Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2018, 11:13 AM   #301
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corral View Post
Another public policy gaffe brought to you by the 40 year PC dynasty. Focus almost entirely on maximizing exports for short term gain, sell cheap, and be a price taker on refined products. Brilliant.
So you want the government building refineries now?
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 11:14 AM   #302
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
haha, I don't know what's going on here.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 11:17 AM   #303
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
So you want the government building refineries now?
What? No, that's not how it works. First you need a private company to invest a bunch of money, they you dither while the protesters take over, THEN you buy the plan for the refinery at inflated value. Finally, with expert government project management, you build the thing, and recoup the cost overruns through taxes.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 11:21 AM   #304
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
What? No, that's not how it works. First you need a private company to invest a bunch of money, they you dither while the protesters take over, THEN you buy the plan for the refinery at inflated value. Finally, with expert government project management, you build the thing, and recoup the cost overruns through taxes.
That's not exactly what happened in AB with the sturgeon refinery, but it rhymes.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 12:10 PM   #305
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'll believe in the free market to set prices for retail gasoline when there is real information transparency on prices. Until then .... i assume there is a healthy dose of price fixation going on here.
Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 04:26 PM   #306
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'll believe in the free market to set prices for retail gasoline when there is real information transparency on prices. Until then .... i assume there is a healthy dose of price fixation going on here.
So just unsubstantiated emotion then hey? Will this do?
https://www.shell.ca/en_ca/motorists...l-pricing.html
Frequitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 07:18 PM   #307
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Gas prices in Calgary

So then why does the Strathmore Shell have regular @ 128.9, and the Shell near my house in (and pretty much all other gas stations) in Calgary have regular @ 136.9 on the same afternoon?

Last edited by Ironhorse; 07-10-2018 at 07:21 PM.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ironhorse For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2018, 07:22 PM   #308
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wild guess, but I'd assume the one by you bought the gas for more, and the Strathmore one just got a cheaper load. They won't sell it for less than they paid, unless forced.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 07:40 PM   #309
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
So then why does the Strathmore Shell have regular @ 128.9, and the Shell near my house in (and pretty much all other gas stations) in Calgary have regular @ 136.9 on the same afternoon?
Is gas in strathmore typically cheaper than the city?
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 10:27 PM   #310
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Is gas in strathmore typically cheaper than the city?
Nope. It varies, just like it can vary depending on what part of the city you’re in.
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 09:26 AM   #311
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
How come bread costs more at co-op than superstore?

How come books cost more at indigo than Amazon?

Etc
Old 07-11-2018, 09:42 AM   #312
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
All gas stations @ 136.9?

What's the price at Costco? What's the price at Gas Plus?
Regorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 10:10 AM   #313
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frequitude View Post
So just unsubstantiated emotion then hey? Will this do?
https://www.shell.ca/en_ca/motorists...l-pricing.html
No this isn't transparency. Real transparency is generated when industry players are required to report pricing and factors which influence pricing to an independent monitoring agency in real time (or close thereto) who then transmits to the public - and audits industry on a regular basis. The best example of this model is of course the capital markets. Commodity pools are amongst the darkest areas of the capital markets - have been for decades. So no surprise the retail market is likewise or worse.

Linking me to a Shell page which embeds links to old data - NRCAN website is like 2 years old and one of the other sources is listed at 2007/2008 - not good enough.

Last edited by Corral; 07-11-2018 at 10:13 AM.
Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 10:20 AM   #314
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why should any business have to provide an expose on it's cost model? Supply and demand dictate pricing in a capitalist society. The cost to produce a good can have almost no bearing on it's sale price if the market is willing to pay.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:02 AM   #315
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No this isn't transparency. Real transparency is generated when industry players are required to report pricing and factors which influence pricing to an independent monitoring agency in real time (or close thereto) who then transmits to the public - and audits industry on a regular basis. The best example of this model is of course the capital markets. Commodity pools are amongst the darkest areas of the capital markets - have been for decades. So no surprise the retail market is likewise or worse.

Linking me to a Shell page which embeds links to old data - NRCAN website is like 2 years old and one of the other sources is listed at 2007/2008 - not good enough.
Do you require this information for everything you buy? Why should a public company be required to disclose its detailed cost model to the public and competitors beyond what is required by IFRS accounting standards?
Old 07-11-2018, 11:06 AM   #316
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

I think the difference is that most other utilities that we purchase are much more protected by government.

Gasoline is more like electricity than bread in that regard.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 12:34 PM   #317
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Is your salary on the internet?

Also, I would argue food is more important than gasoline - do we get the exact cost breakdown for your local grocer?

Gas stations aren't very complicated. They basically pay the rack rate for wholesale gasoline from a refinery, pay for transportation to their station, add a variety of taxes, and pay credit card fees. Then they have to cover overhead out of what's left, to pay for staff, property tax, electricity, etc.
Old 07-11-2018, 01:18 PM   #318
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
I think the difference is that most other utilities that we purchase are much more protected by government.

Gasoline is more like electricity than bread in that regard.
I’ll give you that. So what people are getting at is the desire to regulate gasoline to a fixed, transparent and fair rate of return?

That would be very difficult or impossible to implement without Canada wide or North American / global buy in. Provincial regulation is feasible for electricity (let’s not forget though that electricity in this province is not regulated) because most of the production consumed by Albertans is made in Alberta. So the provincial government can get its arms around most of it.

That is not possible for gasoline due to the global nature and transportation ease of the product. Provincial governments have no jurisdiction over the global refining industry or outside the province. Also, the type of long term contracts which enable the implementation of regulated rates of return don’t really exist in the refined products market.

If they regulate the price of gasoline in the province to that below market, producers will just sell it elsewhere and we’ll have no gasoline to buy.

If they restrict exports and force Alberta refiners to sell at below market rates, the Suncor’s, Shell’s and Imperial’s will stop pouring sustaining capital into these money losing assets and run them into the ground. And no one will build new ones because there will be no business case. Then we’ll have no gasoline to buy.

So all that’s left is Venezuelan style provincialization of refining capacity in this province. If you want a provincial government to build, operate and maintain refining capacity then what you save on gasoline costs will more than be made up with by tax increases.

So choose one:
-current gasoline price dynamics
-no gasoline supply
-lower gasoline prices but much higher taxes

The solution to gasoline price dissatisfaction lies in only one place, and that’s in the mirror.

Last edited by Frequitude; 07-11-2018 at 01:44 PM.
Old 07-11-2018, 02:10 PM   #319
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

At work, so little time to write, but I agree that there is not an existing regulatory body for gasoline rates that would fix this issue to anyone's satisfaction.

Outside of the industry there are basic frameworks that could be useful, and are implemented internationally for global product. These are mostly to ensure that the people needing these products for economic (or actual) survival are being served.

The pharmaceutical industry leaps to mind.
Old 07-11-2018, 02:26 PM   #320
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

We obviously disagree on the degree to which gasoline is a need vs a luxury so let’s set that aside and say for a sec it’s a basic need.

When considering the well-being of the poor, why do you support regulating gasoline prices down for everyone including the rich. Wouldn’t an increase in low income support be far more efficient? Count me in for that.

When considering the middle class, it’s my opinion that they’re entitled and need to look in the mirror. There are plenty of ways for the middle class to fit gasoline into their basic necessities budget if they cut their luxury spending.

Last edited by Frequitude; 07-11-2018 at 03:57 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frequitude For This Useful Post: