Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2010, 03:23 AM   #541
mrdeeds
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMPunk View Post
Actually they have a couple in Edmonton and a bunch in BC. Going to hit the one up in Kamloops this weekend!
The changed the menu from when I used to go. I remember it was a pretty good hangout for the 18-27 crowd after the bar. Their calamari was boss back in the 90's.
Old 08-01-2010, 05:48 PM   #542
Skate around the circle
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Freaking at the Beacon and the waitresses in the wee skirts at the Highlander.
Skate around the circle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Skate around the circle For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2010, 10:25 AM   #543
HHW
Farm Team Player

Exp:

- South Centre mall when it was still all dingy, with the orange floor tiles and zero natural light.. There was a hobby shop right by the entrance, which had piles of plastic models - "Little Generals", I believe.

- McLeod mall, which was eternally dingy. They used to have hamster races (in those plastic bubbles), back when Hammy Hamster was a phenomena.

-The information channel - #4, IIRC. Looked like someone's C64 hooked up to the TV. There were the three bands - green, red, blue, for headlines, news, and weather information. The news text would appear at about 2 characters per second. When I was too young to stay up, and when the Herald still came in the afternoon, I used to check that channel in the morning for the hockey scores.
HHW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HHW For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2010, 10:30 AM   #544
HHW
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Oh, and several of you mentioned the Den. I remember how the carpet was nice and spongy, undoubtedly it contained every fluid found in the human body. After the debauchery on Thursday, they would open up the doors on Friday mornings around 1100h, and all of Mac Hall would smell nice and funky.

Loved that place.
HHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 10:42 AM   #545
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Bernard Callebeaut.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2010, 10:45 AM   #546
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHW View Post
- South Centre mall when it was still all dingy, with the orange floor tiles and zero natural light.. There was a hobby shop right by the entrance, which had piles of plastic models - "Little Generals", I believe.

- McLeod mall, which was eternally dingy. They used to have hamster races (in those plastic bubbles), back when Hammy Hamster was a phenomena.

-The information channel - #4, IIRC. Looked like someone's C64 hooked up to the TV. There were the three bands - green, red, blue, for headlines, news, and weather information. The news text would appear at about 2 characters per second. When I was too young to stay up, and when the Herald still came in the afternoon, I used to check that channel in the morning for the hockey scores.
I wouldn't say I miss any of those things, but I definitely remember all three.

The original Southcentre Food Court was the darkest and dreariest place you've ever seen. You'd go get your food while someone went and grabbed a seat, and they'd have to yell out at you to get your attention because you couldn't see them in the darkness.

The walk between the Woolco and the Safeway in the Macleod Mall was also depressing. I can't imagine any business actually being successful in there.

Good old channel 4. Because that was the channel CFCN's over the air broadcasts were on, they had to put garbage on the channel because of the interference (the same reason channel 9 never had any decent content and channel 2 was given to PBS). There were many days where if a game wasn't televised, and you didn't want to go turn on the radio, you'd have to sit and wait for the hockey scores to cycle by to find out the score.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:45 AM   #547
SilverGS
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Hi-Lo Restaurant on Motel Lane. Had great Peking Duck
SilverGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 10:50 AM   #548
Rerun
Often Thinks About Pickles

Exp:

Probably already been mentioned.... but....

The Coral 4 Drive-In Theater and the 17th Ave Drive-In Theater.

I miss drive-in theaters. Lots of good times.
Rerun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 11:39 AM   #549
CKPThunder
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I vaguely recall the Stampede Drive-In near Memorial and Barlow. I always remembered seeing everytime we drove down Memorial Drive.
CKPThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 11:46 AM   #550
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
Wow, that born to be alive video is definitely, without doubt one of the best music videos I've ever seen. It would definitely get my vote.
Since its 1978 release, "Born to Be Alive" has sold more than 800,000 units annually under various forms and compilations globally, and it has brought in more than 25 million dollars worldwide [wikipedia]
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 11:52 AM   #551
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
I owned this record - don't know what happened to it:

believe it or not I found it!

was in Inglewood last weekend and one of the used everything stores was selling some records and this one was in there....3 bucks I think
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to looooob For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2010, 01:26 PM   #552
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here's one that always cracked me up...Remember UNG Video on Edmonton Trail?

It began its life as a gun store and had a huge neon sign in front that said "GUN". After the government made it a lot harder to buy guns in this country, the gun shop closed down. The new owners turned it into a video store, and rather than either tearing down the sign, or calling their new store "GUN Video", they rearranged the letters, and UNG Video was born.

I don't know when it was torn down, but it's now just an empty lot on the corner of Edmonton Trail and 12th Ave.

Sadly, Google Images has no results for it, if you search "ung video calgary", you get a lot of photos of Asian people, and one of Olli Jokinen.
Old 08-06-2010, 01:48 PM   #553
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Sadly, Google Images has no results for it, if you search "ung video calgary", you get a lot of photos of Asian people, and one of Olli Jokinen.
Try this: http://books.google.ca/books?id=1r-k...algary&f=false
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2010, 01:52 PM   #554
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGS View Post
Hi-Lo Restaurant on Motel Lane. Had great Peking Duck
It was Hi Ho. Now it's some lame bar and slots place. This is kind of wierd but it also had good grilled cheese sandwiches and fish & chips...along with the Peking Duck.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 01:53 PM   #555
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
It should have been gnu video
Old 08-06-2010, 01:57 PM   #556
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

That book is great. It's full of the lesser-known history of Calgary. I'd like to see an updated edition.

DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 02:01 PM   #557
smoothpops
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

the palace!! flames central doesnt do that place justice
smoothpops is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to smoothpops For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2010, 02:21 PM   #558
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
Yeah, I did actually find that, but I was looking for just an image to post and thought it was funny that the results were just a bunch of Asian people and one random photo of Jokinen.
Old 08-06-2010, 04:53 PM   #559
krazycanuck
Won the Worst Son Ever Award

Exp:

Anyone remember the 2&7 treasure hunt (or something to that effect) at Stampede? All I remember about it, was being in a tent and playing some computer trivia game on tv shows to win stuff.

Another Stampede classic growing up was the safeway kidz tent. A bunch of games like bean bag toss were in there...and you'd basically win the same kind of toys you got from the dentist.

For anyone who went to Stamps games in the late 80s/early 90s. How about "the Bleacher Creature" Guy painted his whole self red, and banged a drum in one of the low rows of the stadium. Whatever happened to him?

I also remember this guy who used to hang out behind the outfield fence at Foothills stadium, to catch home run balls. I think the Herald did a story on him in '91 or '92 and one time I saw him get off the c-train at Marlborough. I thought he was a celebrity.

Also, when the show Rescue 911 did a story of something in Calgary...the whole city talked about it.

Last edited by krazycanuck; 08-06-2010 at 04:56 PM.
krazycanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 05:09 PM   #560
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazycanuck View Post

For anyone who went to Stamps games in the late 80s/early 90s. How about "the Bleacher Creature" Guy painted his whole self red, and banged a drum in one of the low rows of the stadium. Whatever happened to him?

I seem to recall he was battling cancer at one point - and in fact may have died.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a ringa ding dong dandy , a simpler time