Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-08-2018, 09:48 AM   #61
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Not sure why I'm quoted on that, I was just saying that Peluso wasn't noticeable except when he stayed out a bit long and nearly got hemmed into his own zone

As to your point though, it was also brought up on the radio that Kessler was oddly well behaved. Again, may have nothing to do with Peluso in the line up but the game was ultimately "issue" free by and large.
I was sort of agreeing that he was a non factor but not really in a bad way. I guess I was not explicit in that at all.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2018, 01:34 PM   #62
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
There was one shift where Peluso seemed to be out longer than he should have and was struggling to stay on his feet and get the puck out. That scared me a bit, but yeah he ultimately was a non factor.
Yeah I noticed that shift as well as he turned it over a few times and seemed unsure of where his line mates were and where he was supposed to be. To be fair to him he has had little time to practice and acclimate himself to his teammates so I don't know how much you could expect from him. I just didn't like the idea of bringing in a guy cold for a division rival that you kind of needed to win but if Hathaway was nicked up it is what it is. He did lay a few hits which is contributing but in a game they were trailing early and for almost the entire game he's probably not going to help as much as say a guy like Mangiapane who at least could maybe finish an opportunity or set someone up if given the chance.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2018, 01:38 PM   #63
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

For a team that attacks in waves (was it Crawford who said that?) I don't get why they wouldn't want a 4L that also attacks with speed. Mangiapane-Ryan-Czarnik (or Dube in Ryan's spot when healthy) would be fantastic and capable of more than the 4 minutes a night the 4L gets as a unit now.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 02:09 PM   #64
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Why didn't Peluso punch anyone in the face last night? I want an explanation.
Old 11-08-2018, 05:42 PM   #65
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Players better than Puluso: Mangiapane
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 02:35 PM   #66
Superfraggle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post
Players better than Puluso: Mangiapane
That's an awfully short list. I thought for sure there would be more than one.
Superfraggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 06:44 PM   #67
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfraggle View Post
That's an awfully short list. I thought for sure there would be more than one.

Mangiapane
Kylington
Stone
Prout
Quine
Foo
Lazar
Graovac
Hathaway
Gawdin
Rychel

Would all be upgrades on Peluso in all likelyhood. I'd toss Matthew Phillips out there but his numbers don't reflect the claim so far.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 02:20 AM   #68
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
For a team that attacks in waves (was it Crawford who said that?) I don't get why they wouldn't want a 4L that also attacks with speed. Mangiapane-Ryan-Czarnik (or Dube in Ryan's spot when healthy) would be fantastic and capable of more than the 4 minutes a night the 4L gets as a unit now.
As my Dad used to say when frustrated by a player who took forever to get to a loose puck or to take his man, Peluso is ponderously slow. He literally looks like he has to think about how to put one foot in front of the other before doing it. He does not belong on an NHL roster, and the Flames would be much better served with Mangiapane in that spot.

Having said that, I think Peluso was brought in for the Anaheim game as a bit of insurance against the Ducks trying any funny stuff on Gaudreau. Unfortunately, as is usually the case, it didn't work.
Macindoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 09:13 AM   #69
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macindoc View Post
As my Dad used to say when frustrated by a player who took forever to get to a loose puck or to take his man, Peluso is ponderously slow. He literally looks like he has to think about how to put one foot in front of the other before doing it. He does not belong on an NHL roster, and the Flames would be much better served with Mangiapane in that spot.

Having said that, I think Peluso was brought in for the Anaheim game as a bit of insurance against the Ducks trying any funny stuff on Gaudreau. Unfortunately, as is usually the case, it didn't work.
I'm one who agrees that stuff doesn't work. But a contrary argument would be that it worked all game until a point where Peluso was never going to see the ice again, either with the empty net or in OT.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 09:37 AM   #70
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I'm one who agrees that stuff doesn't work. But a contrary argument would be that it worked all game until a point where Peluso was never going to see the ice again, either with the empty net or in OT.
Which is why the only way it can even hypothetically work is if Gaudreau is actually playing with someone on the ice who will both "protect him" and is able to play with him. I don't necessarily subscribe to the idea of deterrence either but if someone does I think they can look to Ferland's 80-90 games spent there as a pretty ideal outcome. Bennett's the only other top 6 caliber guy I have seen really take numbers after plays he didn't like when playing with Gaudreau. It's a very specific combination you need - and trying to force it with a guy who struggles to keep up with the AHL game is never the answer.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote