Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-17-2016, 11:36 AM   #41
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I loved it! Wow what a great time. Hilarious and the action was well done. I don't think Ryan Reynolds has been that funny since Van Wilder?

I really liked everything about it but now that I read some of your posts, I guess they could have gone more in depth about what exactly his powers are and why he is able to break the fourth wall but in all honesty, maybe it just didn't fit in with the script? As someone who hasn't read the comics I really wouldn't want them to change anything in the movie.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 04:51 PM   #42
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Ok so I wasn't sure if that line was just something they were doing for every release in every province/state, changing the line to the capital, or if that was legit.

Now that I know it was legit I should have been laughing harder than I was, well played Reynolds well played. The Saskatoon theater crowd was caught off guard but it got a good laugh.. few boos. Does anyone know the origin of that joke? So many people have made that Regina-Vagina connection it is just so old, when the stones came here in 2006 Jagger was up on stage said something about loving the name Regina.. because it rhymes with... fun. Apparently that started a new joke that every comedian that stopped there has since used. I may have gotten that wrong as I try not to pay attention to Edmonton Junior, so someone can correct me if I am wrong.
Origin of it? There is no origin, it's just a simple obvious easy joke. Children have been making the Regina Vagina connection since forever, because it's easy they rhythm.

Which was my problem with the vast majority of humour in the movie, it was forced, easy, lame, childish. Simple simple simple. I don't mind simple but don't be overly stupid about it. Have fart joke, have sex jokes but don't have the most rehashed stuff. Don't put a high inflection in your voice, say something sarcastic and expect it to be funny. Ryan Reynolds is garbage. I actually rolled my eyes at people overreacting to some of the jokes, the ones used constantly in trailers and commercials, these idiots are still laughing at some of those lines, oooo edgy. Morons.

It was okay though. The action was good, the X-Girl with the cool X-Men yellow costume was fun. Gina Caranno was slightly less wooden then I've seen her before so that's a plus.

Could be more upset because some balding Tarantino-looking on the spectrum mid20's can't give up his youth overweight nerd was literally dancing, full out, during the final credits. The bright green way too tight ninja turtles hoodie was the icing on the autistic cake. Even his friends in the furry hoodies were embarrassed. He then took a bow when two people sarcastically applauded him. I'm happy nerd culture has allowed these people to come out, find each other, but pull it in a little weirdos.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2016, 05:28 PM   #43
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Could be more upset because some balding Tarantino-looking on the spectrum mid20's can't give up his youth overweight nerd was literally dancing, full out, during the final credits. The bright green way too tight ninja turtles hoodie was the icing on the autistic cake. Even his friends in the furry hoodies were embarrassed. He then took a bow when two people sarcastically applauded him. I'm happy nerd culture has allowed these people to come out, find each other, but pull it in a little weirdos.
This was great.
Old 02-17-2016, 06:16 PM   #44
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

It was a rhetorical question, Jagger was the first one to say Regina rhymed with fun, took off from there.
Old 02-18-2016, 07:23 AM   #45
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Was just going to post that GreenLantern, the phrase went mainstream after that concert.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to speede5 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2016, 08:13 AM   #46
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Saw it last night, loved it. Me and my brother were both howling throughout. It was refreshing that all the funny parts weren't in the trailers, and honestly, I don't think the trailers did the humour justice.

If you don't like Reynolds, you won't like this movie. It's a forgone conclusion. Reynolds basically is the personification of Deadpool.

Honestly didn't really like Colossus, not the character, the look. I thought he looked better in the other XMen movies. And isn't he supposed to be normal sized? Like a huge dude, but still the size of a human being? Teenage Warhead was pretty meh as well.

But overall, the whole tone was perfect. Some great jokes. My favorites:

Blade 2 and monochromatic clothing cuss by Miller's character.

"Have you seen this man?" - terrible crayon drawing.

The credits were perfect, both prior and after the film.

Also, Crazy Eyes, his girl friend, is a god damn fox!

I'm a comic nerd, but have never really followed much of Deadpool. Why can't he heal his skin?
Old 02-18-2016, 08:26 AM   #47
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
Why can't he heal his skin?
I suspected it was because the damage happened before the mutant gene activated.

Although that kind of contradicts the cancer being healed.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 09:12 AM   #48
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd like to add that I didn't think the violence or nudity was really over the top, and the 14A rating is probably warranted besides a few off-color jokes. It definitely pushes it though.

I'd also like to mention that I'm just happy for Reynolds. He seems like such a good Canadian guy, and he fought so hard for this character to be shown as it's supposed to be, put all the risk on himself and it killed. You may not like him as an actor or find him funny, but you can't discount his dedication.

In an interview on Fallon, the brought up this story where a mom sent him a video on Facebook of her daughter all messed up after wisdom teeth surgery and was crying because she thought she missed Deadpool. Reynolds sent them a picture of himself with gauze in his mouth and brought her and her brother to the premier in New York. Pretty class act.

Last edited by Coach; 02-18-2016 at 09:17 AM.
Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 09:31 AM   #49
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
io9 has also confirmed with concept artist Emmanuel Shiu that the third act battle in "Deadpool" does indeed take place on a Helicarrier. Helicarriers are the signature floating base of S.H.I.E.L.D. and are prominently featured in Marvel Studios' films; notably, Fox does not own the film rights to Helicarriers, so Shiu was asked to make this version look as different as possible from the ones in the Marvel movies, and to also make it look like parts of it had been disassembled.
http://www.comicbookresources.com/ar...os-joker-gifts

I wonder what the point of this is? To pay homage to the great Avengers movies? Or just to get that connection with the bigger universe? Not really sure but it was still very neat and unexpected to see it in the movie.

There is obviously no way Disney is touching Deadpool with a ten foot clown pole.. at least not the version of him we have seen. So I think any crossover to that Universe can be ruled out.
Old 02-18-2016, 10:11 AM   #50
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The films language and violence was over the top but cartoonish, wasn't that bad. The rating was appropriate, the scene of Wade Wilson having love made up his butt with a strap on probably pushed the rating more than anything else.

The Stan Lee cameo and the tiny hand were legitimate funny moments though.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 10:23 AM   #51
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

I saw the movie last night.

I think the rating was warranted, and I would really question those that think it is an appropriate movie for 12 year old, or 14, hell maybe 16 yr old.

First question my 10 yr old son asked was what age he would have to be to see the movie.

I enjoyed the movie, but I will be honest, I would have like a bit more background on Francis et al. It would have been nice to have that fleshed out more, some information about their operation.

I did enjoy the non-linear approach to the movie. I thought it was well done and made use of the character traits specific to Deadpool.

I actually thought the movie could have been darker.

I didn't like the big metal fella. I liked the character and his part in the movie, just didn't like the CGI, I would have like to see a real life man-monster in the part.

Over all it was enjoyable.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 11:36 AM   #52
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
I suspected it was because the damage happened before the mutant gene activated.

Although that kind of contradicts the cancer being healed.
Again, the movie did a bad explanation/integration into the cancer/superpowers and it made no sense.

In the comics, his skin cancer cells have their own healing power so they keep growing back whenever his body is able to fight them.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2016, 11:46 AM   #53
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Again, the movie did a bad explanation/integration into the cancer/superpowers and it made no sense.

In the comics, his skin cancer cells have their own healing power so they keep growing back whenever his body is able to fight them.
I thought the lack of an explanation in the movie was fine. I didn't need some super scientific detailed reason. He had to be exposed to stress to activate his mutant gene. He got all messed up and it wasn't repairable. Any more than that would be for information only and would not have helped the story.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2016, 12:11 PM   #54
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Yeah only people who have read the comics would care about that for the most part? No one I've talked to questioned that.

It would probably come off either cheesy or way too confusing so it's easier to just leave it out.
Old 02-18-2016, 02:41 PM   #55
wontondestruction
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

There's a petition to have Deadpool (not Ryan Reynolds) host SNL.

http://www.change.org/p/lorne-michae...day-night-live
wontondestruction is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wontondestruction For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2016, 02:43 PM   #56
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

That would be awesome.
Old 02-18-2016, 05:07 PM   #57
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh god! On top of Deadpool being freaking awesome, they're bringing in Cable for the next one! That's my favorite Marvel character!

Depending on which Cable they're thinking of using, there's so many casting choices to choose from. Like Reynolds alluded to, Mel Gibson would be the perfect "Old Cable". Just think of his role in the movie Payback. Perfect, just like Reynolds is perfect for Deadpool. Then another option is the SGT from Avatar, he'd be a good choice too. Although I'm not as big a fan of that. Maybe King Leonidis from 300 as well.

Young Cable? Jeez, No clue.
Old 02-19-2016, 06:21 PM   #58
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Really one of the most fun super hero movies that I've ever seen.

And a great lets not rush the origin story movie.

We finally didn't have this super powered villain with a vendetta who wants to destroy or take over the world, he was pretty much just a jerk.

Colossus actually really sucked

Plus point for a Juice Newton opening theme

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 06:51 PM   #59
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

I am not sure what kind of shape Stephen Lang is in these days but I think he'd be the perfect Cable.

cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 07:33 PM   #60
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDnStealth View Post
I am not sure what kind of shape Stephen Lang is in these days but I think he'd be the perfect Cable.

He's busy laying cables for something, judging by his twitter.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote