Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-23-2018, 02:38 PM   #4381
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah.. imagine being someone like Tkachuk or Bennett glancing down the bench trying to make eye contact with Gulutzan so he can send you on, when you hear for the umpteenth time:

"Alright Brow! Get out there!"

I imagine his proverbial "bank account" with most of the team is in the red at this point for this one repeat occurrence alone. Even if it's an organizational mandate to throw Brouwer in, he should have the stones to tell them to F off and Brouwer's sitting whether they like it or not. But Glen is a "yes man" coach to Treliving through and through, which is probably why Brad was giving him every chance possible to fix it up.
Old 03-23-2018, 02:39 PM   #4382
nightfx
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Hamonic and Stone have been capable of 20-30 pts from the blueline in the past with a little powerplay time, this year they wont reach 20 combined. Is running 4F1D for one of the powerplays really that much better giving these guys some time on the PP? Stone looked good the few times he was on the powerplay but I wonder how much better he could be if he practiced there for an extended amount of time.
nightfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 02:40 PM   #4383
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wes Gilbertson

Verified account

@WesGilbertson
3m3 minutes ago
More
Breaking: #Flames source confirms that C Sean Monahan has been shut down for remainder of season. Tight-lipped about specifics, but will need surgery to repair one of his two injuries. Full story ...

http://calgarysun.com/sports/hockey/...l-need-surgery
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 03:02 PM   #4384
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

I can't believe he wasn't fired the very next morning. But yet he stayed on and continued to torpedo the season with many, many other baffling moves after that.

Oh hey, I heard on 960 this afternoon that Bennett skated with Gaudreau today, because Monahan is in such rough shape, he's been getting two areas injected before games. Lol. So he knows that his #1 centre is hurtin bad, and just simply tries nothing else over this pathetic final 20 games, until the season is officially lost, and now he's willing to try something new.

I simply can't believe how many people defended this completely useless "head coach". The whole damn season it was so obvious how clueless he is. What a pathetic waste of a year. I'm willing to bet that he never gets another HC gig in the NHL.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 04:19 PM   #4385
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2018, 05:25 PM   #4386
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
This argument won't go away but doesn't make much sense.

The Flames from 5 years ago had a GM, assistant and a coaching staff.

Now they have a head of hockey operations, a GM, and three assistants and a coaching staff.

If they were insistent on hiring cheap coaches why did they double their hockey exec contingent?
Don't confuse quantity for quality. Having more cooks in the kitchen doesn't mean you get a better meal.

When is the last time the Flames hired someone who was considered elite at their job? When is the last time someone who was hired by the Flames went on to have success elsewhere (and wasn't named Darryl) in the league? Or the last time a Flames assistant was poached away to be a head coach or GM?

Does Ken King really seem like an elite executive to you? Besides being a bumbling shield for ownership, what exactly has he done to move this franchise forward? Im not convinced a guy like Burke even be needed if King was an elite President. The only reason we seemed to hire him was to shield the GM from King's meddling.

Ownership may be hiring more people in the front office, but nothing tells me they are using their money wisely.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2018, 08:06 PM   #4387
mikeecho
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskal View Post
Yeah.. imagine being someone like Tkachuk or Bennett glancing down the bench trying to make eye contact with Gulutzan so he can send you on, when you hear for the umpteenth time:

"Alright Brow! Get out there!"

I imagine his proverbial "bank account" with most of the team is in the red at this point for this one repeat occurrence alone. Even if it's an organizational mandate to throw Brouwer in, he should have the stones to tell them to F off and Brouwer's sitting whether they like it or not. But Glen is a "yes man" coach to Treliving through and through, which is probably why Brad was giving him every chance possible to fix it up.
This is bang on. Players love their teammates like brothers and will typically stand up for them in any situation, but they're not stupid. They all know certain guys dont have it and it's gotta kill the competitive guys when the coach throws Brouwer, Stajan, etc... On the ice when they're losing late in the third. They all know they have no chance when that happens.
mikeecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 09:59 PM   #4388
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

Now they have a head of hockey operations, a GM, and three assistants and a coaching staff.

If they were insistent on hiring cheap coaches why did they double their hockey exec contingent?
Agreed - the most logical reasoning is that the flames hired Gully because they thought he was right for the job - a forward thinker, a good hockey mind, one that believed in a possession based system and a player's coach. That he came cheap was a bonus.

It will be interesting to see who the flames go with next. It seems pretty obvious that Gully failed - the question is why? Was he too soft? Did he lack presence, thus unable to ensure players came prepared or bought into the system? Was the system bad? Was the forward thinking overthinking it?

My bet is still on Sutter - due to his love of the city, links with the organisation, his proven "presence," his proven ability to foster an identity, and his proven system and ability to get buy-in, and his view on the player-coach relationship. Sutter also plays a brand of hockey of which Burke is a fan. And the team he coached to stanley cups we're built in the same way that Tre wants to build this team (defense out, strong up the middle). And we already know Sutter is a big fan of Monahan and Backlund. It just makes too much sense not to happen IMO.
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 10:14 PM   #4389
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Here's a quote from Sutter from an interview in January. Note that he (like Gully) also believes in poesssion - but note two key difference:

1) Sutter believes you have to check aggressively

2) Sutter believes you have to transition quickly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Sutter View Post
Well, the essence [of the game] is still very much the same: you look at puck possession and zone time. The analytics, everything still comes back to that: possession and zone time. You can break it down, I bet you Tampa Bay and five or six teams that are either leading their division or close to leading, they’re right there.

The change in the game that I can tell right on TV is that it’s gotten a lot faster even from last year.

The defending part, I said this during the playoffs a few years ago, the biggest change in the game when I went back to L.A. was that the teams that check the best were the best teams, not the teams that defended the best. Now it’s taking the next step where it’s checking plus it’s speed. The checking has allowed the next part of the game to come into light where there’s the transition, the defence getting up into the play, and those things.
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 03:00 AM   #4390
Pointman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post
Here's a quote from Sutter from an interview in January. Note that he (like Gully) also believes in poesssion - but note two key difference:

Thanks for the link. It also shows, that Sutter isn't some rah-rah dinosaur coach - he still understands modern game pretty well, arguably better than Gulutzan does.
Pointman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pointman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2018, 09:37 AM   #4391
rooster
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfx View Post
Hamonic and Stone have been capable of 20-30 pts from the blueline in the past with a little powerplay time, this year they wont reach 20 combined. Is running 4F1D for one of the powerplays really that much better giving these guys some time on the PP? Stone looked good the few times he was on the powerplay but I wonder how much better he could be if he practiced there for an extended amount of time.
I just saw an interview with Hamonic a few days ago in which he said that he won't be scoring any goals!! What the F%$#!! No wonder he is a one dimensional player, he is telling himself he is. In 1988 that was ok but not good enough today.
rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 09:40 AM   #4392
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post

I watched about 3 minutes of the game yesterday. Flames got a PP, didn't do much with it, but at one point, the Sharks cleared it down to Rittich. Rittich passed it to one of the D, who took it up to the Flames blueline, and then freakin passed it backward, even though there were two Flames up at the attack blueline. Screw it. TV off. Way better things to do on a Saturday afternoon than watch garbage Gulutzan hockey.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2018, 10:32 AM   #4393
Rejean31
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Darryl Sutter is exactly the kind of coach this team needs. He's not a huge x and o's guy, but that is what assistants are for. But he would definitely give the team an identity and most importantly would make players accountable. Hell, I could even see Darryl turning Brouwers game around.
Old 03-25-2018, 10:37 AM   #4394
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rejean31 View Post
I think Darryl Sutter is exactly the kind of coach this team needs. He's not a huge x and o's guy, but that is what assistants are for. But he would definitely give the team an identity and most importantly would make players accountable. Hell, I could even see Darryl turning Brouwers game around.
Whoa! Hey! The man isnt a miracle worker!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 10:45 AM   #4395
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Sounds just like our bloated health care systems. Too many head honchos in the office and not enough workers in the fields who can make a big difference.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 10:49 AM   #4396
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointman View Post
Thanks for the link. It also shows, that Sutter isn't some rah-rah dinosaur coach - he still understands modern game pretty well, arguably better than Gulutzan does.
No, it makes him sound like a genius compared to GG.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 12:18 PM   #4397
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

I like Sutter but it's interesting to note that the Kings and more than a few of their players are having a much better season now that Sutter is gone.
442scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 12:21 PM   #4398
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442scotty View Post
I like Sutter but it's interesting to note that the Kings and more than a few of their players are having a much better season now that Sutter is gone.
He passed his shelf life.

And while you're not wrong, he did deliver two Cups.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2018, 12:51 PM   #4399
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I sure wish the Flames were coming down from 2 recent Cups and the coach was fired due to shelf life.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2018, 01:51 PM   #4400
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That's because even though Sutter has a shelf life he gave them an identity. The Kings were not doing much before they hired Sutter but now a lot if those guys understand what it takes to win.

This is exactly the type of coach the Flames need one who pushes them to their limits so they know what it takes to get there.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote