Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2018, 10:45 AM   #1641
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I dont know how old your kids are, but I think knowing about this stuff is really important. Its out there, they should be informed at least.

Otherwise they'll turn 18 and run off with some Star-Cult trying to catch a ride on a comet to Betelgeuse by drinking actual 'Comet Kool-Aid.' As in the cleaning solvent.

If they asked me, I would ask them why they think there has to be something like that. Probably explain that there are reasonable scientific explanations for how everything in the universe works and they should search those out.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 11:35 AM   #1642
station
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Re: respect vs mocking, it seems pretty simple to be kind and respectful to individuals but criticize ideas and dogma. I’m not sure mocking is ever really productive.

There is a spectrum of religious behaviour from quietly standing on the sidewalk handing out flyers, to missionaries, and all the way to persecution and jihad. How we react to these things should be on a similar scale.

The ideas are the problem. The only logical error you need to make is believing the religion. From there, the more you believe in the truth of the scriptures, almost any behaviour is logical as long as it follows the words on the page. So we can recognize the human need for meaning and spirituality and respect that some people are getting this from religion, but we can also push back for the spread of enlightenment values as a better basis for modern society.
station is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 12:54 PM   #1643
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I think Kevan was talking about the people who go to different countries and guilt or try to indoctrinate people into following their religion.

I went to university with a guy who early after graduating from engineering, left to become a missionary in Indonesia. I get newsletters every quarter or so about what's going on. The last one actually struck me as harsh as it talked about somebody who recently died and they felt bad because he was a muslim who would probably be suffering in hell now because he rejected being saved and is going to face god as a sinner. This was a rare time when I wrote back and asked him if he had gone off the deep end because the comments were so mean-spirited, I thought. This is in complete constrast to another friend (also weird divergence from engineering) became a Catholic priest. Whenever I see him, I hear nothing about religion, takes offense to nothing, though he might cringe, he is the most easy-going person I know.

The thing here is, you're going to another country with their own cultures and habits and bothering people who are ordinarily going about their lives without the need for these distractions. And there is nothing really noble about this. Worst case is they're going to get people murdered because they changed religions, best case is what? Free English lessons, Jesus swag, and candy.

I am polite to everybody, mostly just out of general shyness and a desire to get out of an awkward situation. My exposure is probably once a year when the neighbourhood JW will spot us at the bus stop and say "hi, can I give you this" and give us a copy of some pamphlet that I politely accept, and then toss into recycling when I get the chance.
I don't think so. It appears he responded to my post about the religious people by my train station who I said shouldn't be mocked, by saying they deserved to be.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 04:08 PM   #1644
KevanGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, we're dealing with lots of relative terms here but, in my mind, if someone is standing around bothering people I'm not against them being mocked. I consider distribution of religious materials in busy public spaces bothersome.
KevanGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 04:17 PM   #1645
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevanGuy View Post
Well, we're dealing with lots of relative terms here but, in my mind, if someone is standing around bothering people I'm not against them being mocked. I consider distribution of religious materials in busy public spaces bothersome.
I dont even limit that to religious material. I dont want people handing out literature or flyers or anything to me in public.

Its why you see the constant mockery of the concept of handing out pamphlets in comedies where people get handed something and immediately drop it on the ground or in the next garbage can.

And people who put flyers on my windshield? I have a blindfold and a cigarette for you...

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 04:18 PM   #1646
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

If you hand me another flyer for a Poetry Slam, it won't be the poetry that gets slammed
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 04:28 PM   #1647
KevanGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

KevanGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KevanGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2018, 09:20 AM   #1648
dubc80
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

LOL. Gate agent shouldn't of done that but don't name your kid Abcde.

Sadly, this is probably the first of many situations like this for the poor little girl.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4711263/s..._campaign=2014
dubc80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 09:22 AM   #1649
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubc80 View Post

Sadly, this is probably the first of many situations like this for the poor little girl.

Yeah. Unfortunately the little girl will be the subject of the ridicule even though its entirely not her fault.

If you named your kid that you are bad and you should feel bad.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2018, 09:38 AM   #1650
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

There's one group of Christians who are really obnoxious and they frequent professional sporting events in the US. Their signs are typically yellow I think, with messages to repent and to go to church, etc. Usually have a loudspeaker as well. I've seen them in LA, Seattle, Phoenix and some other places.

I mock them.

I asked a teenage kid once on the loud speaker outside of Angel Stadium if its a sin to watch a baseball game and if I should be going to church instead at 7:00PM on a Tuesday. Blank stare.

EDIT: Haha I found them

Spoiler!

Last edited by CroFlames; 11-30-2018 at 09:40 AM.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 09:49 AM   #1651
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

She says that it's pronounced "Ab-city". Which....isn't any better. Also, the only way I can kind of see that working is if she's decided to change the English language and make the 'd' silent.

If she was going to go with that spelling, she should have gone with "ab-cede-e". Which still sounds stupid, but at least is closer.

Last edited by WhiteTiger; 11-30-2018 at 10:46 AM.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 10:03 AM   #1652
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I am on the border of thinking this parent is nuts or genius. The world is becoming more online and your digital presence is important, I would want to give me kids some pretty anonymous names that would get lost through all the searches. Names like “asfd” or “qwerty” would be good. People googling them wouldn’t know if it was a name or just random gibberish.

But it’s more likely she named her child this for attention. “How do you spell your name?” “A b c d e” “no, i dont want the alphabet just spell your name”. How many times do you go through that before you just change the spelling of your name to something phonetic, of course now her name looks and sounds like the name of gym.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 10:39 AM   #1653
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
There's one group of Christians who are really obnoxious and they frequent professional sporting events in the US. Their signs are typically yellow I think, with messages to repent and to go to church, etc. Usually have a loudspeaker as well. I've seen them in LA, Seattle, Phoenix and some other places.

I mock them.

I asked a teenage kid once on the loud speaker outside of Angel Stadium if its a sin to watch a baseball game and if I should be going to church instead at 7:00PM on a Tuesday. Blank stare.

EDIT: Haha I found them

Spoiler!
Just have them look up Ezekiel 23:20
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 11:45 AM   #1654
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calf View Post
Just have them look up Ezekiel 23:20
A classic.
Old 12-03-2018, 12:20 AM   #1655
ASP#26525
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I am a proud misanthrope, ***** humanity. We are monsters.

https://twitter.com/HuffPost/status/1069414799908503552

Trophy hunters put me into a murderous rage. Quite possibly the worst humanity has to offer. I wish only pain, death, misery and horror on these people. HOLY HELL I AM SO F*****KING MAD!!!!!!! This is the kinda crap that makes me want to off myself once and for all.
ASP#26525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 12:24 AM   #1656
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASP#26525 View Post

Trophy hunters put me into a murderous rage. Quite possibly the worst humanity has to offer. I wish only pain, death, misery and horror on these people. HOLY HELL I AM SO F*****KING MAD!!!!!!! This is the kinda crap that makes me want to off myself once and for all.
You ok? Please don’t joke about offing yourself.

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 02:58 AM   #1657
ASP#26525
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post
You ok? Please don’t joke about offing yourself.
It's not a joke.... I fully intend for my life to end that way, I just have no serious plans to do it yet. I didn't have the choice to bring myself on to this stupid planet of a**holes, so I'm sure as h*ll going to decide when and how I leave.

Don't worry, I have no children nor anyone meaningful in my life. My cats won't be around forever and my colleagues will be glad for the overtime.

P.S. I've never been okay, but I appreciate your concern. It's more than I get from people that actually know me.
ASP#26525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 08:14 AM   #1658
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 08:32 AM   #1659
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASP#26525 View Post

This is a bit of an overreaction, especially since nothing beyond the HuffPo article headline says it was a trophy hunter. Even the link they provided in the article to try and claim that the department of fish and wildlife confirmed it, doesn't. All that it does is confirm that it was a legal harvest. There was nothing that detailed the hunter's motives or if there was wastage of the meat, aside from hysterical assumptions.
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 08:52 AM   #1660
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llwhiteoutll View Post
This is a bit of an overreaction, especially since nothing beyond the HuffPo article headline says it was a trophy hunter. Even the link they provided in the article to try and claim that the department of fish and wildlife confirmed it, doesn't. All that it does is confirm that it was a legal harvest. There was nothing that detailed the hunter's motives or if there was wastage of the meat, aside from hysterical assumptions.

People don't eat wolves. They're one of the few species that generally have no requirement to use the meat. The only reason to shoot a wolf in a national park is for the skin or the mount. The other reason is predator control but that's not really applicable in parks.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote