Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2019, 04:28 AM   #121
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

What a fascinating documentary, thank you for bumping this thread!

Still hard to believe so much of what happened, what a clusterduck.
Old 01-22-2019, 08:55 AM   #122
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Billy is terrible. Ja seems like an idiot. But what about that asshat attendee who didn't want tent neighbours? Puncturing tents, pissing on mattresses when they are overbooked? Also, why admit it in an interview well after the fact?

"Hey, and fun story to let you know how me and my friends are completely piece of ####s, but we knew this thing was a debacle so we intentionally made it much worse."
Yeah no kidding. When he started that story he was smiling so I figured it was actually funny but it was just them being jackasses. I was like "Why? Why would you cut holes in tents that people needed to sleep in? Why are you describing this as a 'strategy'. Loser"

It was really hard to feel sorry for anyone in that doc besides the obvious people that got screwed over like the Bahamians. How about the bald kid that sued for 5 million and won?? I'm sure it wasn't the greatest time and all but you had a ####ty weekend. That's it, most definitely not worth 5 mil. I doubt he ever gets that money and he never should but if he did he should recoup his own personal losses from attending the festival and then give the rest to the native Bahamians that actually did get screwed over. Working hard hours in the sun for no pay and losing savings they have scrimped decades for, both things this ###### would have no experience in.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 09:28 AM   #123
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
Yeah no kidding. When he started that story he was smiling so I figured it was actually funny but it was just them being jackasses. I was like "Why? Why would you cut holes in tents that people needed to sleep in? Why are you describing this as a 'strategy'. Loser"

It was really hard to feel sorry for anyone in that doc besides the obvious people that got screwed over like the Bahamians. How about the bald kid that sued for 5 million and won?? I'm sure it wasn't the greatest time and all but you had a ####ty weekend. That's it, most definitely not worth 5 mil. I doubt he ever gets that money and he never should but if he did he should recoup his own personal losses from attending the festival and then give the rest to the native Bahamians that actually did get screwed over. Working hard hours in the sun for no pay and losing savings they have scrimped decades for, both things this ###### would have no experience in.
Because he watches too many movies. He wanted to make the tents around his own undesirable to live in so they wouldnt have neighbours who could potentially rob/hurt them during the night.

They were trying to create an insulated zone around their tent.

Still, jackassery of the highest order.

What did you bring to a music festival in the middle of nowhere that was worth stealing? Everyone is in the same boat so punching holes in the bottom is stupid.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 10:49 AM   #124
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

I might have missed this earlier, but how could a rain storm destroy the shelters and mattresses if the shelters were sealed? The water wouldn't have come in from below as it would have been absorbed by the sand. Or did they not even have the common sense to close up the shelters before the storm came?
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 10:52 AM   #125
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the tents weren't closed. So those mattresses were on the ground, unwrapped, on a slope(you could see a lot weren't flat) and water probably just ran through them.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 11:16 AM   #126
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

And that one guy who was at the house where all of the management were staying and he was laughing at the rain storm....? I'm pretty sure his maniacal laughter at the misfortune of others is the textbook definition of a psychotic break.

I felt bad for him. Concert Promoter/Yoga Instructor in Hell.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 11:32 AM   #127
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Telling one of your people that you're going to have to go and suck the %%%% of the customs official to get water released, and that employee being willing to do it is pretty much the sign that you're working for a psycho and maybe you should have bailed at that point.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 06:12 PM   #128
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Telling one of your people that you're going to have to go and suck the %%%% of the customs official to get water released, and that employee being willing to do it is pretty much the sign that you're working for a psycho and maybe you should have bailed at that point.
Ya that was beyond ****ed up. I was shocked he was asked to do it and even more shocked that he was going to follow through. At what point do you take a step back and say hell no?
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 07:12 PM   #129
Stud_McCool
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Is it just me or does Billy McFarland bear an uncanny resemblance to Seth MacFarland?
Stud_McCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 07:26 PM   #130
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stud_McCool View Post
Is it just me or does Billy McFarland bear an uncanny resemblance to Seth MacFarland?
You mean Seth MacFarlane of Family Guy and Orville fame? Because they look nothing alike.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2019, 11:46 AM   #131
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
You mean Seth MacFarlane of Family Guy and Orville fame? Because they look nothing alike.
I actually thought they looked a lot alike. They both have that same grin. They have the same district eyebrows. Very similar complexion, facial expressions, and size.

Lots of people think the same

https://www.reddit.com/r/Showerthoug...esembles_seth/
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 11:47 AM   #132
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I actually thought they looked a lot alike. They both have that same grin. They have the same district eyebrows. Very similar complexion, facial expressions, and size.

Lots of people think the same

https://www.reddit.com/r/Showerthoug...esembles_seth/
We have a different definition of “lots”.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 07:01 AM   #133
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

you know you are working for a top employer when they don't ask you to go and do a job like this.

i found it amazing that all of these people seemingly wanted to work for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Old 01-24-2019, 07:26 AM   #134
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

I'm willing to bet working for Billy was awful before the Fyre festival.

The things people talked about throughout. There was the game "Did you get paid, was it for the right amount?"

The people being paid in bags of cash.

The fact only Billy could see the finances. Like it makes sense that you don't share finances with the janitor, but there was no bookkeeper, or CFO?

He seems like a smooth talking boss. If it wasn't for the fact the FBI did a full professional investigation, you know Billy would have sold his employees down the river. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if he pointed his finger at any of the others.

I'm trying to figure out how to use Billy to demonstrate the difference between a boss and a leader. A boss asks you to blow a customs official as a bribe; a leader does it himself.

What a gong show

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 07:39 AM   #135
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
I'm willing to bet working for Billy was awful before the Fyre festival.

The things people talked about throughout. There was the game "Did you get paid, was it for the right amount?"

The people being paid in bags of cash.

The fact only Billy could see the finances. Like it makes sense that you don't share finances with the janitor, but there was no bookkeeper, or CFO?

He seems like a smooth talking boss. If it wasn't for the fact the FBI did a full professional investigation, you know Billy would have sold his employees down the river. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if he pointed his finger at any of the others.

I'm trying to figure out how to use Billy to demonstrate the difference between a boss and a leader. A boss asks you to blow a customs official as a bribe; a leader does it himself.

What a gong show
I thought they said they all loved working for him, prior to the festival? Thats when the money issues were starting to rear their head.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 07:46 AM   #136
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:

What a gong show
I'll be waiting for your motivational post on LinkedIn.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 08:16 AM   #137
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
you know you are working for a top employer when they don't ask you to go and do a job like this.

i found it amazing that all of these people seemingly wanted to work for him.
Young interns wanting to get a step up and get noticed, thinking this was the next big thing.

Hell, the whole movie is about how influencers really sold this idea. Billy is an influencer himself - just more in the conventional "cult of personality" way.

I watched this last night (thought it was really fascinating), and not too long I watched "The American Meme", also on Netflix and about the ridiculous Instagram stars who will do anything for attention.

I can honestly say those two docs made me feel embarrassed to be part of this generation, with its huge numbers of people who focus so much on image, wealth, and vanity. That said, I know there are a ton of millennials who are doing good in this world, so not all is lost.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 08:30 AM   #138
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
I'll be waiting for your motivational post on LinkedIn.
I'll be sure to let you know when it's up.

A boss asks you to blow someone for a bribe... a leader buys you the mouthwash

Old 01-24-2019, 08:35 AM   #139
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
I'll be sure to let you know when it's up.

A boss asks you to blow someone for a bribe... a leader buys you the mouthwash
The sympathetic boss lackey buys you the mouthwash. The leader doesn't let that situation happen to begin with.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 08:44 AM   #140
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
The sympathetic boss lackey buys you the mouthwash. The leader doesn't let that situation happen to begin with.
... but ... but ... but the pigs, the models wants to see the pigs!

The Following User Says Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post: