Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-23-2019, 02:16 PM   #521
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not looking forward to the uphill grind into the wind! I packed extra clothes today, which is an unusual thing to do! Haven't missed a day yet this season.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 02:20 PM   #522
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
How you guys doing out there?
This morning was my first morning ride of the winter for me. It wasn't technically that cold, but my feet still were chilly. Tolerable, but I wouldn't want to try a long ride in much colder weather. I had sport socks, then thermal socks, then winter boots. Any suggestions that won't break the bank? One of my justifications for cycling is to save some money, so spending $300 on a special pair of riding shoes isn't an option for me at this time.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 02:24 PM   #523
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I got these:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and a USB battery pack. They are OK, but heat the foot, not toes. So you get some periphery effect, but I'd rather the heat just be at my toes. Still better than nothing though.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2019, 02:36 PM   #524
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
This morning was my first morning ride of the winter for me. It wasn't technically that cold, but my feet still were chilly. Tolerable, but I wouldn't want to try a long ride in much colder weather. I had sport socks, then thermal socks, then winter boots. Any suggestions that won't break the bank? One of my justifications for cycling is to save some money, so spending $300 on a special pair of riding shoes isn't an option for me at this time.

How long is your ride? On real cold days I go with my Woolie Boolie socks and then throw a pair of regular white socks over top. Baffin winter boots and on the -29 riding days last year I would start to feel a slight chill in my toes around the 30-35 minute mark.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 03:04 PM   #525
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Exp:

My ride is 29 km which is taking me just over 90 minutes these days. I might try mixing up the layers, sport socks over the thermal socks. I was thinking it would be nice to add neoprene/latex in between, like gloves but for feet.
Old 01-23-2019, 03:27 PM   #526
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
My ride is 29 km which is taking me just over 90 minutes these days. I might try mixing up the layers, sport socks over the thermal socks. I was thinking it would be nice to add neoprene/latex in between, like gloves but for feet.
That is impressive for winter (both the time and the distance).
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2019, 03:40 PM   #527
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Exp:

Actually Strava has corrected me that the last two were 1:42. I just didn't want you all to laugh at me.

But yeah, I am purposely taking it easy to lessen the risk of crashing.
Old 01-23-2019, 03:48 PM   #528
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Depending on how large your boots are, you could look into toe or boot covers. It will help protect your toes from the wind. Which is usually the culprit for cold toes.

Last edited by KTrain; 01-23-2019 at 04:20 PM.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2019, 04:19 PM   #529
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

That wasn't too bad! Feet are warm, goggles protected my face (most underrated gear for windy cold riding). About 50 minutes, not terrible.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 05:19 PM   #530
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I opted to leave the goggles at home this morning, that was a bit of a mistake. It wasn't horrible, but I missed the protection. Bit of a slog up 10th st with the goop in the bike lanes.
Old 01-23-2019, 07:36 PM   #531
pope04
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
How you guys doing out there? The ride home for me will suck. Bigtime will be setting speed records.
I underdressed this morning.........for the ride back, I wound up wearing my work slacks under my thermal cycling pants and over my liner shorts. Bad seams - I felt castrated when I got home.

I may try those Aolvo USB Heating Insoles.......the price sure is right.
pope04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 07:40 PM   #532
pope04
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I got these:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and a USB battery pack. They are OK, but heat the foot, not toes. So you get some periphery effect, but I'd rather the heat just be at my toes. Still better than nothing though.
How long does the charge last? I guess that would depend on the battery pack you use?
pope04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 07:48 PM   #533
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

My battery pack is 4000mah and I get 4 x 25 minute rides, so not a lot. But I just plug it in at work ,so no big deal. I only use them below -10 or so.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2019, 10:31 PM   #534
redflamesfan08
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:

Seriously impressive! I won’t be attempting my 20 km ride from the SE for at least two weeks. Cold I can deal with but icy pathways can just ***!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
redflamesfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 12:41 PM   #535
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Exp:

The ice on the pathways isn't too bad if you have good tires and don't take it too fast. I have studs which works fine. I also usually bring my bike to work in the car and ride home the next evening; which allows for mostly daylight to see the ice spots. Right now isn't bad in the morning. If it's clear skies you get an almost full moonlight. If it's cloudy you get the light pollution. I did also just ride home on Monday, so I knew the ice patches I'd hit yesterday morning.

Also check the city's website to see what is being cleared. The first few winter rides I spent a couple of extra kilometres trying to find my way around. I'm also doing a lot more riding on the streets to get around the non-cleared paths.
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2019, 07:28 AM   #536
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

a while back the conversation got around to pants, and someone mention lulemon "dress" pants.

I recently picked up a couple of pairs of these underarmour pants: https://www.underarmour.com/en-ca/li...cid1305042-299

they are on the UA website as hunting pants. they are nicely cut for those of you that have bigger cycling legs. They are advertised as hunting pants, but in reality they are like a pair of 5 pocket jeans with a discreet 6th pocket along the side of the leg that is large enough to fit a utility knife and a couple of sharpies.

They are made from a material that is lighter than the material used in docker pants, and i would say they are cut a little like pants from kuhl. The UA logo is discreetly sewn onto one of the legs. to me they make a nice addition to the work wardrobe especially if you shop has a biz casual/dress for your day.

highly recommend buying. right now if you order from the website, you can get the price down to around $50 per pair if you order enough stuff. they are also available at sportchek.

I also have recently purchased some super comfy jeans from banana rep[ublic of all places. they are noted as traveller jeans. once again very comfrotable material.

this psot is way longer than i expected given the subject, but it is exciting to find comfortable pants that make it more pleasurable to fit into societies constructs with respect to not show up to work in a bathrobe
Old 01-25-2019, 07:32 AM   #537
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

This had me giggle:
Quote:
Stretch-engineered waistband for superior mobility & insane comfort

How comfortable are they? INSANE!
Old 01-25-2019, 07:36 AM   #538
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

A quick search reveals 124 "insane" items, but only 13 for the ladies. Poor ladies, not getting much choice if they want INSANE comfort.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2019, 09:34 AM   #539
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

lol - i missed the marketing hype. i guess i would have to define sane comfort first before going to an extreme like insane.

I do feel these pants are comfortable enough to do lunges in - so I would have to think that is easily an 8 or possibly a low 9/10 on the pant comfort scale if they were introduced to a test group of men.

i am confident these pants would score high on the "best a man can get" scale
Old 01-25-2019, 09:53 AM   #540
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
a while back the conversation got around to pants, and someone mention lulemon "dress" pants.

I recently picked up a couple of pairs of these underarmour pants: https://www.underarmour.com/en-ca/li...cid1305042-299

they are on the UA website as hunting pants. they are nicely cut for those of you that have bigger cycling legs. They are advertised as hunting pants, but in reality they are like a pair of 5 pocket jeans with a discreet 6th pocket along the side of the leg that is large enough to fit a utility knife and a couple of sharpies.

They are made from a material that is lighter than the material used in docker pants, and i would say they are cut a little like pants from kuhl. The UA logo is discreetly sewn onto one of the legs. to me they make a nice addition to the work wardrobe especially if you shop has a biz casual/dress for your day.

highly recommend buying. right now if you order from the website, you can get the price down to around $50 per pair if you order enough stuff. they are also available at sportchek.

I also have recently purchased some super comfy jeans from banana rep[ublic of all places. they are noted as traveller jeans. once again very comfrotable material.

this psot is way longer than i expected given the subject, but it is exciting to find comfortable pants that make it more pleasurable to fit into societies constructs with respect to not show up to work in a bathrobe
Those seem pretty good for everyday wear too. I've been looking for a replacement for the old MEC Rad pants for years now, this might be it. What kind of waistband do they have? Is there belt loops, drawstring, built in belt etc?
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote