Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2018, 11:37 PM   #81
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

Right? It's like when Trudeau said he admires communist China because their system allows them to do whatever they see fit. Bam. Nazi.
2Stonedbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 12:46 AM   #82
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

“Right?”

2Stonebird

Just because you’re American, doesn’t make what I said untrue. Also, apparently you’re either lazy or illiterate because read what I said.

I didn’t say the Americans are Nazis. Until you learn how to read, I don’t know how else to say this.

It’s a spectrum.

Always has been.

You’re closer to nazism than before. Call it populism. Call it whatever you want. The funny part about pipulism is that it hasn’t been properly termed what it is. Movement on the political spectrum towards the right or the left. But it’s capturing the ideological values of age old. Already practiced doctrine.

Nothing is new. This isn’t new. Just because I say it’s closer on the spectrum to some pretty scary ideals, doesn’t make it untrue because of what those previous ideals were in that we learned from textbooks how horrific they were.

You’re country is moving in the direction of nazism. Of fascism. If you don’t think so, like I said, brush up on Germany 1930-1939z

Whether you like it or not is irrelevant. Vote differently. Or not. But know the rest of the world, is not on board with where your country is going.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 01:06 AM   #83
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
I get that it's not like Xi Jinpang and China are a true unflawed democracy...but is it really concerning that Trump doesn't believe in term caps? Other than it being Trump.

China's not the best example to live up to for democracy rules, but United Kingdom, Switzerland, New Zealand...and oh yeah, Canada, have how many term limits?

It's concerning to Americans, because they've sort of pigeonholed themselves into certain "freedoms." Ironically, not being able to vote for who they want to lead them (after 8 years) is somehow a point of freedom to them.
Sorry but yeah. If you believe American idealism, or whatever the #### Americans have been touting to the entire planet as right and wrong for the last 200 years (like since inception)... about liberal democracy which, by the way, for a guy like CliffFletcher to thanks the post questioning mine but for the last two years banging the drum about that ideal being his dogma...

Yeah it really is a big deal. Trump is a big deal. People should be up in arms.

Trump is slowly destroying the United States. I know you also are American. I’m kind of stunned I’m the only one calling it out here. You’re empire is in danger. You’re empire which was the symbol of liberal democracy is in danger. It’s passed off by intellectuals as “populism” (what EXACTLY, does this even mean?).

But rest assured the US is crumbling, and sliding closer to Nazism. Whether you choose to take it seriously or not.
Old 03-22-2018, 02:07 AM   #84
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks View Post
Seriously, when has Trump supported the nazis?

Politics has become so bloody ridiculous these days that people have lost track of the atrocities that have happened in the past. Nothing in your current North American life is in the same ballpark as the things that happened in 1900's Europe.
Charlottesville.

" There are good guys on both sides"......
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 02:15 AM   #85
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
"Gas the Jews" as a joke is totally defensible, did you see the video? It was hilarious.
You have a weird sense of humour.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 06:41 AM   #86
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
You’re country is moving in the direction of nazism. Of fascism. If you don’t think so, like I said, brush up on Germany 1930-1939z

Whether you like it or not is irrelevant. Vote differently. Or not. But know the rest of the world, is not on board with where your country is going.
Populism has flared up across the Western world. Heard of Brexit? The National Front in France? Trump may be the most prominent example of resurgent populism, but the same anxieties and anger that brought him to power are shaking the foundations of the establishment in democracies around the world.

The rise of European populism and the collapse of the center-left
Quote:
The rise of populism, mostly right-leaning, is the most important European political development of the 21st century. It has eaten into support for traditional center-right parties while dealing a knock-out blow to the center-left. The result is the end of the center-left/center-right duopoly that has dominated European politics since the end of World War II. Party systems throughout Europe have fragmented, and most have shifted toward the right. And the rise of populism has opened the door to increased Russian influence throughout Europe...

- Brookings
Populism Is a Problem. Elitist Technocrats Aren’t the Solution.
Quote:
The problem isn’t too much democracy — it’s too little.

Democracy today seems to be in constant crisis. Democratic backsliding has occurred in countries from Venezuela to Poland, and autocratic leaders, including Hungary’s Viktor Orban, Turkey’s Recep Tayyip Erdogan, and Russia’s Vladimir Putin, proudly proclaim that the era of liberal democracy is over. Perhaps most worrying, even in the West where it has long been taken for granted, liberal democracy is under attack from populists, and, according to some scholars, it is no longer highly valued by many citizens.

In seeking to explain these troubling trends, most observers focus on the challenges currently facing democracy. They argue that globalization and rising automation have made life more insecure for the working and middle classes, privileged highly educated city dwellers over the less educated who live in rural areas, and made capitalism more of a zero-sum game. Alongside economic challenges, changing social norms and rising immigration — the percentage of foreign-born citizens is at an all-time high in many European countries and at levels last seen during the early 20th century in the United States — have left many citizens feeling uncomfortable and out of touch in their own neighborhoods.

But analyses that focus on only these challenges cannot explain the woes of an entire political system. Just as a healthy body fights off myriad viruses, so too do healthy political systems identify and respond to the challenges they face. Liberal democracies’ problems over the past years haven’t come merely or even primarily from the challenges they have faced but rather from a diminished capacity to recognize and respond to them. It is not just rapid economic and social changes that matter but the inability or unwillingness of national political actors and institutions to respond to those changes that has caused rising support for populists.

The real cause of Western democracies’ current travails is that many core political institutions have decayed dramatically over the past years — or ceded responsibility to unelected supranational bodies — hindering their ability to translate the demands of a broad range of their citizens into concrete action at home. Western democracies have, in short, become dramatically less democratic...

- Foreign Policy

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 03-22-2018 at 07:06 AM.
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 06:52 AM   #87
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

You assume too much MrCoffee.
If you can take a brainless statement from Trump and apply your nazi spectrum slide rule to his comments, surely I can do the same to the empty suit currently residing in my PMs office.

The fact this young man faces jail time for what was obviously a joke, should be concerning to all of us as it represents a erosion of rights, and is unfairly applied in a society that allows ISIS flags to be proudly marched down their own streets.

Should Prince Harry have to face jail time for his ill conceived nazi garb from a Halloween party a few years back?
Old 03-22-2018, 07:31 AM   #88
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Stonedbirds View Post
You assume too much MrCoffee.
If you can take a brainless statement from Trump and apply your nazi spectrum slide rule to his comments, surely I can do the same to the empty suit currently residing in my PMs office.

The fact this young man faces jail time for what was obviously a joke, should be concerning to all of us as it represents a erosion of rights, and is unfairly applied in a society that allows ISIS flags to be proudly marched down their own streets.

Should Prince Harry have to face jail time for his ill conceived nazi garb from a Halloween party a few years back?
We agree that the point of the thread.. My posts were in response to the sarcastic dismissals to my comments about the fact that America has slid closer to what nobody wants it to be (except Trump).

It’s not my “slide rule”, it’s just reality and I don’t view the world so simplistic as “well he’s not murdering people so all’s good”. What a ridiculous world view that is.. It’s not the fact that Trump isn’t goose stepping around, it’s the fact that there are similarities to what his administration is doing and what Nazis did in their early years. Anyway I guess off topic.
Old 03-22-2018, 07:33 AM   #89
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Populism has flared up across the Western world. Heard of Brexit? The National Front in France? Trump may be the most prominent example of resurgent populism, but the same anxieties and anger that brought him to power are shaking the foundations of the establishment in democracies around the world.

The rise of European populism and the collapse of the center-left

Populism Is a Problem. Elitist Technocrats Aren’t the Solution.
Yes I know. For every article you post about the rise of populism, I could post 3 about the United States crumbling international reputation.
Old 03-22-2018, 07:46 AM   #90
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
You have a weird sense of humour.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 08:08 AM   #91
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

Imagine if you posted the Berenstain Bears go to camp book.

You could go to jail!
Old 03-22-2018, 08:26 AM   #92
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
Trump is slowly destroying the United States. I know you also are American. I’m kind of stunned I’m the only one calling it out here. You’re empire is in danger.
First, I'm not American. WTF?

I'm a big critic of Trump. The reason I don't believe what he said specifically about term limits is a big deal (especially because of all the other stuff he has said which was a big deal) is because I'm Canadian and grew up in a country that didn't have term limits. Lol.

There's a certain irony of a Canadian telling an "American" that his empire is crumbling because of term limits while he lives in a country without them though.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 08:31 AM   #93
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Lol. Individual libertarianism and fascism are not the same thing. I don't support Trump because he's a dangerously underqualified loud mouth. However the nice towards now individual liberties is a move away from fascism. Fascism is embodied by government control, both economic and social.

You can call Trump incompetent or a racist, but he's not a fascist. His system pushes for less government control and more individual liberties. If you think the party to "liberty" is less individual freedom and more group rights, that's one thing. However, it's very offensive to the victims of actual fascists to just throw around terms like Nazi and fascist.

Is Trump setting up gas chambers for illegal migrants? Or are you saying that those things didn't exist? Trump's actual plan is to offer is to offer citizenship to 1.8 million existing migrants and use a wall to stem further illegal migration, and yes the migration is illegal. And no, Trump would not be the first one to build such a wall.

They've already been built all throughout Europe and the middle East, or basically every where else in the world dealing with large influxes of illegal migrants.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2018, 08:32 AM   #94
MrDJZak
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Izzy Nobre (local YouTuber) has a take on all of this.

Spoiler for language.

Spoiler!
MrDJZak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 08:36 AM   #95
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
First, I'm not American. WTF?

I'm a big critic of Trump. The reason I don't believe what he said specifically about term limits is a big deal (especially because of all the other stuff he has said which was a big deal) is because I'm Canadian and grew up in a country that didn't have term limits. Lol.

There's a certain irony of a Canadian telling an "American" that his empire is crumbling because of term limits while he lives in a country without them though.
Trump made a joke in China, where he said "maybe we'll give that a try" in reference to China abolishing them. In what way is that part of his official policy?

In reality Trump is the most anti China president since the cold war. He made an off the cuff remark (which he does a lot because he has zero experience in political office). He has not taken a single move towards abolishing term limits. In fact, despite the pleasantries, he's confronting a dictatorship that just did (China). It's actually something that Trudeau should do too, as China has ravished our real estate market.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 08:44 AM   #96
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Yeah, I think that Trump pretty much kicked China in the balls this morning.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 08:52 AM   #97
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to taco.vidal For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2018, 09:20 AM   #98
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Party Elephant View Post
If you guys have 40 minutes to spare this video is very relevant to this topic, especially for those who are bringing up Mel Brooks and The Producers. And if you don't have 40 minutes then maybe break it up into segments? It's a really well researched and articulated discussion on a very complex topic.
Thanks for posting that. It's a pretty good run at addressing how we portray Nazis in pop culture. But she missed some pretty important cultural factors at work. Even though many of her examples came from British entertainment, she seems unaware that the British have a long tradition of ridiculing their enemies.

Spoiler!

She jumped the tracks when she questioned the value of satire because some people don't get that it's satire, and said it's problematic that some morons think Stephen Colbert's character is sincere, or might come away from Inglorious Bastards charmed by Christoph Waltz's character. Then she careens into the ditch when she goes into appropriation and who should and shouldn't be allowed to satirize Nazis.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 03-22-2018 at 09:24 AM.
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 12:12 PM   #99
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Everyone who has ever created, watched or enjoyed a "Hitler Reacts To..." satirical video needs to go to prison immediately.

For good measure:

NSFW!
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2018, 01:21 AM   #100
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote