Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-29-2016, 05:57 PM   #1
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:
Default Battlefield 1

Figured this game could use its own thread.

Green Man Gaming has the standard game on for $47 which is a lot less than retail. I wonder if they send out keys right away or if I'll have to wait.

And I guess the Origin Mexico thing doesn't work anymore, at least for Battlefield 1. I'd heard someone get Battlefront for $20 from Origin Mexico so I might still try that, though with the new expansions is there anyone playing the original maps at all?

Anyway, woo Battlefield 1!
Old 09-29-2016, 07:57 PM   #2
gaffobohs
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Preordered during the E3 sales, $50. Can't wait!

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
gaffobohs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 07:27 AM   #3
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Going to be doing some pc upgrades soon, partly because of bf1. Can't wait
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 11:16 AM   #4
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I think I'm going to wait on this game for a while, because to me if just looks like all the other battlefield games with a new skin.

With WW1 they could do some interesting things

1) Bad technology - In the first tank assault by the allies, I think it was Cambrai. They rolled out about 400 tanks deployed, half of them failed mechanically, and another 65 or 70 were destroyed by artillery or immobilized. so I would love to see you heroically fight your way to a tank and jump in a snicker because well tank. then it goes 4 feet and the engine explodes.

2) Bad technology 2 - Bad rifles. You march up to the edge of your trench and lean over while sweating as you hear an enemy assualt coming. You take careful aim at a lead german officer and pull the trigger and you hear a pffft sound as the whole trigger mechanism falls apart in your hand. You hear the same sound from up and down the line as 5 out of 10 of your new rifles fail and your suddenly fighting a war of clubs as a bunch of rifles on the German side fail too.

3) Hours of boredom, sheer moments of terror, maybe play an engineer - you get your orders that night. Tomorrow at 0900 you're going to give those Jerry's the what for. You're to lead your men on a direct assault of the enemy trench 200 yards away. Your platoon the whatevers or whatevers will lead a full frontal assualt to distract the germans while the engineers complete digging the tunnel under the Jerry's and finish mining it. You flip through your officers manual and remember that a good officer rallies the men by leading from the front. The rest of the night in the game you go around checking your men's feet and supplies and equipment. Then you write a letter to your parents of your special girl back home (extra points if it actually gets through the mail system) and smoke 40 cigarettes. In the morning you hear the artillary softening up the enemy. you press the X button on your controller which spews phrases that should give your men a bravery bonuse. Phrases like "Chin up lads", and "Jerry won't know what hit him". then you hear the word charge, a ladder slams on the trench next to you, and you press the Y button and a loud "Charge, arrrh errupts from your speakers" You climb the trench ladder, and pull out your pistol and turn around to your men and yell "Charge", then take two steps and see 10 machine guns opening up on you, you fall back into the trench and hope one of your team mates will revive you. You wake up in the hospital to see a nurse holding a ether cloth over your mouth and nose while a doctor saws off your leg while telling you to "Quit your screaming Lt, this will only take another minute"

4) This is a minigame. You sit in your trench in 6 inches of brackish water and need to be able to pull your boots off inspect your feet for trench rot, and then change your socks without getting the rest of your kit wet. If you take care of your feet, you get a +5 valor bonus on the next trench assault.

5) You've been sitting in your trench for hours, you see an officer coming down and yelling "Stand too, we have artillary coming lads". The first shells burst over your head, you use your controller to inspect them. Then you look over and see German's approaching at a slow pace, they appear to be wearing . . . . Oh crap you hear coughing and vomiting as your screen turns yellow. You hear the german word for charge. You now have 10 seconds to put on your clumsy gas mask. If you do, your vision range and area drops by 90 percent and you have to fight like that. If you can't find your gas mask because you lost it in a poker game with Watkins who is now sitting there wearing two gasmasks one over his face and one over his junk cheerfully waving to you. you must pull out a hanky and pee on it and then tie it over your mouth and nose. Negative points if you can't pee.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2016, 11:37 AM   #5
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just a head's up, the GMG price is in USD, so it's more like ~$60 CDN after the discount, which is still better than the 80 bucks on Origin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.

Last edited by PsYcNeT; 09-30-2016 at 11:47 AM.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 03:42 PM   #6
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

On that note CC, I really do hope they manage to catch the terror of WW1 for the single player campagin. Also, I hope it has a decent single player campaign
Old 09-30-2016, 10:00 PM   #7
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I do too, it always seems in these games that multiplayer really wrecks the actual environment and feeling of the game. To me playing battlefield in multiplayer just takes away the realism of things because its rare that there's actual coordination or strategy. It becomes a free for all where you have people running around doing stupid things.

I would love to see a first person shooter that actually rewards things like proper ambush tactics or over sight, or calling in air support or artillery.

I think the easiest way to do this is to designate a commander and give him an different interface where he can coordinate things, and then you give team rewards for carrying out objectives with the least amount of casualties.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2016, 10:02 PM   #8
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

For sure. Multiplayer always has a 'messy' feel to it. What I love most in games these days is immersion, and not enough games focus on that. Yet you'd think any game using a first person perspective would use it more
Old 10-01-2016, 12:40 AM   #9
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
For sure. Multiplayer always has a 'messy' feel to it. What I love most in games these days is immersion, and not enough games focus on that. Yet you'd think any game using a first person perspective would use it more
I remember playing battlefield vietnam, and we had a large team, and we had a bunch of us ex service guys playing including one guy that had flown fighters.

We decided to play it straight and grabbed as many jets as we could. then we sent a few guys out to scout backed up with APC's fully loaded. our scout guys found an enemy rally point in a village and we sent the scouts up to watch it. Then we unloaded the APC's and basically surrounded the village. Then we called in air. One of the guys flew an F-4 in low and straffed the village, mean while we told the other guy in an F-4 to come in high and drop his ordinance.

He came in high rolled over and dove then rolled wings level at the last second and dropped napalm through the door into the building where the enemy decided to hole up. While that was happening our scouts were directing everything over the head set and we sent in an APC with troop support from each side of the village and started just killing people with the long range machine gun.

It was a slaughter and it was so cool to sit up on a hill and watch one jet scream in below you he was so close to the ground, then look up to see a jet do a roll in and drop ordinance.

If we'd had more people, we would have grabbed the huey at the base and loaded it with guys and tried a air cav assault.

When it works it works. But usually you have too many people that just want to lone wolf it and run around shooting at everything that moves.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2016, 02:27 PM   #10
photon

Exp:

EA Access or Origin Access users can play a 10 hour trial of Battlefield 1 (two maps, different than the beta I think) starting today.

I was actually thinking of getting Origin Access for a little while to try out Battlefront without buying it but it's not there yet they said it's coming "later this year".
Old 10-12-2016, 02:40 PM   #11
Violator
On Hiatus

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
EA Access or Origin Access users can play a 10 hour trial of Battlefield 1 (two maps, different than the beta I think) starting today.

I was actually thinking of getting Origin Access for a little while to try out Battlefront without buying it but it's not there yet they said it's coming "later this year".
Dec12 I believe
Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 02:46 PM   #12
photon

Exp:

Thanks, I'll wait I partly wanted access to Battlefront to hold me over until Battlefield comes out!
Old 10-12-2016, 03:19 PM   #13
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Battlefront is like, 20 bucks now duder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 06:05 PM   #14
TjRhythmic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The deathstar xpac is actually pretty fun for Battlefront
TjRhythmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 11:04 AM   #15
photon

Exp:

Haha awesome gun to unlock in BF1

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2016, 10:59 AM   #16
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

PSA - Those that purchased the early enlisters edition can pre-load and play tonight at 10PM
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 04:53 PM   #17
sixpacked
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbo View Post
PSA - Those that purchased the early enlisters edition can pre-load and play tonight at 10PM
Right on, right on. Be knocking those bi-planes out of the sky!!!!
Old 10-17-2016, 08:00 PM   #18
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Nice howitzer shot into the ground 2 feet in front of himself.

That should have killed everyone.

Old 10-18-2016, 09:45 AM   #19
sixpacked
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Nice howitzer shot into the ground 2 feet in front of himself.

That should have killed everyone.
Dud!!
Old 10-18-2016, 10:28 AM   #20
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I think I'm going to wait on this game for a while, because to me if just looks like all the other battlefield games with a new skin.

With WW1 they could do some interesting things

1) Bad technology - In the first tank assault by the allies, I think it was Cambrai. They rolled out about 400 tanks deployed, half of them failed mechanically, and another 65 or 70 were destroyed by artillery or immobilized. so I would love to see you heroically fight your way to a tank and jump in a snicker because well tank. then it goes 4 feet and the engine explodes.

Spoiler!

Pretty great game so far.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote