Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-28-2017, 11:49 AM   #21
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Now we just need a thread relating to how terrible Dougie is and the trifecta of stupid over reactionary threads will be complete.
He has been terrible but he isn't terrible. He's just a slow starter. Sorry or would have started one for you.
Old 10-28-2017, 11:50 AM   #22
sticktrick
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'm really surprised of the overreaction regarding Treliving. I am smitten that he is our GM, he has done a brilliant job so far. Nobody is perfect of course, but Brad's tenure so far has been positive in my eyes. His moves and signings for the majority are very favorable and he is a dynamic and active GM. Every GM has regrettable moves, no one person can predict how some 'sure things' are to pan out. I think Brad's supposed blunders with player movement and signings are minimal. Hindsight is 20/20.
The Following User Says Thank You to sticktrick For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2017, 11:51 AM   #23
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
Ok, start off with the top 5 things that you think Treliving has done as GM.

If you're so passionate about him doing a fantastic job, this should be easy.
Nope. It's been spelled out to you dozens of times but all you do is use it as an opening for another one of your overbaked, onesided, and vindictive attacks.

But here's what I am going to do:

PLEASE, EVERYONE... STOP POSTING IN THIS RIDICULOUS THREAD SO THAT IT CAN FALL OFF THE FIRST PAGE AND GO AWAY
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2017, 11:51 AM   #24
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

How about we save ourselves a bunch of time and just bump last year's threads and re-read those?

Seems way easier than complaining all over again.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2017, 11:52 AM   #25
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

The Flames are currently shooting 7.4%, tied with the ####ing Arizona Coyotes for third-worst in the entire league. This is a team that can and will do better when given time.

Old 10-28-2017, 11:52 AM   #26
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
I disagree with everything and the approach.

In my experience making knee jerk decisions out of fear and a small sample size of results is foolishness.

Good companies/organizations looks at the operational process first prior to hitting the panic button.

So yeah, I think your post is terrible.
In other words you have nothing to say.

I'm still waiting for a list of the top 5 good things Treliving has done.

I'll even give you the first one.

1. Mike Smith
Old 10-28-2017, 11:53 AM   #27
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

You know the fan scrutinizing is overbearing when the Grossman signing is repeatedly brought up for a guy who was signed near league minimum, played only 3 games and hasn't affected this team at all outside of the 13 minutes a game he played.

Again, for 3 games.
Old 10-28-2017, 11:54 AM   #28
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Nope. It's been spelled out to you dozens of times but all you do is use it as an opening for another one of your overbaked, onesided, and vindictive attacks.

But here's what I am going to do:

PLEASE, EVERYONE... STOP POSTING IN THIS RIDICULOUS THREAD SO THAT IT CAN FALL OFF THE FIRST PAGE AND GO AWAY

If you're going to attack the thread, make a positive contribution to your beliefs.

You called him a fantastic GM.

Tell me what he has done that has been fantastic. It's because you cant. All his moves have been bad to average except for Smith so far.
Old 10-28-2017, 11:54 AM   #29
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:

1. Mike Smith
1. Mike Smith
2. Dougie Hamilton
3. Jaromir Jagr/Kris Versteeg
4. Firing Hartley
5. Travis Hamonic
Bonus: Hiring Gulutzan
Bonus 2: The 2016 deadline (Russell, Hudler, and Jones trades)

Old 10-28-2017, 11:55 AM   #30
Super-Rye
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Nobody is campaigning to fire him. It would be nice if some could criticize his moves instead of putting all the blame on Gulutzan.

All I am saying is he's been an average GM and made some bad moves. He should start feeling the heat instead of being looked at as a saviour to the organization.
All GM's make bad moves. It's a fact of life. No one here has a crystal ball and no one can predict the future.

He's done a lot of good. More good than bad, and he's helped assemble a team that shows real promise if they can ever put it together. Probably the most promising Flames team I've watched in a long time, even if they aren't playing like it right now. But hey, that's hockey. Teams are up and teams are down. What matters is keeping it close while they find their game and peaking at the right time.

The pieces are there. Up to the people in the locker room to put it together.
Old 10-28-2017, 11:59 AM   #31
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
1. Mike Smith
2. Dougie Hamilton
3. Jaromir Jagr/Kris Versteeg
4. Firing Hartley
5. Travis Hamonic
Bonus: Hiring Gulutzan
Bonus 2: The 2016 deadline (Russell, Hudler, and Jones trades)
Jagr and Versteeg aren't positives. Jagr is a hell of a story but it speaks to his failure getting proper RWers on this team.

Versteeg is a useless 5 on 5 player who is small and doesn't contribute much other than the PP gifts he keeps getting.

Hamonic we really don't know yet. Giving up 3 great draft picks might not have been worth it.

Hiring Gulutzan at best was an average move.
Old 10-28-2017, 12:00 PM   #32
tsquared1967
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
You know the fan scrutinizing is overbearing when the Grossman signing is repeatedly brought up for a guy who was signed near league minimum, played only 3 games and hasn't affected this team at all outside of the 13 minutes a game he played.

Again, for 3 games.
I wished Tanner Glass only played 3 games so the Flames could slide Jankowski on the team and into the lineup.
Old 10-28-2017, 12:02 PM   #33
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Jagr and Versteeg aren't positives. Jagr is a hell of a story it speaks to his failure getting proper RWers on this team.

Versteeg is a useless 5 on 5 player who is small and doesn't contribute much other than the PP gifts he keeps getting.

Hamonic we really don't know yet. Giving up 3 great draft picks might not have been worth it.

Personally I've thought Hamonic and Giordano have been the Flames' two best defensive defenders this year so I'm calling that a positive.

The reason that I made Versteeg/Jagr into one is that Versteeg was useful last year and Jagr this year. Versteeg was a very useful weapon in multiple situations last year (and it's early this year) while Jagr has been a great presence on that powerplay this year -- no wonder it's been so terrible ever since he went on the shelf.

Old 10-28-2017, 12:02 PM   #34
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

1. Mike Smith
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
Old 10-28-2017, 12:05 PM   #35
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

1. Mike Smith
2. Dougie Hamilton
3. Building strong d corps prospect wise (Valimaki, Fox, Kylington, Andersson)
4. Building great top 5 dmen
5. Locking up Monahan and Gaudreau to great deals (I mean look at the Oilers situation)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to savardandjokinen For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2017, 12:06 PM   #36
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
In other words, you are posting for the sake of posting. You haven't made one useful thought in this thread. If you actually believed what you were saying along with Enoch you guys would discuss instead of attacking.
Old 10-28-2017, 12:09 PM   #37
CampbellsTransgressions
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Treliving has done a fantastic job trading away skilled players for busts and signing slugs to play on the third/fourth lines.

Not to mention Sutter-esque trading away of draft picks. Truly a great GM that hasn't already hurt the future of this team.
Old 10-28-2017, 12:11 PM   #38
Moneyhands23
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only way BT should be on the hot seat is if the team doesn't make the playoffs and we stick with the coaching staff.
Old 10-28-2017, 12:11 PM   #39
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampbellsTransgressions View Post
Treliving has done a fantastic job trading away skilled players for busts and signing slugs to play on the third/fourth lines.

Not to mention Sutter-esque trading away of draft picks. Truly a great GM that hasn't already hurt the future of this team.
Give me 2 examples of how he's trading away skilled players for slugs
Old 10-28-2017, 12:12 PM   #40
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Jagr and Versteeg aren't positives. Jagr is a hell of a story but it speaks to his failure getting proper RWers on this team.

Outside of Sharp, Williams, Hemsky (ew) and maybe Radulov, there wasn't anything else in the free agent market this season. Williams would've been a great add that I think most people would agree with but the player would have to be interested in the first place.

The Versteeg is useless at 5v5 dialogue is interesting especially since 21 of his 37 points last season was scored 5v5. Traditionally he's at least had something like 75% of his point production at 5v5 so while in terms of possession he's a weaker player, he's not useless. Struggling like the rest of our bottom 6 this season? Absolutely.

Hamonic is a trade that you hope fills some subtle needs outside of just being a good player like bringing Brodie's game back (which is trending positively). Something evaluate outside Hamonic's play.
Closed Thread