Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2018, 04:11 PM   #1161
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

With respect I find the idea of hosting the Olympics without a new arena absurd.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Manhattanboy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2018, 04:19 PM   #1162
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

30M to do an exploratory bid, that results in no new infrastructure.

What the hell is involved with a bid that will cost 30M?

Last edited by Jbo; 02-15-2018 at 04:23 PM.
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 04:23 PM   #1163
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbo View Post

What the hell did they just spend 30M on?
I don't think $30M has been spent yet. It was initially $5M, then increased by a few $M at some point IIRC (or perhaps just the travel costs for dignitaries to visit Korea right now).

It's unclear if it's an additional $25-30M to what has already been spent, or if that $5+M is included in those numbers.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 04:29 PM   #1164
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbo View Post

What the hell is involved with a bid that will cost 30M?
We need to get Ken King in here, he knows his budget Powerpoint Presentations.

He can knock that price down by like $29.99M....

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 04:43 PM   #1165
stone hands
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
With respect I find the idea of hosting the Olympics without a new arena absurd.
Why? If the dome is good enough according to the ioc, why slap an extra 500M+ on top of what will already cost billions of dollars
stone hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 04:46 PM   #1166
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure where you got the $30M number from, but it does cost money to commission industry experts (many of them for different venues / purposes / etc.) for the required work to investigate hosting an Olympic Games. This can include structural / mechanical / electrical analysis of existing facilities, growth feasibility studies, economic forecasts, soil reports for greenfield site options, travel for facility benchmarking, etc.

Those professionals do cost money, and rightfully so. However, I'm sure most will not understand that and think that these services just come free, just because.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2018, 04:49 PM   #1167
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

The whole point of hosting an olympics is to get provincial, and more importantly Federal, money infused into infrastructure that the city needs.

Vancouver area got a sky train connection to the airport and an expansion of sea to sky highway, if we can't get money for a new arena and some ctrain expansion then count me out of a supporting a bid. The Saddledome is fine for a two week exhibition tournament but the opportunity is there for a new building that the city will need for the next 40 years or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Not sure where you got the $30M number from, but it does cost money to commission industry experts (many of them for different venues / purposes / etc.) for the required work to investigate hosting an Olympic Games. This can include structural / mechanical / electrical analysis of existing facilities, growth feasibility studies, economic forecasts, soil reports for greenfield site options, travel for facility benchmarking, etc.

Those professionals do cost money, and rightfully so. However, I'm sure most will not understand that and think that these services just come free, just because.
Don't forget flying a whole gaggle of people to "observe" the ongoing olympics.

Last edited by DiracSpike; 02-15-2018 at 04:51 PM.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 04:51 PM   #1168
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 04:54 PM   #1169
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stone hands View Post
Why? If the dome is good enough according to the ioc, why slap an extra 500M+ on top of what will already cost billions of dollars
The IOC is desperate for Calgary to host the 2026 games. They want the Olympics back in North America as do NBC and the other large stakeholders. Maybe even the NHL.

Why would we agree that the Dome is fine? Seems a golden opportunity to leverage a new arena, as well as other needed facilities and infrastructure, out of one of the most corrupt entities on the planet.
Old 02-15-2018, 04:58 PM   #1170
stone hands
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
The IOC is desperate for Calgary to host the 2026 games. They want the Olympics back in North America as do NBC and the other large stakeholders. Maybe even the NHL.

Why would we agree that the Dome is fine? Seems a golden opportunity to leverage a new arena, as well as other needed facilities and infrastructure, out of one of the most corrupt entities on the planet.
I think the dome is fine and I am a sth lol

Also, I'm not a fan of the provincial government either but I wouldn't call them one of the most corrupt entities in the planet
stone hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 04:59 PM   #1171
CorbeauNoir
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Why would we agree that the Dome is fine? Seems a golden opportunity to leverage a new arena out of one of the most corrupt entities out there.
I'm not following the logic. If they're desperate for Calgary to host then clearly the Dome IS fine. They've already been on record saying it, along with a number of other legacy 88 venues, are fine the way they are.

So where's this supposed leverage you speak of? Why be coerced into spending $500mil on a facility when you've just declared that spending $0 on the facility that exists as-is will be acceptable for all parties involved in the negotiation? The only entity interested in leveraging a new building are the Flames and they're irrelevant to the Olympics discussion.
CorbeauNoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 05:00 PM   #1172
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stone hands View Post
I think the dome is fine and I am a sth lol

Also, I'm not a fan of the provincial government either but I wouldn't call them one of the most corrupt entities in the planet
Haha I meant the IOC.

Am a STH as well. Since the Dome opened.
Old 02-15-2018, 05:02 PM   #1173
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would enjoy the Olympics regardless of getting any new venues, but I think it would seem like a missed opportunity if there were no new tangible legacies created because of it.

Whether it's a new arena, a new Olympic plaza, a rejuvenated Stampede Grounds...I do want something that stays beyond the party.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 05:05 PM   #1174
krazycanuck
Won the Worst Son Ever Award

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorbeauNoir View Post
I'm not following the logic. If they're desperate for Calgary to host then clearly the Dome IS fine. They've already been on record saying it, along with a number of other legacy 88 venues, are fine the way they are.
The saddledome is acceptable. It could be used as the hockey venue or as the skating/short track venue. You still need another arena (and another smaller arena for hockey and a curling rink).
krazycanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 05:08 PM   #1175
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorbeauNoir View Post

So where's this supposed leverage you speak of? Why be coerced into spending $500mil on a facility when you've just declared that spending $0 on the facility that exists as-is will be acceptable for all parties involved in the negotiation? The only entity interested in leveraging a new building are the Flames and they're irrelevant to the Olympics discussion.
Because if we land that Olympics the city gets Federal funding that we wouldn't otherwise get, which could close the current gap between the city and the Flames.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 05:08 PM   #1176
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Dome is acceptable? MAYBE today, but in another 8 years.....

I guess if the idea is the host the premier sports event in the world in a garbage stadium, then it is acceptable
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jason14h For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2018, 05:10 PM   #1177
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

I believe the arena argument is moot. You need two major capacity arenas, we have one.

We either A) Go ahead with an Olympic bid with a new NHL arena deal in place (likely with some federal funding) or B) Don't go ahead with an Olympic bid.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2018, 05:11 PM   #1178
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

It really is the perfect storm for Calgary. We hold all the negotiating cards vs. the IOC.

I believe NBC is committed as US host broadcaster through 2034, and you can bet they will put huge pressure on the IOC to get the 2026 games back to North America. They cannot be happy with three consecutive games (S. Korea, Tokyo, Beijing) in Asian time zones.
Old 02-15-2018, 05:13 PM   #1179
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
Because if we land that Olympics the city gets Federal funding that we wouldn't otherwise get, which could close the current gap between the city and the Flames.
My point is get the money from the IOC.
Old 02-15-2018, 05:25 PM   #1180
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Dome is not fine and certainly won't be any better in eight years...especially if they don't have a proper tenant taking care of it.

Gold medal hockey game in Edmonton would be a slap in the face, would rather not have the Olympics at all if there is no new arena