Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2018, 11:18 AM   #1
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:
Default Best Computer Games 2000-2010

So I was sitting there thinking of the console list for the 90's and I might revisit it, but frankly I've never been much into the console games. In fact, I have an Xbox 360 sitting by my TV that I turned on for the first time in about 5 years and found out that the DVD player was dead. So I might revisit console games, but I kind of want to finish the Computer games lists. So today I'm doing the decade of 2000 to 2010.

Now before I get into the list, this decade was really the height of computer gaming, there were so many really good games that its really tough to do a small list. I also know that because of the number of awesome games that I'm going to take some heat on this list, so please feel free to add your own. Also sadly while this represented the height of the computer game evolution, this would almost represent the end of the PC Computer gaming world.

But without further ado (great name for an album). Here's my list.

1) World of WarCraft - Really the 2000's have become about the MMO. People wanted to interact with each other and control their gaming destiny. There were many starts and stops, but WoW really represents the height of MMO's. While a lot of other MMO's have added neat features, WoW represents the bed rock that these games are built on

2) Black and White - This might be a personal pick, but I loved this game because it was one of the smartest games ever made and put you in the role as a god. Not only a God, but a God with a pet. Be an evil God and abuse your pet and he becomes a destructive monster. Be a good God and your pet becomes a guardian and savior. I remember playing the game and one scenario came up.

A girl asked god to save her sick father who was lost in the woods. I had the choice of reaching into the forest and picking up the father and returning him home, or I could drop food and firewood so he could survive until help arrived. Or leave him to his fates. Or the choice that I took, I reunited the girl with her father in the forest and they both died. I basically punished her for asking for help.

I loved that game.

3) Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic - Still remains as one of the most talked about games ever made. Not only because it created a new story in the Star Wars galaxy, not only because it was a turn based party based combat game. Because of the twist that allowed you to choose good or evil. Graphically it was a fantastic game. Play engine it was amazing, storyline it was awesome.

4) Grand Theft Auto series - A real evolution in a quest game. Not only could you follow the storyline, but this game was an immense sandbox where the NPC world around you would react to your actions. Rob people, beat hookers to death, steal cars that had distinct driving physics. It was such a departure from Grand Theft Auto 2 and 1. Visually beautiful and full. The world in IV was amazingly big with multiple cities to explore.

5) Battlefield Series - These games were seriously addictive, take historical context and then put yourself into the battle from a first person perspective. You could either play solo, or go multiplayer. There was something about being able to jump into a tank and lead the rush, or jump into a fighter or helicopter. Be a door gunner, fire artillary. It was an awesome experience.

6) The Sims 2 - I didn't think it would be my bag (baby), but I got hooked on this game, building a house, moving your sim through day to day lives. have a family. it was addicting and facinating. It also became a torture device for a sick mind. If a Sim is whiny brick him in and listen to him starve to death. Get him in the pool and remove the ladder and watch him drown.

7) Bioshock - A really badass game world with choices, protect the girl or kill her. The world itself was deep and immersive and looked awesome, and taking down Big Daddy's was a supreme challenge.

8) Sins of Solar Empire - This was MOO on steroids. Just an awesome game that held up because of the pace. But you could build an empire, design ships and fight massive set piece battles.

9) Mass Effect - I loved this game and still think its the best Mass Effect game. It sold me from the opening cut scene as your character walked through the bridge of the ship to get the briefing. It took the KOTOR battle engine and raised the stakes. The enemy was awesome, and it was just addicting.

10) Tropico 3 - I had trouble with this because there were a lot of outstanding games. But I loved this game. You basically are a third world dictator running your version of Cuba. Are you a kindly leader? Be too kind and your knocked over in a overthrow. Be too much of a dictator and the Rebels attack. Allow the Russians to build a naval base and the CIA destabilizes you. This game also had a lot of fun little features.

Next week, the downfall list of 2010-today

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 11:43 AM   #2
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Came to make sure kotor was on list. Good.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2018, 11:54 AM   #3
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

No Half Life 2? That is my pick.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OldDutch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2018, 02:04 PM   #4
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

The 2000s were all about Battlefield 1942 for me
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2018, 03:28 PM   #5
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Counterstrike came out in 2000, and easily one of the most played + influential games ever. Same with Half Life 2 and Portal. Put more hours into WoW then I will ever admit.
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 03:36 PM   #6
Nammer403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Counter Strike
Warcraft 3
DIAblo 2
Postal
Old 03-11-2018, 03:38 PM   #7
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

1. Diablo II
2. Minecraft
3. Civilization 4
4. The Sims
5. Portal
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 03:44 PM   #8
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Outside of WoW 2004-2009, I nominate Age of Mythology

and Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory

Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2018, 04:09 PM   #9
Magnum PEI
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I still play Sim City 4 and Civ 4. Theyre easy to mod and the new versions aren't as good.
Magnum PEI is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Magnum PEI For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2018, 04:56 PM   #10
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Enemy territory was hilarious and awesome. I still play it (legacy edition)

Last edited by calumniate; 03-11-2018 at 05:00 PM.
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calumniate For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2018, 05:06 PM   #11
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was just thinking about Max Payne. I enjoyed the film noir style.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2018, 05:37 PM   #12
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Diablo II: LoD for me.

Still has a significant followers of those on Battle.net, and other modded communities, not bad for a game that came out 17 years ago.

Here's a trailer for one of the more active mods, with a ton of new skills and items. Makes me want to play it again.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 07:14 PM   #13
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

I would put DotA on the list, even if it was a Warcraft III mod at launch.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 07:20 PM   #14
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

to name a few that haven't been mentioned yet...

Call of Duty 4
Halo 1-3
The Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion
Fallout 3/New Vegas
Left 4 Dead
Red Dead Redemption
Skate 2 & 3
Uncharted 2
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 10:36 PM   #15
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tom Clancy's Rogue Spear.
I spent so much time playing that online with my clan, "matching ".
I wish I could remember the name of the first gaming ladder website we used, but eventually we moved over to XGN because it had an anti-cheat program that everyone seemed to find a way around.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mass_nerder For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2018, 11:15 PM   #16
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
I wish I could remember the name of the first gaming ladder website we used, but eventually we moved over to XGN because it had an anti-cheat program that everyone seemed to find a way around.
Were you on GameSpy and mplayer or Zone
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 11:45 PM   #17
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m almost a little embarrassed for you not listing Half Life 2. There’s really no excuse. That’s one of the best games of any timeframe on any platform, period.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 06:42 AM   #18
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
Were you on GameSpy and mplayer or Zone
Gamespy!
Man, that takes me back.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 07:41 AM   #19
LChoy
First Line Centre

Exp:

I want to thank Cap for letting us know about that Abandonware website. Because of that, I was finally able to play "No One Lives Forever" after all these years

For honourable mention, I present "No One Lives Forever"
This is an enjoyable spy game set in the 60s, with a Austin Powers meets James Bond kind of feel. Decent story, spy gadgets, strong female lead, wide cast of characters, but the thing that really stands out in this game compared to others is the humour in it. Especially with the conversations you overhear

Intro:

LChoy
Old 03-12-2018, 07:48 AM   #20
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
But that came out in 99.

Some of the ones off the top of my head.

Day of Defeat
Half Life 2
Team Fortress 2
Battlefield 1942 & BF2
Left 4 Dead 1 & 2
Call of Duty 1 & 2
Crysis
Bioshock
Portal
Warcraft 3
WoW
Company of Heroes