Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2018, 07:59 PM   #61
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

I loved the Punisher... Probably my favorite. Excited for JJ.
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 09:14 PM   #62
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

2 Episodes in,
Spoiler!
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 01:10 PM   #63
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
My condolences on watching the Defenders. It was horrible IMO, worse than Iron Fist.

I definitely liked JJ but have soured on these a little.
Defenders was good until they were all brought together. I also agree that Iron Fist is simply terrible but Jj, Punisher and Dardevil are very good. Thus I could tolerate Defenders.
csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 06:20 AM   #64
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Trish has been super annoying this season. I liked her in S1 but I don't care at all for her or her story line in S2.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 08:36 AM   #65
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

JJ season 1 has been my favourite of all Marvel Netflix shows, but it was a "one and done" type of show and I'm not even going to give season 2 a shot, especially after hearing mediocre reviews. The core of JJ was her relationship with Killgrave and without him, most of the best parts of the show are gone too.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Matata For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2018, 08:51 AM   #66
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

If JJ remains totally negative, sarcastic, and unwilling to help anyone unless forced to, I am no longer interested in this character.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 09:25 AM   #67
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, this season was totally watchable and Krysten Ritter does actually do this character pretty damned well. But the plot was pretty cliche, there were a number of random switches of motivation that didn't make a ton of sense, I still have no idea what her love interest's name is, and while Carrie-Ann Moss is a good actor, the whole Hogarth plot line was just sort of there, disconnected from the main story. Basically, the "this isn't anywhere near as good without David Tennant" thing is made really clear when
Spoiler!

It's still better than Iron Fist, Luke Cage or Defenders (and apparently I didn't hate Defenders as nearly much as some of you did). The problem is that while first season was seriously good, this one is more... network tv drama-ish quality.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 10:50 AM   #68
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
If JJ remains totally negative, sarcastic, and unwilling to help anyone unless forced to, I am no longer interested in this character.
I'm 3 episodes in she has not changed. If I had to predict I'd say JJ decides she MUST help one person specifically because reasons and #### everyone else.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 11:41 AM   #69
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I'm on episode 12. It's been running while I work so it hasn't had my undivided attention. However, this season is not good. It's huge step back for reasons I was worried about. Season 1 was carried by a new hero and a great villain.

- The villain is really weak.
- Jessica's attitude is getting old.
- Minimal "super" stuff happens. I know the Netflix Marvel stuff is supposed to more down-to-earth but this is super low budget effects.
- Sister's side story had some potential but was wasted.

They need to make fewer episodes each season. 10 tops.

CorsiHockeyLeague's spoiler was spot on. It's the high point of the season. Maybe I get to edit this post after the final episode.

Edit: It doesn't get better. The ending was so unsatisfying.

Last edited by KTrain; 03-12-2018 at 01:29 PM.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 04:56 PM   #70
-TC-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I watched one episode and had a very hard time engaging.. based on what I'm reading here, I won't get my hopes up.

-TC- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 08:06 PM   #71
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Awww! This is really unfortunate to read!
I have been looking forward to this for some time.

Well, hopefully Sneaky Pete, Handmaid and Westworld season 2 will not disappoint.

I'm sure SP will come through if nothing else...

Sigh
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 10:48 AM   #72
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

The show was watchable, but then 'the reveal' in episode 8 (I think) and the look back at Trish and Jessica's college years and everything slammed into a brick wall. Killed all momentum they had going.

Brutal pacing, zero character growth from season one, no cohesion, weak villain, a lot of 'who cares?' moments, and by the end I was asking myself, 'What was the point of all this?'

C-
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 12:31 PM   #73
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

thanks for the heads up. watched e01 last night and was unimpressed, so I'll bow out now.

Star Wars Rebels has been awesome though. I'm watching s03 and s04 more or less back to back right now. So good.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 09:47 AM   #74
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watched 1st episode season 2 last night.

I am sad.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 12:57 PM   #75
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I watched the entire first season simply because I love looking at Kristen Ritter, anytime I watch a TV series I always regret it. I'm just not a fan of the medium, the horrible cliffhangers and the storylines that go nowhere. Half of the time TV shows don't know if they'll be picked up for another season or get past a pilot so they scramble to finish writing, hiring different writers, altering scripts as they go. It's rarely a well thought out and cohesive piece of writing or art, same goes for Lost, Walking Dead or any other TV series.

That Defenders series was horrible, watched that with the volume off while I was working on other things.
Engine09 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 04:10 PM   #76
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine09 View Post
I watched the entire first season simply because I love looking at Kristen Ritter, anytime I watch a TV series I always regret it. I'm just not a fan of the medium, the horrible cliffhangers and the storylines that go nowhere. Half of the time TV shows don't know if they'll be picked up for another season or get past a pilot so they scramble to finish writing, hiring different writers, altering scripts as they go. It's rarely a well thought out and cohesive piece of writing or art, same goes for Lost, Walking Dead or any other TV series.

That Defenders series was horrible, watched that with the volume off while I was working on other things.
Man if you are writing off TV shows in their entirety you are missing out on some incredible entertainment. Or are you just referring to a specific genre?

The Wire and Mad Men were more enjoyable than just about any movie I’ve ever watched.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2018, 12:48 PM   #77
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm aware that barely anyone agrees with me, people love their TV stories. Might have even ranted about this before, I just really have a problem with the pacing and style of writing on TV, it's just a never ending cycle of subplots and new characters introduced and then abandoned. So unfocused and still set in that framework that's built to sell commercial time even thought most of the best stuff is on HBO and Netflix. It's artistically compromised in my opinion.

Another thing, who has time to watch an entire season, some shows approach 20 hours. Or if you decide to tackle a series with over 5 seasons, get the hell out of here. And for all the talk about how the quality of TV has improved and talent has been drawn to the networks, the visual effects are still subpar.

I'll probably still watch season 2 of Jessica Jones though, haha!
Engine09 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 12:55 PM   #78
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

From it's inception as a comic, the Walking Dead was always meant to be an endless story that followed Rick's journey into a constantly evolving, post-zombie apocalypse world. It's a meandering endless mess by design.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 03:34 PM   #79
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
I'm aware that barely anyone agrees with me, people love their TV stories. Might have even ranted about this before, I just really have a problem with the pacing and style of writing on TV, it's just a never ending cycle of subplots and new characters introduced and then abandoned. So unfocused and still set in that framework that's built to sell commercial time even thought most of the best stuff is on HBO and Netflix. It's artistically compromised in my opinion.
You should look into good TV that was able to tell their complete story on their own terms (not cancelled early).

Shows like Band of Brothers, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, etc.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 12:35 AM   #80
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just finished JJ S02

Defenitly sad in the beginning, but got much bette after the flashback episode. I’m still hoping for another season. Really on board with Carrie-Anne Moss’s character.
csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote