Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2018, 03:53 PM   #1681
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FragileMind View Post
FYI.Delacour #2 is on a temp green and will be for some time.
Oh? What are they doing?
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 09:44 PM   #1682
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Wondering as well, Delacour has some of the best greens in Alberta. Sirocco close behind.
csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 10:06 PM   #1683
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

They lost it this winter. Resodded it and it didn't take.
Old 06-07-2018, 10:14 PM   #1684
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Took us 3 hours to play the back nine this evening which is insane as we normaly take 3.5 hours to play 18. We were told it was slow but c'mon! Do something about slow play!
Old 06-08-2018, 06:28 PM   #1685
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

My course (Nanton) was hosting Shell Oil and it's annual golf tourney this past afternoon. My pro was looking for members to volunteer and I offered to help with checking carts for damage and collecting empties and garbage.

I was surprised/shocked by the amount of unopened alcohol that was left in the carts. By the end I had collected 24 cans of beer and 12 cans of Mott's Spicy Ceasers. About a dozen bottles of Gatorade. Then there was Titlest golf balls the players said I could keep. My pro said to keep what I found and it turned out to be nice haul for an afternoons work
Old 06-08-2018, 08:46 PM   #1686
Lumby Lager
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
My course (Nanton) was hosting Shell Oil and it's annual golf tourney this past afternoon. My pro was looking for members to volunteer and I offered to help with checking carts for damage and collecting empties and garbage.

I was surprised/shocked by the amount of unopened alcohol that was left in the carts. By the end I had collected 24 cans of beer and 12 cans of Mott's Spicy Ceasers. About a dozen bottles of Gatorade. Then there was Titlest golf balls the players said I could keep. My pro said to keep what I found and it turned out to be nice haul for an afternoons work
If you have enough time, working at a course even as a volunteer marshal/starter has incredible perks. A few of us at the course I work at always volunteer and help out the big tournaments as that happens most of the time. I would strongly recommend it to anyone that has a golf addiction with time to spare.
Lumby Lager is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lumby Lager For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2018, 11:57 PM   #1687
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumby Lager View Post
If you have enough time, working at a course even as a volunteer marshal/starter has incredible perks. A few of us at the course I work at always volunteer and help out the big tournaments as that happens most of the time. I would strongly recommend it to anyone that has a golf addiction with time to spare.
Meeting interesting people is another perk. This guy pulls up in his cart and looks at me and says: "Chris? Is that you?" "Remember me? It's Dan, we went to High School together" Then it dawned on me who it was. After I finished my duties and he had his dinner, we had a few drinks in the clubhouse and talked about what happened in our lives since HS.

I tried the marshall thing once but quickly realised you can't marshall your own course as you become not well liked by some of your members. It didn't matter that I was doing my job and asking members to keep up with the pace of play. My late father found out the same thing when he was a marshall.
Old 06-09-2018, 08:15 AM   #1688
Lumby Lager
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
Meeting interesting people is another perk. This guy pulls up in his cart and looks at me and says: "Chris? Is that you?" "Remember me? It's Dan, we went to High School together" Then it dawned on me who it was. After I finished my duties and he had his dinner, we had a few drinks in the clubhouse and talked about what happened in our lives since HS.

I tried the marshall thing once but quickly realised you can't marshall your own course as you become not well liked by some of your members. It didn't matter that I was doing my job and asking members to keep up with the pace of play. My late father found out the same thing when he was a marshall.
I completely understand and have had glimpses of that. LOL its actually quite amazing how golfers react to the presence of the course cop. I have a membership at a different course then where I marshalled. I just cover the guys when they go away on vacation or can’t make a shift, it’s great having industry privileges and perks in the Okanagan for only working one or two days a month.
Lumby Lager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 06:08 PM   #1689
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Played Willowpark for the first time. I’m a pretty casual golfer, but my word what a treat.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 06:33 PM   #1690
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

So I'm playing Lakeview the other night and the marshal came by and chewed me out for standing my carry bag on the teebox. I was actually pretty surprised - I've been golfing for over 20 years and when I walk a course I typically stand my bag off to one side of the teebox (I think most people do this, but I've never given it much thought). Obviously I never bring my bag onto the green, nor would I bring a pullcart on the teebox.

I'm curious to see other walkers thoughts on this.
Zarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 06:58 PM   #1691
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

Yeah, that’s one of those “stupid rule, accomplishes nothing” things, but I avoid it automatically. Lots of silly things like that in golf.
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 08:55 PM   #1692
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

The marshall is dead wrong. That is completely acceptable.
Old 06-10-2018, 12:31 AM   #1693
trieu8
Backup Goalie

Exp:

How often do you guys have a complete game? Ex. being able to drive the ball well but not making putts, striking irons pure but can't drive etc. Its very difficult for me to have it all come together during a round but feels amazing when it does.
trieu8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 07:21 AM   #1694
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thats the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever heard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarley View Post
So I'm playing Lakeview the other night and the marshal came by and chewed me out for standing my carry bag on the teebox. I was actually pretty surprised - I've been golfing for over 20 years and when I walk a course I typically stand my bag off to one side of the teebox (I think most people do this, but I've never given it much thought). Obviously I never bring my bag onto the green, nor would I bring a pullcart on the teebox.

malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 08:26 AM   #1695
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarley View Post

I play with a guy who is a walking encyclopedia when it comes to the rules and when I told him about your experience he just howled in laughter. There is no such rule.
Old 06-10-2018, 09:33 AM   #1696
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The rule exists at city of Calgary courses for some reason. But I ignore it when I play there. They are so stupid some times.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 09:39 AM   #1697
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trieu8 View Post
How often do you guys have a complete game? Ex. being able to drive the ball well but not making putts, striking irons pure but can't drive etc. Its very difficult for me to have it all come together during a round but feels amazing when it does.
Twice. I shot 86 both times it was a magical experience. Been playing golf 20 years. I did start back 9 and Kanaskis with 4 straight pars after shooting a 61 on the front which was also pretty cool.
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 10:08 AM   #1698
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Speaking of golf gear grinders.

We were carting as a foursome in mid morning and keeping a good pace. There was a twosome in front of us, however, and they were half a hole to a hole ahead. The group behind us clearly had some good players as they were consistently hitting ~300 up the middle of the fairway. Not once did they get close enough to play through.

So we finish 9 and stop for 5 minutes (if that) at the clubhouse and a red faced heart attack of a man comes yelling at us after the green. Screaming how far behind we were, how they were getting pushed from the group behind, how the marshal will kick us off. We offer him to play ahead but this crisis of a human being keeps yelling.

So what happens as we roll up to 10? The group ahead just finishes teeing off as they awaited the group in front to clear the green. The marshal rolls by half a hole later thanking us for keeping pace.

If anyone in this thread (those complainers in pages past) does this, #### you.

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 10:17 AM   #1699
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trieu8 View Post
Most rounds, but usually for about 16 holes.
Old 06-10-2018, 01:59 PM   #1700
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I can pull everything together for about 14-17 holes. Lol.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
net5 , punch out , royal boulder , tpc fox hollow