Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2021, 09:11 PM   #61
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
I agree. I get that the guy makes a lot of money but really, he's not obligated in any way to pick up your tab.
Obviously he isnt obligated but who wouldn't think it was an honor to pick up the tab? I ended up getting consigned to a back table at a Remembrance Day dinner where I was driving an old veteran around, an old Chinese gent (easily in his 80's) came late and they sat him with me, as we're talking I notice amongst his rack of medals is the Burma Star and his cap badge is SAS, he was one of a rarefied few Chinese Canadians recruited to join the SAS and parachute into the Burmese jungle and do very very bad things to the Japanese, of course I asked if I could cover our tab, who wouldnt? he, and those Seals are the most badass humans you'll ever meet!!
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2021, 09:12 PM   #62
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I agree. I get that the guy makes a lot of money but really, he's not obligated in any way to pick up your tab.
If he had just gone out to lunch with them at that was it, sure

But they were helping him and training him, at no cost, for a while at that point
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 09:23 PM   #63
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
If he had just gone out to lunch with them at that was it, sure

But they were helping him and training him, at no cost, for a while at that point
I don’t know. The amount of guys in that picture is quite a bit.

Maybe it’s my poor experience but after spending a year slogging with some bosses, we go to Christmas dinner and sometimes the boss wouldn’t pay. This would be for under 10 people. Internally I felt it was cheap, but I wouldn’t spread that to the world. This guy spent a day with them where they probably got as much a kick out of it as him. There just shouldn’t have been any expectations from anyone and everyone would come away happy. When I look at the size of that group, and knowing the appetites I’m sure they weren’t eating salad and drinking waters. Was it Tiger taking them to dinner or was it just a dinner? Something about the navy seal calling him weird as a result of him not paying rubs me the wrong way in all this.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 10:48 PM   #64
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1364447580520738820
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 11:00 PM   #65
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If I was a celeb with money out with people I'm not dating nor related to, I wouldn't automatically assume that I'm picking up the tab for them. Whenever I go out with my friends we split it too. From afar it looks like he should've offered, but who is thinking when out at a casual dinner probably having banter and good discussion "well this person probably makes x amount and because of the nature of their job and my status they shouldn't have to pay for their meal with me"... just such an awkward line of thought. It's also awkward that they were assuming he was covering while he may not even have been thinking about it at all not having to be concerned about such things normally. Do we know they were doing the training as a favor for them? Or was he already compensating them for that in some way that isn't mentioned? Maybe he was.

Thing is never take people at their word when they rip on someone's character unless you know all details to the story. People tend to pick out the bits that make it look a certain way, but often we don't know what was going through the mind of the other person. And people will rarely accuse others of things unless they share that quality in themselves in some way. Just how it is.

Celebs are just easy targets to pick on when they're just as flawed or sometimes unaware of what they're doing even though they might be well meaning like the rest of us.

#### I've done many things in life where I meant well but probably came across as a dick or inconsiderate cause I just wasn't being self aware at the time and caught up in the moment. I think it says a lot about a person though when they hold something you didn't do against you well after because of their personal expectations that you knew nothing about, rather than something you did do, which you at least had some cognitive awareness of, no?

Anyways lol.

Last edited by djsFlames; 02-23-2021 at 11:08 PM.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2021, 11:05 PM   #66
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sportsnet panel was getting choked up talking about it...really?
Old 02-23-2021, 11:24 PM   #67
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
His career is likely done. He will live in pain for the remainder of his life. Walking the course will be difficult to do as a pro.

He does have enough money to throw at the best doctors and rehab so, maybe but it will be very difficult.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 12:00 AM   #68
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
If I was a celeb with money out with people I'm not dating nor related to, I wouldn't automatically assume that I'm picking up the tab for them. Whenever I go out with my friends we split it too. From afar it looks like he should've offered, but who is thinking when out at a casual dinner probably having banter and good discussion "well this person probably makes x amount and because of the nature of their job and my status they shouldn't have to pay for their meal with me"... just such an awkward line of thought. It's also awkward that they were assuming he was covering while he may not even have been thinking about it at all not having to be concerned about such things normally. Do we know they were doing the training as a favor for them? Or was he already compensating them for that in some way that isn't mentioned? Maybe he was.

Thing is never take people at their word when they rip on someone's character unless you know all details to the story. People tend to pick out the bits that make it look a certain way, but often we don't know what was going through the mind of the other person. And people will rarely accuse others of things unless they share that quality in themselves in some way. Just how it is.

Celebs are just easy targets to pick on when they're just as flawed or sometimes unaware of what they're doing even though they might be well meaning like the rest of us.

#### I've done many things in life where I meant well but probably came across as a dick or inconsiderate cause I just wasn't being self aware at the time and caught up in the moment. I think it says a lot about a person though when they hold something you didn't do against you well after because of their personal expectations that you knew nothing about, rather than something you did do, which you at least had some cognitive awareness of, no?

