Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2022, 04:41 PM   #4881
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

And here is a brief spoiler-filled review of Endwalker to go with my previous post:

Spoiler!
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 04:56 PM   #4882
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I don't think there's ever been a game that ranked so high on both my want to play and do not want to play lists as FFXIV.

Maybe if it's still around and I've retired.
Old 01-14-2022, 07:50 PM   #4883
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

chemgear is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2022, 08:53 PM   #4884
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

God of War was released on PC today. Having not played it before I have to say that I am pretty blown away by it so far. I've just finished the opening portion of the game and I am pretty excited to see how this unfolds.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cDnStealth For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2022, 09:44 PM   #4885
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDnStealth View Post
God of War was released on PC today. Having not played it before I have to say that I am pretty blown away by it so far. I've just finished the opening portion of the game and I am pretty excited to see how this unfolds.
Enjoy the ride!

Amazing game. Such a performance from everyone! Wicked combat gameplay and stunning graphics too.

Seeing Christopher Judge go from Stargate to this was wild. And I still can't believe Baldur is the same actor as the cowardly soldier in Saving Private Ryan.

The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2022, 10:39 PM   #4886
gallione11
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
And here is a brief spoiler-filled review of Endwalker to go with my previous post:

Spoiler!
I enjoyed it pretty heavily. I'm curious as to what area/time you're referring to when you had to mute the music. For me, it's the final zone music. It works for when you're progressing the MSQ, but leaving it as the music afterwards... just no. I have to mute it whenever I go to that zone now.

Spoiler!

I only really started playing around HW launch, but overall, a very satisfying end to a 10 year arc,
gallione11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 10:41 PM   #4887
gallione11
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Oh, as an addendum, while I generally enjoyed the dungeons, a lot of the boss fights are kinda meh. The 85 dungeon (minus the last boss) especially. 81 final boss though is great
Old 01-14-2022, 10:44 PM   #4888
gallione11
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
I don't think there's ever been a game that ranked so high on both my want to play and do not want to play lists as FFXIV.

Maybe if it's still around and I've retired.
Treat it like a single player game just to experience the story and the fights and you should get some great enjoyment out of it. It's fairly casual friendly, but please put a small effort into learning a basic rotation so you're not carried through everything.
The Following User Says Thank You to gallione11 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2022, 04:40 PM   #4889
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Anyone played The Ascent? I'm thinking of giving it a shot on my XSX.
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 06:57 PM   #4890
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_Flames_Fan View Post
Anyone played The Ascent? I'm thinking of giving it a shot on my XSX.

Yes. I played through it with two friends and we all thought it was a fun coop experience. I enjoyed the gameplay and the world design was very cool. Keep in mind that it's got some rough edges and we did encounter some bugs and glitches.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cDnStealth For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2022, 03:47 AM   #4891
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ascent is a cool game for sure. Probably the best graphics on any dungeon crawler ever. But sadly I had to give up and won't be playing it again. Too many gitches that caused it to crash regularly (maybe it's better on XSX).

The most frustrating part of the game is all the damn walking. It takes you 20 minutes to walk from point A to B, watch a short cut scene, than another 10 minutes to walk point B to C. Rinse and repeat for the entire game with a few cool battles in between. There is a taxi (fast teleport) feature, but it is almost useless as it only works in certain areas.

When I finally sludged my way to what I am assuming is near the end of the game, I was brought to an area where my guy isn't strong enough to beat the level and I am at a point of no return so I can't exit the mission back to the main game to level up. I'm stuck where I am in an endless loop of dying without being able to strengthen my guy. Haven't played the game since.

Still, it's worth it just for the graphics. It looked phenomal on my XB1. I'm sure it looks even better on XSX. One of the few games where simply the graphics alone make it worth diving into, even though the gamplay can be frustrating.

Last edited by Huntingwhale; 01-16-2022 at 06:55 AM.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 01:38 PM   #4892
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallione11 View Post
I enjoyed it pretty heavily. I'm curious as to what area/time you're referring to when you had to mute the music.
Spoiler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallione11 View Post
Oh, as an addendum, while I generally enjoyed the dungeons, a lot of the boss fights are kinda meh. The 85 dungeon (minus the last boss) especially. 81 final boss though is great
Spoiler!
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 03:43 PM   #4893
gallione11
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim
Spoiler!
Hrm, maybe I liked it? I don't recall that being an issue. I'll revisit when I go through on an alt. They did the same in ShB in Kholusia, but at least it was the good Story instance music (and much longer song).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim
Spoiler!
Dungeon itself was great, I agree. Just felt the mechanics for the first two bosses were uninspired. First boss is just some rote movement, and the second boss is essentially jump in a bubble every second Aether Syphon like that Worm boss for Hullbreaker Isle.

Spoiler!
Old 01-16-2022, 07:13 PM   #4894
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Wow God of War is a great game. The worst part is I keep playing it so it'll be over sooner.
Old 01-17-2022, 10:06 AM   #4895
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Ok, so, I'm pretty addicted to these soulsborne games right now. Over the last few months I've completed Demon's Souls remake, Bloodborne, and now Dark Souls 3. I really enjoyed these games much more than I ever thought I would. Then I installed Sekiro this weekend . . .

I'm not sure if I'm just not used to it yet or what, but I'm finding this game significantly harder than any of these other ones. I can't get my deflect timings right at all and the attack windows are unforgiving. It's beautiful and I love the design but man oh man, I'm not sure I can do this one. The first miniboss has destroyed me at least 20 times so far.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kybosh For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2022, 11:29 AM   #4896
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybosh View Post
Ok, so, I'm pretty addicted to these soulsborne games right now. Over the last few months I've completed Demon's Souls remake, Bloodborne, and now Dark Souls 3. I really enjoyed these games much more than I ever thought I would. Then I installed Sekiro this weekend . . .

I'm not sure if I'm just not used to it yet or what, but I'm finding this game significantly harder than any of these other ones. I can't get my deflect timings right at all and the attack windows are unforgiving. It's beautiful and I love the design but man oh man, I'm not sure I can do this one. The first miniboss has destroyed me at least 20 times so far.
This is timely.

https://kotaku.com/watch-a-guy-beat-...ded-1848372079

You know how you can’t even get past the first area of Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice without crying? Well, this guy can play the entire game, in under two hours, blindfolded.

As part of this year’s splendid Awesome Games Done Quick, which overall raised an incredible $3.4 million for charities, speedrunner Mitchriz attempted FromSoftware’s 2019 action-adventure without his eyes. Which is ridiculous.

The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2022, 11:35 AM   #4897
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Really liked Sekiro but it didn’t have the replayability of Bloodborne. It was a lot of fun at the time and I think I gave it a couple play throughs but after a while it got stale. No different weapons and I never quite loved the arm attachments. Tenchu Souls was a good idea though I’m glad they did it.

Now Bloodborne has quietly become my favourite game ever. If you didn’t get the Old Hunters DLC do that immediately and play it. Retry a play through with a different build or a new weapon. I’ll argue to death that the threaded cane is the greatest PvE weapon that exists, it’s so good it almost makes the game pointlessly easy.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2022, 11:41 AM   #4898
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
I never thouhgt I'd like these kind of games, but after pouring 100 hours into Jurassic World Evolution, well, here we are

This looks right up my alley
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sr. Mints For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2022, 11:41 AM   #4899
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
This is timely.

https://kotaku.com/watch-a-guy-beat-...ded-1848372079

You know how you can’t even get past the first area of Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice without crying? Well, this guy can play the entire game, in under two hours, blindfolded.

As part of this year’s splendid Awesome Games Done Quick, which overall raised an incredible $3.4 million for charities, speedrunner Mitchriz attempted FromSoftware’s 2019 action-adventure without his eyes. Which is ridiculous.

Now I feel even worse at my crappiness lol.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 12:02 PM   #4900
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybosh View Post
Now I feel even worse at my crappiness lol.
I am sure you are 100x better than I!

Haha, just amazing what some people can do.