Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2020, 09:45 AM   #161
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
That didn’t even happen today

Today, Chicago passed 3 times from behind the goal line out front for one timers
Then Dube fed a guy in alone, unexpected by Rittich

Then Talbot read possession really poorly

I’m out now because I don’t think a lot of people with opinions watched the game and/or understand hockey and how goals are scored
You are wrong. The fact that Ward talked after the game about how they didn't work hard enough to retrieve pucks in corners after dump ins proves it. This guy reminds me of Brian Sutter, his whole system is dump and chase and work hard to retrieve pucks in board battles. That worked great in the big player era but it is outdated and certainly won't work for a small skilled team. I hope they sneak into the playoffs just because they can use the playoff experience but this coach is terrible for this team. There is a reason our skilled forwards always look miserable and don't produce, they can't with the system being employed.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2020, 09:48 AM   #162
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well so much for all that work to get the goal differential back to normal. I was going to watch the game this morning but accidentally saw the score. Guess it's for the best.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 09:52 AM   #163
motorcrosser
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Maybe.. And I hate to type it, there's something in the water.
motorcrosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 09:55 AM   #164
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Bang on re: dump in/chip & chase. Peters system (to start with anyway) was carry it in. Its what this team is built to do. Zone entries with speed. Teams figured that out. Well, Colorado did. And there was no adjustment other than to dump it in.
Toonage is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2020, 09:57 AM   #165
Burning Beard
First Line Centre

Exp:

This team feels so stale. After the playoffs at the start of the year there was some mold growing on the edges and it feels like the lack of any moves has let that mold grow into the core.
Burning Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 10:23 AM   #166
OldSam
Franchise Player

Exp:

I also recall the year Darryl Sutter came in and we missed the playoffs. He said it wouldn't happen again and it didn't until he became GM and tried to do too much.

I am not saying get Darryl, although he would certainly not tolerate this inconsistency...ever. I just wanted to point out what an experienced coach can do.
OldSam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OldSam For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2020, 10:27 AM   #167
Hey Connor, It's Mess
First Line Centre

Exp:

It blows my mind that NHL level coaches can look at this roster and think dump+chase and grinding out wins is what these players are suited for.
Hey Connor, It's Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 10:43 AM   #168
The Familia
First Line Centre

Exp:

I went to GLOW fest on Stephen Ave last night and it sucked (there were no lights!). It was free.
19289 people went to the Saddledome last night and watched another #### kicking on home ice. They paid anywhere from $30-500 for tickets.....I’m glad I chose the option that I did.
William Jennings Trophy - 2006
The Familia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 10:43 AM   #169
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Tre is gonna bring in a new coach this summer when his retooling of the core is complete. Lots of fans should be ready for that, I don’t see the same core leadership group and a brand new coach next season.

It sucks because I wished Tre hired a top flight coach 4 years ago to see what this core group could do with a legit coach. But I don’t see that happening anymore.
kukkudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 10:51 AM   #170
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffalufagus View Post
Rittich was not good. Sorry bud. As I mentioned in the pregame thread, he has been mediocre or worse for over 6 weeks now. His numbers are not good.

I get it though. You think he is great.

Edit: just read the rest of your points and thought I’d just reply to all here.

- goals 1, 3 and 4 were all savable. Good goalies make big saves.
- you are going to have to make a whole lot of excuses if you are going to justify your argument that Rittich isn’t part of the problem right now.
<.900 sv% in 8 of last 13 games and has benn yanked 3 times.

I think the D has been awful this year. But Rittich isn’t playing consistent hockey either.

Your ‘savable’ goals all had something in common. Chicago guys one on one with the goalie with ample time and space to pick their spot.

Rittich should not even have to face the shot that Dube inexplicably passed in to the slot. That play should not happen.

I have little use for sv% as the be all end all argument for evaluating goaltending. It is one of the most over relied upon numbers which people use which only counts shots and goals, and has absolutely no consideration at all for how much time a shooter has and where they place their shots.

sv% is firstly a team D stat, which can then subsequently be torpedoed by bad goaltending (see Hiller, Jonas)

If you can’t see the difference between Anaheim’s 44 shots, many which were in to Talbot’s logo, and Chicago’s 28, well.. I can’t help you

And to the people complaining about the Flames trying to grind out a win dump and chase style, well, they let in 8 goals. Why aren’t you complaining about the defensive lapses? It is curious to see through the lens of other people
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 10:55 AM   #171
MolsonInBothHands
First Line Centre

Exp:

Honeymoon with Ward is over I am afraid. His post game last night was infuriating. So sick of clichés.
This team isn't good enough for rentals. Trades need to be involving revamping some of what we thought were core.
A real head coach now would be helpful to assess between now and the draft who that might be.
Frustrating to watch this season be wasted.
Old 02-16-2020, 11:06 AM   #172
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Nm
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 11:08 AM   #173
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Duplicate
Old 02-16-2020, 11:09 AM   #174
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
You are wrong. The fact that Ward talked after the game about how they didn't work hard enough to retrieve pucks in corners after dump ins proves it. This guy reminds me of Brian Sutter, his whole system is dump and chase and work hard to retrieve pucks in board battles. That worked great in the big player era but it is outdated and certainly won't work for a small skilled team. I hope they sneak into the playoffs just because they can use the playoff experience but this coach is terrible for this team. There is a reason our skilled forwards always look miserable and don't produce, they can't with the system being employed.

You want to talk about wrong? Re watch what Ward said and try to find the things you are claiming he said. Because they are not there

I listened to Ward’s 5 minutes on the Flames site. It’s here, I forget how to embed non YouTube video links

https://www.nhl.com/flames/video/pos...0220/c-5259833

He makes a general remark at one point about battles and compete ‘when you throw a puck in the corner, who is going to come up with it?’ but he was not talking about this with respect to their offence.

Some highlights
- he pulled Rittich for a momentum change, they left Rittich hung out to dry on a few of those
- mentions they didn’t win as many battles down low and also that the did not break up as many cycles as usual
- mentions at least twice about sloppy slot coverage and that there needs to be more there
- he felt they didn’t create a lot early as they didn’t have the puck enough and found their legs a bit in the third but at that point you are chasing the game from pretty far away

Seems Ward watched the same game I did
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2020, 11:12 AM   #175
Reign of Fire
First Line Centre

Exp:

The game was bad, but I am getting tired of the chicken little crowd. Don't come cheering here after a win, if you are going scream "sky is falling" after every loss. Also, we are missing our best defenceman.

This was a bad call on the coach for starting Rittich after shutout performance by Talbot. You have to ride the hot hand. They fought to tie it twice, but those two quick goals by Chicago sank 'em.

12 13 14 2 34
Reign of Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 11:20 AM   #176
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign of Fire View Post
The game was bad, but I am getting tired of the chicken little crowd. Don't come cheering here after a win, if you are going scream "sky is falling" after every loss. Also, we are missing our best defenceman.

This was a bad call on the coach for starting Rittich after shutout performance by Talbot. You have to ride the hot hand. They fought to tie it twice, but those two quick goals by Chicago sank 'em.
LOL they got totally beat down by another non-playoff team after getting handled by the Kings earlier in the week. If that isn't worthy of sky falling takes I don't know what is. I'm sorry but some fans simply aren't going to accept weak efforts from this team as just a routine game in an 82 game season. Flames have by far the worst goal differential of any team in a playoff spot, in fact there are several non-playoff teams with positive goal differentials. There is something wrong with a team that gets blown out as much as this one and it's not something that should be smothered by the positive crowd.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2020, 11:21 AM   #177
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign of Fire View Post

Well, there were two sets of quick goals.

The ones on Rittich that made it 4-2 were 1:04 apart, after which the Flames got it back to 4-3

The second set of 2 quick goals on Talbot were 27 seconds apart and made it 6-3

The Flames scored 4 goals. Which set of 2 sank ‘em?
Old 02-16-2020, 11:27 AM   #178
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSam View Post
I also recall the year Darryl Sutter came in and we missed the playoffs. He said it wouldn't happen again and it didn't until he became GM and tried to do too much.

I am not saying get Darryl, although he would certainly not tolerate this inconsistency...ever. I just wanted to point out what an experienced coach can do.

If we lost 2 to 1 Darryl Sutter wanted to know why we scored enough to win but still lost the game. You never found a lazy player on his teams and he didn't allow excuses. But like Hartley, if players lost a hard fought game he was the first to admit it and was honest about it. Are these current Flames the hardest working teams?, no. Are our top layers better than the other teams top players, no! The current coach is not experienced enough to know how to motivate individuals or get them completely focused on a single goal.

Here is a good Darryl Sutter read, talks his ability to motivate and some about his time with the Flames.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...of-his-players
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 11:32 AM   #179
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
You want to talk about wrong? Re watch what Ward said and try to find the things you are claiming he said. Because they are not there

I listened to Ward’s 5 minutes on the Flames site. It’s here, I forget how to embed non YouTube video links

https://www.nhl.com/flames/video/pos...0220/c-5259833

He makes a general remark at one point about battles and compete ‘when you throw a puck in the corner, who is going to come up with it?’ but he was not talking about this with respect to their offence.

Some highlights
- he pulled Rittich for a momentum change, they left Rittich hung out to dry on a few of those
- mentions they didn’t win as many battles down low and also that the did not break up as many cycles as usual
- mentions at least twice about sloppy slot coverage and that there needs to be more there
- he felt they didn’t create a lot early as they didn’t have the puck enough and found their legs a bit in the third but at that point you are chasing the game from pretty far away

Seems Ward watched the same game I did
Jesus, stop arguing it, everybody else saw it but you apparently. He wasn't talking about chasing pucks in corners referring to the offence? Then what did he mean by that? They tried it the WHOLE game. As to your earlier post about the defence if you are playing chip and chase and lose the board battles giving up possession constantly you are going to get owned. If you play a possession game that isn't happening. It is obvious by his comments Ward did not watch the same game you did, neither did anybody else for that matter. They played dump and chase but you didn't see that. The goaltending was mediocre but you didn't see that either. Not sure what you were watching but it was not the Flames/Hawks game.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 11:33 AM   #180
keeper34
Backup Goalie

Exp:

They forgot to wear their third Jersey
keeper34 is offline   Reply With Quote