Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2020, 01:23 AM   #261
Pliddy
Backup Goalie

Exp:

As a kid playing High School Football in the 90's, it was amazing to have a Calgarian in the backfield (even if he went to Dief). I used to try to model myself after Tim, somewhere in my parents basement there is a Petros jersey packed in a box. When this virus is over I'm going to go look for it
Old 03-31-2020, 10:24 AM   #262
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
If the CFL season gets delayed, one option they are considering is an 8 game regular season starting on Labor Day: https://www.tsn.ca/cfl-weighing-opti...d-19-1.1460628
As a one off situation that would provide a unique opportunity for the league. An eight game season would be a round robin, everyone plays each other once. For this year only (to add some more gate revenue) all teams could make the playoffs. 8 vs. 9 as a wild card play in. Then quarter finals, semi finals, and the Grey Cup. You end up with 12 weeks of football so not a total loss.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 12:37 PM   #263
RyZ
First Line Centre

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1245036029020520448
RyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RyZ For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2020, 12:50 PM   #264
Julio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
As a one off situation that would provide a unique opportunity for the league. An eight game season would be a round robin, everyone plays each other once. For this year only (to add some more gate revenue) all teams could make the playoffs. 8 vs. 9 as a wild card play in. Then quarter finals, semi finals, and the Grey Cup. You end up with 12 weeks of football so not a total loss.

In this scenario, I would prefer it be 8 games, but all in division...home and away in the west, extra game against rivals in the east. Less travel in a compressed schedule, and every game would be a 4 point game.

Last edited by Julio; 03-31-2020 at 01:23 PM.
Julio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 01:17 PM   #265
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio View Post
In this scenario, I would prefer it be 8 games, but all in division...home and away int he west, extra game against rivals in the east. Less travel in a compressed schedule, and every game would be a 4 point game.
But if everyone makes the playoffs, does the regular season and/or points mean that much? It also wouldn’t work with 9 teams.

I’d prefer the 8 game regular season, and would even suggest a 1-8 playoff format (an 8-9 playoff might be interesting, but it adds an extra week). Would provide more incentive for doing well in the regular season, and it would be fair since everyone plays everyone once.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 01:23 PM   #266
Julio
First Line Centre

Exp:

In my scenario, playoffs would be as per normal.
Old 04-03-2020, 04:02 PM   #267
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1246181460588912640
Old 04-03-2020, 04:45 PM   #268
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

We won those right ??

It the ones in between that I wanna miss...
Old 04-03-2020, 04:56 PM   #269
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nufy View Post
We won those right ??

It the ones in between that I wanna miss...

2014 and 2018 = good

2016 and 2017 = bad
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 10:04 AM   #270
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1247549566276128768
Old 04-08-2020, 04:44 PM   #271
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Remembering Marcus Crandell on stampeders.com

Great little read.

Quote:
Marcus Crandell was seemingly in a no-win situation.

From the moment he became a Calgary Stampeder, circumstances conspired to make his football life unpleasant.

For starters, when the quarterback from North Carolina joined the Stamps as a free agent in 2001, he was following some very tough acts. Consider the names of the starting QBs who had racked up miles of passing yardage for the Red and White in the decade before Crandell’s arrival.

Flutie. Garcia. Dickenson.

If the deck wasn’t already stacked enough against Crandell, the 2001 Stamps were in a team in transition.

For one thing, that was the first season since 1989 that a Calgary quarterback didn’t have the luxury of throwing footballs to Allen Pitts, one of the greatest receivers in CFL history. In addition, five all-stars from the 2000 squad — Dave Dickenson, Eddie Davis, Shonte’ Peoples, Marvin Coleman and Tony Martino — were no longer on the squad.

That was also the year franchise ownership was transferred from Sig Gutsche to Michael Feterik.
https://www.stampeders.com/2015/02/0...ence-paid-off/
Old 04-08-2020, 05:02 PM   #272
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know it's selfish, and I hate to write it, but I was really looking forward to going home in July to see a couple games and be around Winnipeg. And that won't happen. I get there's a lot of #### going on, but yeah that's super disappointing. #### I had covid.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 06:46 PM   #273
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

Quote:
A former Edmonton Eskimos front office employee is suing the team for wrongful dismissal, and alleging he was also asked to help the club circumvent the Canadian Football League’s salary cap.
Kyle Thorne worked as the Eskimos director of human performance between February of 2018 and November of 2019.

Thorne says he was unfairly fired over an $800 accounting error and for refusing multiple requests from general manager Brock Sunderland to keep healthy players on the team’s injury list where they wouldn’t count against the team’s salary cap.
https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/ex-eskim...-cap-1.4888697
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 08:09 AM   #274
Jiggy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
I know it's selfish, and I hate to write it, but I was really looking forward to going home in July to see a couple games and be around Winnipeg. And that won't happen. I get there's a lot of #### going on, but yeah that's super disappointing. #### I had covid.

I love being outside for a football game (beers in hand) in the summer. It's honestly one of the most relaxing things for me. I hope we get some games in August or September.
Jiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiggy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2020, 08:49 AM   #275
Slanter
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Yeah, and you can always go to the top rows of Section X if you want to be totally isolated
Slanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 09:19 AM   #276
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slanter View Post
Yeah, and you can always go to the top rows of Section X if you want to be totally isolated
Or an Argos game

White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2020, 12:45 PM   #277
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

So legitimate accusations of salary cap circumvention;

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/ex-eskim...-cap-1.4888697

Quote:
EDMONTON -- A former Edmonton Eskimos front office employee is suing the team for wrongful dismissal, and alleging he was also asked to help the club circumvent the Canadian Football League’s salary cap.

Kyle Thorne worked as the Eskimos director of human performance between February of 2018 and November of 2019.

Thorne says he was unfairly fired over an $800 accounting error and for refusing multiple requests from general manager Brock Sunderland to keep healthy players on the team’s injury list where they wouldn’t count against the team’s salary cap.

"It was super uncomfortable. It felt like I was being set up to be a fall guy if anything ever happened," Thorne said of the requests he says were made as a personal favour from the general manager.

The allegations are outlined in a statement of claim obtained by CTV News and filed in Alberta Court of Queen's Bench on April 2.
Kind of sucks that Canadians have their own KHL and I'm really surprised the league hasn't been taken to task with all the cheating that goes on behind the scenes. Why have a salary cap and rules if they are not enforced? I love the CFL but I wish it wasn't such a bush league sport.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2020, 03:06 PM   #278
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nothing earth shattering here - Just an article that speculates that Huf could entertain offers for the first overall draft pick.

The Calgary Stampeders are open to listening to trade offers for the No. 1 overall selection in the 2020 CFL draft, per sources.

Stamps’ general manager John Hufnagel has a few targets in mind for the No. 1 overall selection and East Carolina University linebacker Jordan Williams is very likely one of those players. However, if the price is right, Hufnagel could opt to trade back, accrue draft capital and land a favoured prospect.

https://3downnation.com/2020/04/27/s...fl-draft-pick/
dash_pinched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 03:12 PM   #279
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

The thing about Williams is as long as he is a player, he is a ratio breaker that benefits every other aspect of the team, ala Alex Singleton.

Cant imagine Huf dealing out of that situation unless he thinks there are issues with Williams abilities...which would be the first time hearing anything like that about the young man.
Old 04-27-2020, 05:57 PM   #280
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggy View Post
I love being outside for a football game (beers in hand) in the summer. It's honestly one of the most relaxing things for me. I hope we get some games in August or September.
Games with fans? Not a chance in hell this summer.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post: