Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-28-2019, 07:03 PM   #821
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

So they sent a two man crew tonight, took a look at it, of course things are clear tonight. They went out to the box, the whole buildings getting bad signals, so they have to send in maintenance which is another week.

Why in the blue F, wouldn't they have checked this the first or second or third time around, or checked to see if anyone else was complaining.

I get it, these are pretty untrained guys, change the splitter, and the cables and done. But the senior guy went out and looked at the box and probably stared at it with a slack jaw and a stupid look on his face.

Unbelievable, I even suggested that it was between the building and Shaw two fracking weeks ago, and asked them to check to see if anyone else in the building is having a problem.

Just horrendous. I don't blame the techs, this is the way they're trained, but man this is just lazy.

Maintenance will take up to a week, if its not fixed by Friday when I call in, I'm pulling the plug on this and looking at alternatives.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 07:32 PM   #822
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
my new deal is $155 for Shaw pick 12 and internet 300.
That's not a great deal at all.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2019, 07:53 PM   #823
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

What is "Shaw Pick 12?" Is that in addition to small tv, or you just pick 12 channels? I don't see it listed on their site.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 11:12 AM   #824
Dube
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I’m sure it’s been asked before but is 4K coming anytime soon?
Dube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 01:57 PM   #825
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
That's not a great deal at all.
Well that’s great, because I pay 163 for the exact same.

Edit- oh wait, I have crave movies+hbo as well. $20 by itself
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 12:47 AM   #826
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I have Crave and HBO and the WWE network, also the $300.00 credit that I got from them which basically pays for 2 months.

I'm good on the deal.

As an add on, I did get a quality check call as they had suppossedly fix the issue between Shaw and my complex. My signal has been clear now for 5 days.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 02:02 PM   #827
Dentoman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

If you have BlueSky TV, you can now watch your recorded shows on the FreeRange TV app
Dentoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 07:53 PM   #828
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dentoman View Post
If you have BlueSky TV, you can now watch your recorded shows on the FreeRange TV app
This was released to Calgary customers in March.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 10:25 PM   #829
Dentoman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I just got Bluesky 3 weeks ago and got the email about streaming your recordings yesterday so I thought it was new.
Dentoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 09:31 PM   #830
jeep991
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

At the start of August I was offered a 2 year value plan for internet 300. It was $38/month for the first year and $53/month for the second year plus a $100 bill credit. I jumped on it. Now I'm paying $87/month for internet 300 and limited tv. Great deal.
jeep991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 11:06 PM   #831
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dube View Post
I’m sure it’s been asked before but is 4K coming anytime soon?
Likely not until they absolutely have to.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 12:50 PM   #832
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

We just signed on for Internet 600 + Large TV for $165/month or something like that. Our existing Shaw package already was Internet 600 @ $95/month, but we were also paying TELUS $153/month for Internet 50 and a basic HDTV package. Since TELUS don't offer fiber in our area and I refuse to use craptacular 50Meg service, we are cancelling our services with them as the contract lapses at the end of the month. Shaw gave us three wired 4K boxes included (one BlueSky TV 4K box, and two BlueSky Portals), though it should be noted that the box is 4K-capable, but only outputs 4K when watching Netflix which sort of misses the damn point. I can do 4K Netflix over my TV and my X1X.

Last edited by TorqueDog; 08-16-2019 at 12:57 PM.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 10:58 AM   #833
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Has anyone tried the new Shaw wireless tv boxes? I assume they arent truly wireless because they still need to be plugged in for power
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 04:34 PM   #834
Robotic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Just got my Shaw bill, and noticed it was more than usual. It appears I had a $15 promo end, and no longer getting the discount. What are the chances I can call, and get the promo again?
Robotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 12:57 PM   #835
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
Has anyone tried the new Shaw wireless tv boxes? I assume they arent truly wireless because they still need to be plugged in for power
I cannot speak about the Shaw boxes, but with Telus the wireless has to do with not needing a coax cable nor network cable. Yes, it will still need electrical power. It is handy as I sometimes move my boxes around my house. Telus did install a few repeaters to ensure I had coverage.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2019, 09:55 AM   #836
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotic View Post
Just got my Shaw bill, and noticed it was more than usual. It appears I had a $15 promo end, and no longer getting the discount. What are the chances I can call, and get the promo again?
I'm also at this stage.

Based on the thread, you need to be ready to cancel. In fact, to get a discount you might actually have to set up your alternative ISP before they'll even offer you a good discount!

I've mentioned in this thread before that my Shaw with a hard wired router to my desktop gives me 15mbps and on 5g wireless gives me 25mbps despite me paying for 300mbps. They'll have my ticket history too, so I'm using that as fuel for a discount and threatening to cancel.

God I hate those phone calls and sitting on hold while they transfer you. Or if you do online, you get transferred 3 times before the last person calls you.

#### shaw.

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 11:37 AM   #837
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn't have to threaten anything last time I called, but I'm a fairly long time customer.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 12:12 PM   #838
cupofjoe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Tired of doing the renewal dance, planning to go to Cancom internet, uses Shaw backbone, much easier to contact etc.

75 Mb download is $50 / month, unlimited data, no contract
300 Mb download is $75 / month, unlimited data, no contract

In comparison, the cheapest Non-Contract rate for a Shaw plan is $85 month for 50 Mb download (450 gb data limit)

Loyalty bonus discount of up to 5% (starts at month 13, completely foreign concept to Shaw)
Referral bonus $1 per friend for as long as they are subscribed

It is the same service just lower prices. Overall very positive feedback about the service on Reddit.

IMO, Shaw support chat / voice is utterly broken, wait times are way to long and very inconsistent support.

I have already replaced one of the 'BlueCurve' router setups for a client, IMO it is not a great router. Replace it with a Eero setup, much better speed and coverage with parental controls etc.

Also, I think many people here are getting more internet than they really need. It is really more about the amount of bandwidth you need than speed.

Here is link for a guideline to what you should get.

https://broadbandnow.com/bandwidth-calculator

I live in a 2 person household with heavy use and streaming 4k, mine calculated out to 63 Mb. I planning to get the 75 package.

I will report back in the coming weeks to how it is working.

Last edited by cupofjoe; 10-26-2019 at 12:28 PM.
cupofjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 12:44 PM   #839
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I think it is great idea to go cancom. I have 600mbs and honestly never get that speed ever. I have a top notch router and still only get around 250 mbps max.

Ran the calculation and looks like 75 would be fine.

Thanks for this, always thought the speed numbers now were just for marketing at this point
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OldDutch For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2019, 05:09 PM   #840
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Well now I can complain about my low speeds with my internet 600 for $70/month for the full two years that includes a free upgrade to bluecurve.

No idea how jeep991 got $38/month for a year for the 300 but I'm fine with $70 for the upgrade. Would have taken $70 for the 300 since it's more than enough.

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote