Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2022, 05:09 PM   #4841
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
If it takes you until Christmas to finish Last of Us it’s going to take you four years to finish RDR2
I never did finish Fallout New Vegas. Come to think of it, I didn't finish Arkham City yet either. Took me two years to finish Arkham Knight. Unfortunately I just don't get time to game. It really sucks.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 10:01 PM   #4842
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
... It actually might be. I mean it's arguably the best conceived, best written game of all time. Gameplay-wise, of course not, but it really depends on how you weigh certain factors. If we're talking entertainment value you get one list, if you're talking video games as an art medium you get another. This list is neither of course, because it's trying to be both at the same time, which is why these things never work.
A top 10 game of all time should be great at both
Old 01-05-2022, 04:41 PM   #4843
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ubisoft+ is coming to Xbox this year, separate from GamePass, no date released as of yet. As part of the announcement it looks like Rainbow Six Extraction will be available on GamePass day one January 20th.

Pretty decent month for GamePass with Mass Effect Legendary Edition (Via EAPlay, Ultimate) being added tomorrow.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 05:26 PM   #4844
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 05:40 PM   #4845
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

DCS in VR is the best gaming experience I've ever had
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 08:27 PM   #4846
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

I've been playing this, and it is so unique, weird, and fun.

It's presented as a sort of "found footage" horror card game, but is also an escape room puzzle, and then transitions into multiple other stages of gameplay and story.

Just really different from anything else I've played before.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 08:44 PM   #4847
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
I've been playing this, and it is so unique, weird, and fun.

It's presented as a sort of "found footage" horror card game, but is also an escape room puzzle, and then transitions into multiple other stages of gameplay and story.

Just really different from anything else I've played before.
Huh, the game was priced "too low" to qualify for the EPIC store coupon during the recent sale. The sale is over but the coupon still works right now (to end tonight/tomorrow?) and so now the discount applies!

EDIT: looks like it'll work once and no replenished.

Last edited by chemgear; 01-06-2022 at 08:51 PM.
Old 01-08-2022, 06:12 PM   #4848
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

So here's a challenge for CP's game players...I'm looking for a game to play - or maybe two...

Game for me: playable only on PC (no game console), single player, preferably not stupid-level violent, but blowing up ####/monsters/aliens sometimes is OK. The last game I played was Doom I, II and III, which probably tells you something, but I've been looking for something "interesting" and it doesn't need to be a FPS, could be RPG or whatever. Interesting and challenging is more the point. (I kinda liked AC's post above about Inscryption but I don't really get what a "card deck" game is.)

Game for my wife - and possibly teamed with me: definitely must be non-violent. The last game she played was Myst....so more in the "search and figure out" line would be good. I saw a thing for "Journey" - looked pleasant but I do see there's some violence.

So...anything that fits either of those bills?

If not I'll just spend ALL my retirement time building crap in the garage, baking breads of all kinds and cooking.
taxbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 07:36 PM   #4849
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxbuster View Post
So here's a challenge for CP's game players...I'm looking for a game to play - or maybe two...

Game for me: playable only on PC (no game console), single player, preferably not stupid-level violent, but blowing up ####/monsters/aliens sometimes is OK. The last game I played was Doom I, II and III, which probably tells you something, but I've been looking for something "interesting" and it doesn't need to be a FPS, could be RPG or whatever. Interesting and challenging is more the point. (I kinda liked AC's post above about Inscryption but I don't really get what a "card deck" game is.)

Game for my wife - and possibly teamed with me: definitely must be non-violent. The last game she played was Myst....so more in the "search and figure out" line would be good. I saw a thing for "Journey" - looked pleasant but I do see there's some violence.

If not I'll just spend ALL my retirement time building crap in the garage, baking breads of all kinds and cooking.
I think you’d both like, Days Gone. I loved it.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 08:06 PM   #4850
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

For the game for your wife and you I’d recommend The Witness. Similar to Myst it’s a first person game set on an island loaded with puzzles. Brilliant and challenging and great to play together (even if one person is controlling, the other can help with the puzzles and it’s quite fun, my wife and I played together this way). The less you know about it the better, it has some of the most fantastic environmental puzzles and a great twist. Highly critically acclaimed and a few years old now so should be able to get it cheap-ish.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2022, 09:29 PM   #4851
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does Life is Strange have any significant violence in it?

As for you, see previous conversation: play Disco Elysium.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 11:33 PM   #4852
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Descenders is on Xbox Game Pass / Game Pass for PC, so I played with a couple friends. It’s a pretty fun game, and the courses are all procedurally generated so you’ll always get a variation in your courses, keeping things interesting and unpredictable. Sort of a Skate 3 for downhill biking. My friends were on PC and I used my Series X. Cross-play worked flawlessly.

That didn’t stop me from absolutely eating sh-t on this particular level:

Note: The graphics on my video look messed up because they are. Uninstalling and reinstalling the game on Series X fixed it.

Last edited by TorqueDog; 01-09-2022 at 03:36 PM.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2022, 12:40 PM   #4853
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm noting all those down!! Thanks for the tips - great place for crowdsourcing!
Old 01-09-2022, 02:08 PM   #4854
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If you liked the original Doom games the new games, 2016's Doom and the new Doom Eternal ratchet things up pretty nicely. They are super gory and violent but it's just killing demons not people and demons are bad so maybe you are ok with that?

Quote:

1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 02:15 PM   #4855
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_Flames_Fan View Post
If you liked the original Doom games the new games, 2016's Doom and the new Doom Eternal ratchet things up pretty nicely. They are super gory and violent but it's just killing demons not people and demons are bad so maybe you are ok with that?
I'm pretty OK with that.
Old 01-09-2022, 04:59 PM   #4856
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Wait what? No, there's no violence!

Journey is relatively short and a great game to get "non-gamers" started.

Then again I am biased, we've met a lot of the people that have made it and am friends with the composer (first person to be nominated for a Grammy in video games!)
Old 01-09-2022, 05:38 PM   #4857
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I'm pretty OK with that.
Nice, then definitely consider them. I'm on older gamer 50+ and the Doom reboot series has been some of the best gaming I've enjoyed in a long time.
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1_Flames_Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2022, 12:46 AM   #4858
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Doom 2016 had mediocre reviews and little fanfare when it came out...I barely even knew about it.

One of the best games of the last decade for me, eternal too
Old 01-10-2022, 09:02 AM   #4859
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Isn't "It Takes Two" a good game for them to both play? I haven't played it yet but it sounds like the ideal game for a couple?
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Raekwon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2022, 09:02 AM   #4860
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

My boy turned 16 yesterday.

We got him a PS5.

Yay me.

What are some good games for the PS5 (for both him and/or I).

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post: