Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-08-2019, 12:54 PM   #1101
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Can you take some pictures?

BBQs Galore has all manner of adapters, albeit pricey.
Yeah I'll try some lubricant and if that fails I'll take some pictures. To be honest, charcoal is still my preferred and I kind of bought this for those spur of the moment cooks or times when it's -40 but I just feel like something BBQ'd...so what I'm saying is that this is supposed to be quick and painless!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 01:36 PM   #1102
Redlan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I have a 24" Pit Boss Ceramic Grill and can pretty much do anything with it, low and slow (175°F) to sear (+450°F, I have had it over 700°F). It is not set it and forget it, however once you get the hang of it you can adjust or maintain temperatures quite easily (I prefer to be in more control). I have made some of my best meals on it in the last 2 years, steak, chicken, ribs, burgers, prime rib. I made fall-off-the-bone Ribs this week using a modified 3-2-1 method (4 hrs, not 6 so 1 3/4 - 1 1/2 - 3/4) and still there was maximum smokiness and tenderness by using apple cider vinegar in the foil wrap portion.

My dirty pleasure is Guga Foods on YouTube, I have been caught by my wife watching this in the early morning hours...got some great ideas from him.
Redlan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Redlan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2019, 05:04 PM   #1103
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Can you take some pictures?

BBQs Galore has all manner of adapters, albeit pricey.
I ended up having to get a different fitting. I guess there are not only a couple different sizes, but also some have 3 bearings and some have 5. At any rate....now I'm cooking with gas!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2019, 10:11 AM   #1104
Canadianman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadianman View Post
I'm waiting for the Lousiana Grill LG900 to go on clearance at Costco.

if I get that, I'll have a 4 drawer digital bradley smoker that I'd be willing to sell
Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
FYI - this is what Canadianman is talking about. Regular price $799:

NSFW!

Unfortunately it doesn't sound like it's not on clearance yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
Was at Costco South today. The Costco gods continue to mock Canadianman with the still priced at $799 Louisiana Grill.

Still had the Napoleon and Webers.

Just dropped to $499.97 for final clearance at Alberta Costco's!! Picked up the last one from Heritage Gate (SW). Smoking good deal, pun intended.

When I called at 9am, there were 5 left at Sunridge, 8 at Crossiron, none at East Hills. I didn't call the other stores.
Canadianman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Canadianman For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2019, 09:23 AM   #1105
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has anyone done a Boston butt on the rotisserie? I'm thinking about doing it on the long weekend and I'm wondering about cook time. I'm thinking maybe 30-40 mins/pound at around 300 degrees?

Last edited by Hockeyguy15; 08-20-2019 at 09:31 AM.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 09:32 AM   #1106
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
Has anyone done a Boston butt on the rotisserie? I'm thinking about doing it on the long weekend
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2019, 02:15 PM   #1107
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

What are the thoughts on the smaller versions of the Big Green Egg / Kamado Joe's? I don't typically BBQ a lot of items at once - cooking for 4 most of the time.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 02:54 PM   #1108
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I’ve had our large big green egg for four years now and I would not recommend going smaller. Once you get accustomed to how delicious everything you cook on it is you find more and more things to try. My favorite is doing fresh turkey and I can do a 20 lb bird. I also like to do extra portions for leftovers. The big green egg is awesome though, one of my favorite purchases ever.
bagofpucks is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bagofpucks For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2019, 12:09 PM   #1109
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
What are the thoughts on the smaller versions of the Big Green Egg / Kamado Joe's? I don't typically BBQ a lot of items at once - cooking for 4 most of the time.
This is my first summer with my Kamado and it's the regular size. I'm in love with it and likely won't upgrade any time soon, but if I was doing it again I'd probably go bigger. Sometimes you'll set it up with direct and indirect zones, and that's where you'll feel the size issues. On its own the regular grill is totally serviceable, but when you cut it in half it's easy to run into issues.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2019, 06:52 PM   #1110
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

I literally can't read any post from you anymore without it turning into "I heard screams, ran over in pure darkness and kicked the **** out of a wolf, saving a family of four" in my head.

So you may as well just post that from now on.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2019, 07:01 PM   #1111
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Save my family from propane, Russic.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 08:19 AM   #1112
trew
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Has anyone done a Boston butt on the rotisserie? I'm thinking about doing it on the long weekend and I'm wondering about cook time. I'm thinking maybe 30-40 mins/pound at around 300 degrees?
I wouldn't rotisserie a butt. That cut of meat is full of connective tissue and needs to be cooked to a point where the collagen converts to gelatin to allow the meat to be tender and easy to chew. When this happens the whole thing literally falls apart and will be difficult to rotisserie.

The better option is to cook the butt for a couple few hours over indirect heat, and then foil it and let it cook for a couple more hours. As to when to foil it, some people go by internal temperature (usually 160-165 ish), but it essentially is the moment the meat stops steaming out significant water and, ideally, is the exact moment the rub spices are dry and cannot be rubbed off the meat with a soft finger swipe. Every roast is a bit different in this regard, so this may occur below 160 or above 170.

The meat is done when it is "probe tender". This is when you can push a skewer into the meat and feel very little resistance. It should feel like sticking a skewer into a jar of peanut butter or a cake.

If you want to rotisserie something, I would suggest cooking a pork loin or rib roast instead.

Last edited by trew; 08-22-2019 at 08:21 AM.
trew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to trew For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2019, 08:21 AM   #1113
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Even with trussing you don't think it would hold up?

Also do you think 4 hours unfoiled, then 2 hours foiled would be sufficient for 2 4lb roasts? Just looking for a rough guide.

Last edited by Hockeyguy15; 08-22-2019 at 08:28 AM.
Old 08-22-2019, 08:33 AM   #1114
Garbs
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:

Also do you think 4 hours un-foiled, then 2 hours foiled would be sufficient for 2 4lb roasts? Just looking for a rough guide.
When cooked properly i have a hard time moving the pork when wrapped in foil without it falling apart. You need to get to that 195-205 range to get everything broken down and soften the meat. Best bet for cook times is a meat thermometer. Even a cheap instant read one would be fine for starting out.

Typically when i do ~10 lb its ~4-6h un-foiled to 165 ish then ~4-6h foiled... it really depends on the fat distribution in the meat and how the grill is handling it. It is a fairly forgiving piece of meat as long as you get it up to that sweet spot where the connective tissues break down.

Rotisserie typically i think of is great for getting direct heat onto food without having to worry as much about burning. So getting a nice crispy chicken skin etc. while retaining moisture as it will baste itself from rotating.
Garbs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Garbs For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2019, 08:44 AM   #1115
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I have the thermometer but I was more looking to know a rough time so I know when to put it on so it's ready to eat for the party.
Old 08-22-2019, 09:18 AM   #1116
Garbs
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah I have the thermometer but I was more looking to know a rough time so I know when to put it on so it's ready to eat for the party.
I usually plan for 12h cook times for mine but they are 8-10 lbs typically. I always go for longer as letting it rest in the oven on warm once cooked (or a smaller cooler still wrapped in foil w/ a towel on it) so it drops temp slowly for at least an hour. I have let it rest longer and always comes out fine.

You can always let it rest and keep it warm but you cant get it to cook faster.
Old 08-22-2019, 09:23 AM   #1117
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbs View Post
I usually plan for 12h cook times for mine but they are 8-10 lbs typically. I always go for longer as letting it rest in the oven on warm once cooked (or a smaller cooler still wrapped in foil w/ a towel on it) so it drops temp slowly for at least an hour. I have let it rest longer and always comes out fine.

You can always let it rest and keep it warm but you cant get it to cook faster.
I feel like I should be ok for around 6 hours for two 4lbs then. Thanks for the info.
Old 08-22-2019, 09:36 AM   #1118
Garbs
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
I feel like I should be ok for around 6 hours for two 4lbs then. Thanks for the info.
Should have mentioned i usually run the smoker at 225 not 300. So 6h should be no problem with time to rest.
Old 08-22-2019, 12:18 PM   #1119
trew
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Also do you think 4 hours unfoiled, then 2 hours foiled would be sufficient for 2 4lb roasts? Just looking for a rough guide.
That should be enough time... but better to start earlier; as soon as the meat is probe tender, if you take it off the heat, open up the foil, let it cool down to 175 internal, and then re-wrap it and keep it in a warm (175'ish) oven, you can serve it anytime in the next four hours. Probably optimal after an hour or two of rest, actually. (The moisture and temperature will normalize across the meat).

And yeah, you could truss and rig it up to not slag on the rotisserie, but it won't get you anything; You would be using the Rotisserie for the sake of using a rotisserie.
trew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to trew For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2019, 10:10 PM   #1120
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I do Pork Shoulder from Costco on a rotisserie often. My wife hates pulled pork so I find rotisserie does a nice job of rendering out the fat. I take it to 180.

Here's the recipe I used.

https://www.dadcooksdinner.com/rotis...houlder-roast/

Smoking is great (just did that today) but there are days when 1.5hrs is all you have time for.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post:

Tags
bbq , beer , grilling , meat , napoleon , steak , weber