Anyways lol.
While I would agree it may just have been an oversight or brain fart on Wood's part there are certain groups that someone in his position, utterly filthy stinking rich beyond the dreams of avarice, if he is out with cops firemen, the military, nurses etc, he should be picking up the tab, we all should but most of us are not in the position to afford to, he is.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2021, 12:20 AM   #69
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
His career is likely done. He will live in pain for the remainder of his life. Walking the course will be difficult to do as a pro.

He does have enough money to throw at the best doctors and rehab so, maybe but it will be very difficult.
His career is likely done, but it was on life support with his other injuries as it was.

However, I think the notion of him having trouble walking a course is pretty out there. He’s a highly trained athlete with the best in medicine at his disposal. A friend of mine had a similar injury, absolutely destroyed his ankle and low leg. Plates, rods, screws, multiple surgeries, the whole deal. Months in the hospital. Recovery took forever, it still bothers him from time to time, but he can work out, walk an hour each way to and from work, play hockey, etc.

Tiger will be fine. If anything, hopefully this acts as a blessing as gets him to stop chasing greatness, and just enjoy the sport with his family.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2021, 01:36 AM   #70
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
His career is likely done, but it was on life support with his other injuries as it was.

However, I think the notion of him having trouble walking a course is pretty out there. He’s a highly trained athlete with the best in medicine at his disposal. A friend of mine had a similar injury, absolutely destroyed his ankle and low leg. Plates, rods, screws, multiple surgeries, the whole deal. Months in the hospital. Recovery took forever, it still bothers him from time to time, but he can work out, walk an hour each way to and from work, play hockey, etc.

Tiger will be fine. If anything, hopefully this acts as a blessing as gets him to stop chasing greatness, and just enjoy the sport with his family.
Hard to say.

One thing going for him is that he has the financial freedom to live anywhere warm. A friend of mine has some metal in his leg and when it gets cold, it can cause him a lot of issues. It's his femur though.
Old 02-24-2021, 06:42 AM   #71
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Tiger wants to actually come back and play then I imagine the PGA Tour will do whatever it takes to make it happen, including allowing him to use a cart. Any other player and the other guys on tour would revolt, but given the idol worship they have for Tiger is unlike anything in any other sport, and given how much he means to TV ratings, I would guess they'll bend over backwards to try and get him back out there.
Old 02-24-2021, 06:50 AM   #72
TheKiprusoffResurrection
Farm Team Player

Exp:

If his legs don't work well enough to walk 18 then they will definitely not be working well enough for him to play competitive golf. Not really possible to have a proper swing with your lower body compromised, let alone a Tiger Woods swing!
TheKiprusoffResurrection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 06:56 AM   #73
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

I never thought Tiger would have been the kind of guy to migrate to the seniors tour when he turned 50 so these last five years would have likely been the last chance to see Tiger in competition form. I hope I'm wrong. Despite his personal problems there's never been an athlete that has captivated me like Tiger Woods.
Old 02-24-2021, 07:13 AM   #74
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Like the rest of us Tiger is not perfect but I support all my fellow Raiders fans and hope he can get to the point where he can live a pain free life one day.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 08:20 AM   #75
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Not that I care either way but apparently those guys donated a lot of time to help him train.

A regular Joe should at least buy them dinner, never mind someone who is worth several hundred million.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 08:47 AM   #76
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Clearly Tiger doesn't need to work on his putting....... driving is his weak point.
rotten42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 08:51 AM   #77
Titan2
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Sounds like Tiger has a shattered ankle and two broken legs. With that and his existing back issues I doubt he ever plays on the PGA Tour again. It seems improbable that he will ever be able to develop a swing that would be capable of competing on the tour.
While I agree completely, of all people on the planet, I would bet on this guy.

Also agree it is tacky to bring up irrelevant stories from his past while he is lying in the hospital bed.
Titan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 08:54 AM   #78
Titan2
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
If Tiger wants to actually come back and play then I imagine the PGA Tour will do whatever it takes to make it happen, including allowing him to use a cart. Any other player and the other guys on tour would revolt, but given the idol worship they have for Tiger is unlike anything in any other sport, and given how much he means to TV ratings, I would guess they'll bend over backwards to try and get him back out there.
Can you imagine the numbers for his return? It would be astounding appointment television.

Plus, bones heal. Not like he lost his legs. Absolutely not saying it will be easy or likely but...
Titan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 09:33 AM   #79
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post

If he can't walk 18 how on earth would he have enough in him to put even a respectable weekend of golf in?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 09:57 AM   #80
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

I knew someone who had a bad leg break and ended up with one leg just a bit longer than the other, which caused back issues and pain in normal day to day life.

I assume he has the best care possible so something like this would be unlikely but walking a course and all the mechanics of a golf swing, this seems like a very tall mountain to overcome at this stage of his life and career with his already present health issues.

I'm sure right now he will just be happy to walk again, but I would not rule out at least one pro appearance before he retires. Even on a bad day he could probably par the course with a 7 iron.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote