Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment

Old 12-18-2015, 02:07 AM   #41
ScorchyScorch
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roast Beef View Post
Spoiler!
About Rey..good point. Does make her fighting abilities in that situation seem a little less farfetched.
ScorchyScorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 02:18 AM   #42
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Captain Phasma was a weird one -- she's almost certainly dead too. They threw her into a garbage chute (presumably), and then minutes later the whole planet exploded. Odd character.

I loved it though. Just a great Star Wars movie. And that's something that hasn't been said in 30 years. Great set up too, already can't wait for episode 8!

I was hoping Luke might get to drop a "I am your father" at the end there, but maybe that would've been a little TOO far with the references.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2015, 02:30 AM   #43
ScorchyScorch
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Captain Phasma was a weird one -- she's almost certainly dead too. They threw her into a garbage chute (presumably), and then minutes later the whole planet exploded. Odd character.

I loved it though. Just a great Star Wars movie. And that's something that hasn't been said in 30 years. Great set up too, already can't wait for episode 8!

I was hoping Luke might get to drop a "I am your father" at the end there, but maybe that would've been a little TOO far with the references.
Finn - "What should we do with her?"

Solo - "Is there a garbage chute? With a...compactor?"

Finn - "There is."

ScorchyScorch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ScorchyScorch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2015, 02:43 AM   #44
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I feel like Rey being able to master the force has to do with the balance of the force.

If the rule is a proper balance between light and dark then the force must be equally strong on both sides.

In ROTJ Luke became powerful after Yoda died because as the last Jedi he needed to balance out Vader and the emperor. In the end Vader turns to the light as the force balances.

In this one there are two powerful users of the dark side in snoke and ren. If Luke and Rey are the only users on the light side then there power would have to balance, which is why the force is so strong in Rey.

Also why at times Kylo had a hard time controlling his light side. With Luke and Snoke being master of the light and dark respectively it was the internal battle within Ren that was bringing the balance.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 02:53 AM   #45
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

i made a bunch of people laugh when rey kisses finn on the forehead i blurted out, 'i bet they're brother and sister!'

ha!

i loved the movie - thought it was great
Old 12-18-2015, 03:05 AM   #46
Roast Beef
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
I don't know if she's dead, but I agree that she was a weird one. It feels like something is missing. I bet they cut a lot of her scenes out of the movie to shorten the length. I have a feeling that in the editing room she just became redundant. You had Supreme Leader Snoke, Kylo Ren, General Hux and then Captain Phasma....how many First Order leadership figures do you need?
Roast Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 06:35 AM   #47
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I almost yelled atr the screen when they sent a fleet of X-Wings on an obvious bombing run. Get out yer Y-Wings!!! Holy Yoda! It's like Sending and F-22 on a B-52 mission.

How were they able to get right behind Ren when just moments before they saw her crawling up the side of a wall of a trench across an obvious canyon?

How many of the bad guys got off that planet? Seams most of their forces and command would be wiped out, so where does this leave the next movie? And who is this snookums guy? Who was Ren's mom/Luke's wife? It's like we are going to need prequels to this where they explain where everyone came from....
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 06:40 AM   #48
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Seriously guys? We have become way to critical in this day and age.
:P

I actually agree with a lot of the above, but I don't care. I don't know how they could have made it perfect and maybe I'm just glad that the minor things being pointed out are the extent of the 'bad'. After the prequels this movie felt like Gone with the Wind!

I was torn about how they did Kylo, I loved the temper tantrums, the need to hit refresh on the dark side, But I wasn't keen on them revealing his face, he did look too weak in those shots.

I knew nothing going in. Nothing, I loved that Finn wasn't the new apprentice, I think I squealed when she picked up that lightsabre to finish the battle. I totally bought into the trailer that showed Finn wielding the lightsabre.

Anyway, too much to say and work is beckoning.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to speede5 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2015, 06:48 AM   #49
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

BTW, did anyone else feel sorry for George Lucas at any time? I felt like he would want to go home and slit his wrists after watching someone blow his prequels out of the water.

He brought us this in the first place, and I have huge respect for that, but JJ took it to the next level. Hopefully George is happy with that.

Just like the Jedi, the apprentice has now overtaken the master!
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 07:00 AM   #50
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I should have prefaced my post that I thought it was a fantastic movie, a well deserved entry into the franchise and I'll definitely see it again. Put hey, pickers gonna nit.

Oh, the glowing lightsabers in the snowy forest was exquisite. Massive Kudos to the effects people for that. The colours are so rich and perfectly glowy and reflective off the snow.

Last edited by Fuzz; 12-18-2015 at 07:22 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2015, 07:26 AM   #51
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Plus slicing the trees apart and having them falling was awesome!
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2015, 07:32 AM   #52
Scoopdogg
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The movie was so good on so many levels. I loved the point of view of the Tie Fighters and X-Wing fighters going at it from land. It was amazing to watch them battle it out overhead.

So, is Rey Luke's daughter? One would have to assume but who knows.
Scoopdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 07:40 AM   #53
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoopdogg View Post
So, is Rey Luke's daughter? One would have to assume but who knows.
They certainly went out of their way to try and show that was the case IMO.

So much so that it may be a red herring.

Here are some hints that occurred as pointed out on Reddit:
Spoiler!

This is the quote I thought was supposed to be Maz specifically saying she's Luke's daughter:

"This lightsaber belonged to Luke Skywalker. Before that it belonged to his father. Now it's calling to you."

Last edited by AC; 12-18-2015 at 07:45 AM.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 07:55 AM   #54
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
They certainly went out of their way to try and show that was the case IMO.

So much so that it may be a red herring.

Here are some hints that occurred as pointed out on Reddit:
Spoiler!

This is the quote I thought was supposed to be Maz specifically saying she's Luke's daughter:

"This lightsaber belonged to Luke Skywalker. Before that it belonged to his father. Now it's calling to you."
I think you're right about the red herring, and that Rey is Leia/Solo's daughter, and thus, Kylo Ren's sister. The phrase still applies.

My guess:

Spoiler!

Last edited by Coach; 12-18-2015 at 08:25 AM.
Coach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 08:02 AM   #55
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also why is everything spoiler tagged? Isn't the whole thread spoiler tagged?
Old 12-18-2015, 08:28 AM   #56
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
Seriously guys? We have become way to critical in this day and age.
:P

I actually agree with a lot of the above, but I don't care. I don't know how they could have made it perfect and maybe I'm just glad that the minor things being pointed out are the extent of the 'bad'. After the prequels this movie felt like Gone with the Wind!.
Pretty simple counter to this- I don't think anyone is forcing themselves to find weak spots in the movie. In fact, you would be expect the exact opposite to happen with a Star Wars film- The majority of people certainly seemed to initially overlook the weaknesses of The Phantom Menace, so I think it is good that a lot of fans of immediately pointing out the things they liked and the things that were a little "meh". It is probably because of the prequels that many people are now being blunt and honest with their initial reaction.

I think the film was good, but not great. I think the non-stop pace was a little too much and they could have slowed things down in the middle to build tension and fill in some plot points. And as mentioned in my previous post, my biggest complaint is that the villains were not be nearly intimidating, powerful, or skillful enough. The secret weapon against Captain Phasma is quietly sneaking up on her from behind? Serious?

Anyway, plenty of praise for the film as well- love the mystery surrounding Luke and the lore that has built up around him. I really like how the story left off as well. The 3 new main heros are awesome and very likable. Sure it would be great to know a little bit more back story, but everyone knows this is a trilogy and we will get answers later.

Last edited by Flabbibulin; 12-18-2015 at 08:31 AM.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flabbibulin For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2015, 08:36 AM   #57
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorchyScorch View Post
Okay! Time to dish my thoughts.

Also how did Kylo get ahead of Rey and Finn in the forest, practically already waiting for them, when he was far behind them minutes before? I mean it's seemingly minor things to be picky about, but at least keep the timing of things semi-believable.
Thought Abrams did a lot of small things to help set up the reasons for other events in the movie.

They made a point of showing how high Rey and Finn had to climb outside to get to that pirch in the Star Killer base. Kylo was already on the ground floor level.

So while they are climbing down from that pirch, he was able to run outside and wait for them there.

Quote:

Snoke looked awfully CGI'd, unfortunately, but then we saw it was just a hologram. Hopefully he looks glorious in person. Is he going to be that massive? That's pretty crazy. Any people feeling that he is in fact Darth Plagueis under a new title? That was never revealed. What is his origin? Would've been nice to know.
Yeah I liked that twist. At first they made it look like he was CGI just sitting right there, but then in the end he was a halogram that is on another planet.

Remember they have 2 more movies, need to leave a couple of reveals for Episode VIII. We didn't know who Darth Vader truly was until Episode V either.
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2015, 08:44 AM   #58
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabbibulin View Post
I think the film was good, but not great. I think the non-stop pace was a little too much and they could have slowed things down in the middle to build tension and fill in some plot points. And as mentioned in my previous post, my biggest complaint is that the villains were not be nearly intimidating, powerful, or skillful enough. The secret weapon against Captain Phasma is quietly sneaking up on her from behind? Serious?
I thought the villians were well done, as they were building the characters for future films, while also showing some weaknesses.

More about the power of the First Order as a whole instead of the individuals.

We still don't truly know about Snoke and how powerful he really is (which I liked having some suspense for the next movie). I do believe we will find out he is a past character, maybe even turned Jedi, you can see that it looks like he had a previous lightsabre cut on his head.

General Hux is a charismatic leader who has a take no prisoners approach, you can tell he is jealous of Kylo Ren's position as Snoke's apprentice.

Kylo Ren is powerful but has yet to truly harness his anger to fully take advantage of the dark side. His internal battle with the light side actually works to help limit his powers, and his weakness when battling Rey can be attributed to previous injuries. Additionally his drive to be like his Grandfather clouds his judgement and makes poor decisions.

As for Captain Phasma, I think the hype around how cool she looked as made us overpower her. Really she is still just a chrome stormtrooper, and stormtroopers have always been useless. I actually kind of feel like she is Boba Fett, a character who looked cool but in the end was pretty useless and was defeated by a blind guy spinning around with a staff leading to his jet pack flying him into a wall.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 12-18-2015 at 08:46 AM.
Old 12-18-2015, 09:06 AM   #59
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorchyScorch View Post
Okay! Time to dish my thoughts.

Snoke looked awfully CGI'd, unfortunately, but then we saw it was just a hologram. Hopefully he looks glorious in person. Is he going to be that massive? That's pretty crazy. Any people feeling that he is in fact Darth Plagueis under a new title? That was never revealed. What is his origin? Would've been nice to know.
I'm fine with leaving Snoke for another movie. All we know about him thus far is that he presents as an elderly master of the dark side via hologram with a scar across his face. Leaves a few explanations:

1) He is indeed Darth Plagueis. This would be cool and tie all three trilogies back to eachother. Perhaps Plagueis went into a state of suspended animation after his "death" and was awakened once Sidious died. Perhaps he was there the whole time pulling strings. We are told there can only be 2 Sith, but maybe this was a lie to keep Sidious under control or maybe the state of near death he was in doesn't count as life for that total of 2.

2) He somehow became a master of the dark side in the 30 years since the last film and also had the time to convert and train Kylo. Kind of lame.

3) He is like the wizard from the Wizard of Oz. He has no real power and just fools everyone with his hologram. He could, in fact, be one of the other characters playing both sides.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 09:06 AM   #60
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was that supposed to be Corusant that got blown up with the first volley of shots?