Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-20-2019, 09:10 AM   #81
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon7 View Post
If the Flames have to eat half his salary they might as well buy him out. Not sure any team will touch him at $2.5M frankly.

Treliving is getting good at collecting buyouts.
Eating half his salary means he's only on the books for four years at $2.875 million instead of eight years at $1.9 million.

That said, we're clearly stuck with him for at least one more year. If not two. Hopefully he spends the summer looking at himself in a mirror and shows up next year prepared to play.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 09:12 AM   #82
pgsieve
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

The irony here is that we didn’t pull the trigger on Mark Stone out of fear of losing Valamaki and our first, etc. The irony being that we are likely paying that now to get rid of him
Old 04-20-2019, 09:13 AM   #83
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

As we saw last night scratching him for a guy like Czarnik wasn't the answer to the team's issues to end the season. He's not going to get bought out one year into this deal after the team is still carrying Brouwer's $1.2 million dead cap hit until 21/22. It's one of those things where you hope he has a good offseason and has a better 2nd season. You can't keep buying out players so if he has to spend the duration of the deal playing on the 3rd and 4th line that's the way it's going to have to be.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2019, 09:14 AM   #84
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

No clue what the Flames will do with this situation, unfortunately its really obvious one of Neal's biggest issues is his foot speed.

No sure he is a trade-able player, better hope he has a really good offseason
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 09:20 AM   #85
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

I can’t see a single NHL team wanting his services unless we take back an equally bad contract. Maybe if that player has a smaller mouth than Neal it would be worth it.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2019, 09:21 AM   #86
Steve Bozek
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphusk View Post
Did they steal his heart also?
No, I suspect there’s lots of heart there(maybe less after being scratched for the most important game of the season). I’m sure he’s as disappointed and frustrated as everyone.
But age has probably made him a bit slower, and at the level of performance needed to be an NHL player, a fraction less speed puts you in a lesser position to score or defend. I fear it’s downhill from here on, at >$5 million/season.
Steve Bozek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 09:22 AM   #87
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
If the Flames have to eat half his salary they might as well buy him out. Not sure any team will touch him at $2.5M frankly.

Treliving is getting good at collecting buyouts.
Eating half his salary in a trade means we pay him for half the amount of years. That’s a no brainer in my opinion.
Old 04-20-2019, 09:22 AM   #88
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

I’d love to see Neal take this season to heart and go all Rocky 3 montage this summer. Come back in the fall, lead the team on and off the ice and see what happens. Drop $15,000 or $20,000 on performance coaching like Adam Oates’ group. Go into hiding for the summer and work on the skills that he still has. He’s still relatively young.

Now, I don’t have high hopes that he’ll do it but I’d love to see it.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2019, 09:25 AM   #89
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

My thought is we can trade him for another bad contract in the league. I know those kind of trades rarely seem to work. But maybe another team will believe Neal can rejuvenate himself? If he plays on another teams first or second line maybe he can regain his 20/20 form...

Here are other bad contracts I think Neal could be dealt for straight up.
Bobby Ryan 3 years left at 7.25
Andrew Ladd 4 years left at 5.50
Corey Perry 2 years left at 8.625
Ryan Kesler 3 years left at 6.875
Karl Alzer 3 years left at 4.625
Kyle Okposo 4 years left at 6.00
Brendan Dubinsky 2 years left at 5.85
Loui Eriksson 3 years left at 6.00

I'm sure there are more that I can't think of.... but instead of buying him out or taking on any salary, why not try out a second option. I did not include Lucic and Seabrook in the equation; those have to be the two worst contracts in the league.
trackercowe is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to trackercowe For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2019, 09:40 AM   #90
burn_baby_burn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bozek View Post
No, I suspect there’s lots of heart there(maybe less after being scratched for the most important game of the season). I’m sure he’s as disappointed and frustrated as everyone.
But age has probably made him a bit slower, and at the level of performance needed to be an NHL player, a fraction less speed puts you in a lesser position to score or defend. I fear it’s downhill from here on, at >$5 million/season.
The clip Flash Walken shared, shows more than a lack of speed. The big, looping, battle ship turn, is something that would drive a Pee Wee coach up the wall. He is just lazy or doesn't care. An invested player who wants to win doesn't make a loop like that, ever. Especially in a critical game in the third period of the playoffs.
Old 04-20-2019, 09:48 AM   #91
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaMatt View Post
Deliberately stayed away from the multiple Neal discussions during the playoffs. What’s really suspicious is the usual dozen (or so) avid James Neal defenders, who have stifled any Neal criticism all season, are somehow absent from this thread (and the many other Neal threads during the playoffs). I imagine my presence will now bring them out of hiding!

