Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-30-2018, 10:47 AM   #41
Torrie the Whaler
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Sussex Police later denied the use of police drone had caused any disruption.
Old 12-30-2018, 10:48 AM   #42
Torrie the Whaler
Backup Goalie

Exp:

People need to be very careful, drones could be very dangerous.
Old 01-09-2019, 09:10 AM   #43
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hitting London Heathrow now too.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-46803713

Heathrow airport: Drone sighting halts departures

Departures at Heathrow were temporarily stopped after a drone was reported to have been sighted.

Flights from the west London airport resumed about an hour after police said a drone had been seen.

It comes after last month's disruption at Gatwick Airport which saw thousands of people stranded when drones were sighted.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 09:13 AM   #44
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://calgaryherald.com/pmn/news-p...1-203974040f0c

Drone operators will need pilot's certificate under new federal rules

Anyone flying a drone in Canada will have to pass an online exam and get a pilot’s certificate under new rules to be announced today by federal Transport Minister Marc Garneau.

The new regulations, which come into effect June 1, apply to all drone operators, whether they fly for fun, work or research.

Operators will be required to register their drones and mark them with the registration number. A minimum age limit of 14 for basic operations and 16 for advanced will be introduced.

Pilots will have to keep their aircraft below 122 metres — 400 feet — above ground level and stay away from air traffic.

The new rules, which cover drones weighing between 250 grams and 25 kilograms, are aimed at countering a growing trend of drone incursions into space reserved for air travel. Violators could be subject to fines of up to $25,000 and prison.
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2019, 11:27 AM   #45
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
https://calgaryherald.com/pmn/news-p...1-203974040f0c

Drone operators will need pilot's certificate under new federal rules

Anyone flying a drone in Canada will have to pass an online exam and get a pilot’s certificate under new rules to be announced today by federal Transport Minister Marc Garneau.

The new regulations, which come into effect June 1, apply to all drone operators, whether they fly for fun, work or research.

Operators will be required to register their drones and mark them with the registration number. A minimum age limit of 14 for basic operations and 16 for advanced will be introduced.

Pilots will have to keep their aircraft below 122 metres — 400 feet — above ground level and stay away from air traffic.

The new rules, which cover drones weighing between 250 grams and 25 kilograms, are aimed at countering a growing trend of drone incursions into space reserved for air travel. Violators could be subject to fines of up to $25,000 and prison.
I'm not a drone owner, nor do I intend to be but 250 grams seems awfully small. So are we talking about registrations for little johnnies mini drone he got in his stocking?? Seems kinda crazy if so.
greyshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 12:01 PM   #46
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyshep View Post
I'm not a drone owner, nor do I intend to be but 250 grams seems awfully small. So are we talking about registrations for little johnnies mini drone he got in his stocking?? Seems kinda crazy if so.

What kind of payload could a 250g drone carry is probably a more important concern. A plane hitting a 250g drone wouldn't cause much damage, but with explosives or lasers pointers attached - who knows?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 12:37 PM   #47
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Probably not. I have a drone that just tips over the 250gr weight (with battery) and that thing is a rocket. Not the type of cheap, $60 ones you can buy at hobby stores. Odds are, those don't even have the power to fly outside.

Figured this was coming and appears to be more or less what the US is doing. I don't like the $5 registration fee per drone though. That should be a one time set up fee per pilot IMO.

And crap like this in articles drives me nuts:

Quote:
The number of reported incidents more than tripled to 135 in 2017 from 38 when data collection began in 2014.
Ok, so how many of those were actually drones? Posting stats like this just strike me as fear mongering. It's like what happened at Gatwick. 67 reported sightings and then they weren't even sure one was in the area at all?

Last edited by GoinAllTheWay; 01-09-2019 at 12:41 PM.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GoinAllTheWay For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2019, 12:50 PM   #48
DigitalCarpenter
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
I have a few of the "Drone Toys" they tip the scale at around 80g each, they work outside on a calm day.
DigitalCarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 01:01 PM   #49
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

These new regulations seem ridiculously difficult to comply with. The industry should be able to address the concerns by having all drones equipped with an irremovable GPS chip, which would shut them down automatically once they approach a restricted area.
Old 01-09-2019, 02:25 PM   #50
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
What kind of payload could a 250g drone carry is probably a more important concern.
Not very much. I'm no explosives expert but small drones of that size are incredibly easy to overwhelm with any additional weight.
Old 01-09-2019, 02:27 PM   #51
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

To be honest its a complete fuss over nothing, the chances a drone could be steered into a plane either maliciously or by accident is mind boggelingly small, I am far more scared of geese than a drone.
All commercial flights can both take off and land on one engine without trouble, because of geese, this is just stupidity and over reaction on every level.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 03:38 PM   #52
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
These new regulations seem ridiculously difficult to comply with. The industry should be able to address the concerns by having all drones equipped with an irremovable GPS chip, which would shut them down automatically once they approach a restricted area.
Whoah! Let's not let reason and logic get in the way of bureaucracy and more rules.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2019, 07:52 PM   #53
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

It still baffles me that the restricted space is a cylinder, and not an inverted cone with its nose chopped off. You could be below the height of a neighbouring building and still not permitted to fly. Asinine over-regulation.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:01 AM   #54
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
It still baffles me that the restricted space is a cylinder, and not an inverted cone with its nose chopped off. You could be below the height of a neighbouring building and still not permitted to fly. Asinine over-regulation.
Cylinder is simpler to visualize and put into practice although I understand your point. You'd need a calculus equation to figure out the height allowed vs. distance from the airport if it was a cone. On a slight tangent, airspace around airports often is in fact using a series of cylinders of increasing radius as altitude increases. The effect is an inverted wedding cake shape that resembles an inverted cone and is simple to use.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2019, 09:59 AM   #55
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Cylinder is simpler to visualize and put into practice although I understand your point. You'd need a calculus equation to figure out the height allowed vs. distance from the airport if it was a cone. On a slight tangent, airspace around airports often is in fact using a series of cylinders of increasing radius as altitude increases. The effect is an inverted wedding cake shape that resembles an inverted cone and is simple to use.
Not calculus, algebra. And if trigonometry is too hard, simplify it to a constant ratio. And it's a completely moot point if the drone is georestricted and does the calculation for the user.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 10:18 AM   #56
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if these rules apply to radio controlled model airplanes. I have a couple foam planes that I fly around Shuswap lake.
burn_this_city is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 10:21 AM   #57
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was wondering about that as well. I have a few that I used to fly in the park, but I've been to busy since all these new drone rules have shown up. I assume they don't apply to me, since they aren't in the uber unspecific category of drones.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 12:03 PM   #58
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
I wonder if these rules apply to radio controlled model airplanes. I have a couple foam planes that I fly around Shuswap lake.
Almost certainly. Although the word "drone" is used mostly, it really applies to UAV's and UAV was the term used frequently in the regs before these ones.

They use the word drone as it's what the general public mostly commonly associates with them. The proper term would be multirotor.

Anyways, that's splitting hairs but yes, remote control aircraft of any type would certainly fall under this too.

Quote:
Garneau said that people who fly unmanned aircraft such as drones must accept the responsibilities that come with being a pilot.

Last edited by GoinAllTheWay; 01-10-2019 at 12:06 PM.
Old 01-22-2019, 05:29 PM   #59
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Again.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/22/us/ne...ngs/index.html

Flights into and out of New Jersey's Newark Liberty International Airport were disrupted Tuesday night after two drones were reported flying over nearby Teterboro Airport.

The two drones were flying at 3,500 feet and have since cleared the airspace over the airport, Martin said.

Arrivals into Newark Airport have resumed after a temporary stop, but departures are still on hold because of congestion.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:57 AM   #60
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Again.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/22/us/ne...ngs/index.html

Flights into and out of New Jersey's Newark Liberty International Airport were disrupted Tuesday night after two drones were reported flying over nearby Teterboro Airport.

The two drones were flying at 3,500 feet and have since cleared the airspace over the airport, Martin said.

Arrivals into Newark Airport have resumed after a temporary stop, but departures are still on hold because of congestion.
I'm assuming Teterboro was also closed which is pretty significant to the business aviation community.