Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-05-2017, 07:27 PM   #441
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

The question to me would be how effectively do those apps use the GPU.

You might want to see if you can find benchmarks for your specific usages.

This suggests that some things in PS are significantly impacted by the GPU, while others aren't.
https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/ar...nchmarkResults

Similar with 3DS Max
https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/ar...chmarkGraphics

That suggests to me like it's not like you'll be sitting in class for 5 minutes while everyone else's is done in 30 seconds.

Then again I'm a teacher's pet, I would get whatever they told me
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2017, 07:40 PM   #442
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

I question what they wrote, because they said 970 or higher, but immediately below stated that the GPU should have at least 1gb dedicated memory, which is weird because the 970 is 8gb.
I wondered if they thought that 970 or greater meant sequentiality (1050, 1050ti, 1060 etc...)
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 07:45 PM   #443
missdpuck
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default PC Hardware Talk Megathread

I have a Dell gaming laptop with 256 gb ssd 1060 8gb ips screen that runs all the creative cloud stuff really well. I use an external hard drive but they have a model with 128/256 and 1tb.

Oh also have the 970 version.

I don't game; just lots of photo editing and graphic work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by missdpuck; 09-05-2017 at 07:48 PM.
missdpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 07:52 PM   #444
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
I question what they wrote, because they said 970 or higher, but immediately below stated that the GPU should have at least 1gb dedicated memory, which is weird because the 970 is 8gb.
I wondered if they thought that 970 or greater meant sequentiality (1050, 1050ti, 1060 etc...)
Hard to say, but benchmarks should be the ultimate test. If the 1050ti gets you 80% of the performance of a 970, will that have a negative impact on your ability to do your classwork would be the question I'd be asking.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2017, 07:58 PM   #445
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

It doesn't look like there's enough of a difference from the 1070 to the 1050ti to justify the huge price increase.

Secondary question, I'm looking at a MSI on newegg; does anyone have much experience with MSI/Newegg for service and returns?
Old 09-05-2017, 08:41 PM   #446
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
It doesn't look like there's enough of a difference from the 1070 to the 1050ti to justify the huge price increase.
That's simply not true. The 1070 is a big jump from the 1060, and then it's not as big a jump to the 1050ti from the 1060. For what you need of course, the 1070 isn't worth it. From a longevity standpoint the 1060 is a better option though. You can't just swap a laptop's video card out so if you plan on using the laptop for a long time, then the 1060 should be your choice. The 1050 Ti can only have 4 GB of memory, while the 1060 can have 6 GB.

I say all this after doing a ton of research before buying my wife a new laptop. There's a ton of great information on notebookcheck.net if you're interested in specifics for differences between the cards and laptops as they have extensive reviews.

EDIT: Here is notebookcheck's benchmarking: https://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile...ist.844.0.html

I ended up spending more than I planned on my wife's laptop and got her a MSI gaming laptop with a 1070. I'm hoping it lasts a long time.

Last edited by Mazrim; 09-05-2017 at 08:49 PM.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2017, 08:46 PM   #447
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
That's simply not true. The 1070 is a big jump from the 1060, and then it's not as huge a jump to the 1050ti from the 1060. For what you need of course, the 1070 isn't worth it. From a longevity standpoint the 1060 is a better option though. You can't just swap a laptop's video card out so if you plan on using the laptop for a long time, then the 1060 should be your choice.

I say all this after doing a ton of research before buying my wife a new laptop. There's a ton of great information on notebookcheck.net if you're interested in specifics for differences between the cards and laptops as they have extensive reviews.
Yeah, I think I'm leaning toward the 1060.
Thanks.
Old 10-13-2017, 08:50 AM   #448
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm considering building a PC for my recording studio/dungeon. However when it comes to nuts and bolts of computers I'm hopelessly lost. I could buy a recording specific PC but they seem very overpriced and the general consensus from my limited research is that building one gives you more bang for your buck and can be specific for the Digital Audio Workstation you are using.
I'm currently using a old bare bones PC and it works pretty well. It's old however and sometimes it has a seizure when loading big projects. I'd have to look and see what it's specs are, but it's not much. It's like 6 years old, some 700$ asus special from Best Buy. My understanding is that I will need lots of RAM, a good processor... But it all seems like Greek to me. I use Ableton Live as my DAW, and I would prefer to use Windows 7, and I need USB 2.0 to link my recording interface to my PC. Other than that I don't care what else it has. Maybe a decent video card since I can do video editing on my DAW? Kinda lost on this one and don't want to drop big coin on a prepackaged PC for this purpose.
My current computer has done well, but I'd like a dedicated PC for what I'm doing. Also will be looking for an external hard drive for backing up projects. Just looking for some insight on good hardware, where to spend, where to save from people who forgot more about computers than I know.
2Stonedbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 10:35 AM   #449
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Stonedbirds View Post
I use Ableton Live as my DAW, and I would prefer to use Windows 7, and I need USB 2.0 to link my recording interface to my PC. Other than that I don't care what else it has. Maybe a decent video card since I can do video editing on my DAW? Kinda lost on this one and don't want to drop big coin on a prepackaged PC for this purpose.
Here's a couple of articles that look at performance from a DAW perspective:

http://www.scanproaudio.info/2017/10...ine-injection/
http://techreport.com/review/32642/i...pu-reviewed/14

It suggests that the recently released Intel 8700K hexacore is probably the best overall CPU for DAW when accounting for performance and cost, if you can find it in stock. The Ryzen 1700 is a good option as well. But with the new CPUs, you'll probably want to use Windows 10 for the better support of the new CPU families.
accord1999 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to accord1999 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2017, 11:51 AM   #450
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

Very cool, thank you kindly. Ableton has a patch or fix or whatever to use Windows 10, some people reported problems with it but I think they have it figured out by now? It just seemed to be stable on Windows 7 and since it was essentially plug and play it was great for me. Thanks for the articles!
2Stonedbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 03:14 PM   #451
OmegaV4
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm still debating wether or not I should move away from Radeon or stick with what I know.

What I know? My wallet has a much better relationship with AMD than it does with nVidia. However, I will not deny the performance of a decent GeForce card.
OmegaV4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 03:24 PM   #452
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaV4 View Post
I'm still debating wether or not I should move away from Radeon or stick with what I know.

What I know? My wallet has a much better relationship with AMD than it does with nVidia. However, I will not deny the performance of a decent GeForce card.
I've been very impressed with my RX 480, FWIW.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2017, 01:00 PM   #453
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

https://mobilesyrup.com/2017/10/20/a...or-21x-canada/
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 01:08 PM   #454
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galakanokis View Post
That looks...unpleasant. Does get maybe 5 minutes on battery power?
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 01:14 PM   #455
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
That looks...unpleasant. Does get maybe 5 minutes on battery power?
Just a little excessive to say the least. It does require to bricks to keep powered.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 02:32 PM   #456
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

I asked for one for Christmas, fingers crossed!
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 03:45 PM   #457
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is it weird that the LEDs on my front case fan seem to have gone out? The fan still works fine so I'm not really all that concerned. Just thought it was odd and hoping it's not a sign of bigger problems.
Old 10-20-2017, 04:18 PM   #458
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Is it weird that the LEDs on my front case fan seem to have gone out? The fan still works fine so I'm not really all that concerned. Just thought it was odd and hoping it's not a sign of bigger problems.
Might just be a shoddy solder job. If the fans are still spinning (and you didn't accidentally turn them off with a fan controller or something similar) I wouldn't stress it.

You can always replace them with fancier ones if needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2017, 12:36 PM   #459
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, I did my budget build last spring with intentions of keeping it below $1000 and upgrading later. Re-used my old HDD to save money, and went with cheap-ish GPU and CPU's to get me by.

Getting the itch to finish what I started now. Here's the parts I have now that I'm thinking of upgrading

CPU: Intel Core i3 7450k @ 4.2Ghz. A good little CPU but limited with 2 cores. Any recommendations here? Would an i5 7600k be a strong enough upgrade to bother replacing it, or should I just go right for something like the i7 7700k? Motherboard is a LGA 1151 socket

GPU: Radeon 470 4GB - A solid budget card at the time I bought it but already showing it's age, especially with only 4gb of graphics memory. Looking at 8gb cards now. Is spending the $400- ish on a RX 580 a worthwhile upgrade, or is that just asking to be looking at a replacement in a year. Would you guys reccomend spending the extra $150-$200 on a GTX 1070? I've had luck with Radeon and GeForce, no brand preference here.

Obviously a SSD is on my list as well.

Looking to keep the upgrades below $800 all in, although if someone were to make a good case at spending closer to $1000 I'd listen to it. Not in a rush to buy, likely waiting for Black Friday sales. Any recommendations are appreciated guys! Thanks
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 02:08 PM   #460
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
GPU: Radeon 470 4GB - A solid budget card at the time I bought it but already showing it's age, especially with only 4gb of graphics memory.
This slightly worries because I have the RX 480, but I did spring for the 8GB version so hopefully that fends off father time for a few more years.