Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2018, 10:17 PM   #61
Niemo
Scoring Winger

Exp:

These numbers being thrown around seem very high. Hanifin and Lindholm have potential to improve a lot on what they've shown, but I'd argue that they havent shown enough for contracts north of 5MM.

Hanifin has a very high ceiling, but so far he's been slightly below average defensively with 32 pts.

Lindholm has been good all around, but again, he hasn't topped 45 points or 20 goals yet.

I would do 4.75MM for 6 years on Lindholm and 4MM on 3 years for Hanifin.
Niemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 10:19 PM   #62
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Off Topic but related. Can Tkachuk be signed this summer to an extension?
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 10:20 PM   #63
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
Off Topic but related. Can Tkachuk be signed this summer to an extension?
yup....after July 1.
Old 06-25-2018, 10:27 PM   #64
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can't see them extending Chucky yet. It'd be nice for peace of mind, but it doesn't seem to be how Treliving operates with young RFA's.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 10:38 PM   #65
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Can't see them extending Chucky yet. It'd be nice for peace of mind, but it doesn't seem to be how Treliving operates with young RFA's.
Could save them a bunch to try and sign all 3 and have a presser. Maybe a good way to get Tkachuk in at a reasonable price.
Old 06-25-2018, 10:39 PM   #66
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
yup....after July 1.
Really hope it gets done before the season starts.
Old 06-25-2018, 10:47 PM   #67
Chingas
First Line Centre

Exp:

This thread is an interesting summary of people's thoughts about the two new players. In my mind Hanifin is the most important player coming back and will probably make more, while others have Lindholm at a higher hit.

Is there a consensus on who is the more valuable addition? To me it seems that opinions vary almost 50-50, so does that mean that the return on the trade is likely higher than first thought by many because half of us are under valuing one of the new guys? Or does it mean the opposite?
Old 06-25-2018, 10:54 PM   #68
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:
Default The New Flames RFA Contracts (Lindholm and Hanifin)

Quote:
Could save them a bunch to try and sign all 3 and have a presser. Maybe a good way to get Tkachuk in at a reasonable price.
I seriously doubt that Tkachuk would have any interest in opening negotiations before the end of the season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 10:55 PM   #69
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingas View Post
This thread is an interesting summary of people's thoughts about the two new players. In my mind Hanifin is the most important player coming back and will probably make more, while others have Lindholm at a higher hit.

Is there a consensus on who is the more valuable addition? To me it seems that opinions vary almost 50-50, so does that mean that the return on the trade is likely higher than first thought by many because half of us are under valuing one of the new guys? Or does it mean the opposite?
Personally, Lindholm is the key piece. People are deep diving into the numbers and coming up underwhelmed and not forming a positive out look.

What I've seen and what everyone knows about Lindholm is the term "Cerebral".

My sell to the uncertain fans about him is this. His vision, positioning and ability to see a play develop and get to the spot where the puck will eventually end up is top tier. Many times I've noticed that Johnny has to slow his playmaking down for other players to catch up.

I feel that....I feel Lindholm is going to be the mind that sees the crazy creativity johnny is creating with the puck and something special is going to happen. Many times Johnny would make any sort of pass to Ferland and Ferlands just completely missed it. We won't see that with Lindholm.

Hanafin is a rising D man like Dougie was when we traded for him. Just LHD. He should fare very well this year.
Old 06-25-2018, 10:56 PM   #70
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I seriously doubt that Tkachuk would have any interest in opening negotiations before the end of the season. He expects to earn a big raise this year.
I think your probably right
Old 06-25-2018, 10:59 PM   #71
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
This thread is an interesting summary of people's thoughts about the two new players. In my mind Hanifin is the most important player coming back and will probably make more, while others have Lindholm at a higher hit...

Hanifin will be signing his second contract while Lindholm is entering his third, and he has arbitration rights. Those factors mean that Lindholm’s deal will likely be more expensive.

Quote:
Old 06-25-2018, 11:00 PM   #72
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm confused, are you suggesting that signing all three now will save them a bunch of money on the contracts, that getting a 3 for 1 on only having to do a single presser will save them on press conference costs, or both?
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 11:02 PM   #73
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

I think it's too early to say the return is higher than first thought. Both teams need to play games and the players in the deal need to show what they are capable of.. Hanifin and Lindholm have a slight edge as they have played for Peters before so you might see the payoff on those two quicker.

I'm curious to see what role Ferland has, I guarantee it won't be on the first line. Therefore I expect his goals to drop off next year. I am curious to see who plays with Hamilton, and bails him out when he makes bad decisions like Gio did many times the past two seasons.
Old 06-25-2018, 11:03 PM   #74
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Steam Whistle View Post
I'm confused, are you suggesting that signing all three now will save them a bunch of money on the contracts, that getting a 3 for 1 on only having to do a single presser will save them on press conference costs, or both?
I'm kind of thinking that if they sign the 2 new guys in the 4.75-5 over term that Tkachuk may sign for term at 6ish. Really it's not likely, but they are in an age group together
Old 06-25-2018, 11:15 PM   #75
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
I'm kind of thinking that if they sign the 2 new guys in the 4.75-5 over term that Tkachuk may sign for term at 6ish. Really it's not likely, but they are in an age group together
Tkachuk is not signing a contract in July. Not coming off of an injury shortened season. He will be in a much stronger negotiating position with the Flames next Spring the he is today, and he knows that.

Quote:
Old 06-25-2018, 11:26 PM   #76
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
For Hanifin I give him 7 years, 4.285 million per for an even 30 million

For Lindholm I go 6 x 4.75

Hanifin will get quite a bit more than that, unless it’s a bridge deal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 11:57 PM   #77
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

The numbers are going to be higher than we’d like I imagine.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 12:21 AM   #78
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hanifin and Lindholm might both get bridge deals, but if not, the max Treliving is going to sign them for is 6 years. Probably 5 if I was to guess.

5x4.75 for Lindholm
5x5.25 for Hanifin

I do think that Hanifin will command more - just looking at the Hamilton contract. He may slide-in a bit cheaper (as I have guessed), or he may come very close either under or above. I think the Flames lock them both up for 5 years though.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 03:38 AM   #79
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Tkachuk is not signing a contract in July. Not coming off of an injury shortened season. He will be in a much stronger negotiating position with the Flames next Spring the he is today, and he knows that.
The injury he is coming off of is a concussion. That’s the one injury that might make a guy think long and hard about locking in for long term security. You are most likely correct though, and he will wait.
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 05:01 AM   #80
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
Hanifin and Lindholm might both get bridge deals, but if not, the max Treliving is going to sign them for is 6 years. Probably 5 if I was to guess.

5x4.75 for Lindholm
5x5.25 for Hanifin

I do think that Hanifin will command more - just looking at the Hamilton contract. He may slide-in a bit cheaper (as I have guessed), or he may come very close either under or above. I think the Flames lock them both up for 5 years though.
Players like Johnny signed only a 6-year contract because that was his choice. The Flames would have loved to lock him up for 2 more additional years, even with a higher cap hit. But players want to become UFA's sooner,and at a younger age, so they maximize that last 8 year contract at a time when they are not seen as regressing.

The length of the term for Hannifin will depend largely on how many years he'll commit to. What I mean by that, it's not just Tre telling him how many years the Flames are willing commit to. It cuts both ways. Going year to year will eventually bite the Flames. If Hanifin wants a 7 year contract, the Flames should jump at the chance to get him signed during his premium years. But it will cost them.

Last edited by The Cobra; 06-26-2018 at 07:48 AM.
The Cobra is online now   Reply With Quote