Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2013, 01:18 PM   #161
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Spoiler!
Jimmy Stang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 01:33 PM   #162
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

NSFW!

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2013, 05:43 PM   #163
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

So, once folks see this, thoughts on the game?

Old 10-15-2013, 10:13 PM   #164
Fusebox
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The Canadians were absolutely terrible. Completely outplayed and didn't manage to construct anything of note over the entire match.

Football in this country has a very long way to go, as we all know. Will Canada qualify for another World Cup provided it keeps the current 32 team format sometime in the next twenty years? Very doubtful in my opinion.
Fusebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:10 AM   #165
Jets4Life
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

We're easily better than Americans at soccer. I remember doing spring training for the sport I was in nearly 20 years ago, and had Team Manitoba vs Team Orange County (Canoe-Kayak Racing) battle in soccer. We would defeat the Americans 15-1, 20-2, 14-0, etc. It was not until the Swedish national team came and played along with the Orange County team, that things evened up.

The USA qualifies because most of there players were not born in America. It's the opposite in Canada. We do nothing to entice our stars like Owen Hargreaves to play for Canada. They leave for Europe, and play for countries where a parent or uncle was born.
Jets4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:33 AM   #166
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Who on the USMNT was born elsewhere? The majority of them were born in the US and grew up playing there. The US are leaps and bounds ahead of us in current talent, and more importantly, talent development.
The Big Chill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:02 AM   #167
seattleflamer
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Men's team has a long way to go. Superficially, what really jumped out was the socceroos' modern looking logo. In comparison, I get 1986 was the high water mark but can the CSA move on and update the logo that is 30 plus years old? It is badly outdated and doesn't exactly represent excellence and a winning tradition ala the Habs or Yankees.

seattleflamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 05:24 PM   #168
Fusebox
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
We're easily better than Americans at soccer. I remember doing spring training for the sport I was in nearly 20 years ago, and had Team Manitoba vs Team Orange County (Canoe-Kayak Racing) battle in soccer. We would defeat the Americans 15-1, 20-2, 14-0, etc. It was not until the Swedish national team came and played along with the Orange County team, that things evened up.

The USA qualifies because most of there players were not born in America. It's the opposite in Canada. We do nothing to entice our stars like Owen Hargreaves to play for Canada. They leave for Europe, and play for countries where a parent or uncle was born.
You must be having a laugh. The Americans started two foreign born players against Panama last night, while Canada started three against Australia.

The Americans are light years ahead of Canada in almost all aspects - development, coaching, a strong domestic league, etc. They are almost always the top seeded team in CONCACAF and rightfully so. Canada hasn't even come close to making the World Cup for decades, while the USA regularly gets out of the group stages of the World Cup itself.

Also, it doesn't make any difference where "an uncle" was born. I hate seeing silly, misinformed posts like yours. I've been guilty of enough myself in my time! The USA have built their team around American players, not imports who have little connection to the country. I think that what you are trying to say is that players like Hoilett and Jonathan de Guzman would be more apt to opt to play for Canada if we were the USA instead.

Last edited by Fusebox; 10-16-2013 at 05:29 PM.
Fusebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 06:07 PM   #169
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Canada isn't better than any developed nation with more than a million people at soccer.

I thought everyone knew and accepted that on here?
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to polak For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2013, 08:42 AM   #170
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

The U-17 World Cup kicks off today, and Canad begins their tournament with a game against Austria on Saturday. Here's a preview of some of the Canadians you can watch:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...ampaign=Unpaid

Old 10-17-2013, 08:45 AM   #171
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also, Jason deVos (former captain of the MNT) has a great article on the real problem behind this team right now; not enough players getting first team minutes, which means not enough players with real experience on the team. Some great quotes in there:

Quote:
The grim reality is that our fortunes at the international level are not going to improve any time soon. Until we have a larger pool of players getting regular minutes at their respective professional clubs, we will never be able to compete at the international level. We just don't have the depth of talent needed to do so.

A case in point: Toronto FC midfielder Kyle Bekker has played more games for Canada's men's national team in 2013 than he has for Toronto FC.

In no successful soccer nation in the world does this happen. Yet because we have so few professional players from which to select our national team, we are left with no choice.
http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/story/?id=434326

Old 10-17-2013, 09:08 AM   #172
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

If Kyle Bekker wasn't such a lazy POS he might actually see some minutes for TFC. He was up to his usual Bekkerness against AUS as well. Guy makes a run past him while he half-ass jogs towards him, sees that he's about to get a chance on goal or go 1v1 on one of our CB, THEN he turns on the jets.

He's just a lazy player. Decent passer, horrible crosser (did you see those corner attempts? Ugh) and he doesn't work hard enough to get minutes to overcome those shortfalls.

If the guy would actually work hard out there, he might get a lot more minutes, and may be able to clean up his weaknesses and develop into an important player for the country in the future. Instead, he appears to not really give a crap.

Ossorio looks pretty lost on Canada as well unfortunately, although he's also been having a rough go for TFC of late and the suspension didn't help.

Morgan actually looked decent, glad to see him getting some minutes. Jackson and Ricketts looked much more dangerous than last time we played. Edgar was great at bringing the ball up during qualifying and was doing a good job of it again. Those 3 guys I have definite hope for.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:23 AM   #173
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bekker is the extreme example, and I agree that he has not impressed at all. But deVos' point still remains. Canadian players are not getting minutes in their respective leagues. Bekker shouldn't even be on the radar, but he is, because we have no one else to call up.

Edgar has started 1 game at Burnley this year. Jackson wasn't on the bench at Norwich, and hasn't played a full 90 since August. Ricketts played 700 minutes since 2011, and is just now seeing time in Turkey. Henry and Morgan have ridden the bench for large spells this year. Cebara doesn't have a contract. I can go on.

Old 10-17-2013, 09:34 AM   #174
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

yeah it's rebuilding time.
2014 was the best chance in awhile with McKenna, Hainalt and DeRo etc..

No chance at all in 2018.. gunning for QATAR.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:31 AM   #175
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
Bekker is the extreme example, and I agree that he has not impressed at all. But deVos' point still remains. Canadian players are not getting minutes in their respective leagues. Bekker shouldn't even be on the radar, but he is, because we have no one else to call up.

Edgar has started 1 game at Burnley this year. Jackson wasn't on the bench at Norwich, and hasn't played a full 90 since August. Ricketts played 700 minutes since 2011, and is just now seeing time in Turkey. Henry and Morgan have ridden the bench for large spells this year. Cebara doesn't have a contract. I can go on.
Morgan has played in 20 games and Henry 18. Both have solidified their positions as starters of late, and their play has really picked up.

I'm not disagreeing, as those two are kind of the exception. Ricketts and Jackson have ability at the level required for a CMNT starter, but unfortunately not where they've chosen to sign. This is a huge issue. These guys aren't going to develop.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:59 AM   #176
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Strangely enough, Jackson is one of only 2 members on the national team that is in one of the Top 5 Leagues UEFA (Spain, England, Germany, Italy, Portugal). The other is Pedro Pachecho (playing in Santa Clara), and he is probably not going to be a part of this rebuild.

Old 10-19-2013, 10:43 AM   #177
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Canada's U-17 team drew Austria 2-2 in their opening game of the U-17 World Cup. Goals were scored by TFC Academy players Jordan Hamilton and Elias Roubos. Next game is on Tuesday against Iran.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...es-group-opene

Old 10-22-2013, 08:52 AM   #178
Mango
Marshmallow Maiden

Exp:

Marco Carducci is an unbelievable keeper. Calgary native too. He's been amazing the first two games at the U-17 World Cup.
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 04:28 PM   #179
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

More awesome (HA!) Canadian action, they will play the Czech Republic on Nov 15 in a friendly. Say what you will about the performance, at least they're seeing action against some decent teams as a measuring stick.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/articl...ublic-november

Old 11-08-2013, 04:18 PM   #180
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here's the roster for the upcoming friendlies Nov 15 against the Czech Republic and Nov 19 against Slovenia:

GK- Lars Hirschfeld | NOR / Valerenga Fotball
GK- Kenny Stamatopoulos | SWE / A.I.K.
D- Nik Ledgerwood | SWE / Hammarby
D- Ashtone Morgan | CAN / Toronto FC
D- Andre Hainault | GER / VfR Aalen
D- Adam Straith | GER / Wehen Wiesbaden
D- Nana Attakora | USA / San Jose Earthquakes
D- Doneil Henry | CAN / Toronto FC
D- Marcel de Jong | GER / FC Augsburg
D- Karl W. Ouimette | CAN / Montreal Impact
M- Pedro Pacheco | POR / C.D. Santa Clara
M- Kyle Bekker | CAN / Toronto FC