Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2023, 01:31 PM   #5821
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

I watched Physical 100 on a whim, and got hooked. Its a good mix of game show / reality TV, and I do like how there's not a ton of trash talking / drama, and everyone's respectful of each other.

On the password sharing thing, it'll be interesting how they implement it. I know it's only a few dollars for an add on account, but I can't justify it. Netflix let the password genie out of the box when they started out initially, even encouraging it, and now they want to take it away. I hope more people cancel and they walk back on the policy.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 02:13 PM   #5822
Leeman4Gilmour
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ha, it didn't even dawn on me the lack of trash talking was part of the appeal but, now that it's mentioned, 100%. That omission from a typical reality show is certainly refreshing.
Leeman4Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 02:42 PM   #5823
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
I watched Physical 100 on a whim, and got hooked. Its a good mix of game show / reality TV, and I do like how there's not a ton of trash talking / drama, and everyone's respectful of each other.

On the password sharing thing, it'll be interesting how they implement it. I know it's only a few dollars for an add on account, but I can't justify it. Netflix let the password genie out of the box when they started out initially, even encouraging it, and now they want to take it away. I hope more people cancel and they walk back on the policy.
Yah will be curious how this goes for Netflix. I don’t see the value in paying for Netflix and won’t be subscribing when we inevitably get cut off (use the wife’s parents Netflix). We barely use it anyway.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 03:23 PM   #5824
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

So if you are travelling or use it on the bus, you are going to have to pay more? I think that’s enough to make me cancel.
ben voyonsdonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 03:40 PM   #5825
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

When we travel I download Netflix content onto my iPad or just watch on the iPad if I have wifi. I don’t see this affecting us (my wife doesn’t use Netflix when we’re away).
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 04:55 PM   #5826
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben voyonsdonc View Post
So if you are travelling or use it on the bus, you are going to have to pay more? I think that’s enough to make me cancel.

What I've heard is you'll have to verify when travelling from an email sent to the primary account, also heard some stuff about logging in once per month from your home address with the device. So you can travel, it's just a question of whether they make it easy or a nuisance.
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 05:50 PM   #5827
Captain Otto
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Yah will be curious how this goes for Netflix. I don’t see the value in paying for Netflix and won’t be subscribing when we inevitably get cut off (use the wife’s parents Netflix). We barely use it anyway.
So you're the reason Netflix is cracking down!!!!

Oiler fans ruin everything!
Captain Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 10:25 PM   #5828
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post

A couple of dollars? The article I read today said an additional $8 per household that you want to add.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 01:10 AM   #5829
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

If they concentrated more on quality content and less on nickel and diming their dwindling userbase, it wouldn't be dwindling.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Traditional_Ale For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2023, 06:52 AM   #5830
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm doing the plan with commercials. there isn't so many that it's irksome, and I can justify the content for $6 a month.

If someone is sharing your account, just tell them to spring for the 6 bucks. If they don't want to, I guess they really don't need Netflix after all.

At the price of things nowadays, $6 is a pretty good value for the content they have.

Funny how people want a company to spend on programming, but bitch they can no longer get it for free.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2023, 11:23 AM   #5831
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

For me, I don't watch enough content on Netflix to justify paying additional for it. I currently share my brother's account, and if they crack down on it, I'd just stop watching Netflix TBH. They barely get any good movies anymore now that all the studios do their own streaming services.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 11:38 AM   #5832
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
I'm doing the plan with commercials. there isn't so many that it's irksome, and I can justify the content for $6 a month.

If someone is sharing your account, just tell them to spring for the 6 bucks. If they don't want to, I guess they really don't need Netflix after all.

At the price of things nowadays, $6 is a pretty good value for the content they have.

Funny how people want a company to spend on programming, but bitch they can no longer get it for free.
There’s no free version of Netflix.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 12:30 PM   #5833
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben voyonsdonc View Post
You'll basically have to prove you're traveling and reconnect to your home internet (which you'll choose and set) within 31 days. Netflix then confirms whether the device ID and the IP address are appropriately associated to avoid blocking those users. This is going to be annoying at hell for people who legitimately watch while commuting/traveling, stream at school or work, other households etc. but I think the biggest thing that this benefits for Netflix is clearing out hackers that get into other people's account.

The issue that many people have is that Netflix isn't really as good as it used to be and many are paying more to use it less. That's why people were sharing so that it made sense for when they occasionally wanted to watch something.

Sharing wise, I think it won't stop too many people if it's $8 per month. $2 maybe I'd pay it, but not $8. Especially when there's VPN fixes or buying 4K Apple TV, Roku, Fire stick etc. and "traveling", then logging in at home every 31 days is a much more cost effective approach to spawning new users on Hi definition vs standard/low definition ($21 per month).
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 12:46 PM   #5834
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Yep. And the $6 plan doesn't have all of the content and the $10 basic plan is ass for resolution. You'd require a minimum of $16.50 to spawn a new and "acceptable" account or $21.50 for a hi definition one.

I'm not annoyed at Netflix trying to make an extra buck, but the way this was rolled out is dumb.

Netflix should have advertised that existing accounts could spin off a profile and get a premium plan for $6.99 for 6 months on those profiles and get new users addicted to their own accounts/clean up old premium monster accounts. And/or offer the ability to have a maximum of 2 locations that you can access for cheaper, or for a maximum amount of streaming/pay as you stream before it needs to be renewed or whatever (ie: 20-50 hours/6 months or $8 monthly unlimited). I'd consider those options vs what this is. My parents and inlaws probably stream less than 10-20 hours a year. I'd pay $8-20 a year for them to watch the occasional thing (basically almost comes out to the cost of renting a couple of movies), but not $8 a month straight up if they're barely using it.

Netflix is going with offering less for more money. Again, I have no issue they can no longer deal with password sharing. I'm just saying the way they announced and rolled it out is a horrible way to do business. This is a royal PITA for me because my kids go watch at the grandparent's place and now I'm leaning towards canceling and subscribing to someone else or take turns subscription hopping instead of sticking with Netflix.

Whoever is the strategist is a moron. They could have done this in a better way and be even more profitable IMO. They nickel and dimed and now they won't get get as many nickels and dimes when they could have walked away with a quarter IMO. This move going to further erode Netflix's market share and strengthen other streaming platforms IMO, even if they're more profitable for it. I'm not paying $8 a month. I'll travel to and from my parents or brother's place every month with my $40 streaming device in exchange for access to a shared alternate like Crave etc. for now and that's easy mode vs the option to go all out on Plex.
Old 02-09-2023, 12:56 PM   #5835
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
There was for all the people piggybacking off other people's accounts that are now bitching because they can't do it any more.
Old 02-09-2023, 01:06 PM   #5836
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
There was for all the people piggybacking off other people's accounts that are now bitching because they can't do it any more.
https://www.seattletimes.com/enterta...older%20letter.

Partially because Netflix used to tell us to do it. Again, Netflix is in their right to change their thinking. But the way they are rolling these new rules out make people like you think that anyone who piggybacked ever is a dirty son of a gun and they aren't addressing people who share with someone who rarely ever uses their profile. That is the issue I have with the strategy.

This honestly just means more annoyance for me rather than change. My kids from my household will travel with a registered device of my household to stream or cast at the grandparent's place, and/or if I am visiting, I will stream from my phone (registered device) and cast to their TV. If they have something they want to watch, the device can continue traveling there until we go and retrieve it or 31 day limit expires.
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2023, 01:44 PM   #5837
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
https://www.seattletimes.com/enterta...older%20letter.

Partially because Netflix used to tell us to do it. Again, Netflix is in their right to change their thinking. But the way they are rolling these new rules out make people like you think that anyone who piggybacked ever is a dirty son of a gun and they aren't addressing people who share with someone who rarely ever uses their profile. That is the issue I have with the strategy.

This honestly just means more annoyance for me rather than change. My kids from my household will travel with a registered device of my household to stream or cast at the grandparent's place, and/or if I am visiting, I will stream from my phone (registered device) and cast to their TV. If they have something they want to watch, the device can continue traveling there until we go and retrieve it or 31 day limit expires.
If it's true 100 million people are sharing passwords, I can see why they want some of that money and it's worth the risk in ticking off a percentage of them.
I think it's one of those situations that no matter how they do it, they'll tick people off. At least they rolled it out about the same time they offered a low cost option.
The Following User Says Thank You to GordonBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2023, 02:00 PM   #5838
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

I thought Netflix walked all this "no more password sharing without paying us an extra fee" stuff back last week? Or was that just w.r.t. the US?
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 02:02 PM   #5839
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Mine is. Because I'm using your password.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 10:25 PM   #5840
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Honestly, I pay for Netflix, D+, Prime, and have access to others Crave / AppleTV.

I've say my families utilization of the 5 apps is in order.

Disney Plus
Crave
Prime
Netflix
Apple TV.

Pretty much the only reason to keep Netflix at this point is that I implicitly trade access to Netflix for Access to Crave. If they kicked my parents off Netflix, I'd still use their Crave and I'd probably cancel Netflix. Because the while Netflix hasn't dropped to the bottom of the viewership list, I like what Apple TV offers a lot more than what Netflix offers. Right now I basically don't cancel Netflix, because I don' want to go tell my parents I am closing their account.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote