Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2019, 05:56 PM   #741
flamingred89
Franchise Player

Exp:

And I can’t disagree with you on that either haha. I just feel that he still has more upside than any possible return for him at this point.
flamingred89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 06:06 PM   #742
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sitting here watching yet another dismal Jays game and my power cuts out just long enough for me to miss Tellez smash a 3 run dinger.

Like seriously.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 06:29 PM   #743
flamingred89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ha. Trout with the grand slam.
flamingred89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 06:42 PM   #744
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I could watch Biggio bat all day long.

I wish the rest of the line up had a fraction of his plate discipline and patience.
Old 06-19-2019, 07:48 PM   #745
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

This team is embarrassing.

Perfect double play grounder right back to the pitcher and Law looks like an 8 year old whipping the ball into CF missing the mark by a bloody mile.

Idiots are nearly unwatchable
Old 06-19-2019, 08:08 PM   #746
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

GrichuKKK

Strike out much bud?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2019, 08:18 PM   #747
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Have you tried not watching?
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 08:20 PM   #748
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I personally don't mind the losing. What I do hope for behind the scenes is that each player is getting the right coaching about their approach and strategy. While we don't see that, I don't think we've seen any discipline at the plate from many of the young guys, and that's the concern to me. Knowing that agents get irritated when the team doesn't have that light at the end of the tunnel has me concerned that if this team isn't better fast (end of next year), Guerrero's agent may come knocking to push for a trade. In the meantime I can only hope they're getting some plate advice.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 08:21 PM   #749
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelVarnsen View Post
Have you tried not watching?
Sometimes lol

Tellez with another dinger
Old 06-19-2019, 08:37 PM   #750
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

7 RBI for Trout. He's ok, I guess.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 08:45 PM   #751
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingred89 View Post
And I can’t disagree with you on that either haha. I just feel that he still has more upside than any possible return for him at this point.
Should be moved to the pen at this point
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 08:56 PM   #752
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm ready for robo umps because these idiots and their terrible strike zones are just as bad as the Jays are.

Grichuk Ks enough on his own without help from some dummy who just wants to go to the dressing room and scratch his nuts.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:56 PM   #753
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

I think Boras is going to fire Sanchez.
Old 06-19-2019, 09:04 PM   #754
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_fan_down_under View Post
Which is why I think holding on to Stroman makes sense. Of course they will trade him, and in a couple years be looking for a pitcher with exactly Stroman's profile.
The guy preaches how much he loves the city and team and how he wants to sign a long term deal. Players like that are the ones you should want to keep during a rebuild. And I have no faith at all that Atkins would get fair value for him and would set the team's pitching even further back.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inferno For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2019, 09:31 PM   #755
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_fan_down_under View Post
Which is why I think holding on to Stroman makes sense. Of course they will trade him, and in a couple years be looking for a pitcher with exactly Stroman's profile.
He's not really an elite arm he's a solid #3... which is fine. I get the rationale behind both signing him to an extension and trading him. I mean the Jay's are looking for someone who will be great in 2021-2024. That's a long time to hope that Stroman's health and performance stays good. But that risk isn't really much more then the risk that whatever they get for him busts or blows something out.

In the end I hope they extend him (which they won't) because I'd like that 1 day out of 5 where I know we probably aren't getting #### pitching in the meantime.

Also: We should move Sanchez to the bullpen. If he's gonna be ass as a starter we may as well move him to the pen and showcase what he can do there pre-non-waiver deadline.

Last edited by Parallex; 06-19-2019 at 09:34 PM.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Parallex For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2019, 08:42 AM   #756
cross16
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I view Stroman more as a good 3 too as opposed to a guy who leads a staff. I think his value to fans is greater because outside of Thornton he's the only starting caliber pitcher they currently have on the roster.

For me, he isn't a guy you pay 20mill or more a year when you are starting a rebuild. I'm not of the belief he's going to net a haul but he should net 1 very good to upper end prospect and 2 decent to good ones. For a team just starting a rebuild that is a bet i'd make personally.
cross16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 10:10 AM   #757
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cross16 View Post
I view Stroman more as a good 3 too as opposed to a guy who leads a staff. I think his value to fans is greater because outside of Thornton he's the only starting caliber pitcher they currently have on the roster.
... and I see Thornton as a backend starter personally (doesn't get deep enough into the game to be a mid-top rotation guy). Every rotation needs those MLB calibre backend guy's but the problem is that when I look at the Jays near term pitching I see Thornton, Borucki, Zeuch, Reid-Foley... Reid-Foley should be moved to the Bullpen, Borucki & Zeuch can eat innings but but don't K guy's enough to be more then backend starters. Sure we have Pearson and now Manoah who have big big stuff but they're still just prospects and prospects are notorious heart-breakers.

We need more elite stuff guys in the system otherwise the rotation will be a major drag on payroll and prospect capital when the bats are primed for success.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 11:04 AM   #758
cross16
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
... and I see Thornton as a backend starter personally (doesn't get deep enough into the game to be a mid-top rotation guy). Every rotation needs those MLB calibre backend guy's but the problem is that when I look at the Jays near term pitching I see Thornton, Borucki, Zeuch, Reid-Foley... Reid-Foley should be moved to the Bullpen, Borucki & Zeuch can eat innings but but don't K guy's enough to be more then backend starters. Sure we have Pearson and now Manoah who have big big stuff but they're still just prospects and prospects are notorious heart-breakers.

We need more elite stuff guys in the system otherwise the rotation will be a major drag on payroll and prospect capital when the bats are primed for success.
I don't disagree with any of this, Thornton too. I don't think he's worth getting excited about and that comment more just speaks to the lack of quality SP the Jays have right now as opposed to his upside.

At this point I just view it as smarter to try and use Stroman to get those pieces rather then keep him and likely overpay him when he isn't that type of asset himself. It's a risk but one I think is necessary to take especially given the Jays started this rebuild with so few assets and so few trade chips they could use to try and get those assets.
cross16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 05:29 PM   #759
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jays need one of Pearson or Manoah to become a front line starter in the next couple seasons.

Then in the next couple of seasons they need one of Kloffenstein, Williams or Pardhino to do the same.

If that happens they will be fine starter wise I think.

There always seems to be an ace on the market as well for a contending team to pluck, and if the Jays maintain a top 5-ish farm system they will have lots of ammo to trade for a starter like the way the Astros did with Verlander, or the Red Sox did with Sale.
Old 06-20-2019, 06:04 PM   #760
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Kawhi just showed up at the jays game! He is still in TO.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1141860328432701445

Last edited by flames_fan_down_under; 06-20-2019 at 06:15 PM.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote