Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-23-2018, 09:46 AM   #5121
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
How much was the team purchased for by current ownership? How much is it currently worth?
Pro sports are a vanity arrangement. They've never been a huge money making arrangement. I can understand not wanting to hemorrhage money but can we at least admit that they've made significant gains just by owning the team while the league's net value has increased? It certainly wasn't worth 600 million before but that's the sale price now.
This is all greed. Our owners are all old oil men. That industry seems doomed with current government. They saw Katz pivot into real estate up north and want to join the club. Once cgy next and the extra land opportunities were off the table they stopped engaging meaningfully. That's pretty damn transparent.
It's not about hockey or civic pride for them, it's about squeezing the most money possible out if this damn city (even while it's on its knees)
So many over the top posts about ownership.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to DiracSpike For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2018, 10:40 AM   #5122
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

I think there was some talk in this thread about why Murray Edwards moved to London. Just came across this gossip:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/22/s...enue-tour.html

Ms. [K.D.] Lang and her girlfriend, whose name she is keeping to herself, live full time in Calgary. “Neither of us wants to get married,” she said, “because it’s a legal entanglement that has no bearing on the relationship.” The Daily Mail and Page Six, among others, have reported that she was dating Heather Edwards, the estranged wife of the Canadian billionaire Murray Edwards. “Did they?” Ms. Lang said non-commitedly. “Well, good then.”

http://albertapolitics.ca/2016/05/of...nothing-taxes/

the buzz in Calgary is that – Hallelujah! – Mr. Edwards has a new love interest, and she wants to live in London.

Last edited by troutman; 03-23-2018 at 10:44 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2018, 02:35 PM   #5123
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
How much was the team purchased for by current ownership? How much is it currently worth?
Pro sports are a vanity arrangement. They've never been a huge money making arrangement. I can understand not wanting to hemorrhage money but can we at least admit that they've made significant gains just by owning the team while the league's net value has increased? It certainly wasn't worth 600 million before but that's the sale price now.
This is all greed. Our owners are all old oil men. That industry seems doomed with current government. They saw Katz pivot into real estate up north and want to join the club. Once cgy next and the extra land opportunities were off the table they stopped engaging meaningfully. That's pretty damn transparent.
It's not about hockey or civic pride for them, it's about squeezing the most money possible out if this damn city (even while it's on its knees)
Uh huh. Sure.
Old 03-23-2018, 05:35 PM   #5124
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
So many over the top posts about ownership.
I do agree with this. It's not necessarily unfair to characterize it as greed, but I think a better term would be simple self-interest.

I don't fault them for any of that - I'm more offended by the incompetence and tone deafness they've demonstrated.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2018, 06:13 PM   #5125
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm most offended that after years of hinting at something, and years of scheming and planning, and waiting to see what the guys up north did to one-up them, and supposedly partnering with developers who wanted to build office towers, this is what we were given as a first look:

They put it off for years, what was another month to get to their renders that were at lease 'fine.'? I mean I still didn't like what they eventually had out there, but I could at least acknowledge that they were renderings that looked like somebody gave a #### and understood that this was a billion dollar project at stake.
Old 03-23-2018, 06:35 PM   #5126
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

That looks like it was done in MineCraft.

Wait, was it actually done in MineCraft?
Old 03-23-2018, 08:20 PM   #5127
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

the funny thing about the renderings is that I think muta or somebody else on this site close to the scene was saying they never released the "good" renderings...?????

Why the hell not? I find that hilarious. Isn't that how you get people excited about your vision??
Old 03-23-2018, 08:26 PM   #5128
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

We were also supposed to see renderings of an actual building when the Flames released their "last offer," but we never did.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Old 03-23-2018, 08:31 PM   #5129
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

We didn’t even get an infographic from the team with that one.
Old 03-23-2018, 09:33 PM   #5130
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

Welcome to arena season Flames fans
Old 03-24-2018, 10:35 AM   #5131
RM14
First Line Centre

Exp:

It's looking like Calgary will be getting the Grey Cup in 2019 at McMahon. It would be a great time now to kick-off plans to upgrade of the concourse beginning next off-season.
Old 03-24-2018, 10:59 AM   #5132
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I don't think they can really upgrade the concourse at McMahon at this point, the job would almost be like building a new stadium.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Old 03-24-2018, 11:53 AM   #5133
Schultzie
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
The idea of King and Nenshi sitting there at a table, shirt sleeves rolled up, beads of sweat pouring down their faces. Ashtrays full of cigarette butts, dried coffee rings dotting pages and pages of financial, architectural and environmental records. The room stagnant from 12 intense hours of blow by blow negotiation. A lone fan in the corner of the room casts a rotating shadow upon the two men. With a furry, they explode and nearly come to blows, all their hard fought for negotiation out the window. A deal within a hairs-breath of completion scuttled by two monstrous egos. A good deal torn asunder. If only it weren't for those monstrous egos!

It reads like bad movie.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Schultzie For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2018, 01:33 PM   #5134
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
I'm most offended that after years of hinting at something, and years of scheming and planning, and waiting to see what the guys up north did to one-up them, and supposedly partnering with developers who wanted to build office towers, this is what we were given as a first look:

They put it off for years, what was another month to get to their renders that were at lease 'fine.'? I mean I still didn't like what they eventually had out there, but I could at least acknowledge that they were renderings that looked like somebody gave a #### and understood that this was a billion dollar project at stake.

I saw a leaked version of the rendering.

Old 03-24-2018, 01:39 PM   #5135
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

I always thought it looked like two different sizes of George Foreman Grills placed beside each other.
Old 03-24-2018, 03:50 PM   #5136
krazycanuck
Won the Worst Son Ever Award

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I don't think they can really upgrade the concourse at McMahon at this point, the job would almost be like building a new stadium.
There are a few interesting concepts through this the report here on what could be done:

http://www.calgary.ca/_layouts/cocis...edirect=1&sf=1
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to krazycanuck For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2018, 09:44 PM   #5137
Eric Vail
First Line Centre

Exp:

It seems like the Flames ownership is as good at negotiating an arena deal as they are at winning hockey games.

That's what you get from a perennial loser like Murray Edwards.

Maybe they'll get lucky and put the pieces together for a surprise like in 2004, but that is looking unlikely now for the team and the arena.
The Following User Says Thank You to Eric Vail For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2018, 07:44 AM   #5138
Reneeee
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Anybody in the know have an idea when the gen pop will hear about engagement for rivers district. Cmlc website is very vague and says April - July

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old 03-27-2018, 08:14 AM   #5139
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Vail View Post

That's what you get from a perennial loser like Murray Edwards.

I would guess he is probably doing a bit better than you.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rotten42 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2018, 08:23 AM   #5140
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Edwards is a perennial loser then tattoo a big "L" on my forehead as I want in that club.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread