Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2021, 04:36 PM   #101
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It's possible that good coaches won't come here so we get the leftovers.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Red For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2021, 04:38 PM   #102
camm13
Scoring Winger

Exp:

yeah at this point when ward gets the can, they'll probably promote Huska to head coach.
camm13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 04:40 PM   #103
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
Can’t say I blame them to be honest. Why would anyone want to come here? The second the team loses a few games you’re the biggest idiot in town and everyone wants to can you.

I’ve seen some pretty gross things posted about the coach on social media. It’s totally immature and unwarranted. It’s beyond criticism. There’s some pretty nasty things being said about another human being over the way he coaches a game. Some people need to grow the #### up.

I love this city and this team but I don’t think I’d ever want to coach here.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2021, 04:41 PM   #104
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
Can’t say I blame them to be honest. Why would anyone want to come here? The second the team loses a few games you’re the biggest idiot in town and everyone wants to can you.

I’ve seen some pretty gross things posted about the coach on social media. It’s totally immature and unwarranted. It’s beyond criticism. There’s some pretty nasty things being said about another human being over the way he coaches a game. Some people need to grow the #### up.

It's been crazy to watch

There's plenty of legitimate criticisms to make, so I'll never understand peoples needs to completely make stuff up to #### on him over
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2021, 04:46 PM   #105
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Coaches hear that everywhere though. It's a tough gig, no doubt.
Old 02-05-2021, 04:54 PM   #106
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Been my experience as well

We can speculate on the reasons all we want but frankly, the proof is in the pudding and all of our coaches in recent memory have essentially been bargain bin level. Peters got 2 million, that's still below average for coaches. I'd be curious to see what Hartley got but considering he wasn't even in the NHL at the time, I'm guessing it wasn't much
Is it actually? I'm not convinced of this. It seems like this would have been pretty close to average for the time Peters's contract was signed.

I don't doubt that the Flames cut corners to save money, but I am also sceptical that they are cutting these corners with their high-end personnel. The Flames brought Brian Burke in, and that was not cheap.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 02-05-2021 at 04:58 PM.
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 04:56 PM   #107
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Is it actually? I'm not convinced of this. It seems like this would have been pretty close to average for the time Peters's contract was signed.

I don't doubt that the Flames.es cut corners to save money, but I am also sceptical that they are cutting this corners with their high-end personnel. The Flames brought Brian Burke in, and that was not cheap.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
It's hard to say really, since a lot of coach contracts aren't known.

Contracts signed the same year as Peters are Jim Montgomery (1.6m) David Quinn (2.4m) Tortorella (2.5m) Deboer (3m) Trotz (4m)

Last edited by btimbit; 02-05-2021 at 05:01 PM.
Old 02-05-2021, 05:22 PM   #108
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
Exactly, hire a good coach and if the team still plays like junk I'll admit the core needs to be changed. Enough of these bargain bin signings. The Dallas series should have been enough tell Treliving to not give him the full-time job.

This right here! Get blown out tomororw night and make a move. If it doesn't move a needle well clean house everyone is available.
kukkudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 05:44 PM   #109
NewFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

This is my opinion. This coach is not task master. His players doesn't have any clear role. His lines doesn't have any roles. Yesterday Ryan told on radio that his line plays against all opposition lines, played against the first line and against fourth line.
But Jets players told they will play better when he and other winger win board battles and quick transition.
Hartley was task coach that's why he bullied some of his players to do certain task like fighters, 4th liners.
For me if coaches make every player and every line has a role it makes them easier to play. And promote who is playing and performing.
And find and use individual player's best skills to compete that job. Not force them what he thinks should work. These players doesn't need teaching like rebuilding team. These players need role, performance and play their games.
NewFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 06:04 PM   #110
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewFan View Post
This is my opinion. This coach is not task master. His players doesn't have any clear role. His lines doesn't have any roles. Yesterday Ryan told on radio that his line plays against all opposition lines, played against the first line and against fourth line.
But Jets players told they will play better when he and other winger win board battles and quick transition.
Hartley was task coach that's why he bullied some of his players to do certain task like fighters, 4th liners.
For me if coaches make every player and every line has a role it makes them easier to play. And promote who is playing and performing.
And find and use individual player's best skills to compete that job. Not force them what he thinks should work. These players doesn't need teaching like rebuilding team. These players need role, performance and play their games.
A player whose name escapes me now once said that playing for Sutter was easy. Sutter would tell him one thing before each game during the playoffs , outhustle or outplay this guy. And this is all he focused on. Sutters job was to match lines, player knew exactly what to do. If he couldn't out skill him, he would out work him.
Old 02-05-2021, 06:08 PM   #111
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's been crazy to watch

There's plenty of legitimate criticisms to make, so I'll never understand peoples needs to completely make stuff up to #### on him over
This is true. You’d think half of CP attends the practices because they all know what each coach is telling the players to do or what “system” they coach.

Sometimes players don’t do what they are told. Especially if they’ve done it one way a long time and are being asked to change.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 06:52 PM   #112
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

So most of us agree that inconsistency is part of the core of the team's identity.

Do you think that's primarily a product of the coaching? Or do you think it's from the actual roster/leadership?
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 07:45 PM   #113
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
So most of us agree that inconsistency is part of the core of the team's identity.

Do you think that's primarily a product of the coaching? Or do you think it's from the actual roster/leadership?
Unless we get a genuine NHL-calibre coach, we’ll never know.
Macindoc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Macindoc For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2021, 08:21 PM   #114
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know it’s a different sport....BUT,

Leadership and winning starts at the top, as in ownership.The players are accountable to the coach.
Pittsburgh Steelers have had three coaches since 1970. All 3 had little to NO head coaching experience when hired.

“Pittsburgh Steelers – The Steelers have been a consistent threat ever since Coach Chuck Noll took over the Steelers reigns. A huge reason as to why the Steelers are ranked one is they have had the best ownership in the league this entire time. The Rooney family is consistent, they care about their players and the players play hard for them. Since 1970 they have had just three Head Coaches and all three have won Super Bowls.”

Also , Steelers have the best winning percentage and tied with Patriots for most Superbowls, since 1970.

In 50 years....Mike Tomlin continues to be their 3rd HC.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to timbit For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2021, 10:32 PM   #115
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

The same could be said for about half the teams in the NHL. And the other half play in cities where no-one cares about hockey at all. So those are your options if you want to be a head coach of an NHL team. Hear how dumb you are after every loss, or don't hear a thing because no-one cares.
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 11:29 PM   #116
Sec214
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Contracts signed the same year as Peters are Jim Montgomery (1.6m) David Quinn (2.4m) Tortorella (2.5m) Deboer (3m) Trotz (4m)
That’s our next coach.
Old 02-05-2021, 11:30 PM   #117
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:

So we overpay mediocre coaches is what you’re saying.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 11:32 PM   #118
wired
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
In My Opinion, the Flames organization is NOT a premiere destination for both coaches and players at this point.
The organization is starting to take on an Oilers stank. (roast me, I would too)
The inability to do what is right for the TEAM, be it a quality player, or a quality coach, is looking like what the Oilers have done for years.
I don't think that this team will entice elite players or coaches to come here for quite a while.
My take on this team, which I am finding it getting harder to sit down for 3 plus hours to watch a game.
wired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 11:33 PM   #119
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
So we overpay mediocre coaches is what you’re saying.
haha, yeah certainly looks like it
Old 02-06-2021, 12:48 PM   #120
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Do you believe that it is worse in Calgary than any other Canadian city, or any of the cities in the US where hockey is on the front page?

Because it isn't.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post: