Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Who's first? Ovechkin to score his 800th goal or any other player to score 600?
Alexander Ovechkin — 34 yrs, 159 days 213 83.53%
Patrick Marleau — 40 yrs, 161 days 4 1.57%
Sidney Crosby — 32 yrs, 200 days 10 3.92%
Steven Stamkos — 30 yrs, 15 days 1 0.39%
John Tavares — 29 yrs, 156 days 1 0.39%
Nikita Kusherov — 26 yrs, 251 days 1 0.39%
David Pasternak — 23 yrs, 335 days 1 0.39%
Connor McDavid — 23 yrs, 41 days 13 5.10%
Leon Draisaitl — 24 yrs, 119 days 2 0.78%
Auston Matthews — 22 yrs, 159 days 9 3.53%
Voters: 255. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-23-2022, 07:49 PM   #381
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

OV scores twice vs the Jets to take sole spot in 2nd all time in goal scoring. Incredible achievement. Really hope he takes first spot from Gretzky before retiring!
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 07:53 PM   #382
flamingred89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hot Damn. Crazy to think 1000 would be in his radar if it weren't for 2 lockouts and Covid. Remarkable career and fun to watch.
flamingred89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 08:02 PM   #383
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't think Matthews or any player of this era has the longevity required. Not necessarily physically but mentally. Those guys are making upwards now of $80-100MM if they play over 10 years in the league at a high level...so at 30 or even 35 after playing the game for 12-17 years professionally you can retire or at least take the foot off the gas and enjoy the tens of millions of dollars you have, or push hard on another 4 years and make another $30M to try and pad stats to maybe get a record?

That's the part that makes this impressive, the fact he hasn't slowed, though slightly adapted his game, is still a force.
browna is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2022, 09:07 PM   #384
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it's even crazier when you consider that Gretzky got 189 of his goals in 2 seasons (the 1st and 3rd highest leaguewide scoring seasons since WW2).

Obviously 705 goals over Gretzky's other 18 seasons is still insane, though it averages out to 39 per year.

And 323 goals over his best 4 seasons (1st/3rd/4th/5th highest league scoring seasons). Gretzky had 637 goals by age 29...so 257 goals after that in his final 713gp (which actually still sounds more impressive than I expected).

Ovi has 378 goals in 630gp since turning 29.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2022, 07:11 AM   #385
browntrout
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Beyond belief to me why so many posters still endorse this man... thousands of Ukrainians die each day...but we let him off the hook...the guy at the very least could remove his social media accounts that show Putin support and people would of been happy with that...the angle he spins about danger to this family is just crap...it has more to do with protecting his business ventures in Russia. Lot and lots are speaking out in Russia against the war and are fine...

Yes he is a very talented hockey player, but he is just a coward and disgusting human being
browntrout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to browntrout For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2022, 08:30 AM   #386
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browntrout View Post
Beyond belief to me why so many posters still endorse this man... thousands of Ukrainians die each day...but we let him off the hook...the guy at the very least could remove his social media accounts that show Putin support and people would of been happy with that...the angle he spins about danger to this family is just crap...it has more to do with protecting his business ventures in Russia. Lot and lots are speaking out in Russia against the war and are fine...

Yes he is a very talented hockey player, but he is just a coward and disgusting human being
Certainly a time and a place to discuss Ovechkin's support of the Putin regime - and that will forever cast a bit of a shadow over him - but the guy is 2 1/2 years away from breaking an incredible record that many thought would never be touched. It's special.

Congrats on 802 Ovi!
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to malcolmk14 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2022, 11:06 AM   #387
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Would you like to be held accountable for everything Danielle Smith or Justin Trudeau did? While I probably wouldn't have a problem speaking out publicly against those buffoons, I don't think anybody should be forced to.

Frankly I have a lot more empathy for somebody raised in a Propaganda Machine not aligning with my ideal moral compass than any North Americans who has lost the plot and supports our local demagogues despite access to vast amounts of information and viewpoints.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2022, 11:16 AM   #388
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Won't pretend to know all the inner workings of the shady side of the Russian economic and social structure for high profile people, but given all the corruption and lawlessness, IMO you're either in good with the Putin's and oligarchs who control the Russian economy, or you're destroyed or harassed by them.

IIRC when Ovechkin had rumors of extortion attempts etc was when he was trying to do things solo. As soon as he got associated (which likely itself doesnt come cheap) with the right crowd including Putin, he and his interests and family was probably well protected.
browna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2022, 12:41 PM   #389
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

So, OV is on pace for 50 yet again this year and he's 37. He's at 802 and if he continues at his pace this year, will finish the season at 830 and will need 64 more, which will take him 2 more seasons (or 1 full season and half of another season after). I really hope and actually do think it'll happen now after going through the math...
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2022, 08:26 PM   #390
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Would you like to be held accountable for everything Danielle Smith or Justin Trudeau did? While I probably wouldn't have a problem speaking out publicly against those buffoons, I don't think anybody should be forced to.

Frankly I have a lot more empathy for somebody raised in a Propaganda Machine not aligning with my ideal moral compass than any North Americans who has lost the plot and supports our local demagogues despite access to vast amounts of information and viewpoints.

Wayne Gretzky was in full support of the invasion of Iraq. He didn’t need to support it but he did so willingly. Is he better or worse than Ovi here?

I genuinely don’t know. I’ve always been a huge Ovi fan but I don’t see how his legacy isn’t tarnished over this.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2022, 08:36 PM   #391
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Perhaps we should leave ideologies out of sports records like this. If you watch hockey you're supporting ....well.... White privileged males who do bad things to people. News at 11.
Old 12-24-2022, 10:22 PM   #392
The Fisher Account
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Dude could have just changed his instagram avatar a year ago and saved himself a ton of trouble, but.. nope
The Fisher Account is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2022, 10:23 PM   #393
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Perhaps we should leave ideologies out of sports records like this. If you watch hockey you're supporting ....well.... White privileged males who do bad things to people. News at 11.

The atrocities perpetrated in Ukraine this very moment are because of one man. And make no mistake, these are 20th century type atrocities. The very invasion is an atrocity.

At a bare ####ing minimum, could the athlete remove his profile pic of him with the perpetrator of this catastrophe?
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2022, 10:42 PM   #394
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:

Ya but fans will forgive pretty much anything when it comes to sports. Murder, rape, domestic violence, assault, drunk driving, etc.

Supporting a murderous dictator is actually pretty low on the list of concerns. It’s not like he’s personally killing Ukrainians. He’s just friends with the guy who’s responsible.

Just remember, “If Hannibal Lecter ran a 4.3, we'd probably diagnose it as an eating disorder“. That’s also true for hockey.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2022, 10:49 PM   #395
browntrout
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

[QUOTE=powderjunkie;8546042]Would you like to be held accountable for everything Danielle Smith or Justin Trudeau did? While I probably wouldn't have a problem speaking out publicly against those buffoons, I don't think anybody should be forced to.

Frankly I have a lot more empathy for somebody raised in a Propaganda Machine not aligning with my ideal moral compass than any North Americans who has lost the plot and supports our local demagogues despite access to vast amounts of information and viewpoints.[/QUOT

Get #$&#@& real man.... seriously....I don't even have a social media account supporting our premier or prime minister and even if I did....you are actually bringing down our premier or prime minister to putins level....what a beyond belief stupid comment you just made
browntrout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to browntrout For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2022, 07:13 AM   #396
sharkov
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

People need to get over the fact that not everyone in this planet shares exactly our ideology and viewpoint.
Old 12-27-2022, 08:36 AM   #397
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkov View Post
People need to get over the fact that not everyone in this planet shares exactly our ideology and viewpoint.
Not every viewpoint deserves respect.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2022, 09:23 AM   #398
The Fisher Account
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkov View Post
LOL. Guys come on, some people just like to support genocide. It's totally fine to have that ideology or viewpoint!
The Fisher Account is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2022, 10:43 AM   #399
sharkov
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisher Account View Post
LOL. Guys come on, some people just like to support genocide. It's totally fine to have that ideology or viewpoint!
Not wanting to have nato bases next to your country means you support genocide?
Old 12-27-2022, 11:06 AM   #400
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Let's keep this #### in the off topic forum, please.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Samonadreau For This Useful Post: