Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2022, 08:47 AM   #2041
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Roman14 View Post
Was Doug Schweitzer a good representative? I know my MLA rarely responds to any of my concerns and was a yes man to anything Kenney said regardless of the concerns of his constituents? There are 5 UCP MLA’s all within 15 minutes of Calgary - Elbow. Hopefully one of them should be useful enough to help with any issues anyone should have.

That said you are not wrong that there should be a representative. Hopefully some good candidates run for the next election and you get an MLA that listens and represents their constituents well. We’ve had way to many head nodders who govern for the party, not the people they represent.
Does Danielle Smith live in Calgary?

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 08:57 AM   #2042
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Chase away all sources of income Notley?
Citation needed please. I personally know many private businesses that thrived under her leadership.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2022, 08:57 AM   #2043
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Because they do it to themselves. They are so set on winning at all costs, they embrace whatever they can stuff into the "big tent", even if it is syphilis and rat poison.
This has not worked out well for them in Canada.

... Hell, other than 2016, this hasn't worked well for them in the USA much, either - the success of the right there is mostly just grassroots-level cheating at a large scale.

At some point if you're a reasonable, level-headed CPC / UCP voter, or even someone who just doesn't like the opposition, you have to put your foot down and help hand those entities not just a narrow defeat but an ass-kicking that completely eviscerates any notion that the party can survive catering to these idiots.

And hey, I know Notley isn't a great option (in fact you might despise her), but if that message needs to be sent, and I really think it does, electing her is a better protest vote than trying to bring yourself to vote for JT, right?
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno

Last edited by CorsiHockeyLeague; 10-12-2022 at 08:59 AM.
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2022, 09:00 AM   #2044
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
This has not worked out well for them in Canada.

... Hell, other than 2016, this hasn't worked well for them in the USA much, either - the success of the right there is mostly just grassroots-level cheating at a large scale.

At some point if you're a reasonable, level-headed CPC / UCP voter, or even someone who just doesn't like the opposition, you have to put your foot down and help hand those entities not just a narrow defeat but an ass-kicking that completely eviscerates any notion that the party can survive catering to these idiots.

And hey, I know Notley isn't a great option (in fact you might despise her), but if that message is going to be sent, and I really think it does, electing her is a better protest vote than trying to bring yourself to vote for JT, right?
The problem is that the inmates are running the asylum at this point, and they always double-down, even when they eat #### in an election.

Additionally, the Right-of-Centre types have seen how abysmally they do in elections when they don't Unite The Right so they'll continue to circlejerk with the space cadets in a desperate hope to retain power and relevance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 09:06 AM   #2045
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

Quote:
She is fighting for economic prosperity and respect for all Albertans.

After what she said yesterday, I can 100% guarantee she is not fighting for this Albertan.
Old 10-12-2022, 09:08 AM   #2046
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Hmm... Not sure what you mean. The Supreme Court is effed for all eternity - seems pretty successful to me. If you mean they still routinely lose elections, I guess, kinda.
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 09:16 AM   #2047
belsarius
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Because they do it to themselves. They are so set on winning at all costs, they embrace whatever they can stuff into the "big tent", even if it is syphilis and rat poison. Doesn't matter, they are votes! Except then this happens. Conservatives need to realize one day to exclude voices that don't match their values, or they soon find their values overrun.

It's really all Preston Manning's fault.
This man really poisoned the conservative well.
The @NHLFlames are the first team to feature four players each with 50+ points within their first 45 games of a season since the Penguins in 1995-96 (Ron Francis, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Tomas Sandstrom).
belsarius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to belsarius For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2022, 09:31 AM   #2048
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1580216885022367745
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 09:34 AM   #2049
b1crunch
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
Quote:
a REAL journalist knows when to answer questions and when to report the news. Sadly journalism has been replaced with partisan drones who editorialize because they believe viewers (readers) are too stupid to form their own opinions.
This you?

Last edited by b1crunch; 10-12-2022 at 09:37 AM.
b1crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to b1crunch For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2022, 09:39 AM   #2050
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Taube there displaying that he has no idea what a “Karen” is and thinks parroting the term makes him look like he’s twisting things around like scoring some kind of win against lefties.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 09:43 AM   #2051
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

I think we were all just called Karens.
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 09:44 AM   #2052
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I was actually coming here to post this absolute drivel of an article.

"Oh no, people are complaining about the new Premier - never mind the #### Trudeau signs everywhere."

"Look at Ford in Ontario! He was despised, then people liked him (and his tough stance on covid restrictions within the province)"

Nice use of the word "Karen" to be edgy
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 09:54 AM   #2053
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

With respect to the Taube article, I can at least agree with him in some respect.

When Notley got in, i was livid. "We need to unite the right!" i shouted. Doom and Gloom, bankruptcy etc.

But then something happened: she ran the province in a competent and cautious way.

Sure, the royalty review was poor timing - a major drop in World oil prices - but once the review was completed, she abided by the recommendations.

Given the worsening economy (again, caused by a drop in world oil prices) she focused largely on the economy and diversification while also trying to maintain similar social services.
Should she have cut them more? the per-capita spend in Alberta is too high for my liking, but hey, im a centrist.

Income tax reform to a progressive tax? meh. i was calling for a PST due to the downturn.

The NDP typically sided with management on government union wage freezes.

She introduced a carbon price scheme that was required anyway, and had better use for the money than some of the even most ardent conservatives on here will admit.

Minimum wage increase? I agreed was needed.

Labour code changes? some of the union stuff was a little far, but none of it was out of line with BC or Ont.

Farm labour standards? probably one of the most necessary, and yet ridiculously divisive legislation in that time.

Pipelines? well, how has that been going?

It's laughable to me that some are looking at the NDP as driving sources of income away, when that clearly didnt happen. On the flip side, even members of her own caucus, as well as the former Premier have lambasted the Sovereignty Act as a death blow to Alberta business akin to Montreal businesses fleeing to Toronto.

But, lets give her a chance.
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 09:58 AM   #2054
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
. On the flip side, even members of her own caucus, as well as the former Premier have lambasted the Sovereignty Act as a death blow to Alberta business akin to Montreal businesses fleeing to Toronto.
That really says all you need to now, if Jason Kenney thinks your idea is the ####es.......while it most likely is.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 10:03 AM   #2055
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Labour code changes? some of the union stuff was a little far, but none of it was out of line with BC or Ont.
Which parts were a little far?
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 10:03 AM   #2056
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I was actually coming here to post this absolute drivel of an article.

"Oh no, people are complaining about the new Premier - never mind the #### Trudeau signs everywhere."

"Look at Ford in Ontario! He was despised, then people liked him (and his tough stance on covid restrictions within the province)"

Nice use of the word "Karen" to be edgy
Daniel
Why are newspapers even letting a column like this run? It's the most juvenile name-calling thing I've ever read in a supposed legitimate publication.

Anyway, Danielle's comments yesterday sounded about like the most stereotypical "Karen" quote I could imagine.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 10:10 AM   #2057
AFireInside
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Who would you rather have in that position? My way or the highway Kenney? Chase away all sources of income Notley?
I voted in this leadership race and Smith was not my top choice. I am neither a supporter or a critic. I will say though that she seems to be willing to interact with many people and explain herself like she did her entire campaign. She is fighting for economic prosperity and respect for all Albertans. Even when the media has been irrational or harsh she hasn’t backed down and remains calm to explain her point and thought process.
What is it that you want from a politician?
It very much seems that urban areas seek one style of governance and rural areas seek another. I don’t believe that rural or urban are wrong, they just have different needs.
A politician that is going to ram one way or the other down the others throat whether they are comfortable with it or not will not work. A politician who will listen and adapt and offer choice and options will work best. She seems more likely to offer that than previously mentioned politicians. We need a someone who will do anything for the betterment of Albertans. The fake games and strong worded letters to Trudeau, just for him to ignore us, and push policies that hurt us are not cutting it for me.
I just don’t see how there can be so much dislike to someone coming in and being a strong voice for Alberta when there was already so much dislike for Kenney.
What do you have against her other than you just don’t like her and don’t know why other than the tv sent the message that way.
Literally everything you say you want is a description of Notley and the NDP.

Also talking about how it's just media that's the issue, you obviously weren't paying attention how the media treated Notley and the NDP.

Danielle Smith is an absolute embarrassment of a choice for leader. Kenney was bad enough, and this is levels above that.

Also, can we just stop with the "Trudeau is ignoring us" stuff. Every province says this crap and it's just tired and untrue.
AFireInside is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AFireInside For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2022, 10:13 AM   #2058
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

One step forward and two steps back on Smith's first day.

Walking back the stupidity of the proposed sovereignty act was a positive but then the hyperbolic comments on oppression of anti-vaxxers were a complete fumble.

If her strategy is to re-litigate the pandemic in the coming months she is going to lose the election. The majority have moved on - nobody cares anymore other than those on the extremes.
Zarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 10:14 AM   #2059
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
Which parts were a little far?

Requiring all holidays to fully paid out to part time staff whether they were supposed to work that day or not.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 10:19 AM   #2060
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Does Danielle Smith live in Calgary?
Born in Calgary, was on the Calgary school board, was on Calgary radio. I believe she resides in High River and that's where she last ran.

More of a connection to Calgary and lives in a bedroom community to Calgary.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote