Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2020, 05:52 PM   #1
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default [OOT] Final day of regular season games

In a stark turn of events, only 1 game was played today where the flames took down the Oilers 4-1 to absolutely no ones surprise.

This is truly the season of "what could have been". Would the Blues continue their western conference dominance? Would the Avs finally break out in the playoffs? Would Edmonton continue to suck?

We may never know

(Except Edmonton, they will always suck)
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PaperBagger'14 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2020, 05:55 PM   #2
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess this is what happens when we wish for the Flames to never lose again this season.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CalgaryFan1988 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2020, 07:10 PM   #3
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Damn monkey paw.
Old 04-05-2020, 02:41 PM   #4
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Every sim has the Canucks going on a big run to end the season and lock up a play-off spot. Just makes this break hurt even more!

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 09:00 AM   #5
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Wow. The Canucks haven't played a playoff game since 2015. That makes my heart smile.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2020, 09:23 AM   #6
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Wow. The Canucks haven't played a playoff game since 2015. That makes my heart smile.

What have we played? Like 9? One win? Yeah, I think I'd take their future over our present to be honest. At least they added some mega talent durning their downtime and seem poised to break out soon. Calgary is already tapped out in the middle tier.
Fire of the Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 09:38 AM   #7
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire of the Phoenix View Post
What have we played? Like 9? One win? Yeah, I think I'd take their future over our present to be honest. At least they added some mega talent durning their downtime and seem poised to break out soon. Calgary is already tapped out in the middle tier.
I am no mathematician but Nine is infinity more then Zero.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 09:49 AM   #8
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
I am no mathematician but Nine is infinity more then Zero.
So? 1-8 is flat out embarrassing. I would rather them be bad, get a good pick and get better than finish in the middle and get destroyed every other year in the playoffs. The canucks have been rebuilding for a few years now, of course they arent making the playoffs. We are supposed to be contenders right now judging by the moves management makes but instead we have one more playoff win than a rebuilder over a 4 year stretch. Pointing out a rebuilding team not making the playoffs for 4 years when our finished product has ONE playoff win in the same span is just funny to me.
Old 04-07-2020, 09:50 AM   #9
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So? 1-8 is flat out embarrassing. I would rather them be bad, get a good pick and get better than finish in the middle and get destroyed every other year in the playoffs. The canucks have been rebuilding for a few years now, of course they arent making the playoffs. We are supposed to be contenders right now judging by the moves management makes but instead we have one more playoff win than a rebuilder over a 4 year stretch. Pointing out a rebuilding team not making the playoffs for 4 years when our finished product has ONE playoff win in the same span is just funny to me.
If I can't enjoy my team being better then a rival team for four years, the terrorists have won.
Old 04-07-2020, 09:56 AM   #10
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
If I can't enjoy my team being better then a rival team for four years, the terrorists have won.
By all means enjoy it, but the Canucks future looks a lot better now for their 4 years of pain. Maybe had BT organically grown the team during the rebuild instead of fast tracking everything, we could say the same. We started the rebuild in 2013 and management likely considered it complete roughly two years later when they decided that bleeding draft picks was a sound strategy. There's a reason other teams play the long game and show they can be more patient than their fans. Because if you don't, you end up in the middle tier with no hope of escape except through a proper rebuild actually completed by someone with some damn vision.
Old 04-07-2020, 09:58 AM   #11
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
By all means enjoy it, but the Canucks future looks a lot better now for their 4 years of pain. Maybe had BT organically grown the team during the rebuild instead of fast tracking everything, we could say the same. We started the rebuild in 2013 and management likely considered it complete roughly two years later when they decided they hemmoraging draft picks was a sound strategy. There's a reason other teams play the long game and show they can be more patient than their fans. Because if you don't, you end up in the middle tier with no hope of escape except through a proper rebuild actually completed by someone with some damn vision.
In reality, the Canucks may have made the same mistake in recent moves designed to accelerate their re-build. The JT Miller trade, is similar to the Flames acquiring Hamilton.

I do like a couple of their main pieces though: Hughes, Pettersson and Boeser were all really strong picks. Though I think Boeser has, for me, not continued to progress as I thought he would. But the other two are amazing pieces to have.

Imagine if they had picked Tkachuk instead of Joe Levi.
Yikes!
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 10:01 AM   #12
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

All joking ignorance aside, there is no guarantee that the Canucks will amount to anything but a middle of the road team.

Their top scorer J.T. Miller was in the middle of a career year, nearly doubling his best ever production. It is unlikely that he returns to that form. In fact a handful of players on their team were having a career year this year Including: Pearson, Virtanan, and Gaudette.

Also, this is by and large their team moving forward, as in they don't really have any exciting prospects waiting to make the team. Höglander is the only likely NHL player of the bunch.

A lot of teams make it to this point, but that in no was means that they will ever be more then a middle of the road team.
Old 04-07-2020, 10:04 AM   #13
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
In reality, the Canucks may have made the same mistake in recent moves designed to accelerate their re-build. The JT Miller trade, is similar to the Flames acquiring Hamilton.

I do like a couple of their main pieces though: Hughes, Pettersson and Boeser were all really strong picks. Though I think Boeser has, for me, not continued to progress as I thought he would. But the other two are amazing pieces to have.

Imagine if they had picked Tkachuk instead of Joe Levi.

Yikes!
They waited longer though and dipped lower. Those additional top 5/10 picks were huge. Adding Miller looks like a stroke of genius. Sure they added guys like Eriksson and beagle which is not unlike neal, brouwer or raymond but I feel they were prepared to be bad longer than the flames and were prepared to dip lower.

You are right about tkachuk. Had they drafted him though, everything would be different. It might mean no pettersen, bowser or miller in an alternate universe. I think fudging that pick actually worked put better for them as everything hinges on hughes and pettersen for them, 2 players that might not be there had they drafted tkachuk.
Old 04-07-2020, 10:06 AM   #14
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
By all means enjoy it, but the Canucks future looks a lot better now for their 4 years of pain.
They got nothing. They were in a death spiral before the cancellation of games.

Vancouver is no good.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2020, 10:07 AM   #15
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
All joking ignorance aside, there is no guarantee that the Canucks will amount to anything but a middle of the road team.

Their top scorer J.T. Miller was in the middle of a career year, nearly doubling his best ever production. It is unlikely that he returns to that form. In fact a handful of players on their team were having a career year this year Including: Pearson, Virtanan, and Gaudette.

Also, this is by and large their team moving forward, as in they don't really have any exciting prospects waiting to make the team. Höglander is the only likely NHL player of the bunch.

A lot of teams make it to this point, but that in no was means that they will ever be more then a middle of the road team.
Pettersen is better than anyone we have, and is good enough to build an entire team around. A 1 OA talent they got at 5. Franchise changing. I would be shocked if they don't win some playoff series with that guy.

Old 04-07-2020, 10:08 AM   #16
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
They got nothing. They were in a death spiral before the cancellation of games.

Vancouver is no good.
Other teams are good/ have potential to be good. Even rivals. It's okay to admit it.

Old 04-07-2020, 10:09 AM   #17
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Pettersen is better than anyone we have, and is good enough to build an entire team around. A 1 OA talent they got at 5. Franchise changing. I would be shocked if they don't win some playoff series with that guy.

Maybe in the future. But right now Pettersson is a one dimensional forward with who has never scored 70 points in a season.
Old 04-07-2020, 10:21 AM   #18
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Maybe in the future. But right now Pettersson is a one dimensional forward with who has never scored 70 points in a season.
70 points is arbitrary cut off for a player who has two seasons under his belt. Injuries in his rookie year and cancellation of his sophomore year.

Old 04-07-2020, 10:25 AM   #19
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Other teams are good/ have potential to be good. Even rivals. It's okay to admit it.

I know the cool kids around here are all extremely dire and pessimistic about the Flames's outlook, but it is equally okay to acknowledge that the team is not the melodramatically fashionable dumpster-fire that you prattle on about.

Quote:
Old 04-07-2020, 10:28 AM   #20
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
70 points is arbitrary cut off for a player who has two seasons under his belt. Injuries in his rookie year and cancellation of his sophomore year.

It's still a hurdle he has to clear. Without knowing how the League and the PA will approach contract terms amid the pandemic there is a very real possibility that Petterson will no longer be playing on his ELC when he does hit this arbitrary number, and for the Canucks that is likely to be a significant issue.

Quote: