so excited for the opportunity!
Awesome! Raven is a good course. It’s tight, and kind of sneaky hard. The greens are pretty quick right now, but overall it’s in nice shape.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2020, 03:18 PM   #3251
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Awesome! Raven is a good course. It’s tight, and kind of sneaky hard. The greens are pretty quick right now, but overall it’s in nice shape.
Weird weird round. We started on the back 9 and I went 50-38 for the weirdest 88 of my life. Fantastic course and condition and everything though.
Old 08-19-2020, 06:09 PM   #3252
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hah! I’ve had two rounds this year where I’ve gone 52-38 and 38-50 on the same course, back to back. Golf doesn’t make sense.

Played really well on the back today and messed it up with double bogeys on 16 and 17. Ended up with 40, par on the other 7 holes.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 09:00 PM   #3253
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Weird weird round. We started on the back 9 and I went 50-38 for the weirdest 88 of my life. Fantastic course and condition and everything though.
Played with a guy on the weekend that hit a 49 on the front and par on the back (35). Hit that 'peak' after a couple beers.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 09:25 PM   #3254
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
Played with a guy on the weekend that hit a 49 on the front and par on the back (35). Hit that 'peak' after a couple beers.
I grabbed 3 tall boys and a smokie at the turn. I guess I know what to do before I start now...
Old 08-21-2020, 01:15 AM   #3255
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
I call it aiming fluid.
Old 08-21-2020, 11:49 AM   #3256
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just need to play a bit more to get some consistency in my game.

First 6 holes: +4
Next 6 holes: +8
Last 6 holes: Even

Can feel the game coming together but just can't make it happen for a full round.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 06:01 PM   #3257
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

I'm up to 73 rounds so far this summer and my body is starting to feel it. My arms and shoulders from swinging the club to my legs for all the walking I do on the course.

Even though the weather is nice I find myself taking more days off due to the soreness.

Being sore has caused me to develop some bad habits that i'm now recognizing with my swing. My mental aspect of the game has fallen off also.
Old 08-23-2020, 11:32 AM   #3258
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anyone know of a practice bunker in the city that’s open to the public?

My game is coming together but I have zero confidence getting out of green side bunkers.
Zarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 01:01 PM   #3259
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarley View Post
Anyone know of a practice bunker in the city that’s open to the public?

My game is coming together but I have zero confidence getting out of green side bunkers.

Mckenzie Meadows on the west side range, I believe.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2020, 01:51 PM   #3260
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
I'm up to 73 rounds so far this summer and my body is starting to feel it. My arms and shoulders from swinging the club to my legs for all the walking I do on the course.

Even though the weather is nice I find myself taking more days off due to the soreness.

Being sore has caused me to develop some bad habits that i'm now recognizing with my swing. My mental aspect of the game has fallen off also.
I’m with you on this. My shoulder was getting sore and I found out that I developed a rotator cuff injury. So now I’ve been out for 3 weeks. Been doing Physio, treatments and taking anti-inflamatories. Hoping to be back in a few...

In reality though, I just hope I can back on the course before the end of the season.
csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to csnarpy For This Useful Post:

Tags
net5 , punch out , royal boulder , tpc fox hollow