Let’s hope his nonsensical contract doesn’t limit our options to improve this team next season.
It was never about people not wanting Neal to be criticized it was the manner in which you did so with obsessive singular focus and being dismissive of any counter point
Rarely people get upset on this site about what people say more how they say it

Last edited by Jiri Hrdina; 04-20-2019 at 09:56 AM.
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2019, 09:55 AM   #92
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackercowe View Post
My thought is we can trade him for another bad contract in the league. I know those kind of trades rarely seem to work. But maybe another team will believe Neal can rejuvenate himself? If he plays on another teams first or second line maybe he can regain his 20/20 form...

Here are other bad contracts I think Neal could be dealt for straight up.
Bobby Ryan 3 years left at 7.25
Andrew Ladd 4 years left at 5.50
Corey Perry 2 years left at 8.625
Ryan Kesler 3 years left at 6.875
Karl Alzer 3 years left at 4.625
Kyle Okposo 4 years left at 6.00
Brendan Dubinsky 2 years left at 5.85
Loui Eriksson 3 years left at 6.00

I'm sure there are more that I can't think of.... but instead of buying him out or taking on any salary, why not try out a second option. I did not include Lucic and Seabrook in the equation; those have to be the two worst contracts in the league.
I would seriously consider trading for Ryan if Ottawa ate like $1 million of his salary. He's got about the same passion level as Neal, but he actually still produces adequately. Big body, and throws more hits than Neal throws. It's an upgrade to the 2nd/3rd line.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 09:56 AM   #93
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
It was never about people not wanting Neal to be criticized it was the manner in which you did so with obsessive singular focus and being dismissive of any counter point
Rarely people get upset ok this site about what people say more how they say it
Nailed it.
Old 04-20-2019, 10:06 AM   #94
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
I would seriously consider trading for Ryan if Ottawa ate like $1 million of his salary. He's got about the same passion level as Neal, but he actually still produces adequately. Big body, and throws more hits than Neal throws. It's an upgrade to the 2nd/3rd line.
Yeah Ryan would be #1 on my list as well. He had a bit of a bounce back year in Ottawa last season. He's younger than Neal and deserves another shot with a winning team. Just gotta find a way to convince Dorian to make the deal
trackercowe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 10:27 AM   #95
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackercowe View Post
Yeah Ryan would be #1 on my list as well. He had a bit of a bounce back year in Ottawa last season. He's younger than Neal and deserves another shot with a winning team. Just gotta find a way to convince Dorian to make the deal
He's older than neal.

Makes more money.

Has a no-trade clause.

Isn't a Centre.

'bounce back year' = 42 points.

If Bobby Ryan is a Flame next year that's probably it for me with this franchise.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 10:44 AM   #96
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone with less term than Neal is worth considering IMO. He was scratched in favor of an AHL level player in most important game of year.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2019, 10:55 AM   #97
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Eating half his salary in a trade means we pay him for half the amount of years. That’s a no brainer in my opinion.
It's all about cap management. It's a million more of a cap hit if we eat half his salary in a trade.
cannon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 11:03 AM   #98
2macinnis2
Scoring Winger

Exp:

They’re stuck, got to hope he at least partially figures it out. Goal scorers are streaky. At least they’re not going to lose a top player over his contract. Trade Frolik and/or Brodie and cap situation is fine. Hopefully sign Tkachuk for under 8 long term.
2macinnis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 11:07 AM   #99
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
He's older than neal.

Makes more money.

Has a no-trade clause.

Isn't a Centre.

'bounce back year' = 42 points.

If Bobby Ryan is a Flame next year that's probably it for me with this franchise.
Shorter contract, honestly I doubt the Sens would do it
Old 04-20-2019, 11:10 AM   #100
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
It's all about cap management. It's a million more of a cap hit if we eat half his salary in a trade.
Considering term is a critical part of cap management.

I really don’t like the idea of paying Neal for 3-4 more years than every single contract we have on the books.