Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2019, 08:45 PM   #961
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's too bad they weren't able to get anything against that ######bag Bauer. Though they might have if Rivera didn't have another brain fart.
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 11:06 PM   #962
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

I think Smoak is an ideal candidate to have around. Insanely cheap, decent at bats, decent defence and likely doesn’t bring much back in a trade.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to flames_fan_down_under For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2019, 10:24 AM   #963
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ugh. Stroman starting tonight apparently.

Playing with fire.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 07:02 PM   #964
flamingred89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another great start by Stroman. I’m probably in the minority but I hope the Jays hang on to him. Stroman, Smoak, and reclamation Sanchez, are the veterans I’m hanging on to for the 2021 run.
flamingred89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 07:39 PM   #965
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

I’d keep Stro all day long. I’m still not sure why he’s probably getting moved. He’s young, he’s good, he loves T.O. Good luck replacing that.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2019, 07:45 PM   #966
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
I’d keep Stro all day long. I’m still not sure why he’s probably getting moved. He’s young, he’s good, he loves T.O. Good luck replacing that.
It's almost like Atkins wants to rid the team of any association to the 2015 team so he can make it his team.
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inferno For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2019, 08:28 PM   #967
flamingred89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Which is infuriating. There’s also reports of AA not wanting to deal with the Jays due to the Shatkins rift. Keep that childish stuff out of baseball.

Sign Stroman to 5 years ~100 mill and reward good athletes who want to stay in Canada. There’s not many of them out there. And show the stud kids that the Jays want to win sooner than later.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to flamingred89 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2019, 11:18 PM   #968
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
Because it’s time to pay him and Rogers will have none of that.

I just shook my head after the game when they were interviewing Stroman and he said management has made zero effort to resign him so he’s resigned himself to moving on.

I have a real hard time supporting this team anymore. I may be done with baseball until Montreal gets a team back. Toronto is just too frustrating.

Last edited by TheAlpineOracle; 07-24-2019 at 11:29 PM.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheAlpineOracle For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2019, 11:59 PM   #969
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingred89 View Post
Which is infuriating. There’s also reports of AA not wanting to deal with the Jays due to the Shatkins rift. Keep that childish stuff out of baseball.

Sign Stroman to 5 years ~100 mill and reward good athletes who want to stay in Canada. There’s not many of them out there. And show the stud kids that the Jays want to win sooner than later.
Yep. It's just hard to believe this management group is intent on winning.

It just seems so obvious to hold onto Stroman, and maybe generate a shred of goodwill with a fanbase that for a lot of good reasons think that Atkins and Shapiro are incompetent.

We have a really bad team, who desperately needs good starting pitching and doesn't have much in the pipeline for starting pitchers. AND We have a really good pitcher, who wants to be in Toronto and also actually plays for the Jays right now. So we what do we do? Try to trade him. Anyone you trade Stroman for is more than likely not going to be as good as Stroman. I know they're hoping for a Chris Archer type return, which would be fantastic, but for every trade like that there are a thousand Cliff Lee (Seattle to Texas)/Roy Halladay (Toronto to Philly) type returns as well. Stroman JUST turned 28 and is showing no signs of slowing down. PAY THIS MAN!
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 03:06 PM   #970
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tulo officially retired today
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 03:27 PM   #971
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Holy crow... doesn't that give the Jays like 20 million dollars? Not sure how it works in baseball but you don't get paid your salary in any other sports after you formally retire and the Jays stil owe him 14 mil next year and the pro-rated portion of 19 mil this year.

Wonder why he wouldn't stay on IR and just collect the wage. Or maybe in baseball there's some weird rule where he can retire and still draw a salary?

*Edit* People on twitter saying no the Jays still owe him his salary. What a ridiculous system where someone retires and still gets paid to do nothing.

Last edited by Matty81; 07-25-2019 at 03:48 PM.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 05:11 PM   #972
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Well, the Jays literally decided it was better to pay him to not be there, so what he does afterward probably shouldn't matter much.

But lets put it this way: if he's going to lose out on $25 million, he's not signing his retirement paperwork anyway.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 05:41 PM   #973
flamingred89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Happy trails Tulo. He definitely brought the swagger that helped propel the 2015 team but his tenure with the Jay's was less than stellar. And his general grumpiness was definitely a factor in the Jay's paying him to go away.
Old 07-25-2019, 10:00 PM   #974
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

I liked Tulo and what his trade meant. And they got out from under Jose Reyes. And he was solid defensivly, though his bat went cold a bit too often especially in the playoffs.

He seems like a bit of a stubborn guy and cranky in his demeanor, but let's remember who in upper management he had to deal with basically as soon as he got traded for, because aftet that trade, it wasn't long before Shapiro awkwardly got announced for the next season while there was still a GM.

Given his salary, the new guys in the office were probably all over him for the next two seasons. And they liley had all the players looking over their shoulder, from EE to JB to Gibby, and of course Donaldson. When he got his bone spurs in his foot, I am sure Dumb and Dumber were checking in weekly with his injury, not out of compassion but for when he could get back to increase his trade value.

It's a business and he had to go, as did others, but there are ways of doing it with tact and class. I don't think there's been one Jay that's departed under the new regime that has had complimentary things to say about the two phonies that smile for the camera like Aikins and Shapiro do, nor Rogers itself.

Last edited by browna; 07-25-2019 at 10:02 PM.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 12:11 PM   #975
flamingred89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Reports yesterday of the Jays possibly extending Stroman. Today Stroman refutes those claims. Why does it seem like this management team makes a mess of every asset? You don’t often hear of other teams jerking their stars around like this. So ridiculous.
Old 07-26-2019, 12:31 PM   #976
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingred89 View Post
Reports yesterday of the Jays possibly extending Stroman. Today Stroman refutes those claims. Why does it seem like this management team makes a mess of every asset? You don’t often hear of other teams jerking their stars around like this. So ridiculous.
Reports by ownership controlled media? Just an attempt to show that they try. This ownership group is such bush league. Not many players want to play in Canada (Case in point Leonard and Raptors), so why can't you stick with those who do, and are solid players. Stroman has many years of pitching ahead of him.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 01:10 PM   #977
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Actually, the reports generally had no idea if the Jays were seriously considering extending Stroman or if it was a negotiating tactic in trade talks.

Regardless, even if there are extension talks happening, it makes perfect sense for both the player and team to deny at this point until a deal actually happens. No sense setting everyone up for disappointment if negotiations fall through.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 02:14 PM   #978
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

This organization is a ####ing clown show. Good on Stroman for getting ahead of the inevitable Rogers “hey, we tried” BS.

Last edited by TheAlpineOracle; 07-26-2019 at 02:29 PM.
Old 07-26-2019, 03:42 PM   #979
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I dunno. I'm giving the org the benefit of the doubt right now.

If they haven't built a strong winning team by 2021, then I will climb aboard the Shatkins lynching wagon.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2019, 06:31 PM   #980
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
I dunno. I'm giving the org the benefit of the doubt right now.

If they haven't built a strong winning team by 2021, then I will climb aboard the Shatkins lynching wagon.
What have they done to give them the benefit of the doubt?
The Following User Says Thank You to TheAlpineOracle For This Useful Post: