Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2018, 06:29 AM   #21
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Half Life. Geez guys, I’m not even a PC gamer :P
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2018, 06:39 AM   #22
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I think Wolfenstein and Hunt for Red October were some of the first games to allow players to connect with old modems. It was really pretty cool at the time to play against a friend at the same time.

I have fond memories of Half Life, Rainbow Six.
688 attack sub was released in 1989. I remember the awe of selecting Hayes compatible modem, manually typing in the connect strings and dialling my friend for a game. That took epic planning, and I think only once did we not have a session ruined by someone picking up the phone.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 08:03 AM   #23
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krovikan View Post
Red Alert 2 and Starcraft makes this list but not the OG RTSs that started it all? Dune 2, Warcraft 1 & 2,and C&C belong on their before those two, I would also put Total Annihilation before Red Alert 2.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Warcraft I is a pretty mediocre game. Warcraft 2 makes sense, but sort of alongside Starcraft.

He didn't put Red Alert 2 on the list, he just put the video there for some reason. Honestly, Red Alert is a lot better than the original C&C and miles better than Tiberian Sun. But AOEII is probably the only RTS that belongs on the list.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 08:12 AM   #24
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I should also point out the lack of any worms games is a pretty massive oversight. Worms World Party pretty much made University and res tolerable. Shacking Rundle hall with a properly placed concrete donkey or Holy Hand Grenade(and an oversized stereo) was always good for a laugh.
Old 03-05-2018, 08:41 AM   #25
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Descent Freespace (1998) and Freespace 2 (1999) are musts for that list, I'd argue booting Wing Commander off for them. No space combat sim before brought the feeling of capital ships being so massive to life like it did. The first game and its story just getting more and more desperate, Freespace 2 and the cut off colonies of Earth. Nebula effects, freaking beam cannons, great wingman controls. Both games still hold up very well (as does X-COM).
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2018, 08:54 AM   #26
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I should also point out the lack of any worms games is a pretty massive oversight. Worms World Party pretty much made University and res tolerable. Shacking Rundle hall with a properly placed concrete donkey or Holy Hand Grenade(and an oversized stereo) was always good for a laugh.
Yeah, but again, they're not actually good games. For me it was Worms Armageddon, spent forever playing that game. But putting them anywhere near a top ten list would be like listing Candy Crush on a top games of the 2000s list.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 03-05-2018, 08:59 AM   #27
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Disagree! Worms was great. It took predecessors like Tank Wars and Scorched Earth and added life and personality to them, allowing diverse strategies to be employed. I Know they have gotten really stale, but at the time they were fantastic games.
Old 03-05-2018, 09:08 AM   #28
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nah. They were fun games, but no real depth to them. It's like a silly comedy, fun to turn your brain off and take in for a few hours. Compare that to the epics that were some of the CRPGs and adventure games in the 1990s (Grim Fandango and The Longest Journey come to mind) and you're talking about not just different genres but different leagues.

I mentioned Planescape:Torment on the last page - an enhanced edition was released last year and is available on Steam. Everyone who hasn't played that game should do themselves the favour. They'll never be able to make major release games of that sort again. No capacity to spend that much time on writing, and gamers expect not to have to read text anymore, which is too bad given what used to be possible.

Last edited by CorsiHockeyLeague; 03-05-2018 at 09:25 AM.
Old 03-05-2018, 09:14 AM   #29
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Are there any new or upcoming medieval resource-gathering RTS games?

Man I really miss Age of Empires and Empires Dawn of the Modern World.
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 09:15 AM   #30
Swayze11
something else haha

Exp:

No Ultima Online? That game was the foundation to all MMORPGs

Swayze11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Swayze11 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2018, 09:38 AM   #31
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
688 attack sub was released in 1989. I remember the awe of selecting Hayes compatible modem, manually typing in the connect strings and dialling my friend for a game. That took epic planning, and I think only once did we not have a session ruined by someone picking up the phone.
Ah, I just looked at the screen shots, I was mistaken about Hunt for Red October. It must have been 688 Attack Sub that I was thinking of.

I remember the excitement of picking up our new USRobotics 28.8k modem. Specifically chose the external one so we could move it around to differnent locations easier.

Although, this was probably in the 80s, one day I was feeling too sick to go to school, so my dad brought something that was similar to this home for me to occupy my time. There were a few BBSs operating in Kelowna at the time, so he gave me some numbers and I tried them out. They weren't much but message boards at the time with a few basic games. Tradewars and Pyroto Mountain were what I remember. Anyway, 300 baud with a thermal printer was a fun way to spend my sick day.

Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 10:00 AM   #32
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

My PC gaming fell almost exclusively in the strategy genre in the 90s, but I did branch out a bit.

Warcraft II (the first one was pretty ####ty)
Age of Empires II
Sim City 3000
Masters of Orion II (thinking back, this game was pretty mediocre, but I sunk hundreds of hours into it.)
Star Wars Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II
Star Wars Tie Fighter
Baldur's Gate
Diablo I and II (Jesus, I still haven't played Diablo III, now that I think of it)
Starcraft
The Curse of Monkey Island
Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit (I had a Microsoft Force Feedback steering wheel I bought with money from my first job, and this game was like nothing else at the time.)
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 11:11 AM   #33
OmegaV4
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

For me, gotta be GoldenEye 64. Pretty much revolutionized FPS(No disrespect to Doom or Wolfenstein 3D)

I do realize it's not a PC game, but if I MUST be restricted to PC, then my hat goes to Unreal Tournament 99.
OmegaV4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 11:12 AM   #34
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Goldeneye will likely make it on the console list when I do that one next weekend.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2018, 11:25 AM   #35
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Good thread! I gotta think about the order but..

Diablo
Diablo 2
Ultima Online
Ultima 6
StarCraft
Quake 3
Halflife (with CS and Arena mods)
Worms 2
Duke Nukem 3D
DOOM

Bonus adds: NHL 94 and GTA !!!

Last edited by TSXCman; 03-05-2018 at 01:40 PM.
TSXCman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 11:41 AM   #36
Nammer403
Franchise Player

Exp:

My list
Wolfenstein 3D - Spear of Destiny - used to love this game as a kid
StarCraft
WarCraft 2
Simtown
Unreal Tournament

Scorched Earth
Old 03-05-2018, 11:44 AM   #37
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Descent Freespace (1998) and Freespace 2 (1999) are musts for that list, I'd argue booting Wing Commander off for them. No space combat sim before brought the feeling of capital ships being so massive to life like it did. The first game and its story just getting more and more desperate, Freespace 2 and the cut off colonies of Earth. Nebula effects, freaking beam cannons, great wingman controls. Both games still hold up very well (as does X-COM).
I've been waiting two decades for the licensing mess that is to get resolved so Freespace 3 gets made. Will probably be waiting a little while longer.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2018, 01:14 PM   #38
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

From the other side of the pond:

I spent upwards of 16 hours a day playing this over the summer of 95.
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lazypucker For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2018, 03:11 PM   #39
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krovikan View Post
Red Alert 2 and Starcraft makes this list but not the OG RTSs that started it all? Dune 2, Warcraft 1 & 2,and C&C belong on their before those two, I would also put Total Annihilation before Red Alert 2.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Loved TA. Never got into multiplayer so I have no idea how it stacks up a competitive game, but it had massive unit caps, gorgeous battles, infinite production queues and an almost rate-based economy.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SebC For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2018, 08:29 AM   #40
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Doom original release date: December 10, 1993

Coincidence?
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote